Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW Fall and Winter Garden Toplef10PNW Fall and Winter Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW Fall and Winter Garden I22gcj10PNW Fall and Winter Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW Fall and Winter Garden Toplef10PNW Fall and Winter Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW Fall and Winter Garden I22gcj10PNW Fall and Winter Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW Fall and Winter Garden

4 posters

Go down

PNW Fall and Winter Garden Empty PNW Fall and Winter Garden

Post  happycamper 11/27/2011, 2:51 am

I pulled up all of the remaining tomato plants today resulting in a few pear tomatoes for me and 8 very happy chickens snacking around my feet. Summer is over but the garden is not done yet!
I uncovered a few of the beds to water and found this little beauty. I like parsnips but they seem to be hard to germinate at times. It measured 12 inches to the tip of the root.
PNW Fall and Winter Garden Parsni10
The chard, kale, spinach, arugula, lettuce, parsley, rutabaga, turnips, beets and radishes are all looking good. Had spinach-arugula salad with dinner tonight and I am hoping that everything will continue to survive throughout winter.
Anyone else in the PNW still having success in the garden?
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

PNW Fall and Winter Garden Empty Re: PNW Fall and Winter Garden

Post  Lavender Debs 11/27/2011, 9:34 am

Thanks for asking. On a whim I pulled out my first every celeric for a soup I was making. YUM-O! I will be putting in a whole lot more of this next year.

Deborah....all out of turkey
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 11/27/2011, 12:30 pm

Oh look - someone in the PNW forum that's actually near me! Very Happy Hi happycamper!

So you took advantage of the dry day yesterday! Me too! I've watched out my window daily and the peas had gotten pretty gnarly looking. They kept putting out new blooms, but the wind and rain had knocked them all loose from the trellis and they were a mess. I tore them all out, and in spite of all the blooms I'd seen over the last few weeks, I didn't find any pea pods. My spinach has sat there for weeks and weeks without producing. I don't really get that, since it's supposed to like cool weather. So I tore it out, even though it looked perfectly healthy. I bet there's a good chance it would have stayed just fine all winter and started producing again in the spring, but I'd rather find a different variety I guess.

I tore out most of the broccoli. (That wasn't as easy - lot of roots that didn't stay in their squares). They are all putting out copious side shoots, but so very tiny and growing so slowly. Decided it wasn't worth darting out between rain systems this winter for the tiniest handful of florets every few weeks. It got too dark to do the rest. All that I'm keeping is the cauliflower because I haven't harvested yet and I'm just curious how far they'll go. Once I get those last broccoli out, I'm putting garlic in.

You've got a lot more going in your fall garden. I have much to learn.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 11/27/2011, 3:01 pm

I'm so excited to have an answer to this one!
My 4x4 has lettuce under the cloche, growing so slowly, and one of my 4x8's is covered, and has lots of things (spinach, carrots, parsnips, beets, 8" tall Brussels sprouts) that aren't really doing anything, because I put them in too late, Mad and gai lan and peas that are producing, but slowly. Smile
I'm with gweniffer about the broccoli removal and garlic planting. My huge broccoli plants from spring are still getting tiny heads, but, so what? I'd like to get those bulbs in the ground before I eat them.
I still have some onions, carrots and beets in the ground. The bunnies were too happy about this, so I mulched with seaweed, and things look good so far.
The bamboo stakes stuck everywhere at odd angles seem to have scared the deer away. They were way too excited about the squash being gone and leaving empty space for them to roam around inside the fence. They even found the seaweed attractive! Hoofed rats with antlers.
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

PNW Fall and Winter Garden Empty PNW Fall and Winter Garden

Post  happycamper 3/5/2012, 3:18 am

It's not quite spring in the PNW and still freezing some nights but things are growing under the nearly daily heavy cloud cover.
Several items planted in late fall have really started growing. The Kale I harvested throughout winter has regained a second life and will require another batch of kale chips. The chard and arugula is ready to be harvested and we have been snacking on it when outside the past few weeks.
The peas planted in February are sprouting, lettuce sprouted, radish growing but the spinach that had sprouted was wiped out by the chickens today (lucky that the winter spinach was saved in time).
I learned a great deal from my first winter garden of 2010, corrected a few mistakes and it helped for a successful winter garden in 2011. My winter garden will quickly be transitioned into a spring 2012 garden.
I live in zone 8 and would like to tell anyone in the area that it is worth the investment of two 10 foot 3/4' schedule 40 PVC pipes and a roll of plastic (mine is cloudy and not clear) to cover a 4'x4' as an experiment in winter gardening in the PNW.
I am getting ready for spring, here is a picture of 6 endive and my first round of tomato babies.
Image hosted by servimg.com
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/5/2012, 11:04 am

How inspiring! So the peas that have sprouted are under cover then? I should be seeing pea sprouts this week if they take. Hope so, since I really did love the peas last fall.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down