Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN Toplef10New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN I22gcj10New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN Toplef10New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN I22gcj10New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN

3 posters

Go down

New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN Empty New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN

Post  Kathy 3/27/2011, 8:55 pm

Good evening from Fairview, TN. My Father was always the gardener in the family and always produced more than enough for all of us in the family to share. Now that he is gone I hope to be able to channel some of his green thumb and produce enough to share as well. The only gardening I've done personally is a random tomato plant in a bucket or flower bed, with limited success.
I've had the desire to do SFG for a while, but couldn't get my husband on board. He has always thought putting in a garden was more trouble than it is worth because of the deer, squirrels and other critters that we have here on our property. As a result we tried joining a CSA in our area. This has worked for a while, but it hasn't quenched my desire to have my own garden.
We have had chickens for 4 yrs. now and will have an ample supply of poop to add to the new compost tumbler I bought last weekend. We've built our first bed which is 5ft. x 3 ft., but haven't put in the soil mix yet. I want to put in at least one more bed on the North side of the garden and make it long and narrow for vining veggies, which I've just started reading about. I hope to eventually have some blackberries and raspberries too, but that doesn't have to happen this yr. I also want an asparagus bed. My Father had a great one and we enjoyed it more than you can imagine.
I look forward to finding out more and more about this SFG thing and hope to enjoy a bountiful harvest.
Blessings.
Kathy

Back to top Go down

New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN Empty Re: New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN

Post  Furbalsmom 3/28/2011, 3:02 am

New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN 396615 Kathy

Glad you and your husband decided to go ahead with SFG. It will be a great way to supplement your veggies and a nice way to spend some time.

One of the nice things about SFG is the way you can easily protect your veggies from deer, squirrels and other critters. In the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book, there are descriptions and instructions for dome type supports and covered wagons, that take just a few pieces of PVC pipe and provide support for netting or shade cloth, if needed. I used deer netting last year and as long as I remembered to close it up, the deer were deprived of the wildlife buffet they thought I was putting out just for them.

Again, Welcome and please keep us updated on the progress of your SFG.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3138

Back to top Go down

New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN Empty Re: New to Gardening & SFG in Fairview, TN

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/28/2011, 11:29 am

Welcome aboard. Glad you bucked the tide and found us.

I would add that coyotes didn't get all the chickens, either. But, that may be being argumentative. I would encourage you to plug in here and learn all you can from the great folks here. You will have so much ammo to convert Hubby that it won't take much time. But, for the foolproof way, put on your best pajamas and hold the book up to yourself telling him that he will get a nice reward for reading the book...a good night's sleep. Watch him become a speed reader! In all seriousness, try and get him to read the book. It may convert him for you.

Besides, you can always build a fence around the SFG or cover it with netting. It's not that big a pain and it keeps critters of all kinds out from rabbits to dogs to toddlers.

If you watch for a post from me in a bit....in Showcase Forum....I will post a pic of my netting setup.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2710

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down