Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" Toplef10The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" I22gcj10The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" Toplef10The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" I22gcj10The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening"

3 posters

Go down

The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" Empty The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening"

Post  has55 3/2/2015, 7:17 am

In some of my past posting, I explained some of the techniques I used when I was a organic farmer. I learned the techniques from the book authored by 'Dick Raymond'-"The Joy Of Gardening". That was in the days of turning over the soil with my tiller, hauling in tons of horse manure, leaves and applying the "sheet composting " method which dramatically changed my heavily red clay soil to dark rich sandy loam soil loaded with worms. I thankful for SFG and those days are long gone. But I'm still a lazy gardner at heart. That why the SFG Journey continues, looking for simpler methods so I can go do other things that are in my heart.
during this journey, I kept looking for ways not to spend more time out on the farm weeding. I ended up using "grass mulching" to suppress the weeds. I still use it around my trees to suppress the grass, avoid weed eating near the bark and bring on the worms for tunneling for allowing roots to go deeper, on site vermicomposting, soil aeration and on site surface sheet composting. this year will be following the result of my Grass mulching, BTE mulching and in bed vermicomposting and the worm tea.

here's my winter picture of sheet composting around my trees. don't have a fall or spring picture. forgot to take a picture. 
The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" Winter10

anyway, I continuing looking for easier ways to produce great crops in my no till SFG beds.the video below talks more about Mr. Masanobu Fuuoaka style from his book "the One Straw Revolution". It seems I found some of his practices on my own. so did Patrick Dolan. Enjoy.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" Empty Re: The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening"

Post  has55 3/2/2015, 10:48 am

I thought I add this one to the theme too.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" Empty Re: The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening"

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/2/2015, 12:25 pm

Thanks for posting both of those videos, they were quite enjoyable with my morning coffee Very Happy

I'm working more toward the letting the compost make itself on the beds mode (with supplemental hot composting for making new SFG bed Mel's Mix)  Gathering the materials from our pasture is enough exercise on it's own so being able to accomplish more with less work is a good goal!  My theme for this year is from Jesus' words "My burden is easy, my yoke is light."  God made nature to take care of itself and improve with the gentle hand of stewardship.  

I LOVE learning about this stuff!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 3/4/2015, 9:51 pm

Wonderful videos, thank you so much for sharing!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 3/4/2015, 9:55 pm

Has55 I had forgotten the idea of using cut grass as a weed suppressor, thank you for posting that. My grass clippings just get cut up back on my lawn. Good for the lawn, but no clippings for the beds or around the trees.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/6/2015, 12:17 pm

this is what the grass mulch looks like with the snow almost gone . it breaking down. so additional grass will be added this late spring. the worms are doing their thing, plus aerating the soil.

The SFG Journey-continuing my lazy gardening idea-"Do-nothing Gardening" Grass_10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 3/7/2015, 1:38 pm

It is looking nice and Spring will be there very soon!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down