Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:59 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 4:24 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 5/12/2024, 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere 5/12/2024, 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: May 2020

+3
CitizenKate
OhioGardener
Scorpio Rising
7 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: N&C Midwest: May 2020

Post  CitizenKate 5/9/2020, 9:04 pm

Wow, a spinach that keeps going all summer??? I'm going to have to try some next year.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/10/2020, 10:37 am

I planted some perpetual spinach this year at the recommendation of OG, I believe it is a type of Swiss chard that has spinach-like flavor is much less rib.  I am excited to have it!  

Some of my sunflowers are germinating, so into the light they go!  I might put them out if I get a smidge of sun, but hit and miss on this Mother’s Day!  

Today I am going to plant 4 Yukon Gold, so dug out the grid to see where I put them!  

We had 1 night with a freeze, Friday into Saturday.  Last night just cold.  It has to lift it’s grip at some point!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8735

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/10/2020, 3:24 pm

Put up the first level of the tomato cages today to get ready for transplanting the tomatoes the end of this week.

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 Tomato45

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4544

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/10/2020, 3:31 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Put up the first level of the tomato cages today to get ready for transplanting the tomatoes the end of this week.

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 Tomato45

Living in the south, I put my the 2nd layer of cages up quite a while back and I am now wondering how soon I will have to put the final level.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/10/2020, 3:35 pm

yolos wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:Put up the first level of the tomato cages today to get ready for transplanting the tomatoes the end of this week.

Living in the south, I put my the 2nd layer of cages up quite a while back and I am now wondering how soon I will have to put the final level.

Yeah, I remember those days when we lived near Atlanta for a number of years. Now, we're just waiting for the last frost date to pass....

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/10/2020, 8:46 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I planted some perpetual spinach this year at the recommendation of OG, I believe it is a type of Swiss chard that has spinach-like flavor is much less rib.  I am excited to have it!
I stopped growing spinach because it had such a short growing season. This could be a game changer.

Scorpio Rising wrote:
We had 1 night with a freeze, Friday into Saturday.  Last night just cold.  It has to lift it’s grip at some point!
I don't know about Ohio, but in Kansas, as of last Thursday night, we were expecting cold nights on Friday and Saturday nights (not quite freezing, but close), then starting Sunday night (tonight), a warming trend. On Friday, they forecast another cold night Sunday night, with warming to start Monday night. Now they're forecasting another cold night for Monday night. Put the plastic on, take it off, put it on, take it off, put it on...  sheesh.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/10/2020, 8:58 pm

CitizenKate wrote:I don't know about Ohio, but in Kansas, as of last Thursday night, we were expecting cold nights on Friday and Saturday nights (not quite freezing, but close), then starting Sunday night (tonight), a warming trend. On Friday, they forecast another cold night Sunday night, with warming to start Monday night. Now they're forecasting another cold night for Monday night. Put the plastic on, take it off, put it on, take it off, put it on...  sheesh.

Here in SW Ohio the lows will be in the mid-30's through Tuesday night, and then we go back into the seasonal temperatures of lows in the mid-50's to 60's. May 10th is our frost free date, but we won't put out any sensitive plants until the 15th.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/11/2020, 5:48 am

We are usually 3 days behind you, so if you are warming, it’s on our way! I get sick of carrying things in and out, in and out, repeat!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/13/2020, 1:34 am

We're finally starting to warm up here in KS, as of this afternoon. I've left the plants uncovered, except for the basil. We've got thunderstorms in the forecast for tomorrow, so we'll be warmer and wetter for Wednesday.

Coming your way, Ohio!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/13/2020, 7:33 am

CitizenKate wrote:We're finally starting to warm up here in KS, as of this afternoon.  I've left the plants uncovered, except for the basil. We've got thunderstorms in the forecast for tomorrow, so we'll be warmer and wetter for Wednesday.

Coming your way, Ohio!
I’m ready for warmer, for sure!  Today is my day to mow it sounds like though.  I think I will plant some things out this weekend, a couple of my tomatoes are big enough.  Everything else is too little, but at least I can leave them outside after the deluge?  My trays don’t have drainage holes!  

