Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Toplef10Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  I22gcj10Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Toplef10Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  I22gcj10Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?

+8
kiwirose
Retired Member 1
CarolynPhillips
janefss2002
boffer
acara
GloriaG
Ha-v-v
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Empty Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?

Post  Ha-v-v 8/23/2010, 9:48 am

I ask this and I can answer it right now Shocked . No. lolololol This will be my first fall planting. I accidently, (well through not knowing what was what) planted fall crops last spring/summer :-D lolol cabbage and brussel sprouts. They didnt start growing until fall, well after I thought things were done. I found them amongst the weeds and was too pooped from summer time to baby them along.

So now for fall planting 2010 SFG style. I am in the midst of hacking tomato bushes (it is killing me really, I think thats why I put it off so long) I will be taking cuttings from these tomato bushes and these I hope will be more productive fruit wise with a different set up and pruning. I plan to use 1x6 or 1x8 boxes I cant remember for the next batch of tomatoes. I will take the existing 4x8 bed the tomatoes are in now for the bells that are shaded. I will just leave them and plant more. I do plan to have heavy cover for this bed. Ive lost one bell plant and that was due to a worm. I had so many habanero and more bells last year in the row garden. I wont mix tomatoes and bells again.

I have another 4x8 bed with basils and tomatoes in it. I will leave that one alone it will produce through fall Im so happy I have to do almost nothing !!!
A hug your bed moment for me there !!!

The two beds I did with Mels Mix in mind, one was store bought veggie mix and the other I mixed myself. These have the least weeds!! I love them and would hug them if I felt like laying down. I will save my hugging my beds when they are table tops. lolololol. Hey Ive hugged a washer when I got it:) long story another time. lolololol

I have one other bed that had soil from another source, it is full of weeds, I was planning on using it for the lettuces. Im mad at myself now for not covering it (lesson learned). Im not sure what Im going to do with that bed yet.
I had less weeds in my feaux sfg bed made with ash/peat moss and manure. The ash was beautiful, it was from the stumps from the trees cut for our house. I may use that area for the lettuces and brussel sprouts and brocolli. I will amend this feaux sfg bed with more compost, maybe some vermiculite I dont know yet, it is a nice soil that is still giving me butternut.

My real goal this fall season!! is to make my walk ways weed free, once winter comes it will be easier Im sure, so why am I fretting !!!! Weeds in the walk way do something to my brain. Especially when you have basils and tomatoes touching across the 3 ft aisles !! Can you say clean up on aisle 12? What a mess. My whole purpose for going with SFG was less weeds, less work and more "neatness" in the garden. Weeds are like having clutter when you need organization.
So I am so encouraged by the fall coming. I have never in my life felt a good feeling when fall came, I dont know if it was the back to school dreads or just the lack of all that sun. But this year I am encouraged into fall weather like no other !! Im so excited, gardening has always been therapy for me since starting the row gardening in 07, even when I only harvested one jalapeno Smile But there was no encouragement in it with weeds, and low harvest, using the heavy tiller to till up soil I would walk on and worry about where all the manure would come from to put on all that. SFG has changed all this for me.

Soo, Im not ready for fall planting completely but I am in my mind. I have some goals and ideas and even have help coming in a couple weeks!! What more could I ask for. The days will cool off and I can stay longer periods in the garden without wilting.
Here's to fall planting !!!

cheers
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1119
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Empty Anyone ready for fall planting?

Post  GloriaG 8/23/2010, 10:41 am

Well - I'm getting there. Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  88662

I've sketched out what I want the garden to look like and started moving my self-watering containers into place. I purchased a second SFG frame and will install it as soon as it cools down enough for me to move the Cannas that are in the way.

I planted spaghetti and acorn squash in self-watering containers and they look great and I'm slowly moving my herbs to a container garden so I can make better use of the SFG space for veggies.

I started my fall tomatoes and broccoli inside so they'd be ready when it's time to put them out. I also ordered garlic and onion sets and a mushroom log.

Since this is my first ever fall planting, we'll have to wait and see how it all works out.
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Empty Re: Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?

Post  Ha-v-v 8/25/2010, 8:14 am

GloriaG wrote:Well - I'm getting there. Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  88662

I've sketched out what I want the garden to look like and started moving my self-watering containers into place. I purchased a second SFG frame and will install it as soon as it cools down enough for me to move the Cannas that are in the way.

