Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Toplef10DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 I22gcj10DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Toplef10DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 I22gcj10DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

DON'T LAUGH!!

+40
MasonGarden
Ha-v-v
MSJ
Goosegirl
Old Hippie
Nonna.PapaVino
walshevak
Glendale-gardener
BackyardBirdGardner
bettyd_z7_va
madnicmom
Furbalsmom
happycamper
FarmerValerie
dizzygardener
windrider1967
Lavender Debs
quiltbea
Megan
ander217
middlemamma
nursekat424
kimbertangleknot
camprn
Garden_State
aspiegardner
carolintexas
PB
SFG in Chicago
jenjehle
boffer
martha
sunshine0408
happyfrog
Amy in Idaho
Retired Member 1
chocolatepop
timwardell
bonnie0128
nancy
44 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Empty Re: DON'T LAUGH!!

Post  madnicmom 4/22/2011, 9:00 am

:hug: When watching the news , you were the FIRST person I thought of! I'm so sorry for your flooding but so cool about the butterfly's.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/27/2011, 9:35 am

Nancy, how are you and your family doing?
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/27/2011, 9:54 am

Wet. Actually the kid and I are fine. I bet there is a bit of water in the basement, but nothing we haven't seen before.

The garden, however; is just as flooded as it ever was. I went down last night & took my daily picture (I can't post it from work - sorry) and the black lab was having her swim. This time her owner brought a chair & was relaxing while she swimmed. It was great fun to watch. I really doubt the whole spring garden thing though. It will be time to put in the tomatoes once this all dries out. Ah well.

Thank you so much for asking! I really appreciate it! I have faith that once this front moves out, we will be sunny & dry for a few days.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/27/2011, 10:03 am

Yes, Nancy we are supposed to have a couple of actual sunny days on Friday and Saturday! sunny
It'll give you and I, the rest of the folks in this area a chance to figure out "Plan B" for the SFG's this year. While not completely flooded out, all of this rain has pin-pointed low lying areas in the area where I was planning to put my SFG that I didn't know existed, and which is partly underwater now. I have to decide whether or not to try to regrade that area some time this weekend when we get a break from the rain, or move the boxes just enough to get them above water.
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/27/2011, 10:17 am

Oh MG - I'm so sorry to hear it! The first time we flooded (back in early March) it was really cool and the only thing I had planted was peas so it didn't feel like too big of a loss. The second time it just made me sick. I was devastated! This time, I'm just resigned. It isn't the end of the world, and it isn't permanent. I WILL have tomatoes, watermelon, and pumpkins this year!

I hope it all works out for you, whatever you decide. Best wishes to you and everyone else, too! Have you heard from any of our other Cincinnatians recently? I saw that our forum leader had posted earlier, so I hope that means the levee situation isn't affecting him too much. Dry thoughts to all except those in Texas who would love this water.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 993580
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/27/2011, 10:29 am

Yes, Glendale-Gardner and Madnicmom touched base with me following the thinkGREEN event this past weekend. We didn't get to connect there, but connected via PM afterwards. But I'm with you, I'll have tomatoes, watermelons, peppers and strawberries for sure!
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/27/2011, 10:49 am

Sorry I missed the event. I really wanted to go, but with the garden under water, there was no point buying more compost yet. Plus the weather, plus family coming to town, plus the price of gas, etc. We just decided to stay close to home. I do want to go back up there though when I have time to walk around.

Is anyone planning on going to the Civic Center Garden Sale? I'm going on the 8th. And if anyone hears of a native Ohio plant sale, please let me know. Glenwood Gardens isn't doing theirs this year. Sad
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 4/27/2011, 10:56 am

I am so sorry, Nancy. It's just been awful to read what has happened to your gardens and all the work you put in. When I came into this thread and realized y'all were talking about it having flooded a second time, it just broke my heart. Now I see it's happened a third time, and I just don't know what to say. Sad

I'm glad you've got baby monarchs to help you through. DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 993580
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/27/2011, 12:00 pm

MasonGarden wrote:Yes, Nancy we are supposed to have a couple of actual sunny days on Friday and Saturday! sunny
It'll give you and I, the rest of the folks in this area a chance to figure out "Plan B" for the SFG's this year. While not completely flooded out, all of this rain has pin-pointed low lying areas in the area where I was planning to put my SFG that I didn't know existed, and which is partly underwater now. I have to decide whether or not to try to regrade that area some time this weekend when we get a break from the rain, or move the boxes just enough to get them above water.