I left everything open last night, it’s all cold tolerant stuff.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/15/2020, 6:17 pm

Transplanted the tomatoes into the beds today, and got it all done before the rains came and drove me inside.  Planted 2 each of Sun Gold, Red Brandywine, Yellow Brandywine, and Golden Delicious.  Also planted one token Rutgers. The plants were outgrowing their pots, and had to get into the ground.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/15/2020, 6:30 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Transplanted the tomatoes into the beds today, and got it all done before the rains came and drove me inside.  Planted 2 each of Sun Gold, Red Brandywine, Yellow Brandywine, and Golden Delicious.  Also planted one token Rutgers. The plants were outgrowing their pots, and had to get into the ground.
I get that!  I only have a couple that are large enough to put out.  My peppers and most of my tomatoes are only a few inches tall so will wait and let them be outside!  

Will start my super hotties (squash, melons, cukes) this weekend on heating pads under lights.  

Rainy but warmish!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/15/2020, 11:20 pm

My tomatoes and basil (which I transplanted out 2 weekends ago) kinda shut down during that cold spell. The last two days have been deliciously warm, with just-right amounts of rain, and now the tomatoes are all starting to show new growth and setting fruit. The peppers are still being a little shy, but one of my Jalapenos opened a new blossom today, so I'm optimistic they're about to take off, too.

I've now got squashes and green beans coming up in seed trays. I decided to start the green beans inside this year, because the last time I grew them, pill bugs came out and ate all the tender leaves off the sprouts just as they emerged from the growing mix. I've never seen such carnage in my garden. I know they aren't known for transplanting well, but I don't think I'm going to have green beans any other way.

I haven't grown squash for several years, but I saw a neat way of growing them vertically, and learned some new tricks from the Homegrown Food Summit that ran last week to conquer the pests, so I'm ready to give them another go.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/16/2020, 8:12 am

What kind of squash are you growing, CK?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/16/2020, 8:31 am

CitizenKate wrote:My tomatoes and basil (which I transplanted out 2 weekends ago) kinda shut down during that cold spell. The last two days have been deliciously warm, with just-right amounts of rain, and now the tomatoes are all starting to show new growth and setting fruit.  The peppers are still being a little shy, but one of my Jalapenos opened a new blossom today, so I'm optimistic they're about to take off, too.

I've now got squashes and green beans coming up in seed trays. I decided to start the green beans inside this year, because the last time I grew them, pill bugs came out and ate all the tender leaves off the sprouts just as they emerged from the growing mix. I've never seen such carnage in my garden. I know they aren't known for transplanting well, but I don't think I'm going to have green beans any other way.

I haven't grown squash for several years, but I saw a neat way of growing them vertically, and learned some new tricks from the Homegrown Food Summit that ran last week to conquer the pests, so I'm ready to give them another go.

I always pinch off the early blooms from transplants for the first several weeks so that the plant spends its energy growing strong roots and plants instead of setting fruit. Peppers don't like temperatures below 50°F, and it will stunt their growth for a while.

I have not had a problem with sowbugs eating the green beans, but last year I had to put wire cages over the beans until they fully developed their true leaves. The birds would go after the bean halves that were still on the first leaves, and picked the top of the plant off getting the beans. I couldn't it when I saw the birds doing that. This year they were eating the beet seedlings, and I had to cover them, too!

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/16/2020, 11:15 am

I have never done that pinching thing, OG but it makes sense!  I had the same thing happen with the dumb birds and my germinating beans!  

I am going to try Dragon Tongue beans this year, new one for me.  We will see!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/16/2020, 5:21 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:What kind of squash are you growing, CK?
This year, I've got 2 each of Black Beauty zucchini and Butter Dish yellow squash. I can't wait to see how it works out growing them on stakes. If they do well, we may have enough squash to store away for the rest of the year. I'm already getting ready for all kinds of preservation projects.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/16/2020, 5:34 pm

Nice!  I just got in from weeding and enriching my 4x4 to get it ready for planting.  I also planted 7 celery plants out.  

