Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Toplef10Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility I22gcj10Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Toplef10Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility I22gcj10Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility

+3
nancy
pattipan
capsounddad
7 posters

Go down

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Empty Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility

Post  capsounddad 4/19/2010, 9:02 am

Had to take an emergency trip to Dayton, Ohio this past weekend to drive the equipment truck for my son's drum line while they competed in the national championships. I'm wondering about a flowering tree I saw a lot of in the Dayton area. It looked to be about the size of a flowering crabapple but it had very delicate looking but vibrant purple flowers. Can anyone give me an idea what this flowering tree was?

I also checked at the Lowe's in Troy, Ohio for Mel's Mix. The manager of the garden department knew what I was talking about. After a brief conversation, she was convinced that she should order a pallett of the product to have in her gardening department. If there's anyone in the area, northern edge of Dayton along I-75, follow-up requests for Mel's Mix could also lead to a class/presentation.
capsounddad

Male Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Empty Re: Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility

Post  pattipan 4/19/2010, 9:37 am

capsounddad wrote:Had to take an emergency trip to Dayton, Ohio this past weekend to drive the equipment truck for my son's drum line while they competed in the national championships. I'm wondering about a flowering tree I saw a lot of in the Dayton area. It looked to be about the size of a flowering crabapple but it had very delicate looking but vibrant purple flowers. Can anyone give me an idea what this flowering tree was?

The trees were probably Redbuds. Do a Google image search and see if that's your tree.

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Redbud6.362110359_std

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Empty Re: Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility

Post  nancy 4/19/2010, 10:57 am

Yep, I was also going to say that our red buds are gorgeous right now. What a pretty spring!!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  capsounddad 4/19/2010, 11:11 am

Nancy and Patty,

Looked up Redbud images and they sure are beautiful. The trees I saw seemed a bit more vibrant purple but it is probably just variation between the live trees and the photos. They almost look like purple lace.

Hey Nancy, are you close enough to Troy to make the trip to Loew's for Mel's Mix worthwhile. Maybe you could just call them asking to increase the demand. In fact what do you think about starting a thread about continuing to pressure as many Loew's location's as possible to carry it?

Rick Melcher
capsounddad

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/19/2010, 11:38 am

I could go up to Troy, but it's a bit further than I care to go. It's probably an hour and a half from my house - only about an hour from work. If Troy can get it, perhaps Cincinnati can too! I'll have to give my Lowes a try. Maybe I can get there tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/19/2010, 12:07 pm

Maybe it's a Chinaberry tree? Here's an online image that I found that shows the flowers.

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Chinab10
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Empty Identification Requested/Mel's Mix Possibility

Post  MasonGarden 4/19/2010, 12:14 pm

Rick/Nancy,

I live in Mason (half-way between the two of you) and I'd definitely be interested in Mel's Mix, and would be willing to go to Troy to get it. I've been "planning" on staring a SFG for weeks now, but my hang-up is the vermiculite. If I could get the mix, problem solved!!!

Renee
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  capsounddad 4/19/2010, 12:49 pm

Renee,

I strongly urge you to contact the garden center at the Troy Loew's. If they hear from more people they will bw more likely to actually stock it. Then maybe Claire can contact them about a presentation. Sorry Claire, didn't mean to speak for you! Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Icon_wink

Rick Melcher
capsounddad

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/19/2010, 12:53 pm

Renee - Burger Farm on 32 in Newtown has vermiculite. Medium grade, not coarse. I think I have all I need for my 4 current beds. Bed #4 needs a bit more compost and then is good to go. I plan on 1 more 4x4 for pumpkins and would much prefer to get it premixed. I'm only 5' tall so mixing it myself has been challenging in so many ways! Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Icon_lol
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 4/19/2010, 2:31 pm

Could the tree you saw have been a Paulownia tree? I found this photo online.

Our family in the Chattanooga area call these, "Polly-wanna" trees and one species there is considered invasive.

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Paulownia_flowering_3
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Empty Indentification/Mel's Mix Possibility

Post  MasonGarden 4/19/2010, 6:41 pm

Nancy - Thanks for the information and pictures regarding your amazing pathways! I may give it a try once I have my garden laid out.

Nancy/Rick - I am in the planning stages for my first SFG here in the Cincinnati-area. Have either of you been able to successfully grow blueberries here? If so, what variety?

Thanks,
Renee
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 4/19/2010, 7:31 pm

I can't believe how many people are on here from cincinnati/dayton area! That's awesome!
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/19/2010, 7:36 pm

Hi Lisa!

I am new to SFG, and in fact am still in the planning stages of putting in my first garden. Are you an established SFG'er? If so, do you have photos and/or advice for plants that do well in our area?

Maybe we should create a new topic: "Southeast Ohio SFG". We might attract a few others from around here, and be able to share tips and info specific to our area!

Renee
Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Icon_flower
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/19/2010, 8:11 pm

Hi Renee - I haven't tried blueberries - yet. I want to put in a strawberry bed, but that might wait until next year. I need a pumpkin bed first! Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility Icon_lol

I love the idea of a southwest ohio board! Identification Requested / Mel's Mix Possibility 27650 Someone else commented on one of my posts who lives in Madisonville, which is the next community north of me! She could be a block away!!

I was at AJ Rahn's on Saturday and they had a big sign saying the Hamilton County Final Frost date is May 15, so I was thinking of backing off of a few things I want to put in. But then on a walk with my kid tonite we saw a few people who have already planted basil and a bunch of other herbs, so I might put some in this weekend afterall. Hopefully it will not get below 40 tonite. I don't think we got frost last night, but it's been chilly the past new nights!
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  capsounddad 4/19/2010, 9:15 pm

Hey Everyone,

In case you missed the first part of the post, I was in the Dayton area as an emergency driver for my son's drumline. I'm actually from the Milwaukee, WI area. The differences a couple of hundred miles north or south can make can be amazing. There were lot's of trees in bloom in southwestern Ohio and ours in southeastern Wisconsin are just starting to bud.

I like the ideas about more people banding together, both on line and hopefully in person if at all possible. Keep SFG in everyone's mind!

Rick
capsounddad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down