Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 Toplef10DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 I22gcj10DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 Toplef10DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 I22gcj10DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

DON'T LAUGH!!

+40
MasonGarden
Ha-v-v
MSJ
Goosegirl
Old Hippie
Nonna.PapaVino
walshevak
Glendale-gardener
BackyardBirdGardner
bettyd_z7_va
madnicmom
Furbalsmom
happycamper
FarmerValerie
dizzygardener
windrider1967
Lavender Debs
quiltbea
Megan
ander217
middlemamma
nursekat424
kimbertangleknot
camprn
Garden_State
aspiegardner
carolintexas
PB
SFG in Chicago
jenjehle
boffer
martha
sunshine0408
happyfrog
Amy in Idaho
Retired Member 1
chocolatepop
timwardell
bonnie0128
nancy
44 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 Empty Re: DON'T LAUGH!!

Post  nancy 3/14/2011, 9:16 am

Oh, you are all so awesome! Family & friends have expressed sympathy, but only my sfg family truly understands the magnitude of my potential loss. Thank you all so much!

We did not go down there yesterday, but I will swing by on my way home tonite. The Ohio River crested overnight, but will still be above flood-stage until Friday. Hopefully we dry out mid-week. Although they are predicting rain for much of the week. Oy! So now I need to find myself some good boots. Shocked

As for the offer of seeds - thank you so much! I think I'm okay. The only thing I've planted so far is the peas. And there are still more in the package. If the beds are washed away, the butterfly bed is easily replanted. It just won't be as lush as I was hoping this year would be. All of the perenials were 1st year plants last year.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your well-wished. It gives me a warm-fuzzy and I'm truly grateful! I love you I love you I love you
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/14/2011, 9:28 am

I grew up in Illinois, and usually not too far from the Mississippi river, all along that river is some of the absolute best farmland, but when it floods it's so devastating. Down river where the Mississippi and Ohio meet it gets even worse and all of that water heads on down to New Orleans. I come from a long line of farmers, seeing anyone loose their crop, no matter how big or small, just tears me up inside Keep us updated and let us know how we can help.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 3/14/2011, 9:57 am

nancy wrote: The only thing I've planted so far is the peas. And there are still more in the package. If the beds are washed away, the butterfly bed is easily replanted. It just won't be as lush as I was hoping this year would be. All of the perenials were 1st year plants last year.

Uh, that has got to be frustrating. I bet your butterfly beds will still be gorgeous in spite of the flood. I'm so SO sorry. I'd be totally gutted...
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 3/14/2011, 12:25 pm

((HUGS)) I saw pics of Kellogg Ave. I'm guessing you in that area. Prayers being said for you and the garden.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 3/14/2011, 6:12 pm

So I stopped by the community garden on my way home. I've been feeling blue all day thinking about it and I wanted to see the latest. The first thing I see is 2 wild turkeys!! As soon as they saw me, they began trotting up the railroad tracks. What a hoot! I was so surprised, I didn't even think to get out my camera (phone). When I got a little closer to the garden, I noticed about half a dozen Canada geese floating around. They took off as soon as they saw me, too. Jeesh, I'm not that scary! cyclops But after seeing the blue heron on Saturday, I'm rather excited about the wildlife this flood has brought. Here is how it looks today:

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 20110314

It is getting a bit lower, I can see the tops of a lot more things! And that might be one of my boxes in the background. (Hopefully!!) It is supposed to rain later tonite, but hopefully we don't get much. Thanks again for everything! You all are awesome!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 Empty Praying For You

Post  bettyd_z7_va 3/15/2011, 12:00 am

Nancy,

First - I just want to let you know how much I've enjoyed reading your wonderful posts and seeing the pictures.

I wish I had come to love gardening sooner so that I could have shared it with my daughter the way you are with yours. She is 34 and has given me 3 wonderful grandsons. The middle one is 7 and loves to help his Nanny garden. We started our first butterfly garden last year and only raised one Monarch from a cat I found on my milkweed. There were more cats, but I only had a very small butterfly net house that I had found at a local bookstore and I didn't have much milkweed and was afraid I would run out, so I left the rest of the cats outside.

Can you share more about how you raised the frogs? You bought an aquarium to keep them in, right? This would be a fun project for us this spring. We heard the frogs when we passed the river on our way to church last night!!

I will continue to pray for you and your garden. You will surely have rich soil deposits left when the water recedes. I hope 'old man river' dumped it right in your SFGs!

