Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ground Cherries Toplef10Ground Cherries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ground Cherries I22gcj10Ground Cherries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ground Cherries Toplef10Ground Cherries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ground Cherries I22gcj10Ground Cherries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Baked Eggplant
by markqz Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:45 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:02 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge Yesterday at 7:48 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 5:54 am

» problems with SFG forum site
by shoretech 6/30/2024, 2:25 pm

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 6/30/2024, 1:52 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 6/30/2024, 8:57 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 6:17 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by markqz 6/25/2024, 2:42 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by Scorpio Rising 6/23/2024, 5:43 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 6/17/2024, 10:28 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by MrBooker 6/12/2024, 5:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by has55 6/12/2024, 1:17 pm

» New SFGer from Perth Australia.
by sanderson 6/8/2024, 3:23 am

» National Gardening Week?
by Scorpio Rising 6/5/2024, 11:17 am

» Do raspberries have special needs?
by donnainzone5 6/4/2024, 5:12 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ground Cherries

+16
Banned Member
Cajun Cappy
RoOsTeR
elysia
sfg4uKim
trolleydriver
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
countrynaturals
llama momma
Ginger Blue
Scorpio Rising
BeetlesPerSqFt
Lavender Debs
camprn
CapeCoddess
20 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ground Cherries Empty Ground Cherries

Post  CapeCoddess 4/20/2014, 10:53 am

Does anyone grow ground cherries? I seem to remember there were two or three people who did so last year but I don't remember who they were. Is this what they look like when they sprout? These took so long to sprout I don't know if they are weeds or the cherries...Ground Cherries Img_2056
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Ground Cherries Empty Re: Ground Cherries

Post  camprn 4/20/2014, 11:03 am

You have a few different plants growing in the cells. Wait until the true leaves start emerging and make a determination then.images

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Ground Cherries WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/20/2014, 11:29 am

Thanks, camp. Those images were very helpful! It looks like I have quite a few. I found a great article that says they take a long time to germinate so that made me feel better.

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/fruits/a/How-To-Grow-Organic-Ground-Cherries-In-Your-Garden.htm

Looks like they are easy peasy to grow and would need four square feet. I'll put them in my old school SFG.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/25/2015, 1:11 pm

Geez, it took 16 days on the heating pad for the ground cherry seeds to finally sprout.  
Ground Cherries 950477
How excessive.  

Honestly, I was beginning to think the seeds were bad. Next year they will have to be planted in a different order because it pushed the planting of other seeds that need the heating pad back a bit.

Well...at least they are worth it.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/25/2015, 1:55 pm

Next year.... ditch the heating pad, let the peppers have it! Try winter sowing your ground cherries.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/25/2015, 3:29 pm

That's a good idea, Debs. I'll try to remember the end of this year to do that. I guess they'll be ok in their mini greenhouse even if they're completely covered with snow, right?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Ground Cherries Empty Ground cherry success

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/13/2016, 10:51 am

My ground cherries last year took FOREVER to sprout, and I had low germination.
After researching, I think my problem was some 65oF or below evenings.  The house is kept at frugal temperatures, and I bet the seeds got a ‘cold’ night or two.  For ground cherries, that means inhibited germination, even if the days are suitably warm.  You had a heating mat, so I don’t think your problem was the same as mine. Are you growing them again this year, using winter sowing?