Harvested and ate (yum!) French Breakfast radishes, a few remaining Sora, and the Cooks Mix which are mostly Easter Egg.  Also got my first taste of the Tokyo Cross turnips!  So crunchy and yummo, very radishey.  All with Marzetti Dill Veggie dip—the BEST!  

My maters etc. need a minute...so they are still hardening off....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/16/2020, 5:36 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
I always pinch off the early blooms from transplants for the first several weeks so that the plant spends its energy growing strong roots and plants instead of setting fruit. Peppers don't like temperatures below 50°F, and it will stunt their growth for a while.

I have not had a problem with sowbugs eating the green beans, but last year I had to put wire cages over the beans until they fully developed their true leaves. The birds would go after the bean halves that were still on the first leaves, and picked the top of the plant off getting the beans. I couldn't it when I saw the birds doing that. This year they were eating the beet seedlings, and I had to cover them, too!
I've done the blossom pinching some years, and some years not. Maybe it just affects something in the plant I can't actually observe, but I didn't notice much advantage of pinching versus not pinching.

Thanks for the heads-up about the birds, that didn't happen when I grew beans before, but it'd just be my luck that they decide to start doing it in my garden this year. I have cages to cover my beds, but since I've got stakes in the same bed where my green beans will be, can't use one of my cages, so I'll have to find some other way to cover them for a while.

I did know that peppers (not to mention tomatoes and basil) don't like temperatures below 50, but at the time I put them in, it was the last week of April (we usually have had our last frost by around then), and there was no cold weather in the forecast for the then-foreseeable future. But that happens, sometimes. They survived, though, and now they're all really starting to take off.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/16/2020, 5:55 pm

Some photos from the garden today...

Peppers, indeterminate tomatoes, and basil. I made a "non-regulation" grid for my indeterminates. The two years I planted them one to a square foot, there were times when it was just too crowded to get into the plants with treatments or pruning, so I decided to give them just a little more space. Still one to "a square" but having divided the 4'x4' bed into thirds, the squares are a little bigger.

Both beds are still waiting for more plants to put in. I've got 3 more basil plants to go in with the tomatoes, and more Tabasco peppers that aren't quite ready to be transplanted yet.

The black/yellow tubs in the background are my compost bins.
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 20051610

The lettuce, onion, and broccoli bed is the prettiest thing I've got in the garden this week. You can see I've still got some cleaning up to do in the surrounding landscape, and the crab grass and weeds that were allowed to grow are trying to come back, but so far, I'm gaining on them. And I have yet to pick up a load of new wood chips to put down all around the beds.
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 20051611

Today's lettuce harvest - all Buttercrunch - enough to fill a 5.0L tub.
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 - Page 2 20200510
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/16/2020, 6:03 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice!  I just got in from weeding and enriching my 4x4 to get it ready for planting.  I also planted 7 celery plants out.  

Harvested and ate (yum!) French Breakfast radishes, a few remaining Sora, and the Cooks Mix which are mostly Easter Egg.  Also got my first taste of the Tokyo Cross turnips!  So crunchy and yummo, very radishey.  All with Marzetti Dill Veggie dip—the BEST!  
Tasty!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/16/2020, 7:34 pm

Transplanted the Basil and Sweet Alyssum into the bed today. It will be another week or two before the peppers will be ready for transplanting.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/17/2020, 9:54 am

Great pictures, CK!  I have had the same experience with indeterminate tomatoes; I have old re-purposed window boxes that serve as my original “SFG”.  They are 1 1/2 feet deep, various lengths, and probably 16 inches deep or so.  They are rotting in place but still very functional!  That is where I put my tomatoes, because of the added space.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/19/2020, 6:13 pm

Everything that’s not in the beds is inside, otherwise they would drown!  Started melons, cukes, ground cherries, squashes Sunday, on the pad under lights as I type!  

My grass will be bale-able!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/21/2020, 12:10 am

So I take it you're getting some rain this week?

I've got squashes and green beans almost ready to go out as soon as they have another set of leaves.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next