Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Toplef10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 I22gcj10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Toplef10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 I22gcj10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Toy Box (the return)

+31
Icemaiden
Mamachibi
Goosegirl
happycamper
Blackrose
sherryeo
quiltbea
FamilyGardening
stripesmom
nancy
Ha-v-v
donnainzone5
shannon1
dixie
walshevak
dizzygardener
windrider1967
elliephant
middlemamma
ander217
boffer
bettyd_z7_va
janine
Megan
jumiclads
BackyardBirdGardner
FarmerValerie
Aub
miinva
Furbalsmom
Lavender Debs
35 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Empty Re: The Toy Box (the return)

Post  shannon1 5/20/2011, 12:11 am

Those nuggets are growing faster than my cucumbers did. flower
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Empty Fava Bean Flowers?

Post  Lavender Debs 5/20/2011, 6:56 pm

I'm new to Fava Beans so I am just guessing that these are their flowers.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2010
I hear that aphids can be an issue on Fava Beans. Sure enough there are ants wearing overalls and straw hats.

Cash Crop?
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2011
I wondered out loud if we would be able to divide this broccoli between the four of us. Chris thought it must be this year’s cash crop. That didn't sound encouraging.

Deborah....I actually thought "it's too hot" before I came to my senses and slapped myself silly.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2012 One more day of sun in the PNW. The promise is for low pressure and the weather that comes with it by tomorrow.....just in time for us to go to Sequim to see friends. 71 degrees and baby blue sky today. I had to reacquaint myself with the watering can.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/21/2011, 11:01 am

FamilyGardening wrote:Those nuggets are sooo cute!....we have been tossing the idea around since last summer......snip

We tossed the same idea about. I put one of my sons in charge of Easter baskets this year. Mine was chirping. Time table put into overdrive.

They spent last night out in their now diggs. When I went out to close off Guantanamo Lil'bit jumped on my shoulder and wouldn't get off. She wanted to go inside. I gave her the big girl talk and put her back in with her sisters (who love the perch)

Debs.....I need a life
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Empty Just got home from Sequim Bay

Post  Lavender Debs 5/24/2011, 9:50 pm

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2413
There wasn't any lavender. I cannot remember the last time I was in Sequim and there wasn't lavender. We did not bring the kayaks and we always paddle the bay. Even with Rudy we saw an amazing number of birds so that was nice. I had not been home 20 minutes when I was happily back out in the yard potting up determinant tomatoes. (already posted about that in the PNW Tomato Tuesday thread for May 24). Now that I have all these empty 12 inch pots I should start up-potting my eggplant and peppers tomorrow. Everything survived my absence. That little broccoli doubled in size. The indeterminate tomatoes in the tent have all turned a pretty shade of green. Some of the cauliflower I started in soil cubes has sprouted. They should go into the 4 inch pots that the eggplant and peppers will give up. What a game of shuffle.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2414
Those pink nubs were blossoms on the fava beans. Look at them now! They just got prettier. The snow peas in the square close by are growing up. Beets look like it is time to make a side dish of the thinnings and the chard might become something yummy soon. The lettuce is still holding back though. Don't know what’s up with that. It seems like perfect lettuce weather. I've got to find some mulch for the potatoes and the leeks. The good news is that the lawn really needs to be mown.

Debs....even so, I wanna go back to Sequim
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2415 The thing is, I don't even know what the weather is going to be. It is pleasant enough outside right now, 65 degrees at a quarter to seven at night. No idea what tonight's low should be. I guess I'll find out tonight.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/25/2011, 1:07 am

your garden looks so lush!

sounds like you had a good time and everyone grew while you were gone Very Happy even the lawn LOL

how did the nugget do?

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/25/2011, 3:46 am

Debs, that fava blossom is beautiful. Love the dark purple part inside the white with little stripes.

You need to go to Sequim in July, during the lavender festival. Heaven on earth!
My son got married at one of the lavender farms in Sequim, August 2009. Beautiful then too.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/25/2011, 11:10 am

@rose The nuggets were happy to see me. Their house is done but they would still like to come in at night and were hoping I might rescue them instead of making them be big girls and sleep outside.

@Val; we go to Sequim nearly every July for a number of reasons. The scent and the birds are important reasons. Seeing Elk in summer relax mode is another. A side trip to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park is another. We gave up long distance back packing due to injuries that get more intense with age but took up Kayaking and the waters of Sequim Bay are perfect for a day of easy paddling. But the best reason?
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Purple10

There is more beauty than just the Lavender Farms.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Sunris10

The Lavender Mocha's are an awesome way to start the day. Way kewl place for a wedding!

@FBmom Who would have thought I could still discover something new. Maybe discover is the wrong word.

Debs....who likes to go the week after the festival because it is far less crowded.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/25/2011, 12:30 pm

Debs....who likes to go the week after the festival because it is far less crowded
+1

Have you tried the lavender lemon Ice Cream?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/25/2011, 12:38 pm

@FBmom; YES! but I still love the blackberry lavender that I make myself. Lemons and lavender are SO good together. I make lavender-lemon curd for Christmas, sometimes at other times of year too. Mixed half and half with whipped cream in summer (remember summer?) the guys like it on shortcake.

