Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Toplef102016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! I22gcj102016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Toplef102016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! I22gcj102016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

+6
yolos
sanderson
BeetlesPerSqFt
Scorpio Rising
countrynaturals
MrBooker
10 posters

Go down

2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Empty 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  MrBooker 7/30/2016, 10:48 pm

All I have left of my spring sfg is carrots, beets, peppers and a few "brown tomato" plants which I will remove shortly.
My cukes were mostly deformed although I did get a few nice ones. The trellised watermelons and cantaloupe are still in fair shape.

Today I will plant my fall/winter crop. (Mostly from seed into my SFG). Planting carrots, beets, turnips, Collards, lettuce, parsnips, cabbage, radish, chard and maybe some Kale.

I have hoops on two of my 4x4's and two of my 4x8's.  The hoops worked out great when I planted in early March this year. The last average frost date in my area is April 15th so I had an early start.

Anyone interested in fall/winter gardening.. Here's a good place to start.
http://www.motherofahubbard.com/category/winter-vegetable-gardening/
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Empty Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  countrynaturals 7/30/2016, 10:56 pm

MrBooker wrote:Today I will plant my fall/winter crop. (Mostly from seed into my SFG). Planting carrots, beets, turnips, Collards, lettuce, parsnips, cabbage, radish, chard and maybe some Kale.
I'm ready too -- carrots, turnips, kale, broccoli -- all go in tomorrow or the next day. 2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Empty Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2016, 12:03 am

LETTUCES
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/31/2016, 7:27 am

Thanks Mr. Booker! I love reminders like this because I apparently got only mostly through creating my calendar plan for the year before getting distracted, and there are some plants and or successions that I don't have reminders for. thanks

I was unsuccessful with fall carrots last year, and the spring carrots have hardly done anything this year (the ones that germinated anyhow) ... maybe I'll find an edge or something to try a few. I started my parsnips in spring, and I thought I was supposed to leave them until frost...I'll have to research if I can grow them enough before frost in my area to get enough growth before a freeze if I start another round now.

My beet, turnip, rutabega, kohlrabi, napa cabbage, pak choy, collard, and eighth succession of lettuce seedlings are just coming up inside. My pre-sprouted peas will go out tomorrow.

The cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts (another one where I'm baffled by when to plant/expect harvest) and kale seedlings got transplanted a few days ago.

I haven't sown my winter radishes or spinach or mustard yet... soon! 

I got one of Eliot Coleman's books, referenced in the Planting Guide in the link you sent, but haven't had time to read through it all the way, much less incorporate it. I have some hours of sitting in a car ahead of me today and I should bring that book. (Yes, I can read in the car without ill effects, but can't work on my laptop for some reason.) Another thanks for giving me that thought! study
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 7/31/2016, 11:21 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Thanks Mr. Booker! I love reminders like this because I apparently got only mostly through creating my calendar plan for the year before getting distracted, and there are some plants and or successions that I don't have reminders for. thanks

I was unsuccessful with fall carrots last year, and the spring carrots have hardly done anything this year (the ones that germinated anyhow) ... maybe I'll find an edge or something to try a few. I started my parsnips in spring, and I thought I was supposed to leave them until frost...I'll have to research if I can grow them enough before frost in my area to get enough growth before a freeze if I start another round now.

My beet, turnip, rutabega, kohlrabi, napa cabbage, pak choy, collard, and eighth succession of lettuce seedlings are just coming up inside. My pre-sprouted peas will go out tomorrow.

The cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts (another one where I'm baffled by when to plant/expect harvest) and kale seedlings got transplanted a few days ago.

I haven't sown my winter radishes or spinach or mustard yet... soon! 

