Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square Foot Symposiums Toplef10Square Foot Symposiums 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square Foot Symposiums I22gcj10Square Foot Symposiums 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square Foot Symposiums Toplef10Square Foot Symposiums 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square Foot Symposiums I22gcj10Square Foot Symposiums 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Square Foot Symposiums

+6
camprn
SFGHQSTAFF
pattipan
Wyldflower
trustinhart
SQFTBIX
10 posters

Go down

Square Foot Symposiums Empty Square Foot Symposiums

Post  SQFTBIX 7/26/2010, 10:22 am

Would really like to see a Teachers' Certification symposium on the east coast. Travelling to Utah is a bit of a stretch from the east coast. I am sure there is demand regionally that could be tapped into by holding symposiums locally. Given the economy, I bet there would be many hotels eager and anxious for the business. Just my guess. I have many outlets that would love to see demonstrations put on to attract new customers. Just my 2 cents.
SQFTBIX

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Symposiums Empty RE: Easst coast Certification class

Post  trustinhart 7/26/2010, 10:28 pm

I would definetly attend a right coast event. I'm planning on going to Utah in September, but I sure would like to stay closer to home. That's my vote.
trustinhart
trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Symposiums Empty Symposium

Post  SQFTBIX 7/27/2010, 3:01 pm

Was thinking seriously about Utah but just don't know. Seems a stretch but then again, I went to Italy last year so I don't know why Utah is such a big deal for me. Who knows.
SQFTBIX

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Symposiums Empty Re: Square Foot Symposiums

Post  Wyldflower 7/27/2010, 3:53 pm

There was a symposium in Vermont this past April.

I would imagine there will be occasional symposiums on the east coast. Keep an eye on the main page, and on the calendar, to see "Where's Mel" and when other events are planned.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 526

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 7/27/2010, 4:37 pm

I'd like to see one in Virginia...possibly somewhere in the Shenandoah Valley...perhaps Winchester or Harrisonburg?

Pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Symposiums Empty Symposium

Post  SQFTBIX 7/29/2010, 9:38 am

Well, I have been doing Square Footing as I call it for well over 15-20 years. About the time Mel had a show on TV. People ask me all the time about my garden and I tell them all about it. Just thought that getting the certification would be a first step towards improving my skills and using my knowledge. Can't really commit to Utah as it just seems a little too steep $ wise at this time with the economy. Guess I will wait to see if they have one on the east coast. Guaranteed I would be there.
SQFTBIX

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Symposiums Empty 1st SFG symposium in the east coast!

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/4/2011, 12:07 pm

You wanted it and it's here. We have our first Square Foot Gardening 3 day symposium in the east coast. Victoria and myself will come teach at this symposium. For all of you who wanted to get certified and expand your abilities(maybe make some money with your hobby, this is your chance!)
It will be held at the University of South Carolina on April 28-May 2nd. You can get more information on the link below

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/product/3-day-sfg-symposium-south-carolina-apr-28-30th

Last edited by SquareFoot on 4/4/2011, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/4/2011, 2:48 pm

clap okay
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/5/2011, 10:27 am

Great news for the east coast! Any chance for a midwest symposium some day? good job!
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/5/2011, 10:42 am

MasonGarden wrote:Great news for the east coast! Any chance for a midwest symposium some day? good job!

Actually, the reason we are doing this one here in the east coast is because one of our intrepid SFG'ers, looked at these posts, and said to themselves:" I want a symposium here!" He contacted a local university, got them to sponsor it, called us and said, "let's have one here". We said, "sure!" that is how quickly it happened. Remember, if you guys want us to go to where you guys are at, talk to your local nursery, garden center, ag-agent, master gardeners, university and get them to sponsor one. I travel all over the country! It does not even have to be a 3 day symposium, if you want us for a one day class or a workshop, we can do it!
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/5/2011, 10:46 am

That's all it takes? I'm on it! salute
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/5/2011, 12:40 pm

People have been asking about what it takes to host a 3 day symposium. Here are the basic Requirements.

A host needs to do the following:
Find a hotel that would give us a block of rooms at a good price: $69-89/night.
It would be good if the rooms came with a continental breakfast.
Also need a couple of conference rooms - if conference rooms were available at the hotel, that would be ideal.
If the conference rooms were free because of the block of rooms, that would be a plus.
Some hotels offer a couple of free rooms based on how many are booked. Some universities will allow us to use university housing for free.
Need a catered lunch each day of the symposium (cost is an issue; must be economical)
Need an actual Square Foot Garden to visit - if in a large enough area to do a workshop, so much the better.