Debs ....who just saw that it was your son, not Val's who got married on a lavender farm. (Purple Haze?)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/25/2011, 1:13 pm

Debs said "Purple Haze"

Yes, the family of the groom (my other kids and their families) stayed in the cottage there. We had rehearsal dinner in the back yard of the cottage. We all enjoyed walking thru the veggie garden and small orchard as well as the lavender fields.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Empty One Small Harvest

Post  Lavender Debs 5/28/2011, 12:47 pm

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2810
French breakfast radishes. Actually this is not the first harvest, I just forgot that I put them in an icy glass in the window so they would stay crisp and clean until supper time. Then I forgot to set them out. So here they are in the morning light.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2811
I left that tiny little Nutri-bud Broccoli alone. It has got a little bigger, but I still would not call it "family size," in fact I wouldn't even call it a crudité yet.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2812
Ray worked grave-yard last night. Why is that important? Because he slept most of the day. Why is that important? Because it was the 2nd (somewhat) sunny day in a row. Why is that important? The lawn had gotten a bit dryer and Jason was going to mow after 3:30 PM while I did the weed whacking. Why is that important? Because at 3:15 the rain started to come down. Why is that important? Because I have been using grass clippings to back fill my potato pots. So what am I saying? I have straw for the nuggets. Straw is messy, it gets everywhere, but it does the job. If it stays wet out I will soon have wheat grass growing from the seed that didn't make it through the thresher. The seed is the reason the nuggets love straw for bedding. The seed is the reason I quit using hay in the garden. The potatoes were getting so tall I did not want to wait longer to fill the pot (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2813
Two or three days ago my Perfection (Florence) Fennel sprouted. When the mix is dry it is nearly impossible to see fennel sprouts in a photo. We had some epic rainfall last night. At one point I went out to make sure I did not need to protect the gardens from hail; but it was just a heavy rain. Always looking for the blessing (you may call it the bright side) I can now show off the fennel. It has its own 2x2 box this year. It killed off just about everything that was planted near it last year.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2814 The Flower Moon is waning. Any waning moon is a rest period, a good time to put in transplants. I needed the pretty ceramic pot the comfrey was growing in for a blueberry. The comfrey did poorly last summer so it was not a hard decision to pull it out and put something new in the blue pot. The comfrey roots looked like limp rope but I cut them up and repotted those dead looking sticks in gallon pots. To my delight they began to sprout. Yesterday I dumped a couple of shovels full of compost into the plastic pot with soil mix and put 4 pots of comfrey starts in. Yea! The biggest strongest cutting still needs a place to call home. I also put in a Marion Berry and a Logan Berry where the raspberries were last year. The raspberries all died but I am guessing that since both kinds of wild blackberries (costal natives that are ripe in July and the big Himalayans that are ripe in September) do so well just over the fence, maybe my domestic blackberries will thrive too. They are just beyond the comfrey pot. You can see the little Logan Berry against the far post. The Marion is behind the comfrey pot. That wire mess with the yellow dish used to be a bird cover for my 4x4 boxes. Now it is a play pen for the nuggets until we can get a proper chicken tractor built for them.

Debs ....still wondering where I will plant all those cauliflower sprouts that were started in soil blocks?
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2815 When the weather prophet says the weather is "unsettled" she means that it is going to change throughout the day. It happens when the pressure drops and a new storm or system is blowing in. From blue sky to rain jacket in 10 minutes or less and back again. That was yesterday, today the pressure has come up just a bit but it is still cold. With a 50/50 chance for rain I may be baking instead of BBQ'ing this weekend. Never mind, there is a race that I like on TV and a garden I love just off the deck. The high will be somewhere in the 56 to 61 degree range, the low of 47 won't hurt the tomatoes but it will not make them happy either.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/29/2011, 12:17 am

oh it all looks so wonderful!

last night we took a car ride out to ( boffer's neck of the woods) Very Happy ......when i thought hail was coming down too!!....that was some big heavy rain drops last night!!

I love hearing all about your garden, nuggets and berries Very Happy we planted four rasberry plants, two samon berries in with two native black berries.....hubby put up stakes and wire to make us a small.....berry patch Very Happy the best part....is the new berries are from our childrens school plant sale.....so they are from someone else's berry patch local.....fingers crossed we get some and the birds leave them alone Very Happy

oh....by the way....i mowed today and used the grass clippings like you suggested Very Happy to *hill up* my potatoes!

hugs
rose.....who really wanted to stick her hand down deep into the potatoe garbage can to find some potatoes Laughing
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/29/2011, 10:51 am

That little broccoli is coming along, but true, it is not yet family size. The potatoes look good. I just found some All Blue seed potatoes, and I know it is late to plant, but they are long season potatoes so I am putting them out today.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/29/2011, 10:55 am

@FBmom; I don't think it is too late to plant potatoes. They should be perfect this fall! Do you remember which blue they are?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/29/2011, 11:38 am

The variety is All Blue with blue skin, white interior ring and blue mottled middle. Long season.