Here’s what worked for me this year:  I presoaked the seeds for 4 hours, pressed them onto the surface of prewarmed potting mix, and put the pots in a clear bag on my heating system (light string on a shelf, no thermostat; the meat thermometer said 85oF.)  The first germination: 5 days! I took them out of the bag at 7 days when most of them had sprouted. Seedlings two weeks from sowing:

Ground Cherries Grchry10

Last year I planted my ground cherries checkerboard style, 8 plants in a 4’x4’ space – they did leak over into the other half of the 4x8 bed they were in.  They also hung over/flopped into the 2ft aisles (where they were prone to getting trod on), but didn’t quite make it over to the next bed over.  I got enough fruit for 2 small batches of jam, 3 jars of dehydrated ground cherries (delicious!) and plenty to eat fresh and cook with -- and enough to deal with losses to the Rhagoletis striatella maggots (see the photo of an infested fruit, and an adult fly.)  It’s April and I have some from the fall that are still ok to eat.  Not as good as when they were fresh, and some have dried up (in a bad way), but it’s been months!  They’ve been stored in an open container, husks on, at about 60-65oF. (The maggots don't go from fruit to fruit, but you may end up with 'melted' fruit and pupae in the bottom of the container if you miss removing infected fruits.)
 Ground Cherries Maggot10Ground Cherries Img_2610
I’ll be growing them again this year.  In the ‘blank’ squares of the checkboard, i.e. between the ground cherry squares, I’ll be trying to grow early carrots and spinach, and then nothing after I harvest those because the squares will be too shaded.  I’ll be growing greens on two sides of the section (the other two sides are aisles), followed by purslane (the low growing ‘weed’) as the ground cherries grow outwards.  The onions should be out by the time the ground cherries grow yet another foot over, and then I’ll try some late lettuce which will either tolerate or appreciate the shade. 
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/13/2016, 12:07 pm

I didn't planted any ground cherries this year.  But if I can get them to sprout in 5 days then I'm in!  It must have been the pre-soak since my MM is at room temp already and the seeded cells go inside a closed clampack on the heating pad.

I'll try it now and let you know. Thanks a bunch for the tip!!!

Oh, I let a lot of the fruit fall & left it there out in the old school SFG where they were planted last year so they may reseed.  It's an experiment.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/13/2016, 10:44 pm

My ground cherry seeds germinated in less than a week on the heating pad along with the tomatoes (thanks, CC for the seeds!). 3/4 made it!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8786

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/13/2016, 11:09 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I didn't planted any ground cherries this year.  But if I can get them to sprout in 5 days then I'm in!  It must have been the pre-soak since my MM is at room temp already and the seeded cells go inside a closed clampack on the heating pad.

I'll try it now and let you know. Thanks a bunch for the tip!!!

Oh, I let a lot of the fruit fall & left it there out in the old school SFG where they were planted last year so they may reseed.  It's an experiment.

CC
Pre-soak might be it; I didn't do that last year. I don't know if your heating pad is under the lights... my seeds had light on them. I'm certain they don't NEED light to germinate, but I wonder if that it speeds them up, too?

I did the exact opposite -- I religiously gathered all the fallen fruit last year so that I wouldn't have misplaced ground cherry seedlings in the raised bed this year, since I knew I was going to want them somewhere different this year.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/19/2016, 4:24 pm

So glad Ginger Blue posted a ground cherry thread as it reminded me that I needed to update this one:

Presoaked seeds sprouted in a few days in the warmed MM I think it was 4 but not sure. Way faster than other times! I'll be doing that again.

I didn't get any volunteers from last years dropped and abandoned fruit but that could be because the beds were heavily composted and seaweeded.

That's all I got...now we feast.
Ground Cherries 4022887542
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/26/2016, 1:47 pm

Ground Cherries are aka Golden Berries, Cape Gooseberries and other names:

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/26/2016, 6:00 pm

One of my favorite new SFG finds!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 12/26/2016, 8:27 pm

Great video, CC, thanks for posting it!

I recently purchased fresh Golden Berries (Physalis peruviana, a.k.a Cape Gooseberries) at a local supermarket. They were very tart and citrusy, not as sweet as the Aunt Molly ground cherries (Physalis pruinosa), I grew earlier in the year.

Because they were grown for commercial purposes, it may be that the Golden Berries were harvested early and not allowed to fully ripen on the bushes.  Curious to see how homegrown ones compare to those from the market, I saved seeds from several of the best looking berries to grow next year.  If they do well, I'll save even more of the seeds and make them available for swap.

