Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Maritime SGFG 2017 Toplef10Maritime SGFG 2017 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Maritime SGFG 2017 I22gcj10Maritime SGFG 2017 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Maritime SGFG 2017 Toplef10Maritime SGFG 2017 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Maritime SGFG 2017 I22gcj10Maritime SGFG 2017 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Maritime SGFG 2017

+2
sanderson
SwampTroll
6 posters

Go down

Maritime SGFG 2017 Empty Maritime SGFG 2017

Post  SwampTroll 5/21/2017, 5:26 pm

Maritime SGFG 2017 2017_g10

Hmmm, That shouldn't have rotated.

Regardless, this is the basic plan that I have currently.  The open spots are for things that I hope to plant if my old seeds germinate.  Otherwise they'll just be duplicates of items already planned for.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Maritime SGFG 2017 Empty Re: Maritime SGFG 2017

Post  SwampTroll 5/21/2017, 7:48 pm

If you have suggestions or comments on how to improve this, feel free to ask/comment.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/22/2017, 2:29 am

I'd give the corn more squares for better polination. Otherwise, looks good.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/22/2017, 8:15 am

I am not familiar with the growing conditions up in the great north but can you grow cool season crops (like peas, lettuce, garlic, onions and spinach) at the same time you grow warm season crops (like tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, squash).   thinking

Hope TD, Kelejan and the other Canadians can help.

Agree with Sanderson about the corn but it is possible to hand pollinate corn but it is a pain.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/22/2017, 9:44 am

sanderson wrote:I'd give the corn more squares for better polination.  Otherwise, looks good.

More squares as in more corn, or more squares per corn?
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/22/2017, 10:28 am

yolos wrote:I am not familiar with the growing conditions up in the great north but can you grow cool season crops (like peas, lettuce, garlic, onions and spinach) at the same time you grow warm season crops (like tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, squash).   thinking
yolos ... I don't have much choice given the relatively short growing season. I already have peas, lettuce, onions, swiss chard and garlic growing in the SFG. In the next day or so the tomato transplants will go in, followed by the peppers and tomatillos. Then early in June (perhaps sooner if it looks like the weather will be warm) I will put in the cucumbers and squash via transplants and/or direct seeding. Some cool weather crops will be finished during the heat of summer. I've never had success with a second cool weather veggie crop for the Fall. The Fall crop needs to be started in August and it is often too hot. I may try again this year by starting some things indoors in the summer and then transplanting outside as the weather cools off. I sometimes wonder why I even bother with a veggie garden given the restrictions imposed by weather and short seasons. But as Mrs TD keeps reminding me ... it's a hobby. As well it gives me some exercise.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/22/2017, 11:01 am

yolos wrote:I am not familiar with the growing conditions up in the great north but can you grow cool season crops (like peas, lettuce, garlic, onions and spinach) at the same time you grow warm season crops (like tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, squash).   thinking

In most places no.  Here in SE NB, it strangely works.  I have absolutely no idea why, but in the past when I've combined them, I've had no issue whatsoever.  Granted this will be my first year doing squash, corn and cukes, but have had little to no issues with peppers, tomatoes and other hot loving plants.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/22/2017, 11:14 am

SwampTroll wrote:

In most places no.  Here in SE NB, it strangely works.  I have absolutely no idea why, but in the past when I've combined them, I've had no issue whatsoever.  Granted this will be my first year doing squash, corn and cukes, but have had little to no issues with peppers, tomatoes and other hot loving plants.

ST I'm not sure why you say "In most place no".  I think in northern climates like ours it is quite common to grow cool weather crops and warm season crops at the same time with some overlap but not starting and ending at the same time. We can start the cool weather crops earlier in the Spring and allow them to overlap with the warm weather crops which are started later in the Spring. They grow side by side into the Summer. We should also be able to start some new cool weather crops late in the summer and they will grow alongside the hot weather crops for a period of time.  After the warm weather crops are finished then the cool weather crops continue for a period of time.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/22/2017, 11:36 am

Milkweed is perennial, and IIRC it spreads underground via rhizomes. I hope you grow some for the monarchs! But you may want to reconsider having it directly in your SFG bed.

I'm surprised to see a single square of strawberries because they are also a spreading perennial. Not sure if you have a secret plan like using the plants to make runner-baby plants for another bed, or whether I should suggest you read up more on strawberries. It's not a bad plan to start with one square, but you'll want to have a management plan for this year and next year, depending on your goals.

I'd, personally, move the beets away from the peas, tomatoes and cucumbers because I won't want to disturb the roots of those when I pull the beets. This fear may be unfounded; I don't think I've heard anyone else mention it, and I haven't tested it. And it wouldn't apply if they are fall beets to be pulled after the peas are done and when the tomatoes are already on their way out. 

