Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 Toplef10Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 I22gcj10Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 Toplef10Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 I22gcj10Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Today at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wal-Mart has mushroom compost!

+16
Old Hippie
MasonGarden
NHGardener
boffer
CarolynPhillips
The Cat's Other Mother
PeggyC
middlemamma
JACC0811
BackyardBirdGardner
Blackrose
camprn
jumiclads
Megan
jerzyjen
ander217
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart has mushroom compost!

Post  MasonGarden 3/27/2011, 1:48 pm

I looked at the site, and have a question. Since mushroom compost includes straw from horse stables (with manure I presume), hay, poultry litter, ground corn cobs, cottonseed hulls, cocoa shells, does this count as 4-5 sources of compost as Mel suggests, in one product??

thinking
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 Empty Re: Wal-Mart has mushroom compost!

Post  Old Hippie 3/27/2011, 1:50 pm

During the growing season, I like to add bits of compost to the garden. If you think about it, you don't like to eat just once every season and plants are kind of like people. They like to eat during the growing season too. And just like you should have a varied diet, so should plants......which is why we give them five kinds of compost. But while they are growing quickly and producing the veggies, a little extra boost here and there never hurts. Think of it as an energy drink for your plants with a few extra vitamins and minerals thrown in.

Something I do with my garden is grind up some of the daily peelings etc. from the kitchen in the blender. Then I dig a small hole in one of the squares and pour the stuff in and cover it up. It is like a "protein shake" if you will. Sometimes I make a hole in the middle of a square and just bury some banana peels, apple cores, etc. Worms come from all over. In just a few days most of the stuff is gone and the worms have aerated the soil and left their castings behind. It is just composting in place. Told you I was lazy.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/27/2011, 1:52 pm

Old Hippie wrote:If you think about it, you don't like to eat just once every season and plants are kind of like people. They like to eat during the growing season too.

Sometimes I make a hole in the middle of a square and just bury some banana peels, apple cores, etc. Worms come from all over. In just a few days most of the stuff is gone and the worms have aerated the soil and left their castings behind. It is just composting in place. Told you I was lazy.

Gwynn
HA! Brilliant!! What a Face
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/27/2011, 1:53 pm

MasonGarden wrote:I looked at the site, and have a question. Since mushroom compost includes straw from horse stables (with manure I presume), hay, poultry litter, ground corn cobs, cottonseed hulls, cocoa shells, does this count as 4-5 sources of compost as Mel suggests, in one product??

Wal-Mart has mushroom compost! - Page 2 601593
I counts as one type of compost. Wink
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/27/2011, 2:18 pm

Old Hippie - I think that was Ruth Stout's method of garden mulch - just throw everything there and let it mulch/compost itself. My cousins used to live next door to her in Connecticut. Supposedly it worked for her.

This is an excerpt:

"My no-work gardening method is simply to keep a thick mulch of any vegetable matter that rots on both my vegetable and flower garden all year round. As it decays and enriches the soil, I add more. The labor-saving part of my system is that I never plow, spade, sow a cover crop, harrow, hoe, cultivate, weed, water or spray. I use just one fertilizer (cottonseed or soybean meal), and I don't go through that tortuous business of building a compost pile."

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2004-02-01/Ruth-Stouts-System.aspx

Last edited by NHGardener on 3/27/2011, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/27/2011, 2:18 pm

I count it as one compost also, but I used one from a nursery. Hope its better.

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  tkdtara84 3/30/2011, 12:12 am

Our Lowe's has mushroom compost, too. I've only found that and manure, and since I don't have my own compost system yet, it looks like I'm going to have a two ingredient mixture, unfortunately.
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/30/2011, 1:55 am

tkdtara,
Were you able to find more than one type of composted manure? Chicken, Horse and Cow all count as separate types of compost.
Even in my little town of 700, I can find three types of composted manure (just outside the local grocery store). But, in order to get at least five types of compost, I do have to drive to a larger town.
Other possible sources are Farm and Tractor stores, Feed stores, Grange, Nurseries, Wal-mart, Home Depot, some of the larger grocery stores even have a gardening department.
I would try to give places like this a call rather than running from one end of town to the other. You may save yourself a trip and find another type or two.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/1/2011, 6:43 am

jumiclads wrote:The reason I was wondering about this is beacause on the compost bags it always tells you how long the nutrients are good for when in use, which on most is about 5 or 6 weeks. So we obviously need to keep adding compost between crops.

What happens then if its a crop that takes months to grow and uses up all the nutrients before it is harvested. Does the plant start to show signs of missing something.

I can see that the crop rotation is still a necessary thing to do because different vedge uses up and also puts back into the soil different nutrients. Also diseases etc. never show up till it's too late to do anything and then you wish that you had done some sort of crop rotation. So Ander217 I would stick to what you have had pounded into you.

Mick:

Compost will last for years. I think the "how long it lasts" that is on the bag is a method of getting you to buy more. As long as you have a good mix of various composts there is no need to add more between harvests.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/1/2011, 6:46 am

WardinWake wrote:
jumiclads wrote:The reason I was wondering about this is beacause on the compost bags it always tells you how long the nutrients are good for when in use, which on most is about 5 or 6 weeks. So we obviously need to keep adding compost between crops.

What happens then if its a crop that takes months to grow and uses up all the nutrients before it is harvested. Does the plant start to show signs of missing something.

I can see that the crop rotation is still a necessary thing to do because different vedge uses up and also puts back into the soil different nutrients. Also diseases etc. never show up till it's too late to do anything and then you wish that you had done some sort of crop rotation. So Ander217 I would stick to what you have had pounded into you.

Mick:

Compost will last for years. I think the "how long it lasts" that is on the bag is a method of getting you to buy more. As long as you have a good mix of various composts there is no need to add more between harvests.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
Mick, you can top dress your long growing, heavy feeding plants with
fresh compost and get the nutritional benefit to the plant roots with
watering. Wink
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2