Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to save ground cherry harvest??? Toplef10How to save ground cherry harvest??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to save ground cherry harvest??? I22gcj10How to save ground cherry harvest??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to save ground cherry harvest??? Toplef10How to save ground cherry harvest??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to save ground cherry harvest??? I22gcj10How to save ground cherry harvest??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How to save ground cherry harvest???

+5
FamilyGardening
Glendale-gardener
miinva
Furbalsmom
Patty from Yorktown
9 posters

Go down

How to save ground cherry harvest??? Empty How to save ground cherry harvest???

Post  Patty from Yorktown 6/27/2011, 6:27 pm

I have a few ground cherries from my plant, not more than 6. I know I can make a pie or jam, but not with 6 berries. Does anybody know how I can save the fruit until I have more of a harvest? Freeze them, blanch them, leave them on the kitchen counter??? Thanks for your help.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

How to save ground cherry harvest??? Empty Re: How to save ground cherry harvest???

Post  Furbalsmom 6/27/2011, 9:02 pm

Territorial Seed says that they will last up to 3 months if left in their husk. There were no further instructions so I assume on the counter. I am trying on the counter because I had 6 cherries fall off the plant.

See this GROUND CHERRY
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

How to save ground cherry harvest??? Empty Re: How to save ground cherry harvest???

Post  miinva 6/27/2011, 9:02 pm

My husband is a fruit lover so I've considered planting ground cherries. Are they easy to grow? I'm sorry I don't know anything about preserving them.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 6/27/2011, 9:25 pm

Oops, I took the husks off. I guess I will eat the first 4. My ground cherries are yellow and the papery husk come off easily. In answer to the question "how hard they to grow?" They are easy to grow. I started seeds (I think) inside, when I started my tomatoes. The seeds are tiny, as was the plant. They did not do much for awhile, then all of a sudden they have gotten pretty big. Flea beetles seem to like them, but other than some crewed on leaves the plants seem fine. They are pretty big. I planted one per squarefoot. The spacing seems alright, the plant is about 2 feet tall. I hope this helps.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 6/28/2011, 1:40 pm

I'll have to give them a try. I bought a couple of muscadine vines but still haven't managed to get them in the ground. I don't want to have to spray or use harsh chemicals, so I'm trying to find things that grow well in central Virginia and muscadine grapes are supposedly native to here. I've heard people around here say their grandparents grew ground cherries, so I guess I need to give it a try! Smile
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 6/28/2011, 9:12 pm

I've got 2 ground cherry plants and they are both producing really well. I started them from seed in March I think. So far, they've been the favorite thing we're growing because my boys check them each morning to see if any have fallen and they'll tap the plant to drop a few more. I made a vague attempt to save them long enough to make them into something but they usually get eaten right away! Next year, I'll probably go for 6 plants.
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/29/2011, 12:50 am

this is the first year for me to grow them....i bought two from our local school plant sale...they were soooo tiny and now they are growing great!....they are getting some tiny flowers on them....is this what your plants look like?

How to save ground cherry harvest??? 06_21_10

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 6/29/2011, 12:12 pm

The flowers even look similar to tomatillos, but not quite the same Smile
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 7/1/2011, 7:34 pm

Nice, I just ordered some seeds for next year(or maybe for a 2nd summer crop). Thanks for the info, great timing!
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/26/2011, 11:35 am

Even with this cool, damp weather we're having in Western Oregon, my Aunt Molly's ground cherries are starting to set fruit (several about the size of my thumb nail). Even more exciting is the appearance of berries on the garden huckleberry bushes. I've not heard of anyone here in PNW trying to grow them, so this is encouraging. The plants are getting very tall, over 4 feet. Garden huckleberries are distant cousins to ground cherries, if I understand correctly. Being mostly a Southern delight, I've planted them alongside the ground cherries in the hottest quadrant of the garden. Fingers crossed for a successful harvest.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/26/2011, 2:23 pm

Nonna we have two huckleberry bushes Very Happy this is our first year to grow them....they are my husbands favorite!......let us know when you are able to eat some of the fruit....since this is our first year i dont know when to harvest....not sure what kind of huckleberry they are......they seem to have tiny little berries on them....

