Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Canning? - Page 3 Toplef10Canning? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Canning? - Page 3 I22gcj10Canning? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Canning? - Page 3 Toplef10Canning? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Canning? - Page 3 I22gcj10Canning? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canning?

+25
glasgrl
ske
Megan
AtlantaAnn
chexmix
Cropper2
Wyldflower
scotch827
carolintexas
MeyerLemon
PB
nidiyao
Kabaju42
LaFee
herblover
Jeff Buffington
argardener
ander217
dixie
pattipan
SirTravers
chocolatepop
camprn
boffer
jjphoto
29 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Canning? - Page 3 Empty here is that recipe:

Post  MeyerLemon 5/14/2010, 1:01 am

ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE (from Cook's Illustrated)

3 to 3 1/2 Cups—For 1 Pound of Pasta. Published March 1, 2007.

This sauce is best with short pasta shapes, such as ziti or penne. It can also be served over chicken Parmesan or grilled fish. If serving this sauce with pasta, save some of the pasta cooking water to adjust the sauce's consistency. Plum tomatoes can be used, but the sauce may require even more pasta cooking water. Because fresh tomatoes vary in sweetness, it's best to add sugar to taste before serving. The sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days; bring to a simmer before using. [my edit: or can according to Ball canning instructions!!]

2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (9 to 12 medium), cored and halved pole to pole
6 medium cloves garlic , peeled
1 small onion , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Granulated sugar to taste (up to 2 teaspoons; see note above)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Combine tomato paste, 1 tablespoon oil, thyme, pepper flakes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Toss tomatoes, garlic, and onion with tomato paste mixture until evenly coated. Place 4-inch square of foil in center of wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Place garlic cloves and onion rounds on foil and arrange tomatoes, cut side down, around garlic and onion.

2. Roast until vegetables are soft and tomato skins are well charred, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Transfer garlic and onion to food processor; pulse until finely chopped, about five 1-second pulses. Add tomatoes, vinegar, and remaining tablespoon oil to food processor. Pulse until broken down but still chunky, about five 1-second pulses. Using rubber spatula, scrape down bowl; season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. Continue to process sauce until slightly chunky, about five 1-second pulses. Stir in basil.
MeyerLemon

Back to top Go down

Canning? - Page 3 Empty Canning

Post  carolintexas 5/14/2010, 3:25 am

I have never canned but enjoyed many a jar of canned veggies my mom put up. Since she has passed away and never taught me I have been asking around... in hopes that I have plenty of vegetables from my garden....and I have been told by current canners that 1. the new pressure canners are much safer than the old ones so don't buy one from a garage sale or someones attic. Look for them at Walmart or any farm supply or hardware type place. 2. Never, ever use mayo jars...buy real canning jars. You will just need to buy new lids for them every year. Walmart & other stores only carry the jars and canners as a seasonal item so buy them when you see them...especially the jars (I've been told). 3. follow the directions very carefully and you won't poison anyone! 4. It is not as hard as we think it will be...just pay attention to what you are doing. Check your library for all kinds of books on
canning. Call your reference librarian and ask them to pull some of the newer books for
you. Then all you have to do is go in and look through the stack of
books they have pulled for you and check out what you want. (I work at
a library....this is a normal service libraries offer at no charge...but a "thank you" is always appreciated. Give them a couple of days to get them collected for you..they may want to have some sent over from another library branch for you) I have also been told that the county extention women will teach a free class if enough are interested...contact your county extention agents
carolintexas

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 5/14/2010, 6:58 am

That's all good advice, Carolintexas.

I would add, however, that if you use your library's resources, make certain they are very current publications. A lot of guidelines have changed in recent years and some libraries may not have culled their out-of-date books and pamphlets.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Canning? - Page 3 Empty Re: Canning?

Post  LaFee 5/14/2010, 8:17 am

Jeff, the only reason I chop onions and peppers before freezing is so that all I have to do is just spoon them out into whatever I'm making. As you said, you don't really want to use them in salads, as the texture goes off a bit, but then you have zero waste -- if you have whole veg, they can't be refrozen. (Chopped veg also tend to take up a little less room, too.)
LaFee

Female Posts : 1022

Back to top Go down

Post  scotch827 5/18/2010, 2:23 pm

I thought I would post this link again. It is to the National Center for Home Food Preservation. They are considered the bible for canning safety guidelines. They have free canning safe recipes and detailed instructions with videos. They also offer a free online course. Canning is not hard you just need to follow the guidelines. The most important thing is to remember to use only approved canning recipes. Cooking recipes and canning recipes are two complete different things.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

Scott
scotch827

Back to top Go down

Post  MeyerLemon 5/18/2010, 3:34 pm

Scotch - with any other fruit/veggie I would agree with you, but tomatoes have such a high acid content pretty much any tomato recipe will do. Cook and then follow any reliable published canning method.

