Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's your trick? Toplef10What's your trick? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's your trick? I22gcj10What's your trick? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's your trick? Toplef10What's your trick? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's your trick? I22gcj10What's your trick? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's your trick?

+17
walshevak
acara
tabletopper
jazzymaddy
fiddleman
buttaflie143
boog1
dmsandlin
shannon1
Squat_Johnson
Miss M
sfg4uKim
dizzygardener
boffer
BackyardBirdGardner
Blackrose
marsinger4
21 posters

Go down

What's your trick? Empty What's your trick?

Post  marsinger4 4/21/2011, 8:43 am

So, I mentioned in a previous post that I'm new to edible gardening. Aside from a few herbs, my gardening has been limited to aesthetics (I can just imagine the looks on the faces of the HOA peeps if I tried growing corn at my house!!!). And I know there must be a trick to this vegetable gardening stuff--I just know it! It can't really be just hit or miss, or just a matter of praying to the garden gods. So what's your trick? I'm sure some of you have one, who have been doing this successfully over the past years. This anxious newbie would love to be in on the secret! Very Happy
marsinger4

Back to top Go down

What's your trick? Empty Re: What's your trick?

Post  Blackrose 4/21/2011, 8:48 am

At the risk of sounding cheeky, my trick is following the Mel's Square Foot Gardening method to a T. Do what Mel says in his All New Square Foot Gardening book and you will have a bountiful harvest. I think a lot of other members on the forum would agree with me. Very Happy
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/21/2011, 9:08 am

Blackrose wrote:At the risk of sounding cheeky, my trick is following the Mel's Square Foot Gardening method to a T. Do what Mel says in his All New Square Foot Gardening book and you will have a bountiful harvest. I think a lot of other members on the forum would agree with me. Very Happy

Yup. That's "the secret." Now, go tell anyone interested in also knowing it. Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/21/2011, 10:25 am

marsinger4 wrote:...And I know there must be a trick to this vegetable gardening stuff--I just know it! It can't really be just hit or miss, or just a matter of praying to the garden gods....

That's the secret right there: Mel took the hit and miss out of backyard gardening. SFG starts with 5 quality composts. Year after year, that's all it takes. Cleverly simple.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/21/2011, 10:41 am

I agree with everyone above.

My trick is to follow Mel's advice in the All New SFG book. Gardening has never been easier. Trust me.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/21/2011, 1:53 pm

Trial & error. Then learning from my mistakes.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

What's your trick? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 4/21/2011, 5:39 pm

Yep, I've done row gardening before (it's funny, just like Mel said in his book, we amended and amended and amended for seven years, and finally our garden had really good soil -- and then we had to move!), and we didn't have great results. Well, except for tomatoes.

This is our first year for SFG, we've followed the method to the letter with only two exceptions -- I thought I was buying coarse vermiculite, and ended up with fine... and the bed has an additional 9" of width for some "short squares" I use mostly for 16/square foot things. It was part accident, part intentional.

At any rate, I've never seen a garden like this! Shocked I'm being overrun by veggies!!! I haven't harvested a lot yet, but I look in my squash plants and see 30-40 buds coming, my bush beans are taking over, I've given up pruning my tomato plants, because I can't even tell where one stops and the next one starts. (I had to clump them in the middle, so they're not all in a line). My eggplants are huge, we harvested turnip greens the other night (enough for all 6 of us!), and my corn (one experimental square) is poised to take over the world!

In short, the others are right -- the Mel's Mix IS the trick. And faithful watering. You need to water deeply really only when you are putting the Mel's Mix into the garden, as long as you water enough to wet the top inch or two of mix every day or two. You do want to keep it damp, but it does use way less water than row gardening. Very Happy
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 4/21/2011, 5:47 pm

TRICK = All-New-Square-Foot-Gardening-book + Water

Very Happy
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/21/2011, 11:48 pm

Got to agree with the rest the only other thing I add is my shadow. I am out there every day looking close for pests and watching it grow.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  dmsandlin 4/22/2011, 9:51 am

Don't be afraid to fail.

And keep notes - they help you remember all the details of the failure so that you tend to not repeat the same mistakes.
dmsandlin
dmsandlin

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 4/22/2011, 1:49 pm

mine is "i pray alot to the gardening gods" do i stress if it dont grow ? nah if it do it do if it dont it dont.

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/22/2011, 1:52 pm

Someone else said it, but here it goes again...