If this is the sunny area of your garden then I vote for tabletops. Or at least knee highs. That's the neat thing about MM, you can really raise your beds and get a good harvest.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/27/2011, 12:11 pm

Thanks, Kay. Yes, this is the sunniest part of the yard - of course! I haven't come up with a tabletop option that would pass muster with the HOA (primarily because of the large wooden legs), but I hadn't seen any examples of knee high gardens. Hmmmm . . . Does anyone have pictures of knee high gardens? Also, how do you deal with the bottoms of tabletop/knee high gardens so that they don't rot out?
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/27/2011, 12:29 pm

check out my thread where I shameless stole ideas from Boffer and
Chexmix. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5250-i-m-making-progress-and-gardens

1 block high surrounded by flower containers might satisfy your HOA. Or short, stubby legs with vinyl trelles attached to hide them. Hardware cloth on bottom if you are worried about plywood bottoms rotting. I used it because of weight. Check out the vinyl trellis Acara uses. It is so decorative and he has a HOA to contend with.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 4/27/2011, 1:22 pm

Or you could just build it a bit higher, and fill the bottom with sand. Our garden spends a good amount of time in standing water, and this is what we did. It's working great! We have 6-9 inches of sand in the bottom, with variation due to the lay of the land. What a Face
Miss M

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/27/2011, 1:25 pm

Ah! That's a lower cost option. The boxes that I am using are 18" high, so I can afford to give up a few inches on the bottom to sand!
cheers

So I just need to get bags of sand at the big box stores? Not any kind of sand in particular?
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/27/2011, 1:41 pm

If this flooding becomes a regular thing, I might consider raised boxes, too. I could swim to them! :drunken:

It's hard to believe as I sit here looking out the window that we have more severe storms coming. I hope everyone stays safe this afternoon! DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 3868
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/27/2011, 1:45 pm

You, too!!

MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 4/27/2011, 1:52 pm

MasonGarden wrote:Ah! That's a lower cost option. The boxes that I am using are 18" high, so I can afford to give up a few inches on the bottom to sand!
cheers

So I just need to get bags of sand at the big box stores? Not any kind of sand in particular?

You've got a couple of options. You don't want play sand (usually what the box stores have) or mason's sand, because they are too fine to give you the drainage you need. The "sand" they have to go under pavers is crushed cement. We got 3 cubic yards of "fill sand" (I'm pretty sure that's what it was called) delivered to our house. This was for 100 sq. ft. of garden, for a 6-9" depth of sand (closer to 9", for most of it). I got it from a landscape supply company. It's coarse sand and tiny rocks. Plus a few larger rocks, but that doesn't matter. I spent around $120 for that much sand.

If you aren't building something that big, you may be able to get a similar coarse sand in bags somewhere. Just make sure it is coarse.

I put down about 15-20 layers of newspaper (which we had anyway, since my uncle gets the paper), then chicken wire, then landscape cloth. We brought the landscape cloth most of the way up the sides to keep the sand and MM from escaping through the cracks between the timbers. What a Face MM on top of the sand, grid, and ready to go! My husband made sure to build it nice looking enough that the HOA couldn't complain about it, and even put seating/workspace around the whole thing.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Gardensupports3

Here it is with the sand. You can see the tiny stones and the texture of the coarse sand:

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Gardensand

You can even see that it was standing in water at the time we were filling it, off to the right side. There's standing water on the left, too; you just can't see it as well because it isn't quite as deep.

All the vertical framing is optional, of coarse. We are using that for bird netting, and will use it for plastic come winter. We put chicken wire on top to help support the plastic and keep it from puddling up there.
Miss M

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/27/2011, 1:56 pm

Wow!! That's definitely a HOA-friendly box! What a Face

thanks
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 4/27/2011, 2:15 pm

Thank you! Very Happy I love it, and the plants in it are poised to take over the world!

There is a fourth course of wood at the bottom that is more difficult to see. It is recessed, like a kitchen base cabinet toe kick. My husband just took those 2x6s (and 2x4s, in places where the three top courses were close to the ground) and lay them on edge along the ground inside the garden, so they would follow the slope of the ground. Then, he just nailed them in place. It was much easier than his initial plan, which was to dig trenches in the ground for the bottom course to fit into, so it would be flush and straight. It would have been long, hard work. This got the problem solved in a fraction of the time, and you can't really see from the outside that the wood is not straight:

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Building8

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Building9

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Building10

The top three courses are level. The bottom course marries them to the uneven ground. Smile

I went into much greater detail in a two-parter on my blog, in case you want to see more. It would be way too much typing to redo here. Well, maybe not, but I just don't have the time to. Rolling Eyes
Miss M

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 4/27/2011, 2:25 pm

Here it is now, though I guess I need to post a new thread with this, since I'm kinda hijacking this one (sorry, OP!!). But I wanted to show how it is working, with the fact that it spends a lot of time in water:

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Garden10

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Garden11

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Garden12

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 Garden13

The day I took these, the ground had mostly dried out. The boards are our walkways, which we need now, since it is in standing water again. Very Happy
Miss M

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/27/2011, 2:48 pm

Rofl...this year I am getting a garden shed...but next year lol bounce

showed Hubby these...he said ok....the area I am turning into a garden is a swampy area.

