Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Yardslave 4/7/2019, 11:14 am

Last week the black aphids showed up for their annual Feast of The Favas. I sprayed them down with soap,to no avail, then I dusted them with dolomite- same results- I'm going to have to have to break out the Neem oil to nuke 'em, but I'll have to cover up 2 beds to protect the bees and ladybugs.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 4/7/2019, 11:26 am

Yardslave wrote:Last week the black aphids showed up for their annual Feast of The Favas. I sprayed them down with soap,to no avail, then I dusted them with dolomite- same results- I'm going to have to have to break out the Neem oil to nuke 'em, but I'll have to cover up 2 beds to protect the bees and ladybugs.

I just read that the little monsters don't like onions. If you have any to plant among the favas (unless they don't like onions either) it might be worth a try. I'm going to plant some in with my milkweed, since that's my main aphid feeding site. I'm not optimistic, but what can it hurt? Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/7/2019, 3:26 pm

YS, The aphids on my walking onions are the black ones, also. Just spray the Neem solution at sundown.

Suz, See reply to YS. The black aphids are on onions!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/7/2019, 5:03 pm

sanderson wrote:YS,  The aphids on my walking onions are the black ones, also.  Just spray the Neem solution at sundown.

Suz, See reply to YS.  The black aphids are on onions!
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 4/8/2019, 11:10 am

Good luck with that! The milkweed in my garden were appetizers for a main course of fava beans at my place. I'm going to have to delay happy hour for a few minutes and spray down the favas at sunset- maybe I'll hum a few bars on Taps for them.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/8/2019, 11:55 am

Yardslave wrote:Good luck with that! The milkweed in my garden were appetizers for a main course of fava beans at my place. I'm going to have to delay happy hour for a few minutes and spray down the favas at sunset- maybe I'll hum a few bars on Taps for them.
Shocked Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil No cyclops affraid silly me California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 671790 California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 950477

I know -- I'll try ths one -- California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 3787310120 (Maybe I can hurt their feelings and they'll go away. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 2027012869
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/8/2019, 12:09 pm

Saw an interesting video on an organic spray for aphids just yesterday....

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 Empty Aphids

Post  countrynaturals 4/8/2019, 2:53 pm

Sounds good, but I'm skeptical. I couldn't find the free samples, so I'm gonna wait until we hear from someone who uses it or knows why we shouldn't.

My concern is that if it can kill aphids, what will it do to monarch eggs and babies? If it's really effective, I'd use it anyway until the monarchs come in late June/early July. Then I can use hand methods while the butterflies are here.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/8/2019, 4:10 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Sounds good, but I'm skeptical. I couldn't find the free samples, so I'm gonna wait until we hear from someone who uses it or knows why we shouldn't.

My concern is that if it can kill aphids, what will it do to monarch eggs and babies? If it's really effective, I'd use it anyway until the monarchs come in late June/early July. Then I can use hand methods while the butterflies are here.
I read that the free samples can be requested by email at INFO@DOCTORZYMES.com or call 707-984-6094.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/8/2019, 4:21 pm

yolos wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:Sounds good, but I'm skeptical. I couldn't find the free samples, so I'm gonna wait until we hear from someone who uses it or knows why we shouldn't.

I read that the free samples can be requested by email at INFO@DOCTORZYMES.com or call 707-984-6094.

Thanks, Yolos. Fingers crossed we've finally found something that works. Rolling Eyes

Here's what they have to say about their product:

http://www.doctorzymes.com/pdf/Important%20Information%20about%20%20Eliminator%20for%20Pest%20Control%20.pdf
(If you don't want to read it, basically it says stay out of heat and light when applying -- so do it in the evening when it's below 90 degrees.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/18/2019, 2:00 pm

I have been peaking in on the Forum but not very active right now. I am in the planting, repairing, amending process, not only in the beds but also in the landscape. Should be mostly done within the next 2 days. Happy gardening, folks. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/18/2019, 4:39 pm

I'm just transplanting tomatoes and replanting what the beasties ate.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/21/2019, 9:04 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I'm just transplanting tomatoes and replanting what the beasties ate.