Maybe I am more experimental because I have been canning for so long, but I've always understood that with the high acid stuff like tomato and lemon, blackberry and pomegranate, you can mess with the ingredients as long as you process for the proper amount of time in the boiling water bath.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm not dead yet Very Happy

But yes, those new to canning should stick with the written guidelines.
MeyerLemon

Back to top Go down

Post  PB 5/18/2010, 5:25 pm

Even with the acid in tomatos. New guidelines suggest the addition of lemon juice if you are water bath canning.

Wal-mart and other such stores carry the Ball Blue book. Even with the years I have been canning I now do add the lemon juice. Just to be safe.
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  MeyerLemon 5/18/2010, 5:37 pm

Could vinegar take the place of lemon juice?
MeyerLemon

Back to top Go down

Post  scotch827 5/18/2010, 5:48 pm

Yes , you could use vinegar if you like the taste better. If you use lemon juice it is recommended to use bottled juice as the the acidity is cosistent.

Scott
scotch827

Back to top Go down

Post  PB 5/18/2010, 8:28 pm

You can't taste the lemon juice. I was concerned the first time useing it, but I couldn't taste it at all.
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 5/20/2010, 10:11 am

Commercial vinegar is diluted to 5% acidity, so if memory serves me correctly, you have to add about double the amount of vinegar as lemon juice, and to me that does affect the taste, even though that is the method I usually use. Depending on the use, I sometimes add a pinch of sugar after opening to counteract the taste.

The reason tomatoes are no longer considered safe without additional acid is because the acidity varies widely among the many varieties, as well as with the degree of ripeness. I think I also read that the soil they are grown in can affect the acid content.

If you add even small amounts of low-acid foods such as onions and peppers, you have further reduced the acid content of the finished product, and those mixtures should only be canned using a pre-tested recipe, following precise instructions.

Bottom line to be repeated again and again: Follow instructions in an up-to-date canning guide such as the Ball Blue Book.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  carolintexas 5/21/2010, 12:37 am

maybe i will just plan on freezing everything. I just remember my mom's canned green beans as tasting so good. You experienced gardeners that have frozen green beans...do you have to do anything like add vinegar or whatnot and do they taste anything like fresh green beans after you freeze them? I've never even purchased frozen green beans from the store. and how do you guys like to cook frozen green beans?
carolintexas

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 5/21/2010, 12:52 am

Carol, to freeze beans, I've always blanched them (dunked them in boiling water) for a minute or two, poured them out on a towel and let them dry a little (so they don't stick together), and spread them out on a cookie sheet to freeze. When they're frozen, I pour them in a big ziplock.

You cook them just like fresh - steamed for a few minutes, stewed with bacon and onions (yes, the nutrients cook out a little, but they're tasty, and that's how we've made them in my family for generations).

The texture is a little softer than fresh, but they're good even just steamed with a little butter or oil drizzled over them (if you can get walnut oil, hooboy is THAT good) Canning? - Page 3 211713
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  carolintexas 5/21/2010, 1:00 am

Thank you! I appreciate the wealth of information this site is and I feel like we all are becoming friends...that we receive help with suggestions and info and encouragement is awesome. Thank you for all info, recipes and suggestions
carolintexas

Back to top Go down

Canning? - Page 3 Empty Picked up the Blue Book

Post  Wyldflower 5/21/2010, 6:12 pm

I'm nowhere near ready to start canning (it'll be my first time this summer), but I thought I'd pick up the Ball Blue Book to start learning. (I'll pick up the equipment over the next few weeks). First, I looked for it on EBay... lowest price was $9.95. So I thought OK... well I'll look around a bit first. Then I went grocery shopping, and there it was, in the 'seasonal' aisle... for $6.99... AND a dollar off! WooHoo!

Next will be to haunt the thrift shops for the water-bath canner and tools. I'll think about the pressure canner when I can afford to buy that new. WOOHOO!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 526

Back to top Go down

Canning? - Page 3 Empty canning green beans

Post  ander217 5/24/2010, 9:22 am

Carolintexas, you can still can green beans if you like. You just have to use a pressure cooker to be safe. Or you can pickle them. Dilled green beans are one of our younger daughter's favorite Christmas gifts, and pickled green beans can be water-bathed.

When I freeze green beans, I prefer to leave them whole, but you can also freeze them snapped or cut up. I do them as LaFee does, except that I blanch them for three minutes, and then I plunge them into a sink of ice water to stop the cooking. I think that's supposed to retain more nutrients. After three or four minutes in the cold water I spread them on towels to briefly air dry before placing them on cookie sheets in the freezer.

I blanch them in batches, and start cooking time as soon as they are placed in the boiling water. (If you try to blanch too many at once, the water will stop boiling and then you have to guess at the time needed.)