SFG to a T Very Happy .
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  fiddleman 4/22/2011, 9:16 pm

My trick(s) are... double the landscape fabric under the boxes... I have trees that think the garden soil is wonderful stuff too and won't hesitate send roots out across the yard to find a way in. Don't cheap out on the Mel's Mix, and have enough water in the squares... I keep often have one square empty in the garden for one reason or another, and can check how well the soil is being moistened by digging down to the bottom. I used pretty much the original square foot gardening techniques (should we call it classic SFG?) I had improved the soil in the garden over the last 18 years to the point it was pretty darn good; so good I kinda let it coast the last couple of years and more or less exhausted it. I decided to try the All New SFG this year, and based on my previous experiences the Compost is the key...it is more wonderful for the plants than you can imagine- work REALLY hard to find as many different types as you can. You can cheap out on the boxes, with the grid material, but if you don't have enough nutrition available for the plants, they won't be able to produce the ah, em, umm, produce. The vermiculite and peat moss are important, but compost is loose and friable and the plants relish it. Otherwise without good nutrition for the plants, you have to provide it extra- it is so much extra work top dressing with fertilizers, bone meal, foliar feedings, calcium, soil testing... uughhh.

Start a compost pile, no reason to pay for something you can get for free with a small amount of work.

I put a Tupperware container in the garden just for holding scissors, twine, plant markers, and a sharpie so I have any supplies I need right then and don't have to go back indoors. (I have a couple of those silicone packets in there as well to keep the scissors from rusting)

In the summer, don't be afraid to mulch. The sun is so hot, it can dry stuff up pretty quick. If a cool weather plant is almost ready to harvest, and we will be having several days of hot sun and no rain in the forecast, I will put a cedar shake shingle in the ground on the south side of the square so it shades the plant during the hottest part of the day... that way the plant gets morning and evening sun, but doesn't have to take the punishment of the mid-afternoon sun. And I give it all the cool water it can take.

I like to graze my garden while I am out, eating a couple of peas right off the plant, grabbing a bit of lettuce, or eating a tomato plucked right from the vine. I like the reward for taking the time out in the garden.

My last trick, is to keep everything neat and tidy. Every box is weeded at least once a week (not much work when using a soil-less mix). I actually weed every time I visit the garden by noticing how the plants are doing. I am always surprised by how I will go to pull a couple of errant weeds from one one square foot, and before I realize it I have weeded the whole 4'x4' square.

Mark
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 4/22/2011, 10:20 pm

Wow Mark, that was incredibly helpful. Iwillbeusing these tips as well. Thanks!
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/23/2011, 1:37 am

Mark love the tupperwear tip. I love you
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

What's your trick? Empty Re: Whats your trick

Post  tabletopper 4/23/2011, 4:21 am

Tnx for the tips....never thought of doubling the landscape fabric to keep Bermuda grass out of my corn...will try it next time.....Ruth
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 4/23/2011, 7:15 am

Clean your gear and/or have separate tool sets for "general purpose" and your veggies.

A major source of disease in most gardens is the transmission between plants via your snips/cutters.

Don't tend to that sick plant by pruning off the problem areas & then move over to a health plant, without cleaning yr snips/clippers first.

Soap & water or a mild alcohol solution will do the trick.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/23/2011, 7:59 am

Hmm, I liked Mark's tupperware idea, but now I think I'll add a small bottle of alcohol to it to wipe down the scissors between use.

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/23/2011, 8:33 am

Thanks for the reminder acara, I have not been doing that, maybe a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my garden box. My box stays in the house, I don't have a safe place to keep it yet, and I have paper and pen in it too, but it is easily grabbed to go outside. I also have a small bottle of cinnamon in my box, for ants. Maybe we need a "What's In Your Box" thread-teeheehee.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

What's your trick? Empty Re: whats your trick

Post  tabletopper 4/23/2011, 1:06 pm

I have a big rural mail box painted it green on a iron support with a wooden tray that is made to pull everything within reach when the box is opened ...for misc items in the garden ....love it.....Ruth
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  spankyleatherlips 4/23/2011, 1:18 pm

I will have to remember to clean my tools between plants. I always forget that. I will place all my TT garden supplies in a tupperware tote to remind me.
spankyleatherlips
spankyleatherlips

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  muffinator 4/23/2011, 4:13 pm

The mailbox is a good idea! Thanks for that one. I keep all my stuff by my back door, but the mailbox idea is adorable.
muffinator
muffinator

Female Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

What's your trick? Empty Tips & Tricks

Post  GloriaG 4/23/2011, 4:32 pm

You can hide a huge amount of vegetables, herbs and berries in your landscape if you live in an HOA. All you need to do is plan ahead and incorporate a number of smaller SFG's in the landscape rather than one or two big ones. Several of us have HOA's to contend with. My SFG is about 150 sq ft - all as foundation plantings (and a few pots) around the house.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down