Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Toplef10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 I22gcj10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Toplef10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 I22gcj10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Toy Box (the return)

+31
Icemaiden
Mamachibi
Goosegirl
happycamper
Blackrose
sherryeo
quiltbea
FamilyGardening
stripesmom
nancy
Ha-v-v
donnainzone5
shannon1
dixie
walshevak
dizzygardener
windrider1967
elliephant
middlemamma
ander217
boffer
bettyd_z7_va
janine
Megan
jumiclads
BackyardBirdGardner
FarmerValerie
Aub
miinva
Furbalsmom
Lavender Debs
35 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Empty Re: The Toy Box (the return)

Post  mijejo 7/23/2011, 6:19 pm

My-oh-my!!! That looks like a great dish! Too bad I did not grow any fava beans this year! Do you think I could substitute another veggie?
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/23/2011, 6:44 pm

I did MI. It was orginally a garbanzo bean salad based upon a potato salad, so go for it!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 7/23/2011, 11:50 pm

Wonderful, LavenderDebs, I kept licking my lips thinking about how this would taste.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3138

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/24/2011, 1:08 am

Smile yummy Deb!

you make the best video's!

how long did you have to cook the fava beans to be able to shell them?

hugs
rose....who really wants one of those lemon squeeezer thingy Deb has Very Happy
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2422

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/24/2011, 11:47 am

Thanks FB mom!

@Rose.... it is just like dipping a tomato to peel.... 30 seconds in the hot water is all.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Empty Lazy Daze of Summer?

Post  Lavender Debs 7/29/2011, 11:41 am

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Goldnu10

I don't know if the days feel lazy, but it does feel abundant. The PNW is in contrast to the rest of the states, Cold and wet in a crazy hot year. I feel like I have been doing so much work in the garden with very little to eat from it. Suddenly there is food, now what?

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 00610

I've even seen full size green beans!

My little pie cherry tree is not part of my SFG but it is in a pot of MM in my yard. It is covered with cherries BUT it is so little that even when covered with fruit there is not enough for a pie. So what to do with all those cherries? Lavender-Sour Cherry Focaccia Bread. There will be more details on Music of the Rain soon.

[youtube][/youtube]
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 7/29/2011, 2:29 pm

Debs, waiting for the full recipe, like amount of sour cherries, temp and time to bake.

I was able to harvest 14 Montmorency Cherries recently. No bird damage, but this is only the second season since I purchased the bare root tree and planted it in MM in a BIG pot.

I have some culinary lavender. Would one stem of dried flowers equal about a teaspoon or maybe just a half teaspoon of loose dried blossoms?

The foccacia sounds very tasty and I am anxious to try it.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3138

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/29/2011, 3:37 pm

um.....The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 418730 i see a RIPE tomato!!

hugs

rose....oh there is hope.....
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 7/29/2011, 3:39 pm

Always love reading about your garden Lavender...I am so excited you have ripe tomatoes!

Maybe that means my first ones are only a few weeks off! One can hope!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2261

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/29/2011, 4:37 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:snip....amount of sour cherries, temp and time to bake.

I was able to harvest 14 Montmorency Cherries recently. No bird damage, but this is only the second season since I purchased the bare root tree and planted it in MM in a BIG pot.

I have some culinary lavender. Would one stem of dried flowers equal about a teaspoon or maybe just a half teaspoon of loose dried blossoms? ....

WooT-wOOt! on your cherries!

For you I just crushed a dry stem of lavender, it came to 3/4 of a teaspoon. (but is was a good size flower head) Thanks for asking, I'm more of a "pinch," "dash," and "hand-full" kind of girl. Both my mom and gram'ma hoped I would learn to measure correctly (and teach them) in home-ecc. I did learn but keep going back to my roots.

I thought I wasn't going to have many cherries on my 2 year old tree either, I think I fell short of the 2 cups of sour cherries the Martha Stewart recipe called for. If I had less I would have divided the dough and made a smaller cherry focaccia and another with berries, peaches or sweet cherries. I also think a sour cherry-peach (or blueberry or nectarine) combo would work with this simple bread.

My sons have been on me to start writing things down, I just happened to do so for this bread.

My machine is an older 1.5 lb loaf maker. I also have measurements for a 1 lb loaf if you want.

BTW you do not need as much oil as I made. 2 Tablespoons in the loaf and 2 for the infused oil would be enough.