The host would need to check the conference rooms to be sure there are enough seats, a podium, a projector for Power Points, microphone, etc.
We would make use of several teachers from the area who would be paid $100 for helping teach at the symposium.

TRAVEL EXPENSES: All parties, including teachers and lecturers, host as well as students, will make their own schedule and payment for all travel and accommodation expenses. A food allowance will be collected by the host from those wanting meals with a schedule of $5, $10, $15 for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if meals are taken outside at local restaurants, each individual will take care of their own meals.

BOOK SALES: The SFGF requests a book table and one or two of your volunteers to help sell our books, videos and other products at the lecture location during the event dates. In order to simplify accounting, buyers should make their checks and credit cards out to the hosting organization, which may also collect cash, and will keep an accurate accounting of all sales. At the end, they can deposit all of these monies in their own account, and write one check to the SFGF. In order to help cover costs, they may deduct 5% from the check totals and the credit card totals. All proceeds from the book table sales, except for the 5% just mentioned, should be sent to the SFGF.

REGISTRATION: All student registrations will be made through the SFGF website, who will also collect the class tuition fee, and all student contact information will be kept in a chart and forwarded to the host coordinator periodically before the event. The host will then make and distribute name tags, lesson plans, and all handout copies and information prepared from masters given to them by the SFGF. They may also take registration information and monies at the beginning of the event from late comer’s, then passing those on to the SFGF at the conclusion.

CLASSROOM: The host organization will seek out and provide classroom space sufficient for the size of the anticipated class, including all equipment necessary for video and PowerPoint presentations. The instructors and teachers will bring with them their own CDs, DVDs, and PowerPoint to be used in the host equipment, which should include computer, projector, screen, and someone experienced and expert in using that equipment. Sound equipment should also be provided. Mel will need a wireless microphone and there should also be a podium provided with hand held microphone in the lecture room. We usually have from 20 to 30 people (sometimes up to 50) and the room needs to be large enough for tables and chairs.

FIELD TRIP: A field trip to an actual Square Foot Garden should be included. The best way for teachers to understand and teach is to get their hands dirty in an actual SFG.

WORKSHOP: If a workshop is included in the presentation, the SFGF will provide the host with a list of materials and money for them to be purchased by the host. If the host would like to have a demonstration garden that will be left and become their property, they should indicate here________ and decide what type and size they would like. The SFGF will provide a list of materials for that display, and those can be acquired with the host funds when they do the shopping, and the students will put that together as part of their workshop and it will remain as the property of the host.

OVERNIGHT ACCOMMODATIONS: The host team will search out and interview local hotels that would be appropriate in price and location for the incoming class students, and hopefully negotiate a special price so every student can stay in the same place.. It’s desirable to find a hotel that has a complementary breakfast and quite often, if they have bookings of 10 or more rooms, they will throw in a classroom or conference room at no charge. Also, the location should be picked so that it is easy to get to from the airport and other driving locations. If the host is using classrooms that they already have in their operation, then transportation should be provided between hotel and classrooms each day. With 20+ students and several people from the Foundation, a minimum of 10 rooms is easily doable.

REMEMBER: The Square Foot Gardening Foundation is a non-profit foundation. That means that at the very minimum, the Foundation MUST break even. Even better would be the situation where the Foundation and the Host Organization make some money. This year, since Mel is on Sabbatical, he will probably not be attending very many of these events.

A typical class is between 20-30 future teachers. As long as we have that, we should be able to break even, Barely. So it's better if we could get local organizations to help with either food, or lodging, etc.

Remember that this class is to train future teachers, NOT teach Square Foot Gardening.We expect every participant to already understand the basic concepts of SFG already.

Items that are needed for the symposium includes things like:
tables,folders, order forms, a screen and laptop to show videos and presentations, supplies of Mel's mix ingredients(for workshop) and things like that.

The topics that we cover in the symposium include:
*How to teach SFG
*Humanitarian efforts
*How to turn your hobby into a money making business
*Networking
*Cutting edge stuff we are working on
etc...

Let me know if you guys have any other questions!
Alan Silva

Last edited by SquareFoot on 4/5/2011, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 4/5/2011, 12:51 pm

Hey Square Foot....I made this a sticky!