When I place the frozen beans into ziploc bags for storage, I place a straw in the corner of the bag, and close the bag to the straw, then suck out as much air as possible, and quickly remove the straw while closing the remaining gap. The more air you remove, the longer the beans will keep in the freezer. (They do not go "bad" as to make you sick, but they can get freezer burn or start to lose their flavor and nutrients after several months.) Date and label the bags and keep frozen until ready to use.

I stir-fry or steam whole green beans, and I use cut beans in vegetable soups.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 5/24/2010, 3:03 pm

Wyldflower,

You don't need to look for a canning pot for water-bath canning. Any heavy large pot will work, as long as you can put a sufficient amount of water in it to cover your jars by an inch or so and you can put the jars on a rack to keep them off the bottom of the pot. I often use my large steamer pot with a large cake-type rack in the bottom. No problem. On the other hand, as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, new pressure canners are far safer than old ones, so I'd be careful about picking one up at a yard sale, just for safety reasons.

Enjoy!
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 5/24/2010, 3:05 pm

About blanching tomatoes and peppers....

When making tomato sauces for canning, I rarely blanch and remove the skins from tomatoes and peppers. I cook the sauce, the put everything through a food mill. Voila! No seeds or skins and I didn't have to do all of that prep work.
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/24/2010, 4:01 pm

Cropper2 wrote:About blanching tomatoes and peppers....

When making tomato sauces for canning, I rarely blanch and remove the skins from tomatoes and peppers. I cook the sauce, the put everything through a food mill. Voila! No seeds or skins and I didn't have to do all of that prep work.
+1
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/24/2010, 4:29 pm

Cropper2 wrote:Wyldflower,

You don't need to look for a canning pot for water-bath canning. Any heavy large pot will work, as long as you can put a sufficient amount of water in it to cover your jars by an inch or so and you can put the jars on a rack to keep them off the bottom of the pot. I often use my large steamer pot with a large cake-type rack in the bottom. No problem. On the other hand, as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, new pressure canners are far safer than old ones, so I'd be careful about picking one up at a yard sale, just for safety reasons.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice Cropper! I was thinking along those lines, but the biggest pot that I already had is a dutch oven and probably not even big enough for pint jars. I was lucky over the weekend and found a granite-ware canning pot with the rack, and it only cost me $4.50. I'm definitely going to get a NEW pressure canner when the time comes. When it comes to 'technology' I want to be sure that what I have will work right.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 526

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 5/24/2010, 4:31 pm

That's true...however, for those of us taught to slice a shallow x in the blossom end, them pop them into boiling water for a minute or two...then into a sink filled with ice and water....it seems odd to put them into a food mill.

Just seems like I'm skipping a step...and it just doesn't seem right to me.

(That's not at all to be taken to not use a food mill if it works for you...just that I have to follow the rhythms and processes my gran taught me....aren't we creatures of habit?!)
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/24/2010, 5:40 pm

LaFee wrote:That's true...however, for those of us taught to slice a shallow x in the blossom end, them pop them into boiling water for a minute or two...then into a sink filled with ice and water....it seems odd to put them into a food mill.

Just seems like I'm skipping a step...and it just doesn't seem right to me.

(That's not at all to be taken to not use a food mill if it works for you...just that I have to follow the rhythms and processes my gran taught me....aren't we creatures of habit?!)
I like this method to can tomatoes whole in the jar.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  carolintexas 5/25/2010, 4:16 am

THANKS EVERYONE! I printing off all of the canning, freezing suggestions to save for later in the summer. I truly appreciate everyone's ideas because like I have said I hope I have plenty of veggies "to put up" for winter but have no experience.
carolintexas

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 5/25/2010, 1:00 pm

make sure you ask around, Carol...canning is easy work if you've got two or three people...and the operation is then efficient enough to can enough for everybody!

You might get lucky and find someone who already cans and can guide you...or someone who's gramma taught them to put up vegetables, but still finds it too much work for just one person...or someone else who wants to learn along with you!

(My earliest memories as a kid are of my grandma's postage-stamp kitchen, with jars and lids laid out on the table, and her sisters and nieces all bustling around the kitchen, putting all kinds of vegetables by for the winter.)
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  chexmix 5/31/2010, 4:03 am

For all those beginners out there: IT IS EASIER THAN YOU THINK. This is my first year doing SFG and canning. Over the weekend I canned my first jars.

All were done in half pint jars

7 Sweet Relish

8 Dill Relish

3 Pickled Jalopeno Peppers

I followed the instructions in the Ball Blue Book. The only thing I did different from the book was soak my cucumber mix over night. The rest of the process only took me about an hour and a half to go from start to finish on all my jars.

I have a large water bath canner with a rack made for quart jars. Since I used smaller jars I put a towel in the bottom of the canner to keep the jars from touching the bottom. It worked out great.

So give it a try. I did and it worked just like SFG works.
chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next