Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Toplef10planted my fall/winter garden finally! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

planted my fall/winter garden finally! I22gcj10planted my fall/winter garden finally! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Toplef10planted my fall/winter garden finally! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

planted my fall/winter garden finally! I22gcj10planted my fall/winter garden finally! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Today at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Today at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 11:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

planted my fall/winter garden finally!

+9
graficow
ander217
Megan
Chopper
ribarr4
AZDYJ2K
Garden Angel
acara
duhh
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty planted my fall/winter garden finally!

Post  duhh 10/4/2010, 2:45 am

Planted it last week actually, but everything has already sprouted! I transplanted tomatoes, Peppers, and onions. From seed I planted, squash, colorful carrots, colorful beets, spinach, lots of let. swiss chard, snap peas and green onions. Some of everything has come up already! I will credit the 100+ temps for that. This week should be nice though it will only be in the 90's! woohoo. wish me luck. My dogs ate my Spring garden, but I think I have that problem taken care of this time!

Anyone else giving the fall garden a try? I can't wait to eat a salad from my own garden!

I also found some heirloom tomatoes, but don't know how well they do in this area. Has anyone grown any here? which ones do you like? I found: German Johnson, Black russian prince, my stripey and a red beefstake.
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty Re: planted my fall/winter garden finally!

Post  acara 10/4/2010, 5:55 am

duhh wrote:I also found some heirloom tomatoes, but don't know how well they do in this area. Has anyone grown any here? which ones do you like? I found: German Johnson, Black russian prince, my stripey and a red beefstake.

I've got the Stripey an Beefstake going down here in zone 9a.

I've noticed them doing a lot better (along with the peppers) once the temps drop below 90 during the day.

We had our first "cold" this morning ..... 57 when I walked out the door this morning (Brrr ...LOL). Historically this is when my tomatoes do best (60 low to 85 high) .... so hopefully you will have some good tomato weather coming soon also.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty Re: planted my fall/winter garden finally!

Post  Garden Angel 10/4/2010, 6:26 pm

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear you are doing so well , we have a lettuce garden as well, good luck with yours, watch out for those aphids !
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 10/5/2010, 1:28 am

Yes, I just started my fall garden. I planted some broc, cauliflower and bok choy. I planted them on Saturday and caught that little rain storm we had.

I also plan to plant some lettuce, carrots and spinach. I've been looking forward to the fall planting season here to get some lettuce and other greens.

I have some sweet corn still growing and a (single) watermelon. Waiting to harvest those and will plant the rest of my fall garden.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  ribarr4 10/5/2010, 9:36 am

I got mine in last weekend before last. I am envious at you can grow down there. We can only grow cool weather crops here in TN. Running a little late for this region, but we are growing collard, cabbage (head and oriental), carrots, turnips, arugula, beets, kohl rabi, lettuce, kale, spinach, brussle sprouts, and trying radicchio.

Do you put up cool weather protection during the winter in AZ?
ribarr4
ribarr4

Male Posts : 117

http://www.green-cityzen.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 10/15/2010, 9:32 pm

This is my first winter garden. I know a lot of people who had tomatoes all winter last year with covering them whenever there might be a frost. We will see how it goes this winter.

We had a huge hail storm last week with golf ball sized hail! Broke 2 windows at my house, but only lost 1 pepper and 2 tomatoes. I replanted some carrots and beets because my garden looked like it had been hit by tiny meteorites! I also took some pieces of one of my tomatoes that got "decapitated" and am trying to clone them. They already have some roots coming out of them! I'm excited about this because I am hoping to overwinter my tomatoes and clone more plants for myself and some friends and family in the spring.

Can't believe how nicely my peas have grown in! I will try and actually post something on my blog and put some pics up one of these days!
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 10/15/2010, 9:35 pm

AZDYJ2K wrote:

I have some sweet corn still growing and a (single) watermelon. Waiting to harvest those and will plant the rest of my fall garden.

How did your corn do? I was thinking of doing some next spring/summer. but I heard it isn't really worth the space for what you get.
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/15/2010, 11:31 pm

duhh wrote:
How did your corn do? I was thinking of doing some next spring/summer. but I heard it isn't really worth the space for what you get.

I beg to differ there, but it depends on your space. Like vine ripened tomatoes, corn is the one thing fresh that does not compare to store bought. Although hybrids have been developed to retain sweetness, as soon as the corn is picked that sweetness starts turning to starch so the earlier you eat it from picking the better. I vote you can't afford not to have corn! LOL.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/16/2010, 12:29 am

I guess I'll chime in on corn here. In my opinion, it depends on how much space you want to chance on it. My corn crop completely failed, and I lost a lot of space to it if you want to look at it as percentage squares to total SFG. My garden this year was relatively small, so even had the corn done well, at best we'd have had only a few meals from it. I tried anyway, as homegrown heirloom corn just can't be beat. I lost, but I'm not sorry I tried. If you are a corn lover, it may be worth investing the space.

Glad to hear about all your fall gardens that are coming in!

flower
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 10/16/2010, 6:45 am

duhh wrote:
AZDYJ2K wrote:

I'm on vacation right now and have not picked any yet. I lost some seedlings to birds picking around in them and pulling them up. I think they did it because some of the corn had corn borers and I figure that the birds were picking at the larvae. I probably have about 8 stalks left and about as many ears of corn. I'll give you a follow up report when I get home and hopefully some will be ripe.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Back to top Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty German Johnson

Post  ander217 10/16/2010, 7:55 am

My daughter has a SFG in Utah and she is considered high desert in her region. She had good luck with German Johnson tomatoes. I was there last week and they were de-lish - very meaty with few seeds.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 10/16/2010, 4:52 pm

Thanks for all the info! I will do some corn next year when I expand my garden I have 1 8x4 and a 2 1/2 x 13 right now. In Feb. it will be about double that. I can't wait
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 10/24/2010, 4:23 am

Below is a picture of the only ear I have picked that is edible. Pretty sad little guy. Part of the other side of this ear was not pollinated and this is only the bottom half of it as the top part was not pollinated either. All the other ears were either left on too long, deformed, eaten up by ants, were not pollinated or a combination. I only devoted 2/3 of a 3x3 box to the corn. The one you see below was tasty, however, not the best sweet corn I have had. I will try again in the spring and make sure to plant more and then cull. I also think I need to supplement with nitrogen more.