Finished transplanting the tomatoes. Gotta start over with the milkweed. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/24/2019, 3:48 am

This has been a rather crazy April. I was sooo patient about waiting until the weather was safe, no rain, soil temps at 60*F. I have most things transplanted, most of the irrigation fixed or modified, most of the beans sowed. The bulbing garlic are in their new bed but may be too late to finish forming cloves. Sigh. The sweet potato slips got red spider mites in in their rooting cups of water. Shocked What? So, I sprayed them well with Neem and kept them indoors until totally dry. Then realized the geranium starts were next to them and also had mites. Repeat treatment. Ken made the last new bed on wheels before he left for LV. I got the "cup holders" screwed in place, cut the weed fabric liner and started refilling it. Dumped the 2 buckets with worms in and started adding new coarse vermiculite and fluffed peat moss for some new MM in the bed. Turned around and realized I hadn't dumped the wheel barrel of saved MM into the bed. So, removed most of the vermiculite and peat moss. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 92*F so it won't be fun finishing the bed, re-sizing the drip system and getting the Dragon Tongues sowed. What I'm saying is, I am having a a stumbling start to the summer garden.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 4/24/2019, 12:25 pm

Things are heating up where I live- 90 degrees yesterday, and more heat today. I was late with my seed starting and am just trying to keep the seedlings wet and I have my fingers crossed that I don't get any damping off. Some of my seeds were old, and I should have checked for viability, because only a quarter of the eggplants and half of the zucchini germinated. I'm going to sprout a new batch and hope they catch up with the others. The black aphids are still munching away at my fava beans, but the ladybugs have arrived and I'm going to let them have a shot at the aphids. The Neem oil worked on the adults, but the next generation is going to have to deal with the hungry ladybugs. All my beds are waiting for transplants and I'm going to direct sow carrots later today and hope I can keep them wet enough to germinate.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/24/2019, 2:28 pm

YS, It would seem by now we would be pros at getting the summer gardens started. Razz

I got the new bed filled, but forgot to water the layers. Sigh tongue

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 4/28/2019, 5:41 pm

I have beds ready for transplanting, but have noticed that the ones that I neglected to keep wet are now acting like I covered them with a water repellent- the water just beads up and runs off. I'm going to sprinkle lightly and at regular intervals in the evening to see if I can get the mix to accept water. Any one have a solution for this problem?
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/28/2019, 6:03 pm

Yardslave wrote:I have beds ready for transplanting, but have noticed that the ones that I neglected to keep wet are now acting like I covered them with a water repellent- the water just beads up and runs off. I'm going to sprinkle lightly and at regular intervals in the evening to see if I can get the mix to accept water. Any one have a solution for this problem?

That is the one downside of Peat - if it dries out, it tends to repel water instead of sponging it up. It has to be kept moist in order to easily accept new water.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/28/2019, 6:10 pm

I finished prepping the carrot bed and got it planted last night. I didn't realize how old the seeds were -- nothing newer than 2017 and some went all the way back to 2007! Shocked  Sooo, I just dumped them all in. Maybe we'll have carrots and maybe we won't. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/29/2019, 12:00 am

YS, You're doing all you can do at this point, just keep watering a little at a time until it is all moist (wet). Also, break the surface with the hand trowel so the water has a place to seep in.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/15/2019, 3:11 am

YS, it looks like your watering will be taking care of itself with the predicted rain. cloudy-bummer

It looks like there will be rain in most areas of California. Even here in Fresno, where I swear the clouds separate and go around us. 3/4" of rain expected here. Has everyone prepared the gardens in case there is some hard rain?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/15/2019, 10:02 am

countrynaturals wrote:I finished prepping the carrot bed and got it planted last night. I didn't realize how old the seeds were -- nothing newer than 2017 and some went all the way back to 2007! Shocked  Sooo, I just dumped them all in. Maybe we'll have carrots and maybe we won't. Rolling Eyes
A handful of carrots are up. I'm hoping this cool, wet weather will make the peas and kale happy. I also have some other winter crops still in that may now produce after I had all but given up on them.

Romaine and cilantro should like it, too.

It will probably stall the tomatoes, that's okay, since they were already off to a great head start.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/15/2019, 8:59 pm

Chopping mulch! I have been working on cleaning the back patio, cleaning and storing items from one or 2 seasons ago, washing windows, etc. Only to turn around and start another project. Shocked I work left to right with the prevailing wind: bagged quarter of straw bales, large cement pan, paper cutter, chopped straw in smaller cement pan, and into rolling 33-gallon garbage can. I can then roll it around to mulch the beds. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 Mulch_10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/15/2019, 11:18 pm

Giving all my container plants a top dressing or re-potting with Happy Frog potting mix (thank you OG). I'm so excited to have potting soil with all the microbes and nutrients of the best "real" dirt. Best of all, it's no more expensive and available right in our neighborhood. YEE-HAH! happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/20/2019, 11:34 am

Planting peas, lettuce, cilantro, & radishes (indoor garden). Neener, neener, Mother Nature -- you aren't the boss of me. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 21 950477
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next