Those are sooo awesome!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/27/2011, 6:11 pm

Miss M - what gorgeous pics! I'm extremely jealous!

I stopped by my garden again today on my way home. The water level has gone down, which really surprised me. I can't get to my garden yet, but it's not as deep.

This is yesterday:

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110421

And today

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110422

Here is a monarch update: of the 46 eggs, I have had to remove 4. They looked moldy and I didn't want them infecting any healthy babies. Today I moved 4 baby cats to the "nursery":

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110424

I should have more in the next day or 2. I'm not expecting a lot of them to survive, but I hope for at least half.

Yea for caterpillar babies! Very Happy
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 4/27/2011, 10:33 pm

Thank you, Nancy! I'm sorry for sidetracking your thread. Embarassed

Your garden pics are just heartbreaking. You certainly have been taking it with grace.

That is so neat that you have the monarch caterpillars to cheer you up! They're so tiny!!! I love you I know they don't stay that way, but it's just amazing.
Miss M

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 4/27/2011, 11:02 pm

That sucks you are still underwater Nancy!

How can you tell that the eggs are monarchs when they are so tiny?

btw- I'll be at the garden sale- not sure if I'll go the 7th or the 8th, the 8th is my anniversary and mothers day, so not sure yet...
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/28/2011, 8:57 pm

Are you sick of flood pictures yet? I got down there tonite expecting to be able to walk to my beds. There was a couple parked (parking?) in the drive and their dog was swimming. He was hilarious! I think I caught the couple off-guard. Tee Hee. DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 615992

But I put my boots on anyway and after seeing how high the water was compared to how tall the dog was, I decided to give it a try. I made it all the way to my allotment without getting wet. Hurray rain boots!

Facing north-ish

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110425

Facing south

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110426

The spring bed

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110427

and the strawberries

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110428

Every single bed but one has floated off. I've found 5. I'm really grateful for raised beds, though. I love how they are sticking up above the water. I'm missing one of my gorgeous orange Home Depot buckets. The water on the west side of the garden was still too high to walk around much. Amazingly, the colorful tomato cages are all still there. Hopefully this weekend it will be dry enough to do some actual work down there. And I need a lot more soil this time.

At home: I now have 20 monarch 1st instars. Woo Hoo! Almost half. Not bad for so early in the year. I realized today that I am going to need nectar plants, so a trip to AJ Rahn's is in my near future. And I transplanted the other 3 tomatoes. The one I did last week looks amazing!! I think once the bed is ready, they will be, too.

I was trying not to feel too sorry for myself while I was down there tonite. What we are experiencing with a bit of extra water can't begin to compare to what those in the storms' path are going through now. All my thoughts / karma are with those in Alabama (except those I'm sending to acara's wife & baby). Do we have any forum menbers down there? I hope all in our big family are warm & dry tonite. Peace to you all!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/11/2011, 8:00 pm

Well, miracles really do happen. The spring bed today:

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110510

The peas and spinach didn't make it, but everything else is coming back.

Here is the kid's spring bed. The tulips might not come back next year, but the daisy is holding on.

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110511

I bought new strawberries over the weekend because I was sure most of them wouldn't survive. Tonite I saw new growth on a few. Wow!

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110512

We still can't get to the last bed. The water is still too deep over there and the mud really sucks at your boots. There has been a mallard pair there the past few days, but we didn't see them today. We did see hundreds of tadpoles, though. I hope to get the summer bed ready this weekend so the tomatoes can go in. They are ready! The beds still need some work. Erosion has make is so that the boxes sit on top of the beds like top hats, so I need to clean up a bit. I need that soil IN the beds. Smile

Here at home, all 18 caterpillars are doing well. I expect a few chrysalises in a day or 2. They are getting so big!

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110513

And in the front yard, all the trilliums have died before the contest, but the ladys slipper is blooming!!

DON'T LAUGH!! - Page 6 20110514

It just takes my breath away!!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next