I'm in Pennsylvania, and my cool and warm crops overlap in the way TD explains. I just sowed my last spring lettuce succession (my 8th this year), and if I was on schedule with my plan, most of my warm season crops would already be transplanted. The first two successions of lettuce are mature. The last spring one I just sowed may or may not give me an ok harvest of individual leaves before they bolt. I'll be transplanting those last spring lettuces (too many vanishing seedlings, probably via slugs, for direct sowing) to squares that will be shaded by other plants by the time these lettuces would near completion, but whether I succeed just depends on the weather/temperatures. I'm now on an approximately two month hiatus on lettuce planting. When I start up again, I'll still be starting indoors because it will be too hot outside. But those first fall lettuces should mature before the tomatoes are done for the year.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/22/2017, 11:39 am

trolleydriver wrote:
SwampTroll wrote:

ST I'm not sure why you say "In most place no".  I think in northern climates like ours it is quite common to grow cool weather crops and warm season crops at the same time with some overlap but not starting and ending at the same time. We can start the cool weather crops earlier in the Spring and allow them to overlap with the warm weather crops which are started later in the Spring. They grow side by side into the Summer. We should also be able to start some new cool weather crops late in the summer and they will grow alongside the hot weather crops for a period of time.  After the warm weather crops are finished then the cool weather crops continue for a period of time.
Very interesting the different planting methods/times of the far north vs the far south.  For instance, I seeded my broccoli inside on 1/21.  Transplanted to the garden on 3/4.  Began harvesting my first head on 4/26.  Harvested my last head on 5/13 just before getting ready to bolt.  Then planted squash and cucumbers in the same bed.  I will be ready to transplant broccoli again on about 9/1 unless we are having a heat wave. At that time, I might have to use shade cloth to keep the heat down in the bed.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/22/2017, 3:32 pm

Heck, we still had 2-4 feet of snow on the ground in March.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/22/2017, 4:01 pm

@Beetles  Good catch. I'll move the beets back to be along side the black kale.    The swamp milkweed will have to be moved elsewhere and I'll have to figure out what to do about the strawberries.  I forgot how voracious they can be in their spread.  Guess I've got more room to experiment with my older seeds with.  

@TD  I've had no success growing both cold and warm crops side by side in the Ottawa Valley, in Nova Scotia or in Chicago which all have comparative climates.  Yet here it seems to work.   I'm glad to hear that others have figured out how to make it work as well.  Must mean I'm finally doing something right.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/22/2017, 4:17 pm

SwampTroll wrote:@Beetles  Good catch. I'll move the beets back to be along side the black kale.    The swamp milkweed will have to be moved elsewhere and I'll have to figure out what to do about the strawberries.  I forgot how voracious they can be in their spread.  Guess I've got more room to experiment with my older seeds with.  

@TD  I've had no success growing both cold and warm crops side by side in the Ottawa Valley, in Nova Scotia or in Chicago which all have comparative climates.  Yet here it seems to work.   I'm glad to hear that others have figured out how to make it work as well.  Must mean I'm finally doing something right.
ST ... I think it may have to do with timing when to plant out cool versus warm weather crops. They may not do well if planted at the same time. I am sure there are farmers near me some of whom plant cool weather crops and others who plant warm weather crops in the same climate or maybe a given farmer will grow both types of crops. The cool weather crops will go to market before the warm weather crops but for a period they will be growing in parallel at the same time.

By the way ST, you have a good plan.  I think you have one square of nasturtiums. I might suggest that you move the nasturtiums to an outer square and allow them to drape over the side of the bed otherwise they may take over adjacent squares.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/22/2017, 4:30 pm

ST ... here is what the nasturtiums looked like in the corner of my table top SFG last year.

Maritime SGFG 2017 IMG_2558_zpsfrlfqhye
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/22/2017, 5:30 pm

Maritime SGFG 2017 Update10
Latest plan.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/23/2017, 4:13 am

SwampTroll wrote:
sanderson wrote:I'd give the corn more squares for better polination.  Otherwise, looks good.

More squares as in more corn, or more squares per corn?
More squares of corn, like four squares. Each square has 4 corn stalks.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/23/2017, 12:35 pm

sanderson wrote:  Each square has 4 corn stalks.

Uh oh....why did I put 9/sq??? Did I read that somewhere?
thinking
oiy.
OH...maybe it was so the raccoons will leave me some.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/24/2017, 3:29 am

I should have done that when Sweetie was with me. rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/25/2017, 7:27 pm

Thanks for the advice Sanderson.

Good thing I had the extra square available.  I'm just hoping my corn sprouts.  Does it normally take an extra long time to germinate?
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/25/2017, 9:38 pm

SwampTroll wrote:Thanks for the advice Sanderson.

Good thing I had the extra square available.  I'm just hoping my corn sprouts.  Does it normally take an extra long time to germinate?
I grow Silver Queen.  It first starts germinating and poking out of the soil after about 4 days.  All seeds have germinated and poking out of the soil no later than 7 days.  But it does depend somewhat on the soil temps.  Corn like warm soil.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Maritime SGFG 2017 Empty Update time

Post  SwampTroll 7/1/2017, 12:52 pm

Maritime SGFG 2017 20170612My Indigo tomatoes starting off nicely
Maritime SGFG 2017 20170614My blueberry garden and Gayle
Maritime SGFG 2017 20170613Blueberry garden from a different angle.

Last edited by SwampTroll on 7/1/2017, 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Caption adding)
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down