Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Getting ready for fall Toplef10Getting ready for fall 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Getting ready for fall I22gcj10Getting ready for fall 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Getting ready for fall Toplef10Getting ready for fall 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Getting ready for fall I22gcj10Getting ready for fall 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Getting ready for fall

+12
thebarley7
southern gardener
darci.strutt
walshevak
CapeCoddess
elliephant
songstriss
floyd1440
Triciasgarden
RoOsTeR
GWN
Weedless_
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Getting ready for fall Empty Getting ready for fall

Post  Weedless_ 7/29/2012, 10:42 pm

Hubby and I went out today for our second batch of miracle compost to top off settled beds. I've finally pulled the damaged squash and burnt cucumber remains, and discarded, due to bacteria and possible remaining larvae. Also pulled dried out bean plants, laid them down into the bed and covered completely with the fresh compost. Mel's mix on top, and voila! we are ready for fall planting. The only thing that's still going in the garden is tomatoes - they are going through the hornworm phase, but still fighting.
I've acquired a few varieties of fall-worthy fancy lettuces and arugula. Also planning for long pole beans (japanese and chinese varieties), maybe still for pumpkins, though with the number of squash bugs we saw this summer, I think it may not have a chance.
I also want to try half-long carrots. Certainly radishes, beets, and maybe some herbs.
Hoping to get second batch of cukes. What do you think?
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Getting ready for fall Empty Re: Getting ready for fall

Post  GWN 7/29/2012, 10:49 pm

What do you think?
I would be impressed to get beans in the fall that were planted now.
But you are in a much warmer climate, I have just planted fall spinach and peas, that are starting to come up.
You sound like you are settling in to your new home well, and new climate (or is the climate the same?) I always think of pumpkins as a very long season plant.
But then again you may very well get it growing in time.

Too bad to hear about your cucumber and squash problems...
Janet Sad
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/29/2012, 11:05 pm

Fall is coming all to quick isn't it? Good luck with your fall crops!

Getting ready for fall Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/30/2012, 3:39 am

I have never planted a Fall crop before and for about a week I have been wanting to get out there and plant some seeds! It looks so bare out there! But Life and family keep me too busy and I can only do so much in a day. Some days barely anything. I am still having problems with ferrel cats burying little goodies in some of my nice soft beds. So far I have trapped 8 that keep getting into my fenced garden. There are 1-2 more at least. Animal Control comes and picks them up and relocates them. The next door neighbor and another one feeds them and it brings the cats from other areas of the neighborhood also. It's hard to plant seeds and then try to rig up something to keep them from digging up the seeds. I may try plastic forks with the prongs up in the air. How far do you think a cat will fly if it goes to squat and gets an good unexpected poke in its behind? Another funny thing to visualize, me carrying a cat in a rectangle cage. Cat running back and forth trying to find a way to escape and tipping the cage from one end to the other. It feels like my arm is being flung back and forth! I'm getting off topic, oops!

Weedless sounds like you will have a great Fall crop, good luck!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/30/2012, 7:26 am

RoOsTeR wrote:Fall is coming all to quick isn't it? Good luck with your fall crops!

Never grow fall crops either but planted some brocolli and cauliflower so see how it goes. But spinach would have been nice but the germination temperture is very low so how do people get it to sprout in the summer?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/30/2012, 9:42 am

It's very strange reading all these posts regarding fall planting. I read them and think I want to do that; what should I plant. My mind goes wild with ideas of lettuce and spinach, etc. And then reality hits. I can't do any kind of Fall planting not even indoors until September! It's still hot here well into October. Our first frost date is the end of December and sometimes not til January. So this is a blessing because I get a second chance at some of my failed attempts and plants that have given up because of the heat. I never done more than one summer crop before so this is great! Hopefully my zeal will last til it's time for Fall planting.
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/30/2012, 10:12 am

tricias garden
Have you tried the scare crow. I have one for deer and it is a motion sensor sprinkler, it sends out a strong spray.
Keeps deer out of my garden, and me sometimes Smile
songstriss, Where I am is not as hot as where you are, but it is still too hot here to grow peas or spinach, however my way of thinking is that most seeds have higher optimal germination temps than their optimal growth temp.
So I am banking on them taking a few weeks to get going and by then it might be beginning to cool off some.
From Janet who just got hit by the motion sensor sprinkler trying to sneak a strawberry cloudy-bummer
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 7/30/2012, 10:38 am

songstriss wrote:It's very strange reading all these posts regarding fall planting. I read them and think I want to do that; what should I plant. My mind goes wild with ideas of lettuce and spinach, etc. And then reality hits. I can't do any kind of Fall planting not even indoors until September! It's still hot here well into October. Our first frost date is the end of December and sometimes not til January. So this is a blessing because I get a second chance at some of my failed attempts and plants that have given up because of the heat. I never done more than one summer crop before so this is great! Hopefully my zeal will last til it's time for Fall planting.

We're hot here until October, too, and our frost window is mid Dec through mid Feb, although last winter we didn't have a single freeze. But looking at local sources I've found that my fall planting dates start in July. Until this year I've waited until October for it to cool off, but then seen local friends with great produce in Nov and Dec, having followed recommended dates. So this year I'm going to brave the heat and get out there and plant in the heat.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/30/2012, 3:18 pm

songstriss wrote:It's very strange reading all these posts regarding fall planting. I read them and think I want to do that; what should I plant. My mind goes wild with ideas of lettuce and spinach, etc. And then reality hits. I can't do any kind of Fall planting not even indoors until September! It's still hot here well into October. Our first frost date is the end of December and sometimes not til January. So this is a blessing because I get a second chance at some of my failed attempts and plants that have given up because of the heat. I never done more than one summer crop before so this is great! Hopefully my zeal will last til it's time for Fall planting.

