Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... Toplef10If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... I22gcj10If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... Toplef10If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... I22gcj10If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes...

+4
AZDYJ2K
dizzygardener
walshevak
SewingMom
8 posters

Go down

If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... Empty If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes...

Post  SewingMom 5/9/2011, 7:46 am

If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes would you do anything different under them? I am leasing a piece of land away from my house where I keep my chickens and my gardens and I'm not sure how long I'll have this piece of property. It's on a year to year lease right now. I'm just about to put the mix in my boxes and was going to either lay newspapers or cardboard boxes underneath them. I have put a lot of effort and some money into getting the stuff for my mix and if I had to give up my piece of land I'd definitely want to move my Mel's Mix. Should I put something different underneath? I was thinking some of the plastic weed block but I'm not sure that would be any easier to shovel than simply using a thick cardboard box.

Edited to add: I have thought about plywood on the bottom of the boxes but then I'd have to spend another $15 per box (so $60 total ) plus drive all the way into town again (we live quite a ways from Menards) and I'd still have to shovel the mix out if I ever moved the boxes.
SewingMom

Female Posts : 19

Back to top Go down

If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... Empty Re: If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes...

Post  walshevak 5/9/2011, 8:42 am

If I couldn't go the plywood route, I would use cardboard covered with weed cloth and maybe staple the weed cloth to the insides of the box. I lined my tabletops with hardware cloth and plastic and later had to dig out all the MM to stablize the setup. The hardware cloth wiring provided enough support to the plastic that scooping out the MM was only a chore not a Hurculean task.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... Empty Re: If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes...

Post  dizzygardener 5/9/2011, 1:16 pm

I am in the same boat. I'm leasing the home I live in now. I just have weedcloth on the bottom of my boxes. It should be pretty easy to get almost all if not all of my mix into drums so I can move it.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 5/9/2011, 3:57 pm

dizzygardener wrote:I am in the same boat. I'm leasing the home I live in now. I just have weedcloth on the bottom of my boxes. It should be pretty easy to get almost all if not all of my mix into drums so I can move it.

I recently moved and all I had on the bottom was weedcloth. It was very easy for me to remove the MM from the box since the weedcloth acted as a separator. there was a little bit left behind but probably not more than a 5 gallon bucket between the 4X4 and 3X3 I moved.

The difficult part was transporting the MM. I wish I had planned better and purchased some drums so I could have had the movers take it.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/10/2011, 2:10 am

I've bought weed cloth in case I want to move the bed. Hope you don't get turned off your plot.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

If there was a possibility you'd have to move your boxes... Empty Drums?

Post  SFG in Chicago 5/11/2011, 9:05 am

What sort of drums are you guys talking about for moving MM? We are moving this summer. I only have 1 4x8 box, but I for sure want to take my MM with me!
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  a0628h0427 5/11/2011, 12:45 pm

I used one layer of weed cloth and it wasn't enough. I have grass peeking up through my veggies in a few places. It looks like the wood has already begun to deteriorate at the bottom of the box, and it's only a little over a year old. When I replace the wood, I'm probably going to use bricks or cinderblocks so I don't have to keep building a new box. I will probably also use a double layer of weed cloth next time, too.
a0628h0427
a0628h0427

Male Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  cabinfever 5/11/2011, 4:41 pm

Spend the extra money and do the plywood bottoms. You won't regret it. Mine have plywood bottoms and legs and can be lifted and moved dirt, plants and all, if need be. In the broad scheme of things, what's another 15 bucks per box?
cabinfever
cabinfever

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down