--I sprinkled on course organic sugar BUT I did that after it was in the oven (whoops...all the smoke is why you did not see it on the movie). Next time I think I'll toss the cherries with the sugar before I press them into the focaccia instead of putting it all over the top (and I sure will not dump it into the oven!!)

This can be 100% white or wheat if your machine can handle wheat.

Lavender-Sour Cherry Focaccia for a 1.5 lb bread machine loaf

Dry:

• 4 teaspoons dry yeast
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup unbleached bread flour
  • 1.5 Tablespoons dry milk powder
  • 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon lavender buds

Wet:

• 1.25 (1 and 1/4) cups warm water
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1.5 teaspoons honey

Toppings

• 2 cups sour cherries (or whatever you have)
  • 1 Tablespoon (organic) sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon lavender buds (fresh or dry, use the same amount)
  • 2 Tablespoons oil for infused lavender oil

Add the wet and dry ingredients to your machine in the order the manufacture calls for. Set the control for manual.

Toss the cherries with the sugar (probably just before using them on the bread)

In a small bowl mix the Tablespoon of lavender and the 2nd 2 Tablespoons of oil together. You may choose to heat this in the microwave for 30 seconds to speed the infusion process. Set aside.

To finish:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. The bread will bake on the bottom 3rd of the oven--adjust a rack.

note you may proof the bread once after it is removed from your machine. I like to do this with whole wheat but not with white.

Generously oil a baking sheet. You can use some of the infused oil.

With your fingers, press out the focaccia. (does not need to proof/rise once it is in the pan)

With a pastry brush generously oil the top of the bread with the infused oil.

If you have not already, toss the cherries with the sugar.

Alternately you can sprinkle the sugar on top of the cherries and bread.

Press the cherries into the bread.

Note; for this focaccia you do not need to dimple the dough, pressing the cherries will accomplish that for you.

Bake 20 minutes at 425. Remove from the sheet to a cooling rack right away. Enjoy hot or cold.

Debs....who had 3 yellow tomatoes in the basket too (must have been a good day for cherries)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/29/2011, 4:48 pm

middlemamma wrote:snip...I am so excited you have ripe tomatoes!
Maybe that means my first ones are only a few weeks off! One can hope!

Thanks! but I need to confess that they are cherry tomatoes. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have them but my big tomatoes (uh-hum some of which are not much bigger then cherry toms) still have a way to go. There was one I had hopes for but when night temps dropped to the mid 40's in all that rain it started to rot so I tossed it over the fence.

Debs...trying to be happy about itty-bittys
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Empty July 30, 2nd day of Summer.

Post  Lavender Debs 7/31/2011, 10:35 am

Bush beans are just starting to come on. The zuchinni keeps making blossoms, we've eaten the first bucket of creamy sweet fingerling potatoes (Peanut) and harvested the last of the regular yellow potatoes to take camping. Speaking of camping, there is only one yellow transparent apple this year (lots of sweet reds that I need to check the names of, one is gala, the other has a Japanese name). Instead of making a birthday pie for Chris we'll take it with us and make a baked apple in the fire for him. Ray and I have been eating cherry tomatoes and putting the last of the snow peas into everything. I can start using the fennel but it is still really small. Blueberries are ready.

In cleaning up Box 4 to transplant strawberries into, I harvested all kinds of shallots. I just need to remember to put some into the ground for spring onions.

I'll be shocked if I get eggplant or peppers of any kind but they are trying. No eggs yet but the girls are young. LOTS of Lavender that I need to take care of before we leave.

I think the Goldfinch has a nest in that Alder tree. He is back and forth all day. Often sitting at the top singing goldfinch lullabies to the babies. He is my happy distraction. He is a little crazy, saw him chase off a red-headed woodpecker earlier. The crows, who entertain them selves by attacking the resident eagles in flight were also chased off by papa goldfinch. He must be the terrier of the finch world.

[youtube][/youtube]

I forgot to say, now get out and get dirty.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Empty Tomato Tuesday on Friday

Post  Lavender Debs 8/5/2011, 12:23 pm

Ray and I were away on tuesday but I did tape this on Tuesday, just did not have time to upload it. So, here it is on Friday.

Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/5/2011, 12:59 pm

Deb Love you video's as always and so glad you put them up to share with all of us!