This is not where I got mine, but they are the same variety ALL BLUE POTATO
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/29/2011, 2:07 pm

oh boy....blue potatoes!!!

love that!....didnt even know there was such a thing Very Happy

hugs
Rose who is crazy about potatoes!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Empty The Toy Box (the return)

Post  sherryeo 5/29/2011, 2:53 pm

Lavender Debs - Love your thread! You do such interesting things with your garden and it's so gorgeous! I always enjoy reading your posts!

Furbalsmom - Do the potatoes stay blue when you cook them :?:
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/29/2011, 5:52 pm

Sherryeo, I know they stay blue when cooked, but can't remember if it is then intense blue or pale blue. Too long since I have cooked any.

According to the link provided above, the color stays better when fried or baked. Loses some color when microwaved or boiled.

Last edited by Furbalsmom on 5/29/2011, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cooking info)
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Empty The Toy Box (the return)

Post  sherryeo 5/29/2011, 6:05 pm

Ooops! I thought I checked the link thoroughly to see if the answer to my question was there, but somehow missed it! Thanks for the reply, Furbalsmom.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Empty Golden Eggs

Post  Lavender Debs 5/30/2011, 11:55 am

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_3010
Tradition tells me that corn and green beans go in Memorial Day. Not going to happen this year. I still do not have a place to start corn, and beans will want at least a week of warm, dry weather after they are pressed into the ground. A new storm system is moving onshore in the PNW. Not a traditional "storm" but days of unsettled weather from low pressure, clouds and cold showers. Just enough cold wet to rot bean seeds in the ground. A couple of weeks ago we got all the way up to room temperature outside and made shadows on the ground. With cautious ambition I planted a square of Provider Beans (9 to a square, somewhat cold tolerant, bush bean, seed from Uprising) Just to be on the safe side I put that kewl cloche over them. This bean picture was from my morning putzing. I quickly put the cloche back over the brave sprouts.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_3011
My potatoes have been looking so beat up after stuffing straw into their bins. They seem to be recovering.

@FBmom, I buy a mix of fingerling potatoes from Costco. I am still getting used to the idea of growing potatoes instead of buying them. There was a time when they were so cheap that I didn't care to give them any garden space. Yesterday I wanted potatoes for a salad to go with BBQ. Safeway was asking just under $6.00 for a 5 pound bag of yellow potatoes ($1.29 a pound to get them from the open bin). I am a little more excited to grow potatoes now. (Back from that rabbit trail...) The blue fingerlings hold their color when cooked. As kewl and tasty as they are, the pink and white always go first. Something about a blue potato turns them off. The guys treat them like canned spinach. More for me.

Outside the box:
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_3012
Ray, Jason and I got to work on the yard for the nuggets. They are getting too big for Guantanamo and the little 4x4 box cover is a pain. I still want to make a nice secure tractor to put over another 4 x 8 garden but funds are low. It isn't just potatoes that have got expensive. I think I heard Ray mumbling something about $300.00 for eggs !?! (that was just for the yard).
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_3013
First trip out to the new porch. Oh the gossip that went on before Stella (the former Pecker Head, but really, she needs a nicer name) took the plunge. The rest quickly followed. Ray had asked if he should put a hand (wing?) rail on the ramp. Jay told him they would only need it if they ate the beer drowned slugs. Apparently we will only give them fresh slugs until they turn 21.

Debs....who hurts in places she did not realize she could hurt and whose hands got cut up even with gloves on.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_2416 Bright for being so overcast. The most optimistic prediction I could find for today is 63 degrees (low to 50) The Flower Moon is nearly gone so technically it is still a resting phase. Instead of starting beans I'll up pot peppers and eggplants, move some cucumber and zucchini soil cubes that have sprouted into pots, the same for cauliflower. Life is Good.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/30/2011, 5:23 pm

Ray had asked if he should put a hand (wing?) rail on the ramp. Jay told him they would only need it if they ate the beer drowned slugs. Apparently we will only give them fresh slugs until they turn 21.
They are having too much fun with the nuggets. The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 511819I like Stella's new name.
It isn't just potatoes that have got expensive. I think I heard Ray mumbling something about $300.00 for eggs !?! (that was just for the yard).
He is just grumbling because he thinks he should. Laughing
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 Empty May 31 and 1st Salad

Post  Lavender Debs 5/31/2011, 10:00 pm

Finally! It is a month late but it is as good as I remember. 1st 2011 salad

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 May_3111
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/31/2011, 10:24 pm

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 582897 oh yes Deb!!

that salad will taste as good as it looks!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 5/31/2011, 10:32 pm

I had my first salad today too! Doesn't it just make everything worth while when you take that first bite? hungry
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/31/2011, 10:35 pm

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 832433 congrats blackrose!

it makes me happy to see my kids eating green food too! and saying its the best they ever had! ....my son goes out everyday to check his carrots....and he ask *how come they grow so slow??* LOL....one of these days i may have to put a store bought one into the ground....just so he can pull it up The Toy Box (the return) - Page 5 410210 not sure how long he can take the waiting.....

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next