Supposedly out first frost is in early October but with this odd weather it is hard to tell for sure as the last spring frost was MUCH earlier than predicted so one never know for sure
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/30/2012, 4:32 pm

GWN wrote:
Where I am is not as hot as where you are, but it is still too hot here to grow peas or spinach, however my way of thinking is that most seeds have higher optimal germination temps than their optimal growth temp.
So I am banking on them taking a few weeks to get going and by then it might be beginning to cool off some.

I've been planting seeds in the shade of other things. So far my peas, kale, broccoli, lettuce & mung beans have come up. Can't get the spinach to sprout to save my soul, and that's one I really want. I also planted turnips, kohlrabi & broccolini but they haven't sprouted yet either.

I really don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure I'm doing it too early. study

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/30/2012, 4:38 pm

I really don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure I'm doing it too early.
Well just keep doing it, it will eventually be right Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/30/2012, 9:33 pm

@CC

Now I am pretty sure that spinach does not germinate in warm soil. I know goes against the grain, but I checked the seed packed and they do best in cooler soil.

If I have room it won't be till September at least. Could be way off here but seems better suited for spring growing.........
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/30/2012, 9:47 pm

Do you think the spinach might sprout if started inside; maybe even chill the soil first. Just kidding about chilling, serious about trying to start them inside. Smile
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/30/2012, 11:24 pm

All that I planted last week has come up no problem
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/30/2012, 11:57 pm

I think I remember somebody starting lettuce inside during the summer because it will not germinate in hot soil. Give it a try, "it's only seeds".

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt 7/31/2012, 12:29 am

I've never done a fall planting either! This group inspired me and I've already planted some kale and spinach in a couple pots that currently are in the shade. I'm anxious to plant LOTS of greens though but it's still 90 here during the day - and I'm zone 4a! I pulled out an overgrown perennial bed and plan to fill it with lettuce, spinach, kale, and arugula this fall and add in herbs next spring. Seed packets are selling for 10 cents! Can't go wrong...right? We drink green smoothies daily so need a lot of leaves!
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt 8/24/2012, 12:26 am

It's coming along! My first ever Fall garden is showing promise!

Getting ready for fall P1010711
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/24/2012, 2:19 am

looking good for sure! We drink green smoothies every day too. Hoping our SFG performs this fall, and gives us lotsa stuff! Congrats on a nice looking start Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  thebarley7 8/24/2012, 8:36 am

Hi Darci, the garden looks promising. You did intrigue me with the mention of a green smoothie. Can you share the recipe? Always looking for a way to use some green vegs...
thebarley7
thebarley7

Female Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt 8/24/2012, 9:04 am

I've become a green smoothie fan thebarley7 and have lots of combinations. If you drink them every day it's important to mix what type of greens you use so the alkaloids from one type don't build up. That's why I plant a mix of greens. If you don't drink them often you don't need to worry about that. In general I mix:

1 banana
1 cup of a berry (or mix of berries - I like to freeze them)
2 cups of a green leaf (like spinach, kale, or leaf lettuce)
1 cup of ice
1.5 cup of water - or more to make it to your liking
Throw it in the blender in that order and work your way to the highest speed as it gets crunched up, then leave it at high for a minute or so to get it smooth.

Some mornings I throw an orange in to pep me up more. There are a lot of free recipes online and there's even free apps for your phone!

darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 8/24/2012, 11:08 am

CapeCoddess wrote:

I've been planting seeds in the shade of other things. So far my peas, kale, broccoli, lettuce & mung beans have come up. Can't get the spinach to sprout to save my soul, and that's one I really want. I also planted turnips, kohlrabi & broccolini but they haven't sprouted yet either.

CC

I, too, have had a problem with spinach (the crop I really want) germinating. However, I planted some a few days ago and they are sprouting. They are shaded a little by the growing green beans two squares away! Maybe now is the time (as I tried three earlier plantings without germination).
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 8/24/2012, 11:08 am

walshevak wrote:I think I remember somebody starting lettuce inside during the summer because it will not germinate in hot soil. Give it a try, "it's only seeds".

Kay

I tried starting inside, then I hardened off outside for a week. Looked good. Put it in a pot and the heat took them. So no luck with that method for me.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  bakermtb 8/24/2012, 4:42 pm

Darci
Your garden area looks great. To further your growing season (when it gets cold)you can put a heavy 6 mil clear plastic cover/frame over your garden and you should be able to grow well into Dec., if not longer.
Remember that if it gets hot inside your frame you will need to uncover your crops so they don't burn up. (It will get very warm under the plastic).
The colder it gets the slower the growth.
I started a fall garden last year and was picking veggies on Dec 31st in Maryland. GREAT!!
Page 71-74 in the ANSFG book discuss how to build a protetive cover. You will need to modify the process to fit your garden area but it should be easy.
Happy Fall Gardening and enjoy those smoothies!
Mike
bakermtb
bakermtb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt 8/28/2012, 9:35 am

I bought a cloth cover to put over the side garden if I need it, but decided to take your advise Mike and create a fall/winter box by building a frame. It will be interesting to see how long I can garden up here in the great-white-north. At the very least it gives the folk walking down our street something interesting to look at. The local garden shop didn't have clear plastic sheeting. Can I use painter's sheeting? Where do you get yours??

I am having a lot of fun experimenting this year!

Getting ready for fall 2012-010
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/28/2012, 3:03 pm

I planned on making a hoop cover just like yours, darci. I'm using clear plastic painters drop cloths. Don't know where they came from. The PVC is just stuck into the corners, right? If so, since I live is such a windy area, I'm wondering what's to keep the wind from catching underneath and lifting the whole thing right off? thinking I guess lots of rocks and a prayer.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next