Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  May 2020 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  May 2020 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  May 2020 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  May 2020 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: May 2020

+3
CitizenKate
OhioGardener
Scorpio Rising
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Empty N&C Midwest: May 2020

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/1/2020, 9:22 am

Happy May, everyone!  Dreary and cool here, but a warm-up is promising for the weekend.  

Will get some pictures on here today, cold frame looking pretty!  Had to re-start some lettuces, had not good germination, went through seeds, some was old.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Empty Re: N&C Midwest: May 2020

Post  OhioGardener 5/1/2020, 7:05 pm

Can't believe it is May already!  Where is time going, and when will I catch up with it?

All of my beds are now finished with top dressing of compost, and the trellises are back in place for growing the cucumbers, squash, and pole beans. Everything is ready for whenever the weather settles down enough to put the transplants out. Not much to do now until after the last frost date, around the 10th of May.

The beds are topped with compost, and ready for planting. The sections with the small white fence around them are planted with carrots, beets, radishes, lettuce, kale, chard, and spinach.
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Main_b11

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Back_b10

The cattle panel pieces are back in place for trellises
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Bed_tr10

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Bed_tr11

The Kale, Chard, and Spinach is recovering from the hard freeze it had on April 22nd - the latest we've ever had a freeze below 25°F.
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Kale__10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4520

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/1/2020, 9:53 pm

Nice!  

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/1af51c10.jpg

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 9e4a7c10

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/c846de10.jpg

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 De3bdb10

My cold frame has radishes, turnips, Bok Choi, Swiss chard, spinach, broccoli and used to have cabbages but a critter ate them....

Then I picked some radishes; French Breakfast, Easter Egg, and one Sora!  YUM!

Peas are up, just after being re-planted after being eaten by something...and a couple lettuces in the round bed.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 5/1/2020, 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Tried something different...forgot spinach...)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/1/2020, 10:54 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Can't believe it is May already!  Where is time going, and when will I catch up with it?

All of my beds are now finished with top dressing of compost, and the trellises are back in place for growing the cucumbers, squash, and pole beans. Everything is ready for whenever the weather settles down enough to put the transplants out. Not much to do now until after the last frost date, around the 10th of May.
OG, I admit I'm a little jealous of how much space you have for gardening. Your beds look great.

Last edited by CitizenKate on 5/1/2020, 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/1/2020, 10:59 pm

Our last frost date here in NE KS is right about now. I was able to get my bushy tomatoes in a little ahead of schedule. They're just kinda sitting there for now, but they should start to take off soon. We've got fabulous spring weather throughout the weekend, so all my indeterminates go into their bed tomorrow morning, with some basil, this time. The aroma from the basil is intoxicating. I'll post photos when they're in.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/1/2020, 11:06 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice!  

... ...

My cold frame has radishes, turnips, Bok Choi, Swiss chard, spinach, broccoli and used to have cabbages but a critter ate them....

Peas are up, just after being re-planted after being eaten by something...and a couple lettuces in the round bed.
Your early crops look awesome, SR! Beautiful radishes.

What do you think ate your cabbages?
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/2/2020, 8:18 am

CitizenKate wrote:OG, I admit I'm a little jealous of how much space you have for gardening. Your beds look great.

Thanks! Yes, we kept 5 acres when we retired from raising cattle, so there is plenty of room to garden and landscape. And, there is more than enough work....

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/2/2020, 10:13 am

CitizenKate wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice!  

... ...

Your early crops look awesome, SR! Beautiful radishes.

What do you think ate your cabbages?
I think it was squirrels...something had dug in there and apparently didn’t like the radishes or turnips!  The cabbages had literally not grown, just tiny things.  I’m gonna buy some plants today if I can find some.  I like cabbage (unlike it’s cousin, kale...)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/2/2020, 10:31 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
I think it was squirrels...something had dug in there and apparently didn’t like the radishes or turnips!  The cabbages had literally not grown, just tiny things.  I’m gonna buy some plants today if I can find some.  I like cabbage (unlike it’s cousin, kale...)
Definitely sounds like something rodent-sized. I had no idea squirrels liked cabbage, though.

I like cabbage all kinds of ways. Raw, fermented, shredded into some ramen noodles... I never tried eating kale until I tried growing some. I know, kinda risky, huh? (I remembered afterwards wondering why I would grow something I don't normally eat.) I definitely don't care for it raw (like, chopped up into a salad), but I love it steamed or sautéed. Not growing any of either this year, though. Couldn't get the [expletive deleted] seeds to germinate. But I ended up with a lot of broccoli this year, and they're doing really well so far, so that'll be a treat.

Another big weekend out in the gardening this week. Got the rest of the tomatoes planted. Got a couple more squares in bed 3 to fill and that's 3 full houses.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/2/2020, 10:39 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
CitizenKate wrote:OG, I admit I'm a little jealous of how much space you have for gardening. Your beds look great.

Thanks! Yes, we kept 5 acres when we retired from raising cattle, so there is plenty of room to garden and landscape. And, there is more than enough work....
Good for you! I'm hoping the next place we move to will have a huge, shadeless back yard. We would have a lot more space for growing in the backyard if our neighbor to the south didn't have a wall of 50-foot trees along our south border. Mad
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/3/2020, 3:25 pm

Wow!  Lots of good stuff happening here in the MW!

Here, hurt my back getting the grass out of the strawberry bed—my fault.  Sort-of done.  Looks a lot better though!  

Planted 2 red cabbages I bought at the nursery, and 6 Romaines.  My lettuces disappointed this year—last year, rolling in it?  Also direct seeded some lettuce.  We will see; I have never done that!  

Brought my baby maters/peppers/eggplant/marigold/nasturtiums to have a bit in real sun.  Now inside.  

Celery looking good!  

Getting ready to put in a bunch of sunflowers!  Love them!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  nrstooge 5/5/2020, 8:01 am

I had to replant the peas, only 2 of 16 came up.. pesky squirrel in my patio planter.  Radishes, turnips, lettuce, kale, pak choy and tat soi are all up and growing.  Tomato, egglplant, peppers, herbs and flowers aren't out yet as our last frost is May 11.. supposed to be close tomorrow/next night.  Most of those I'll way till near end of  May before putting in the large pots.  Itching to get out on the patio and plant though.  MUST BE PATIENT.. 

Happy planting everyone!
nrstooge
nrstooge

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/5/2020, 8:27 am

We are predicted to have freezing temps this weekend, so my babies will have to wait another week to stretch their legs!  This spring has been wet and cold here!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/5/2020, 8:53 am

They are predicting a low of 28°F Friday night, and a low of 32°F for Saturday night. We never put our tender plants out until after Mother's Day, but we may wait another week this year. I like to see the nighttime temperature at 50°F before transplanting the tomatoes and peppers.  Of course, the cool weather crops of Kale, Chard, Lettuce, Radishes, Beets, Carrots, and onions are doing great in the beds with the cool, wet spring we've been having.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/5/2020, 8:02 pm

Woo-hoo! It's May 5, and I've already got tomatoes setting.

Got all the pepper plants in the beds now. 4 Tabasco, 4 Jalapeño, and a couple of bell peppers. Next morning after planting, I found one with almost all its leaves eaten off by something. Sprayed them all with neem oil, and so far no more problems.

Meanwhile, I also had a major breakthrough to get my harvested Tabasco pepper seeds to sprout, and I've now got a six-pack of my own seedlings! They're late, but I'll plant them anyway, and they might start producing later in the season. Hoping to get enough of those little peppers to fill a quart jar with pepper mash.

Finally cleaned all the weeds out of my last box, and found (on YouTube) a method for growing squashes in one square foot by tying it up to a stake as it grows. So I'm going to try it. Last time I grew squashes, I just let them grow along the ground and what a mess that turned into! One plant took up way too much of the bed. With the stake method, I'll easily have room for a couple of yellow squash plants and a couple of zucchini. And fill the rest of the bed with bush beans.

And, we're getting Buttercrunch lettuce out of the garden now, and the spring onions are almost ready to start harvesting. Life is good!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/5/2020, 8:22 pm

CitizenKate wrote:And, we're getting Buttercrunch lettuce out of the garden now, and the spring onions are almost ready to start harvesting. Life is good!

N&C Midwest:  May 2020 3170584802

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/7/2020, 8:23 pm

That all sounds good, except for our coming weather this weekend!  COLD!  But you’re right, OG, the radish harvest has been great, and some lettuces as well!  Spinach is on it’s way, as well as turnips, etc.  

Some of my asparagus is alive sending up spindly stalks!  Hope!  

One more week before tomatoes go in, peppers and eggplant might be another week.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/7/2020, 8:32 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:That all sounds good, except for our coming weather this weekend!  COLD!  But you’re right, OG, the radish harvest has been great, and some lettuces as well!  Spinach is on it’s way, as well as turnips, etc.  

One more week before tomatoes go in, peppers and eggplant might be another week.
I've been watching the forecast and biting my nails. So far, we don't have a frost warning for this weekend here, but tomorrow night, it's looking like it'll dip down into the upper-30's. A little too close for comfort. I may at least have to cover the basil I already have out, since it's even more sensitive to the cold than the tomatoes.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/7/2020, 8:43 pm

CitizenKate wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:That all sounds good, except for our coming weather this weekend!  COLD!  But you’re right, OG, the radish harvest has been great, and some lettuces as well!  Spinach is on it’s way, as well as turnips, etc.  