I got one of Eliot Coleman's books, referenced in the Planting Guide in the link you sent, but haven't had time to read through it all the way, much less incorporate it. I have some hours of sitting in a car ahead of me today and I should bring that book. (Yes, I can read in the car without ill effects, but can't work on my laptop for some reason.) Another thanks for giving me the reminder.
I live in zone 6a and my Carrots and beets did pretty well but I had them in a hoop house.
2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Carrot11

Here is a pic of my carrots still growing.
2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Carrot12

Still waiting for my Mexican Sunflowers to bloom.
2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Mexica10

I worked all day yesterday adding fresh MM to all of my beds and didnt get to plant. I think I will hold off a little longer since most of my sfg will be in a hoop house.
2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Ready_10

AHHhhhhhhh..... COMPOST.
2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! 157_de10
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/31/2016, 11:43 am

Mr. Booker, That's a nice temp for your Berkeley compost pile. Did you mean you added fresh compost to all the boxes or did you add new MM? MM is only added to the beds when they are first built. It's the compost that gets used up and needs to be replenished. The peat moss and vermiculite are still there.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 7/31/2016, 12:37 pm

sanderson wrote:Mr. Booker, That's a nice temp for your Berkeley compost pile.  Did you mean you added fresh compost to all the boxes or did you add new MM?  MM is only added to the beds when they are first built.  It's the compost that gets used up and needs to be replenished.  The peat moss and vermiculite are still there.
WOOPS... I added new MM.  I dont have any compost other than bagged. I have 5 or 6 different kinds plus Black Kow manure.  Should I mix the bagged compost and cow manure and add it.?
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/31/2016, 1:06 pm

This is just my take. Yes, It looks like you topped off the boxes. I think it would be best to remove a couple inches and then add and mix in the composts. Use the removed MM plus extra composts for another bed??

Any one else?? Camp, if you have time?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/31/2016, 1:15 pm

MrBooker wrote:
sanderson wrote:Mr. Booker, That's a nice temp for your Berkeley compost pile.  Did you mean you added fresh compost to all the boxes or did you add new MM?  MM is only added to the beds when they are first built.  It's the compost that gets used up and needs to be replenished.  The peat moss and vermiculite are still there.
WOOPS... I added new MM.  I dont have any compost other than bagged. I have 5 or 6 different kinds plus Black Kow manure.  Should I mix the bagged compost and cow manure and add it.?
Using bagged compost to the boxes is ok.  It is what most of us did until we had time and room and learned to make our own compost.  I still add bagged compost to my finished homemade compost to add more nutrients to the compost.  As Camprn said in a previous thread, just grass, leaves and veggies is not sufficient.  I do not have access to any type of manure so I still buy bagged compost to round out my compost.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 7/31/2016, 1:52 pm

sanderson wrote:This is just my take.  Yes,  It looks like you topped off the boxes.  I think it would be best to remove a couple inches and then add and mix in the composts.  Use the removed MM plus extra composts for another bed??

Any one else??  Camp, if you have time?
Sanderson.. Thanks. I think I will wait til I plant to remove the MM. Before I plant seeds or transplants, I'll just scoop out a hand full of the new MM and add the bagged compost. (I have 5 or 6 different kinds I'll mix up)
      OBTW:  Did you say "ANOTHER BED"?   HMMmmmm...... Reading my mind are you???? thinking

I only have room in the back yard for one more 4x8 before I start at the side of the house..lol
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/31/2016, 6:24 pm

I see room for at least three 4' x 4'! The only reason to do it now would be to let the microbes multiply and spread throughout the box. How I wish I had your room. A handful of mixed compost will probably not be enough. I know, I know. More work.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2016, 6:52 pm

sanderson wrote:This is just my take.  Yes,  It looks like you topped off the boxes.  I think it would be best to remove a couple inches and then add and mix in the composts.  Use the removed MM plus extra composts for another bed??

Any one else??  Camp, if you have time?
Yes, I agree, take a couple inches of your MM off, amend the beds with your compost, store the MM for next year, for a new bed, containers, whatever!    The compost is the fuel, the peat and vermiculite are the infrastructure!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 7/31/2016, 7:38 pm

screened a bunch of compost this weekend for use this fall...I was lazy and didn't turn my bins as often as I should have...just too darn hot this year.