Please keep us posted. (((HUGS)))

Betty
bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 3/16/2011, 2:46 pm

No picture today, although I did take several last night. I bought both of us rain boots so we will be able to help with clean-up once the water clears out (but the mud will still be there). We waded out as far as we could, which was big fun! The water seems to have dropped another foot, but is still about 2 feet deep in places (I'm guessing). When we looked hard enough, we were able to make out some of our tomato cages! I'm now really happy I spent the money on those bright cages! So maybe if they didn't float away, the boxes are still there, too. The water was as smooth as glass last night and it was very pretty with the late afternoon sun and the reflection of the trees & clouds. It was hard to leave.
I found out last night that there will be a Landscaping Beautification Contest for the townhouse area in my village. Guess where I live?! My brain has been spinning ever since! My front yard faces north and parts of it never see the sun. So I ordered some native shade-dwelling plants today and am so excited, I feel giddy! One of them (yellow lady's slipper) I've wanted for nearly 20 years! I have a lot of clean-up to do before I can plant anything. I'm going to try to spend 15 minutes a day out there.
A couple of years ago a friend gave me some rescued paperwhites from a house that was about to be demolished. I put them in the front garden and they have grown, but never bloomed. Can I relocate them now or would that be too much stress on them? I need their space and I want better for them. A win-win!
Oh, I'm so glad I have somewhere to focus my gardening energies for the time being! I was getting twitchy not being able to get to my allotment at the community garden. Oy!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/16/2011, 2:59 pm

Happy gardening in that front yard!!! I hope you win!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/16/2011, 3:00 pm

You are so amazingly positive in spite of this flooding. That's great.

True, the only thing positive about a flood is the replenishment of nutrients. But, that doesn't usually appease anyone today.

Glad to see how you observe wildlife around you, too. I hope you win your contest. You would certainly be an early favorite for a Before And After Contest. I would love to see pictures of the sunset if you have them.

Keep Chuggin'!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/16/2011, 3:40 pm

nancy wrote:A couple of years ago a friend gave me some rescued paperwhites from a house that was about to be demolished. I put them in the front garden and they have grown, but never bloomed. Can I relocate them now or would that be too much stress on them? I need their space and I want better for them. A win-win!

Well, if they've never bloomed.... why not try? Surely if they've been growing in place for a couple of years, there's no harm in moving them again. Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 3/16/2011, 7:05 pm

Wow Nancy! I only recently joined this forum and I just read this whole thread from the beginning. I really enjoyed your posts and my heart just sank when I saw the pic of your lake! What part of town is your garden? East side, right? I hope it starts to recede soon, todays weather had to help a little!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 3/16/2011, 7:39 pm

Hi GG! Welcome to the forums! I'm so excited to have another local here! I'm in Mariemont and we have a community garden that is very near the Little Miami. I'm so glad you enjoyed the story so far - I love telling it. Very Happy

Here is last night's pic. It is from the same spot, only I'm looking a bit more east:

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 20110315

We went down again tonite and were suprpised at how much lower it was! We can actually see a few of our boxes - and it looks as if one of them has definately moved. Ah well. It's better than it could have been. I'm still holding out for being able to walk to my allotment by Saturday.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 20110316
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 3/17/2011, 8:22 pm

I WALKED TO MY GARDEN TONITE!!! I had to ford a small stream to get to it, but that's why I bought those rain boots! Part of the road along the border is still under water, but mostly it's clear.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 20110318

Here is what I found: I am missing the boxes for a 3x3, 2 4x4s, and my strawberry box. The soil is still there without boxes. What a hoot! I have found 3 of the boxes - in 3 different areas! The garlic is happy and green, acting as if nothing happened. The strawberries look like they lived through a volcano and are now covered in ash. They are perky, though. I didn't see any peas. The fennel is fine as is the daisy.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 20110319

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 20110320

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 20110321

So there is still much work to do, but I don't have to start over. What a blessing. Thank you all for the prayers, thoughts, and good wishes. I will sleep tonite knowing that it is still there.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 20110322
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/17/2011, 8:31 pm

Wood floats and my guess is your boxes just floated away. Some new wood to keep the soil in place and you should be good to go and looking green soon.

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/17/2011, 8:40 pm

WOO-HOO!!!! smiles happy banana

I guess we can add "Flood-Resistant" to the many excellent attributes of Mel's Mix! ;-)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 3/17/2011, 8:56 pm

That is amazing. Really.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 Empty Don't Llaugh

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/17/2011, 9:02 pm

Nancy, what a wonderful note to see first thing this afternoon...you have a garden again! thank you for the pictures. I'm so happy for you. Nonna in St. Helens, OR cheers
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/17/2011, 9:12 pm

Certainly much better than you had expected. So Happy for you. As you said "lot's of work" but manageable.

Here's to more sunny and less rain.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/18/2011, 12:19 am

Just read this entire thread this evening. What an inspiration! I love the story of all your plants and crittiers.

Nancy, I am so sorry you had all that flooding. The little bit of wetness I had in my basement is NOTHING compared to what you and others have gone through. It looks like at least some of your garden is going to be okay though. And how exciting it must have been for you to finally got to walk to it. It is getting better!! I am hoping to be able to actually see mine in a couple of weeks. There is still so much snow.