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/26/2011, 4:37 pm

FamilyG, Many years and miles ago, we lived in a house in Texas where the previous owners had planted garden huckleberries, so I know not to pick them until the berries turn from shiny blue-black to dull black. Even at that, they are sour and not very tasty until cooked with sugar, then they're delicious. I know they make a great pie, but have not had an opportunity since Texas to cook with them past that. It's my understanding that you can use them just any way you would cooked blueberries...just add sweetening and heat: pie, jam, compotes, sauces. Here's what Mother Earth News has to say about them: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1983-03-01/Garden-Huckleberries.aspx

Another source I found online cooks them with some baking soda to effect a chemical change in the berries which improves the taste:

"Place 8 cups of berries in a non-aluminum one gallon size pan and add enough water to not quite cover the fruit. As they begin to boil add a total of 1/3 cup of baking soda (a little at a time) and stir continuously. As you add baking soda, green foam will appear. After adding the baking soda, cook for 10 minutes at a low boil. The mixture will continue to foam quite a bit as the berries are cooking. After they have cooked for 10 minutes, drain this solution off and rinse with clean water. The berries will still be somewhat hard. Next return the pan of berries to the stove, add 1/3 cup water and ½ cup of lemon juice. Watch with amazement as the mixture changes from emerald green to a royal purple color. Cook an additional 35 minutes until the berries are tender and then add 2 ¾ cups of sugar, 1 ½ tablespoons lemon extract, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ cup of tapioca. Pour the above mixture into two 8 inch unbaked pie shells, the add a top crust or lattice and bake as you would a blueberry pie."

It'll be fun to compare our experiences with the ripe berries. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/27/2011, 7:09 pm

we found one ground cherry that has fallen off the bush.....when we opened it there was a small green bead in there......does that happen sometimes?....they will fall off not ripe?.....this is our first time growing or tasting them Shocked ....i thought there would be a yellowish/orange color fruit a bit bigger in there Sad

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 7/27/2011, 7:39 pm

Ripe ground cherries will be small, but have yellow fruit. Don't know why a green one fell from the plant, they usually are ripe before dropping.

Don't let the kids snack on any that have not yet fallen, and don't let them snack on green ones. Unripe ground cherries can give you a tummy ache.

Harvested Ground cherriesHow to save ground cherry harvest??? 3_peel10

Peeled Ground CherriesHow to save ground cherry harvest??? Ripe_g10
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/27/2011, 7:44 pm

thank you Furb! Very Happy

if it happens again....i will take a pic and show you Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/26/2017, 10:57 am

Furbalsmom wrote:Ripe ground cherries will be small, but have yellow fruit. Don't know why a green one fell from the plant, they usually are ripe before dropping.

Don't let the kids snack on any that have not yet fallen, and don't let them snack on green ones. Unripe ground cherries can give you a tummy ache.

Harvested Ground cherriesHow to save ground cherry harvest??? 3_peel10

Peeled Ground CherriesHow to save ground cherry harvest??? Ripe_g10

Great post!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 2/26/2017, 11:09 am

Furbalsmom wrote:Territorial Seed says that they will last up to 3 months if left in their husk.  There were no further instructions so I assume on the counter.  I am trying on the counter because I had 6 cherries fall off the plant.

See this GROUND CHERRY
YIKES! They're yellowy/orange! Shocked I expected pinky/red. Embarassed I love an adventure and this is mine for this season. I can't wait to see what they do. bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 2/26/2017, 11:13 am

FamilyGardening wrote:this is the first year for me to grow them....i bought two from our local school plant sale...they were soooo tiny and now they are growing great!....they are getting some tiny flowers on them....is this what your plants look like?

How to save ground cherry harvest??? 06_21_10

hugs
rose
WOW! That puppy looks huge! How amazing that they start out so tiny and frail. Shocked
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down