Overall it was a fun experience to see the corn shoot up quickly and to have the silks appear along with the tassles.

Even if all my stalks had produced it probably is not worth it for me since I only have a 4x4 and 3x3 at this time. Good luck to you on your corn.

planted my fall/winter garden finally! 20101011
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 11/5/2010, 3:08 am

I posted an up date of my garden on my blog with a few pics. It's still trying to grow! I haven't killed it yet.

duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty FALL/WINTER GARDEN

Post  graficow 11/5/2010, 6:24 am

Oh Duhh, your blog was wonderful.
Enjoyed your garden and your family
in their halloween costumes.

Bread is on my list for today.
Thanx so much and good luck in your garden Smile
graficow
graficow

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 11/5/2010, 1:31 pm

Go for the corn if you can afford the space. I planted mine too close & still got a great harvest of Peaches & Cream.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/peaches-cream-corn-t2850.htm?highlight=corn
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 11/6/2010, 1:55 am

Thanks graficow its something to keep me entertained! Smile

Dixie I think I'm gonna try the 3 sisters next year with beans, corn and some squash or pumpkins. should be a good time!

duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty Nov 11th pics of garden, a week late

Post  duhh 11/17/2010, 12:45 am

First time trying pictures! Crossing my fingers that it will work! These are from last week, hopefully will get this weeks up tomorrow on my day off. the weather here is still amazingly beautiful!

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Nov_1111

8x4 box on Nov 11th

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Nov_1110

jalapenos I didn't know were there. Nov 11th 2010

duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 11/17/2010, 6:45 am

cool pics!
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty more pics Nov 21st

Post  duhh 11/22/2010, 2:15 am

Out playing in the garden today. Also planted blackberries(not in sfg) and a guava tree.

8x4 box nov 21st

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Nov_2110

1st pea ever! so excited

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Nov_2210

Back bed. First toms coming in on these guys.

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Nov_2111

Vespa and Bam Bam hanging out. They have learned to stay away from the garden. The invisable fence helps too . We only have to put it on beep and vibrate, no shock, thank goodness.

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Nov_2310

Begining to get cold (haha for here!)! Hope everything survives a bit longer! Think warm! I know I am! sunny
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty lost a few to frost....

Post  duhh 12/4/2010, 1:47 am

The summer squash finally gave into the cold. I wondered how long it would last.
Didn't cover the plants in time one night when a cold front came through and lost 1 yellow pear tom, and 2 others got damaged, but I think they will come back in the spring.
Have been crazy busy at work this week. Only working a half day tomorrow, so I should be able to really get out and see all the damage the frost did. Will also take pics.
Its supposed to be 80 here on Sunday, so plants should perk back up!Can't believe how warm it is still, but I'l take it for now!
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty pic from 12/4/2010 after some frost damage

Post  duhh 12/9/2010, 2:42 am

Finally found time to post some picks of the garden. these are from Dec 4th.

The back bed is fine. I think the heat from the wall saved it
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Dec_4_11

yellow pear tom. The top didn't do well, but still has some toms on it and the bottom looks like it will pull through.
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Dec4_410

8x4 squash trying to make a come back. took out 1 tom plant. left 3 damaged ones in. peas in back are doing great.
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Dec_4_10

My first beet! It was good. Should have left in just a little longer. this pic is actually from 12/8/2010
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Dec_2010
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

planted my fall/winter garden finally! Empty Dec 19th 2010 update

Post  duhh 12/19/2010, 4:22 pm

Looking at having a 75 deg Christmas! The garden is loving it!

So far have been able to harvest 2 beets, lettuce, a handful of jalapenos, and about 20 sugar snap peas!

Had some cold come through around Thanksgiving and 3 yellow pear plants were damaged. Have taken out 1 plant and another will be taken out this week. Also finally pulled the summer squash. It was trying to come back, but was shading the carrots to much.

Back bed looking good!
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Gardea10

8X4 still hanging in there! peas are doing good. Hubby should have made the trellis out of elec conduit, but hey it's working!. Carrots are developing.
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Garden77

Thse pepper plants are so tiny, but the peppers aren't! (golden bell)
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Garden79

Heirlooms. Black russian prince. Can't wait to see how these turn out!
planted my fall/winter garden finally! Garden78
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 12/19/2010, 5:12 pm

I think in AZ winter may be better than summer. I am jealous that you have peppers and tomatoes. My peppers finally succumbed to frost but the spring guys are doing well.

Your garden looks great. I notice you do not have grids? I had some in most of my boxes but not all. I n the end I like having them better than not because if a SF empties it is easier to bee that and plant the next thing. FWIW.

Look forward to seeing when your tomatoes ripen.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 12/19/2010, 10:31 pm

I have been meaning to figure out grids, but have been lazy. The 8x4 would be easy to do, I should be able to staple some twine I have laying around. The back bed would need something else, and I just haven't figured it out. It is only 2 ft 8 inches wide. When I put in my main planting I draw the grid in the dirt. After that I mainly just eyeball it. I need to get a grid in because it's not a sfg without the grid Smile
duhh
duhh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next