I am going to skip all cole crops like Broccoli and Cauliflower this fall...maybe buy a few green cabbage seedlings from a local garden center...start some chinese cabbage indoors in a day or two.  Need to start some buttercrunch lettuce as well. I'll be direct seeding more carrots, beets, Tatsoi, Toy Choy, etc....then spinach and garlic over winter.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/31/2016, 8:57 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Yes, I agree, take a couple inches of your MM off, amend the beds with your compost, store the MM for next year, for a new bed, containers, whatever!    The compost is the fuel, the peat and vermiculite are the infrastructure!
Well said.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/1/2016, 4:09 pm

MrBooker wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I was unsuccessful with fall carrots last year, and the spring carrots have hardly done anything this year (the ones that germinated anyhow) ... maybe I'll find an edge or something to try a few. I started my parsnips in spring, and I thought I was supposed to leave them until frost...I'll have to research if I can grow them enough before frost in my area to get enough growth before a freeze if I start another round now.
I live in zone 6a and my Carrots and beets did pretty well but I had them in a hoop house.
Here is a pic of my carrots still growing.
2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Carrot12

Still waiting for my Mexican Sunflowers to bloom.
One of my Mexican sunflowers is just peeking petals out today.

Here's what my 4-square of carrots look like, for comparison. They were sown 5/5, so giving ~10days for germination, they're at 78 days maturity. According to the seed packets, they should be done now. 2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! 950477
2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! Carrot10
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/1/2016, 4:17 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Here's what my 4-square of carrots look like, for comparison. They were sown 5/5, so giving ~10days for germination, they're at 78 days maturity. According to the seed packets, they should be done now. 2016 Fall/Winter SFG..  I'm READY..!! 950477

Yeah, my carrots had spotty spring germination like that, too, for the past 2 yrs. And then they are all finishing at different times. It's weird. I'm thinking it's time for new seed so am letting the strongest and most perfect go to seed to collect next year.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 8/1/2016, 7:15 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:

Yeah, my carrots had spotty spring germination like that, too, for the past 2 yrs.  And then they are all finishing at different times.  It's weird.  I'm thinking it's time for new seed so am letting the strongest and most perfect go to seed to collect next year.
I just built my SFG this spring and of course, add fresh MM. I think I planted my carrots around the first week of April in a hoop house. I'm guessing the fresh MM and the hoop house had a lot to do with my success.

The carrots I planted in the 4x4x6 grew so long, they grew down to the weed barrier then grew horizontally. Some of them were so fat and woody I ran them through a food processor for the compost pile.

Soon I will be planting my fall/winter Cole crops. I'm going to try keeping the carrots in the ground all winter in the hoop houses.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/2/2016, 8:38 pm

I just planted some fall crops yesterday and today:
Lettuce - 4 types - 1 row each in 2 boxes
Bush Beans - purple - 1 row in 1 box
Carrots - Dragon and Nante - 1 row in 1 box

That is all the room I have for now.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 8/2/2016, 9:39 pm

Dunkinjean wrote:I just planted some fall crops yesterday and today:
Lettuce - 4 types - 1 row each in 2 boxes
Bush Beans - purple - 1 row in 1 box
Carrots - Dragon and Nante - 1 row in 1 box

That is all the room I have for now.
I'm going to wait a week or so since I will have mine in hoop houses. Keep us posted plz and good luck.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/3/2016, 4:09 am

Hi Dunkinjean happy hi Good to see you

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/3/2016, 5:42 pm

Sanderson - Thank you.

I have been away for awhile. Luckily I have the summer off from work.
I attended one wedding in June in NJ and then one wedding in July in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Also been visiting grandchildren in Washington, DC and Orchard Park, NY. Took two grandchildren from NY to visit with us for 1 week and returned them (lol-parents made us). Also received company from out of state a couple of times. We will be going out of state again in a few weeks to meet with both our sons and family in NY. 
All the while tending the gardens.
Hope all is well with everyone.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/4/2016, 7:35 am

Goodness, Dunkinjean... You've been busy! No wonder we haven't seen you!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down