I cant wait to go out and smell my daughters sweet peas....we had no idea they had any kind of smell to them.....we will have to get up on a ladder to get to them Laughing should be fun.....wish i could hear what they neighbors will be saying...ha ha ha

hugs

rose.....
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 8/5/2011, 1:58 pm

Rose if there is ANY sun, you will not need to climb to smell the sweet peas. Just stand in the area for a bit.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/30/2011, 1:40 pm

been thinking of you Deb Very Happy

havent seen you on for awhile.....hope all is well with you and your family

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 993580

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 11/6/2011, 8:03 am

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Novemb10

School has finally settled into a comfortable routine. My garden has been as abandoned as my thread. It is a mess! Now that it is cold and dry days are rare again, I finally have time to putter. I’m afraid that my garden home wants more hard work than puttering.

The tomatoes I was forced to pick green have been turning brilliant shades of red, pink and yellow. Soup that I seldom sacrifice a vine ripe tomato to has been a regular feature at the autumn dinner table. Last Sabbath it was embellished with onion slices and fresh chard from the toy box, and lentils from my pantry. Dessert was the best apple cake I have ever tried. Pretty red apples from the espaliered tree at the edge of my boxes provided the crisp fruit.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Novemb11

Earlier this season I made a decision to try different proteins. I had both success and failures. The black garbanzo beans I was looking forward to were disappointing. I have some seed that I may give to a square next spring, but even though they were pretty they were too few and too fragile for my area. Fava beans and the Rockwell cranberry beans were successful. I have included a video (or at least a link) at the end of this post on fall planting fava beans in a SFG. Honestly it is mostly about my shovel and dirt. Next summer I plan to greatly increase the number of squares given to Rockwell beans.

Still picking chard, kale, purple sprouting broccoli, parsley, leeks, celeriac and a plethora of herbs from the herb garden. Looking for leaves to gather for the compost. It is weird to live in a yard that does not have leaves to rake.

Debs…..getting cold looking at the first frost glistening on the deck.

Burrr, cream puff clouds scattered across the blue sky of a brilliant autumn day. 45/39 (it is 30 degrees as I tap this out)

Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Empty Clean up on Box 1

Post  Lavender Debs 11/8/2011, 2:22 pm

The garden is a mess due to neglect. I finally have had some time to get out and start cleaning.

Before The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_8_10

On Sunday Ray and I took a drive to score some leaves for mulch and compost fodder. I hope that is the last load of grass clippings for the year, but I remember having that hope last time the lawn was mown. The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_8_12

After putting in a thick layer of maple leaves in the compost I started the slow but happy work of cleaning up box 1. Spade full of compost in empty squares to feed the critters that keep my plants happy. The leeks got extra compost in their squares and a nice layer of maple leaves. The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_8_13

Things have slowed down with my students but work has not come to a halt yet. To get both jobs done I overview, correct and activate one student, run out and clean up 4 squares and repeat. It is a pretty day out; I find it difficult to come back in to do school work (which I really should be doing right now).

Suprise! In box 1 there is a square of chard, 3 of leeks and CILANTRO! The cilantro must have self seeded. I almost pulled it out as I cleaned up the garden.....but this weed passed the sniff test. The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_8_14

Debs....One Box done, 6 to go (plus the asparagus and herb gardens) Need of more leaves

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_8_15 Scattered clouds with brilliant sun breaks. 54 degrees on a day that was only going to hit 52.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 11/16/2011, 2:30 am

so happy to see you posting again deb!

i always look forward to your pictures and video's Very Happy ......your leeks look so yummy!....i love leeks!....and i want to plant fava beans this year....i bought some....but havent put them in the ground yet.....do they need anything to climb or do they just bush up?

sounds like you are very busy!.....how are the nuggets doing?....i cant remember if they are laying eggs yet.....Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Empty Winter is blowing in.

Post  Lavender Debs 11/18/2011, 11:45 am

With the glass top stove Ray bought in the spring, I did not get much put up this year. Bummer. Lucky for us, canned goods are not the whole story. There are a few small sweet squash that we are saving for Thanksgiving. I've been protecting my last carrots with only a pitch-fork as a weapon. They will also be on our Thanksgiving table (at least in the stuffing).The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_1010 Leeks composted and mulched (makes them easier to pull from frozen mix) and the last square of carrots.