I planted spaghetti and acorn squash in self-watering containers and they look great and I'm slowly moving my herbs to a container garden so I can make better use of the SFG space for veggies.

I started my fall tomatoes and broccoli inside so they'd be ready when it's time to put them out. I also ordered garlic and onion sets and a mushroom log.

Sounds exciting, I think thats such a good idea to sketch out your idea. I always fill in the blanks later. What color Cannas do you have?
I love acorn squash too, Im still so new at learning what to plant when I wish I had planted my acorn later. I got two tiny ones Smile Im happy I got those though. I did well with butternut though. First time trying that and I really like the flavor too.
I like the idea of planting inside, some day I will have a greenhouse to do that, my neighbors dining room table in spring is something to behold!!! I love her house.
Mushroom log !!! I am so curious about that, I saw a farm that does sfg with something like that. They had a bed with logs and all sorts of mushrooms growing. Would love to know more, how you are able to keep spores from unknown mushrooms attaching themselves to the log things like that. I love mushrooms and thought that was the coolest idea.
Cant wait to see your garden
Ha-v-v

Since this is my first ever fall planting, we'll have to wait and see how it all works out.
Gloria
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Empty Anyone ready for fall planting?

Post  GloriaG 8/25/2010, 8:50 am

Ha-V-V

My Cannas are a little different, they have variegated red and green leaves and not much flower. IF they flower at all, it's a very small orange/red blossom. They are very tall, usually about 6-feet, and make a big showing in the landscape.

I bought my mushroom log from Lost Creek Mushroom Farm. Here's the link http://www.shiitakemushroomlog.com/

I wanted a kit for my first attempt because it came with everything I need; an inoculated log, water-bath tub and instructions. One of my friends made her own with Shiitake spores and has mushrooms regularly. She doesn't seem to have any trouble with "stray" mushrooms invading the log. Mine is scheduled to arrive today. I'll let you know how it works out.
Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Empty Re: Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?

Post  Ha-v-v 8/25/2010, 9:12 am

GloriaG wrote:Ha-V-V

My Cannas are a little different, they have variegated red and green leaves and not much flower. IF they flower at all, it's a very small orange/red blossom. They are very tall, usually about 6-feet, and make a big showing in the landscape.

I bought my mushroom log from Lost Creek Mushroom Farm. Here's the link http://www.shiitakemushroomlog.com/

I wanted a kit for my first attempt because it came with everything I need; an inoculated log, water-bath tub and instructions. One of my friends made her own with Shiitake spores and has mushrooms regularly. She doesn't seem to have any trouble with "stray" mushrooms invading the log. Mine is scheduled to arrive today. I'll let you know how it works out.
Gloria
Would love to see pictures of your Cannas they sound lovely !!!! I told my husband what I wanted for Hannukah/bday:) Mushrooms!!!
Thank you so much for the link
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/2/2010, 6:05 am

I'm ready .... or as ready as ignorant can be.

I have all my materials ready to build my first 4 x 4 box this weekend (and have allotted for the 5:3 project ratio curse).

Tenative plan is to go with store bought transplants for my first try;

Peppers, tomato, cucumber, peas, beans, cantalope, squash......just one or two of each, to see what they look like & how they grow.

I don't really expect to get any veggies with this being my first try & late planting ..... but I figured I'd gain some experience & knowledge before next spring.

So yes, I'm ready ....... for what...... I'm not sure
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/2/2010, 10:15 am

acara wrote:So yes, I'm ready ....... for what...... I'm not sure

That's what makes one's first garden extra fun: no expectations and no prior experience to duplicate. Just plant, water and wait. If it grows, it grows; if it doesn't, it doesn't. Simple.

I've tried to maintain that attitude, but I still get humbled now and then! Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 9/2/2010, 8:58 pm

Well, I planned and took today off to try to get caught up on my fall planting. We are about 2-3 weeks behind, but the temps here in the DFW area have been high 90's and 100's. We had a cold front go through yesterday and needed rain was to be finished last night or this morning. Well, it didn't.

So what would any other dedicated SFGner do under these circumstances? I donned a very ugly poncho and went after it. It rained, it sprinkled and on occasion it poured. The temps were in the 80's cheers ! It was glorious. I got 3 new 2X4 beds around our extended arbor planted as well as set up 5 Smart Pots for some squash and okra experiments. I only got rained out twice. So I used that time on the porch to sort and arrange some more seeds.

I regained a little of my dignity by going this afternoon for a scheduled hair cut.

Hope to finish up this weekend. Whew! It sure felt good to finally get a start. And the gentle parts of the rain were wonderful on my face Very Happy .

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/6/2010, 8:13 pm

I had several raised beds in the front yard---but it rained so much last year that I was
unable to tend to it --i almost needed a boat. So, I have been moving those beds to higher ground in the back yard. I only have two raised beds that have Fall crops in them.
the beds are not 4x4. They are actually 10ftx 32 inches.
I built them out of concrete blocks. They will last a very long time.
The cost of actually building a 4x4 bed with blocks is about $22.
But these 2 beds are raised 3 blocks high.---my other beds will not be so high up.

CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 778

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/6/2010, 8:17 pm

my first attempt to post a pic here at SFG

Raised Grow beds.

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  100_0183
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/6/2010, 8:23 pm

Very jealous ....wish I had that kind of space to work with.

Concrete block is definately the way to go (IMHO) ... cheap and durable.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/6/2010, 8:29 pm

beds filled with soil
cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower

I tried to send this pic earlier but i think something went wrong-
hope it doesnt post twice.
Will be sowing some turnip green seeds in these beds also.

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  100_0190
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/6/2010, 8:34 pm

welcome

It's looking good good job! If you don't put caps on top of the blocks, the holes are good for growing radishes, lettuce, beets, onions, strawberries and flowers.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/6/2010, 8:37 pm

Beware---I am a photo nut and a gardening freak.
I also grow tomato produce in a greenhouse for
Early Spring Sales (i need income to support my habbits of gardening)
----but I don't know if there is a place here
at SFG to post anything like that---is there?
For the first time---I am trying to grow tomato produce
in the greenhouse for Late Fall produce sales.
I use containers for early and late tomato produce so I can use
new soil for each planting. I then take the used soil and make a new
raised bed for SFG.

CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/6/2010, 8:39 pm

yep thats the idea i had too Boffer. and a few wave petunias too.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 9/7/2010, 9:41 am

I tried to seed broccoli and cauliflower in mid-August, but in spite of my "tried and true" methods that have worked in the past, only a few germinated, and those then dried and shrivelled up. I haven't seen any plants for sale locally, so I guess I won't be enjoying my favourite winter crop this year. Also seeded cukes, zucchini (3 kinds), and bush beans, and they are doing fine. Three tomato plants made it through the summer and are full of tomatoes, and most of the peppers, eggplant and okra are still producing. Later this month will seed swiss chard, collards, and turnips. The extremely hot weather really messed up my normal planting schedule. In the first 26 days of August, 25 were over 100 -- that's hot even by Texas standards!

I'm rooting a few tomatoes to hopefully grow in the greenhouse-to-be this winter along with herbs and maybe a zucchini. This will be the smallest greenhouse I've had so really don't know how it will work -- but nothing ventured nothing gained.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/7/2010, 10:22 am

belfrybat wrote: In the first 26 days of August, 25 were over 100 -- that's hot even by Texas standards!

I came across this a while back.

HOW HOT IS IT? - ODE TO TEXAS

The devil wanted a place on earth
Sort of a summer home
A place to spend his vacation
Whenever he wanted to roam.

So he picked out Texas
A place both wretched and rough
Where the climate was to his liking
And the cowboys hardened and tough.

He dried up the streams in the canyons
And ordered no rain to fall
He dried up the lakes in the valleys
Then baked and scorched it all.

Then over his barren country
He transplanted shrubs from hell.
The cactus, thistle and prickly pear
The climate suited them well.

Now the home was much to his liking
But animal life, he had none.
So he created crawling creatures
That all mankind would shun.

First he made the rattlesnake
With it's forked poisonous tongue.
Taught it to strike and rattle
And how to swallow it's young.

Then he made scorpions and lizards
And the ugly old horned toad.
He placed spiders of every description
Under rocks by the side of the road.

Then he ordered the sun to shine hotter,
Hotter and hotter still.
Until even the cactus wilted
And the old horned lizard took ill.

Then he gazed on his earthly kingdom
As any creator would
He chuckled a little up his sleeve
And admitted that it was good.

'Twas summer now and Satan lay
By a prickly pear to rest.
The sweat rolled off his swarthy brow
So he took off his coat and vest.

"By Golly," he finally panted,
"I did my job too well,
I'm going back to where I came from,
Texas is hotter than Hell.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Empty How hot is it?

Post  GloriaG 9/7/2010, 10:38 am

Boffer - LOVE the poem! It really describes this summer near Dallas.

Belfrybat - I was in Lowes' over the weekend and saw Broccoli, Cauliflower, lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, herbs and lots of other plants. Not a huge selection of each - but enough to make a decent fall garden. I started my Broccoli & cauliflower way to early so I have "plants" instead of seedlings and will use them as a fall-back if mine don't make it.

Of course - now that I put the Broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce plants in and seeded beans on Saturday we're having monsoon type rains today!

Throughout this first year I have found that SFG encourages one to be very creative. This morning I discovered that a Contractor size trash bag makes a WONDERFUL raincoat if you don't have anything else.

Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/7/2010, 11:21 pm

yes, loved the poem. I use to live in TX--near Houston and near Dallas
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 9/8/2010, 7:05 am

I am not sure if technically I am in LS or MS but I am on round 2 of my fall planting - round one had abismal germination of EVERYTHING except arugula - I started off blaming the seeds, but then I learned that seeds not only won't germingat in the cold, but if it is too hot for them, then they won't come to the party. I replanted 10 days ago and have marginally better success - it has just been so stinking hot for us at this time of the year (of course, not even clost to TX heat Shocked )- bar last weekend, it is being around 10F above average. I am crossing my fingers, resorted to buying some seedlings of cauli, broc and cabbage, and hoping for the best.
kiwirose

Female Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Empty Fall plants at Lowe's

Post  junequilt 9/8/2010, 1:41 pm

I have two scraggly little broccoli plants that have managed to survive the heat over the past several weeks, but they ain't happy. I did have several bok choi, but something came along and ate them (probably a grasshopper). So DH and I went to Lowe's over the holiday weekend looking for replacements. We wound up coming home with a 9-pack of red leaf lettuce and some Spanish onion plants.

Here's the thing, though: we really wanted to buy buttercrunch lettuce plants, and they had some for sale -- but the plants were already beginning to bolt! I don't understand why Lowe's would try to stick customers with lettuce that is inedible before you even get it in the ground. Caveat emptor, I guess.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/8/2010, 5:40 pm

Thats what I have is the Buttercrunch lettuce.---just 9 plants.
It is still too hot for me to put them out in the open beds. I have to grow them in
a large pot in partial shade on the deck (sadly)

I managed to get another bed built --added soil---added fertilizer below the surface.
sowed Turnip Green seeds. I have never grown Turnip Greens
in a square ft garden before. I put the seeds 9 per sq ft.

The newest bed is 4 x 10 concrete block - 2 blocks high

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  100_0201
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/8/2010, 5:43 pm

I spy a SFG! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3348

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/15/2010, 9:59 am

I got my other beds built ( 4x10 and the strawberry pyramid)

this evening I will be sowing more turnip greens, toy choy which is great
in salads and on sandwiches , Garlic bulbs, carrot seeds, AND--------
what about garlic chives. Aren't chives perennial? They won't rot during winter
will they? Can I sow chives now?
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?  Empty Lower South, Anyone ready for fall planting?

Post  junequilt 9/15/2010, 1:34 pm

Toy choi was what got eaten by something after I sowed the seeds outdoors. They weren't happy, anyway -- I think it was just too dadgum hot, no matter what Clemson says! Luckily I hadn't used the entire seed package. So I'm growing Toy choi seedlings indoors now and will transplant them in a couple of weeks. Same for buttercrunch. We also like mildly spicy additions to our salads, so I got a package of mesclun mix and have started those seedlings as well.

DH rigged up a neat lean-to shade apparatus for the red leaf lettuce seedlings we bought. We planted them where we had grown tomatoes, in the four squares right next to the trellis. Knowing the seedlings would need to be shaded, he used a black plastic garbage bag to create a lean-to, fastening it with clothespins to the trellis fabric (I forget how he anchored it on the other side -- will take photos tomorrow). We mist the seedlings every day using a hose attachment. The seedlings get bright indirect light and are happy as can be!
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next