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2261

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/5/2011, 12:54 pm

middlemamma wrote:Hey Square Foot....I made this a sticky!

Jennie
Thanks Jennie,

For those of you who want us to come down for a one day class or workshop, it's a lot easier. Just find a location (usually finding a nursery or university that will allow host it), market it and get enough people in to cover our costs and break even for our airfare and travel costs. We don't have to make money, but we need to break even. Very Happy
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/5/2011, 1:00 pm

Square Foot,

Are the logistical arrangements for a one-day class or workshop essentially the same as what you have outlined above?
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/5/2011, 1:32 pm

MasonGarden wrote:Square Foot,

Are the logistical arrangements for a one-day class or workshop essentially the same as what you have outlined above?

Good question,

We will need the basic supplies only. Namely:
1. Somewhere to teach
2. Supplies to teach with:
a. classroom supplies: projector, laptop for presentations, whiteboard, etc
b. If a workshop is wanted, we'll need the basics: Mel's mix components, boxes, etc.

If would also save us some money if we could have someone pick us up at the airport and drop us off (so we don't have to incur taxis or the like). Basically, think of what you would need to a class about anything. The more people you could have at the event, the less they would have to pay each to cover our costs. If a nursery or university wants to sponsor the event, that would help even more. Victoria and myself would love to teach at your events! Hope that answers your questions! I love to travel and teach, so please have us at your events. Again, we don't need to make money, but we do need to break even, (although any money we make goes toward our education and outreach programs) Hope that helps! Alan
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/5/2011, 2:19 pm

Many thanks, SquareFoot! I would love to attend a session and am willing to put effort into seeing what we can do to possibly set up an event in the Cincinnati-area for some time in the future. Stay tuned!
thanks

Renee

MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/5/2011, 7:51 pm

I am posting additional discussion between SquareFoot and I on the topic of local one-day classes/workshops in case others are interested:

- What are the beginning and ending times for a one-day class?
Day classes usually consist of a 1 to 1.5 hour presentation. They can be anytime during the day.

- What are the beginning and ending times for a workshop? Is this an add-on for a one-day class or a separate module altogether?
Workshops are usually about an hour or so and they can be independent but are usually an add on to the presentation.

- What are the typical registration fees for a class and/or workshop?
There is not typical registration fee. Some of our teachers have charged between $5 to $20 per person to attend the class or workshop or both. The more people that come, the less you have to charge to cover our cost of being there. We use the registration fees to pay our costs and hopefully give us some money for some of the many projects we've always got going on.

- You don't mention a set-up book sales for a one-day class or workshop, so do you skip that and only have sales available for symposiums?
No, we can sell books at the class too. Since Mel is on Sabbatical, it's harder to get him so sign books for those events, but we still sell them.

- Do you typically fly in & out for a one-day class/workshop ,and do not need to stay at a hotel?
Yes, if it's a one day class, we usually fly in during the morning, teach the class, mingle with our great gardeners and fly home later in the day, so we don't have to pay for a hotel. That makes it cheaper to have us there and lower cost for the attendees.

- How soon could a session be scheduled?
3 Day symposiums, we like to have a couple of months warning to prepare. For a one day, class, usually a few weeks to a month is more than enough notice.

Square Foot Symposiums 274447
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Symposiums Empty Is anyone going?

Post  buttaflie143 4/28/2011, 11:34 pm

I so wish I could have gone to this. It is so close. As usual I feel like I'm a day late and a dollar short. Square Foot Symposiums 675916
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/29/2011, 2:34 pm

SQFT:

Would you like to help me host a 3-day teacher certification symposium? I'd like to hold it in the BWI area in August (I think we were talking about the 18th-20th).

As far as 1-day classes, if anyone is in the Baltimore area, PM me for my web site and you can see what we offer so you can get some ideas. : )

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Square Foot Symposiums WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2053

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/29/2011, 3:47 pm

ksroman wrote:SQFT:

Would you like to help me host a 3-day teacher certification symposium? I'd like to hold it in the BWI area in August (I think we were talking about the 18th-20th).

As far as 1-day classes, if anyone is in the Baltimore area, PM me for my web site and you can see what we offer so you can get some ideas. : )

Kim

I'll be there. Tons of family in Rockville, Clarksburg, and Frederick!!!!!
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/29/2011, 4:07 pm

FABULOUS!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Square Foot Symposiums WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2053

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum