Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are vegetables hurt by too much light? Toplef10Are vegetables hurt by too much light? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are vegetables hurt by too much light? I22gcj10Are vegetables hurt by too much light? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are vegetables hurt by too much light? Toplef10Are vegetables hurt by too much light? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are vegetables hurt by too much light? I22gcj10Are vegetables hurt by too much light? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are vegetables hurt by too much light?

+2
AtlantaMarie
plantoid
6 posters

Go down

Are vegetables hurt by too much light? Empty Are vegetables hurt by too much light?

Post  Guest 1/18/2018, 10:52 pm

Here is a question I'll be you guys haven't gotten yet - he he he!  We are designing our home that we'll break ground on soon, and need a place inside for the plants ("indoor garden").  Problem is that the house has to be pretty darned small due to finances, so the best place that we seem to be able to put them, is in the living room by the windows.  Where does the "too much light" part comes in?  Well, normally when the sun goes down, plants are in the dark, but in the living room, there will be a pretty fair amount of light until around 9:30-10:00 each night.  Will this affect the plants negatively in any way?  I don't want to keep them from producing or something!  Thanks in advance.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Are vegetables hurt by too much light? Empty Re: Are vegetables hurt by too much light?

Post  sanderson 1/19/2018, 1:45 am

Are you talking about house plants or indoor veggies? In Alaska, the summer days are really long so I don't think too much sunlight will bother the veggies. What say others?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Are vegetables hurt by too much light? Empty Re: Are vegetables hurt by too much light?

Post  plantoid 1/19/2018, 6:35 am

My thoughts ....

You might find that having the plants by a window will  cause them to die due to too much heat from strong direct or reflected sunlight .

East facing windows tend to be a bit cooler as the sun should have moved round a lot before the heat of the day / afternoon causes problems . Plus it should be bright enough for most house plants & perhaps even a few greenhouse plants as well .
We sometimes also use north facing windows for plants & getting some seeds  going once the danger of frosts has gone
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/19/2018, 8:01 am

I have rosemary, peppermint & Medusa & her daughters (aloe plants) in an east-facing window. They love it there!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Are vegetables hurt by too much light? Empty I'm referring to INSIDE light...

Post  Guest 1/19/2018, 8:28 pm

Thank you all, but what I'm asking is about is the ambient room light from the living room as we watch tv and work on the computers.  I'm not asking about the windows.  I am just concerned that lights in the living room after "normal plant lights out" time.  I have friends who grow MMJ, and I know that those plants are very picky about lights (or rather COMPLETE darkness) for certain times.  And though I know that veggies don't require total darkness like MMJ - but I don't want to screw up my peppers or tomatoes and any fruiting that may be happening...  Thanks all!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/19/2018, 8:37 pm

I dont know what MMJ is, but I have started my seeds indoors in my basement under T8 fluorescent lights with no problems on 24/7.  All seeds except roots and direct stuff (pole beans, spring stuff like sugar snaps, etc.)

My east facing window is their first look at sunlight.  I would love to have south windows but no!

Also watch your overhang depth since you are building!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/19/2018, 8:48 pm

Scorpio - MMJ=medical marijuana.  I don't have any interest in it, but have a friend who grows indoors and tells me about the total darkness they have to have (he's going to give me a tour of the grow room soon).  But all that aside, again what I am concerned with is ambient room lighting when the plants would normally be in the dark.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/19/2018, 10:19 pm

Saganco, If the plants are in the living room with the TV and computers, maybe you can cover them until your bedtime. Cut open a black garbage bag and lay over the frame??

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/20/2018, 8:38 am

The amount of day/light changes with the seasons and some plants use this to know when to flower. Too many hours of dark, or not enough, and they know it's not time to try to make fruits yet (using the word fruit in the botanical sense -where tomatoes count as fruits.) Some plants, called short-day plants, need a long period of darkness every night. I'm guessing MMJ is one of those, and the strict darkness ensures it starts forming flowers. Other plants, long-day plants, need short nights to tell them when to flower. Still other plants are day-neutral, and they flower once they reach maturity. (And there's probably some plants that are more complicated and don't fall cleanly into those three categories. I think there's some orchids that need specific temperature shifts to flower, for instance.)

Tomatoes are day-neutral, but they still need some darkness for general health. Here's an article about tomatoes and darkness:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/tomatoes-grow-darkness-67767.html

Studies have indicated that the blue light from TVs can interfere with human internal clocks, so I would guess that if the tomatoes can 'see' the TV they will be affected, too. Whether the tomatoes get the 6-8 hours of darkness they want depends on how long it is from when you go to bed at night to when sunrise is the next morning (and maybe whether or not you have a street light shining in the window.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/27/2018, 11:42 pm

saganco wrote:Scorpio - MMJ=medical marijuana.  I don't have any interest in it, but have a friend who grows indoors and tells me about the total darkness they have to have (he's going to give me a tour of the grow room soon).  But all that aside, again what I am concerned with is ambient room lighting when the plants would normally be in the dark.
Interesting question!!!  I did not know that about marijuana plants!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Are vegetables hurt by too much light? Empty PLEASE DISREGARD THIS QUESTION!

Post  Guest 1/27/2018, 11:47 pm

Since I posted this question, hubby has since redesigned the house to be built and I WILL HAVE A SUNROOM/garden area!!  So they will be able to be in the dark as needed!  Thank you all for your input.  Seems nothing in our lives at the moment is "set in concrete" - most things are "set in jello"!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/28/2018, 4:04 pm

A sunroom built to order! Saganco, How exciting to be building a new home!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/28/2018, 5:24 pm

Exciting and scary at 60 & 69 years old!  So many decisions to make, and so much potential to NOT like what we chose.  Plus the thousands of major aches and pains from being part of the crew - but when it's all done, I think it will be outstanding.  It's going to be small - about 1100 sf - but it's only the 2 humans and 2 kitties and plants...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/2/2018, 8:06 pm

My little house is situated at a road junction that is so will lit I can move around my kitchen and living room any time of the day and night.  That means that most of my garden shares the same street-lamp light and I wonder if that is detrimental to my plants.

In parts of the garden I even do some weeding if helped by some moonlight.

My friend lives near me but across the Columbia River and her roads have no streetlights and the first time I visited her after dark I had to be very careful not to do any damage to my car in backing out etc.  I am in the city and she is in an              un-incorporated area.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Are vegetables hurt by too much light? Empty Problem solved - no longer a question!

Post  Guest 2/4/2018, 11:22 am

Well Kelejan, street lights will not be an issue at all.  There are none in our subdivision! 

Now the plan for the house/garden area is to have what some might call a sunroom/mud room - a fairly small area where you go thru that to get into the house.  THAT will be my very small garden (it's a 7' x 17' area, but part of that is for passing thru and such, so I won't get to use it all).  There's one large window between the living room and the "garden", so I was just concerned about ambient light from the living room, but honestly I don't think it's going to be an issue, and if it is, a curtain on that window should fix it.

So - I think my post has been dealt with well enough - I believe it's all a moot point now!  Thank you all for helping me sort thru it all.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/4/2018, 3:00 pm

Glad you got your answers. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/5/2018, 8:50 pm

Thanks!!  Great group here!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down