I've been watching the forecast and biting my nails. So far, we don't have a frost warning for this weekend here, but tomorrow night, it's looking like it'll dip down into the upper-30's. A little too close for comfort. I may at least have to cover the basil I already have out, since it's even more sensitive to the cold than the tomatoes.
I know it, Kate, I can close my cold frame; and throw a sheet over the lettuces.  The garlic and onions will be fine, so will the peas.  It just slows things down so much!  

I don’t have anything ready to go out Year as far as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc.  It’s just a few inches tall right now.  Spending the weekend binge watching with my seedlings, I guess!  

They’ve been wrong before, but you hate to make accommodations in case they are right!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/7/2020, 8:56 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
I know it, Kate, I can close my cold frame; and throw a sheet over the lettuces.  The garlic and onions will be fine, so will the peas.  It just slows things down so much!  

I don’t have anything ready to go out Year as far as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc.  It’s just a few inches tall right now.  Spending the weekend binge watching with my seedlings, I guess!  

They’ve been wrong before, but you hate to make accommodations in case they are right!
Binge watching seedlings! cyclops Yep, that's me, too. Yesterday, I spotted some nematodes in the seed starter with my tabasco seedlings, and can't decide if that's good or bad. So far, I've only seen them muching down on matter in the seed mix, not on any of the plants. But then today, I saw some strange markings on the stem of one of the plants, so I'm wondering if that's normal or if the nematodes are starting to eat the plants. And how on earth would nematodes get into my seed starter?
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/8/2020, 9:35 pm

CitizenKate wrote:Binge watching seedlings! cyclops Yep, that's me, too. Yesterday, I spotted some nematodes in the seed starter with my tabasco seedlings, and can't decide if that's good or bad. So far, I've only seen them muching down on matter in the seed mix, not on any of the plants. But then today, I saw some strange markings on the stem of one of the plants, so I'm wondering if that's normal or if the nematodes are starting to eat the plants. And how on earth would nematodes get into my seed starter?
So, was it purchased seed starting mix?  That is extremely weird if it is!  I didn’t know you could actually see nematodes?!!!

Cold here; closed the frame and threw a sheet on the lettuces.  Asparagus is on its own?  I didn’t know what to do there...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/8/2020, 11:00 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
So, was it purchased seed starting mix?  That is extremely weird if it is!  I didn’t know you could actually see nematodes?!!!

Cold here; closed the frame and threw a sheet on the lettuces.  Asparagus is on its own?  I didn’t know what to do there...
Yeah, it's just some Burpee organic seed starting mix. It comes dry, so I don't think nematodes could survive being in the package. I did have the seed tray sitting out in the sun the day before, for about 30 minutes.

Here's what I saw:
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Nemato11

Closer:
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Nemato10

They're extremely tiny, about 1mm wide by 5-6mm long. I probably wouldn't have noticed them, but I had my magnifiers on while checking out things in the seed tray. (Yep, I was in binge mode.) At this point, I don't think they're harmful. They're just hanging out in the growing mix.

The forecast lows are not quite down to freezing, but I got out and covered everything up this evening, and probably will again for the next couple of nights. I don't think we'll get a killing freeze, but anything below 50 can sure slow things down. Then I think we're finally out of the proverbial woods. I wish I knew what to tell you about the asparagus... don't have much experience with it, but my google search says it can tolerate a light frost.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/9/2020, 2:32 pm

Harvested some Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Saxa 2 Radishes, and Green Onions today. The garden is really growing. The Saxa 2 Radishes are some of the 18-day radishes, and they are so sweet this time of the year that I ended up eating some of them right out of the garden.

Perpetual Spinach
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Spinac13

Romaine Lettuce leaves
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Romain12

Saxa 2 Radishes
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Saxa_210

Green Onion
N&C Midwest:  May 2020 Green_20

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/9/2020, 4:54 pm

They all look fabulous, OH! I've never heard of "Perpetual Spinach" before. Slow-bolting, I gather?
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/9/2020, 5:12 pm

CitizenKate wrote:They all look fabulous, OH! I've never heard of "Perpetual Spinach" before. Slow-bolting, I gather?

Yes, it doesn't bolt in hot weather, and while it can be started very early in the spring, it grows until the first hard freeze of winter. It is great in salads, and is great sauteed with garlic or onions. But, a lot of it gets eaten in the garden without making it to the house. Smile

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next