You mentioned mowing to keep the weeds down. I am assuming that is between your actually squares. Is that correct? I am a very lazy gardener. By the time I get home from work in the afternoon or evening, I don't feel like weeding etc. I just want to putter in my garden,...watering, pruning, smelling, tasting, etc. So I put down heavy cardboard in between my boxes and then put down wood shavings that I get from a local woodwork shop. It keeps the weeds down so I don't have to worry about anything except what is growing in the boxes. It is a huge timesaver and looks very nice too. Someday I may be able to put down nice gravel or brick but this works and it is free. Just thought I would make that suggestion. If you don't have to spend time weeding and trimming, you will have more time for growing. Laughing

Thanks for sharing and best of luck with the garden this year.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/18/2011, 8:46 am

Looks like your strawberries have a nice layer of river silt all over them, you should have strawberries coming out your ears this year. Just give them a good rinse and let them go. Let's hope this dousing of your garden is a blessing and you have a bumper crop this year, after all floodland is the most fertile soil on the earth.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 3/22/2011, 10:48 am

Saturday morning the kid and I went down to the garden for some post-flood clean up. I carried the 3 beds back to their places - crap were they heavy!! I discovered that I was actually missing 5 beds - 2 4x4s are still "missing". I now have a million little green leaflets growing in every bed! So we stirred up the spring bed really well. Then we added the 2 paper towel carrot sets and the 2 broccolis. I love just burying paper towels! We'll see how well it works. We dunked them in water first. We also replanted 2 squares of peas. The flood was too much for them after all.

We stirred up Kid Bed #1. This bed has settled a bunch - or some of the soil did float away. We need to add more, but in the meantime she decided she also wants peas in her bed, so we added a square for her. The daisy may go either way. I'm not sure how happy it is right now.

It was a great day - sunny and mild. We got a lot of work done. And we walked around looking for the last 2 boxes and checking out everyone else's allotments. Many are still under water! We are very lucky to have the location we do.

I went back down again last night and added 2 squares of spinach. I put the yarn grid on the spring bed - I went with red this year. =) I pulled a bunch more weeds from near the beds - they come up so nicely with the ground so soft & wet. I also believe the oregano is going to make another attempt. And the butterfly bush has some new growth, too. Not too sure about the fennel in the butterfly box. But the purple coneflower might be coming up. I just love this time of year!

I took a couple pictures Saturday but will have to wait to add them until I get home. Happy Tuesday!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 3/22/2011, 11:01 am

Completely forgot to tell you about the front yard! I moved all of the paperwhites to the backyard on Sunday. They will get sun there and maybe someday they will bloom. They are intermixed with the daffodils, which look gorgeous!! So now I have extra space in the front. I may try foxglove - I heard it grows well in shade. And some hellebores there, too. On the other side of the walk I pulled as much ivy as I could. I'm sure there are some roots underground that have ideas of coming up, but I think I can control it now. (The power of positive thinking!) The soil under the yew is so lovely! I cannot wait to plant in it! I also realized that if I chop down the yew, I will lose most of the shade and now that I've planned a shade garden, I don't want to lose it. I may just trim it to an acceptable size - it's easily over 10 feet tall now. So the fronts are coming along. I'm going to go to the nursery next week. Yea!

And I was talking to a friend's mother-in-law Saturday night and asked if I could take some of her chicken & goat poo if I brought my own buckets. It took her a moment to realize I was serious, but she is more than willing to part with it. Cool They have a party on Opening Day every year - which is next Thursday!!! - so I will have more compostables soon. Woo Hoo!!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/22/2011, 5:49 pm

Yay for compostables
Nancy wrote:And I was talking to a friend's mother-in-law Saturday night and asked if I could take some of her chicken & goat poo if I brought my own buckets. It took her a moment to realize I was serious, but she is more than willing to part with it. Cool
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 Empty Don't Laugh

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/22/2011, 6:09 pm

Congratulations on your great source for 'compostables." We used to have a neighbor with horses and a couple of llamas. I'm here to tell you, llama poo is the best! Tidy little beasts, they always deposit in the same place, so poo harvest is so very simple. It doesn't appear to be a "hot" manure either, and a shovel-full dug into holes between each tomato plant sure makes them 'maters eager to produce!
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 4 Empty RE: Don't Laugh

Post  Goosegirl 3/22/2011, 9:51 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:I'm here to tell you, llama poo is the best!

Hmmmm, Llama Poo. There are a few sheep ranches around here that have llamas in with their flocks - llamas bond with the animals they 'shepherd' and become great protectors. I think you may have just given me idea for the sources of my last 2 needed composts!

Lamby Poo and Llama Poo, to the Rescuoo!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next