Last of the green tomatoes colored up and became pasta sauce Thursday night. The boys nearly licked the pot clean. Most of my tomatoes were deep golden Persimmons. When they are blended with the red and pink tomatoes the sauce becomes a muddy color instead of red. Still, it was so good; a little taste of summer. Since the basil is long gone I chopped up a funnel bulb for that basil essence we get in summer. There is still parsley that went into the sauce too. I'm saving the fresh bay leaves for the afore mentioned Thanksgiving table.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_1011 Celeriac A first for me. I have been using the leaves and stems in soup stock. The roots are still in growing. I'm sure I'll soon give them a try, but for now I like having just the right amount of fresh celery flavor in my soups. I already have plans to grow much more of this surprise next year. I plan to give celery a few squares too. A blog I read assures me that I can pot up immature celery, put it in a dark place and it will keep growing through the winter. As a bonus it blanches in the dark.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_1012 The parsley and chard have also been a welcome addition to the soup pot. Those are leeks and a few of the fennel in the background. What looks like a garbage dump up against the fence is actually a bag of maple leaves (I do not have a tree that dumps into my yard so we go for Sunday drives to find them), the pile of dirt is actually finished compost that has been going into the boxes and pots. The big black bin is full of compostables for next year.

Debs......yep, we are getting eggs (4 a day)

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_1013 Burrr, it isn't really freezing cold but the rain is mixed with snow. Seattle is all a flutter because we MIGHT get a couple of inches of snow. Things could change tonight. Weather wizards are telling me that it could get down to 23 tonight. Poor nuggets.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Empty Burrrrrr

Post  Lavender Debs 11/19/2011, 8:28 pm

All morning on the news I was hearing about snow in Western Washington. It sounded like everyone had snow. To my delight, there was only sparkly frost in my garden.

Debs.....just trying to keep the nugget water liquid

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_1810 I am still hearing that there could be snow tonight. It has been such a pretty day that I will be surprised if there are enough clouds to make snow. High of 41. Someone thinks it could get down to 28 tonight, I'm sure that means no clouds. Two dog night.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Empty Rainy day on the little farm in the city

Post  Lavender Debs 11/22/2011, 8:15 pm

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_2210

It felt like ice water gushing into my socks. I have moved more stepping stones this year than I could shake a stick at. Had to move another one this morning so that I would not have to stand in a puddle to let the nuggets out of the Easter Basket. Almost over-night the once pretty yellow straw has turned black; poor girls. I need to find a bunch of maple branches so they can perch comfortably out of the slop. The side-ways rain beat the cover Ray put over their run.

I am so happy that we did not get snow yesterday. The ground was wet enough with all the rain. I can only imagine what it would be like with snow melt. I should check the rain gage when I shut the girls in for the night.

I spent my day dreaming about next year. You can click on the link to see what dreams may materialize by spring.

Dreaming With Paint at Music of the Rain

Debs....with split pea soup simmering on the stove (maybe we can leave the pies alone)

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 Nov_2110 Self-sown peas ~*~ Stormy weather; wind gusts that can blow over trees and take off shingles. The south wind gave us a day time temp of 49 but the rain sucked away the heat. Barometric pressure is still low so it will be blustery tonight but the temperature should not drop below 41. Hang onto your hats!

Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/22/2011, 8:19 pm

Whatcha think, Deb, will this be a Thanksgiving when we all lose power? It's been a couple years for me.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 11/22/2011, 8:29 pm

boffer wrote:Whatcha think, Deb, will this be a Thanksgiving when we all lose power? It's been a couple years for me.

??? A couple of years since you have lost power on Thanksgiving or since you have lost power (both are common in Western Washington in case you wonder why I'm asking him).

We lost power for the first time since moving to Everett about a week ago. Steve Pool and the kindergarten teacher (channel 7 kiro.....she was always speaking to us like we were in kindergarten when she started, never learned her name, the label stuck) are saying there will be a thanksgiving storm. Better bake early!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 11/23/2011, 12:29 am

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 8 3868 We had our first power outage last night, with 50 mph wind gusts. I was in the dark for a second, then heard bang..........bangbang........boom. I thought, "That can't be good."
90 minutes later, they were here on the poles, and at 5 am I woke up to lots of light, and heat. Nice. way to go
The storm is predicted for Thursday all day again. At least, no snow. SO much rain, though! We're earning our rainy reputation all in one week this year!

j
hungry hungry hungry hungry hungry hungry hungry hungry hungry hungry
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 236

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next