Along those lines, I'm collecting as many varieties of ground cherries as I can find, to mix 'n' match in recipes.  I have plenty of "Aunt Molly's," but still need several of  the Physalis pubescens varieties ("Cossack Pineapple," "Goldie," "Yantar," and "Golden Strawberry," in particular).  If anyone has seeds they'd like to share or trade, please send a PM. bounce What a Face
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/27/2016, 8:50 pm

Mine are aunt Molly's.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/29/2017, 7:06 pm

I planted my ground cherry seeds today inside. I'll put them on the heating pad tonight. I can't wait to see how they do. bounce They will be the first new residents of my "Rescue Garden" along with my greenhouse tomato plants. C'mon Spring! sunny
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2017, 7:47 am

I've grown Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries for the past few years.  Here's my experience. They are delicate to start from seed indoors so I simply over seed into a cup or dish. Haven't used a seedling mat.  Mist the seeds rather than water from a cup.  The seeds are tiny so the roots are extremely delicate. Misting will minimize root damage.  Up pot when needed and eventually put outside.  Once these plants are in the ground they are amazingly vigorous, not only taking over its own square but flow into each square next to it.  I put transplants in a corner square and train it to lean out of the box a bit. You can scissor off all the side shoots that still misbehave, this plant can handle whatever you do to it.  Then you will have ground cherries every year unless you are meticulous about cleaning up all the fruit.  I have ground cherries return each year inside the box and outside of the box.  Blows me away how these teeny tiny seeds winter over in cold central Ohio soil.  There are recipes online for ground cherry pie, haven't tried it though.  I enjoy eating these fresh and storing extra in the freezer to put in smoothies all winter long.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/30/2017, 8:32 am

This year will be my third growing ground cherries. Love em! Planting lots of them. I do want to try that pie. The muffins I tried didn't work out, too soggy. I dehydrate mine; crispy is ok, but dry raisin level keeps more flavor. (Plump raisin level of dryness isn't dry enough to keep properly.)

The mist is an interesting point! I got a spray bottle to water with my second year but had used something else (indoor narrow spout watering can?) my first year. I still think the seed soaking helps, and I will use bottom heat again because my particular grow room is otherwise too cold (<65*F(18*C)), but misting is another difference that could have contributed to my much better results the second year.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2017, 9:32 am

Ground Cherries 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/30/2017, 12:05 pm

thanks llama momma for the great info. I came here after I had already planted my seeds, so I couldn't soak them, but I now have them on the heating pad and I will mist instead of pouring water on them. I have the perfect place for them when they're ready to leave the nursery, where they can wander and reproduce 'til their hearts' content. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/30/2017, 12:54 pm

You're welcome countrynaturals !
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/1/2017, 6:03 pm

I'm thinking I'd like to try the Aunt Molly's and Pineapple.... Just gotta order the seeds. After looking through some of the information on here, I think I'll put them in the deck planters....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5603

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 2/1/2017, 7:04 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:I'm thinking I'd like to try the Aunt Molly's and Pineapple....  Just gotta order the seeds.  After looking through some of the information on here, I think I'll put them in the deck planters....
Kewl! Mine are Aunt Molly's. Ground Cherries 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/1/2017, 7:10 pm

Pinetree has 'em!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 2/4/2017, 11:05 am

countrynaturals wrote:thanks llama momma for the great info. I came here after I had already planted my seeds, so I couldn't soak them, but I now have them on the heating pad and I will mist instead of pouring water on them. I have the perfect place for them when they're ready to leave the nursery, where they can wander and reproduce 'til their hearts' content. geek
YEE-HAH! They're up already! I see what you mean about how fragile they are to start out with. This is a single Jiffy Pellet -- I guess about 1.5" across, so you can see how dainty they are.
Ground Cherries Ground10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next