Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 Toplef10Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 I22gcj10Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 Toplef10Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 I22gcj10Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tips for compost tumbler

+18
Dan in Ct
has55
OhioGardener
Kelejan
farmersgranddaughter
Roseinarosecity
Mikesgardn
BeetlesPerSqFt
68carguy
donnainzone5
SwampTroll
plantoid
trolleydriver
Scorpio Rising
yolos
Leone
sanderson
jimmy cee
22 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 Empty Re: Tips for compost tumbler

Post  OhioGardener 3/11/2022, 9:47 am

sanderson wrote: Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 3170584802  Those are righteous temperatures considering you have snow on the ground and they are tumblers.  Yeah microbes!

Meanwhile, the compost bin is 3 cu ft of ice!  Come on Spring!  bounce

Went out this afternoon to check the temp before turning the tumblers, and it looked a little better. Of course, checking the temp in a compost tumbler while it is snowing seems a little strange...

Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 Thermo14

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4468

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/11/2022, 6:00 pm

OhioGardener wrote: . . .Went out this afternoon to check the temp before turning the tumblers, and it looked a little better. Of course, checking the temp in a compost tumbler while it is snowing seems a little strange. . .
rofl Except to another gardener who composts.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/11/2022, 8:40 pm

lol! funny post

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawgwild 3/11/2022, 9:53 pm

OK..so I need a little more advice on a tumbler. I've read through this whole thread.

Trying to decide if I would use one, but did order a somewhat inexpensive one on Amazon...It is a 43 gallon Vivosun Tumbler and had decent reviews.

1. The one I ordered has divider capabilities and just not sure if I want to divide it into two separate compartments or leave that divider out when assembling it.
Guess it a personal choice but what do you think?

2. I have a couple of fair size compost going in my regular compost bins with a good mix of browns and greens and heating up nicely. Just reading through this thread it seems that some put a good bit more greens in their tumbler then turn to mix it up.
Am I reading that right?

3. Seems like most would turn every couple of days, or after adding more greens or browns as needed.

I do have an open metal shed I can put it under out of the rain, etc.

I do like that middle 88 gallon compost tumbler on the Mantis website so may go for it if I like this one. Heck. Amazon sells it for $309 and free shipping for prime members of which I am. Would be near $400 from Mantis

All advice will be appreciated especially about using or not using the divider.

Thanks,
Scottie

BTW: This is All wrong. It is right now snowing in northwest Louisiana...and only 10 days from last average frost date. March 21.  Shocked
Put a big plastic drop cloth over my brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower. Leaf lettuce, beets, and other plants would probably have been OK.
Hawgwild
Hawgwild

Male Posts : 101

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 3/11/2022, 11:12 pm

Hawgwild wrote:OK..so I need a little more advice on a tumbler. I've read through this whole thread.
It will be interesting to see how you do. The size is very small compared to what everyone here says you need for good compost. But maybe the ability to constantly tumble will make up for that. Hopefully yours will be strong enough. My plastic unit (different manufacturer) is pretty much useless. If you fill it up to a level where it can actually do any good, the sides start popping apart. I had to use bailing wire to hold it together.

The info-graphic on the Vivosun amazon site reminds you to not put electronic parts in the composter. Iphones aren't biodegradable -- who knew?

I would take a long look at those 1-star reviews for Mantis before buying. Lots of people mentioning rust and broken gears.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/12/2022, 4:45 am

Hawgwild, A couple guideline. 1. The bigger the volume, the hotter the compost. So, should you divide the chambers? 2. Composting takes time so every time something is added, the clock starts all over again. 3. Heat from compost comes from microbial activity. If the volume is good, the ingredients well balanced and moist, microbes do the rest. 4. It's fine to shed the composter from rain. I kept both the large bin and the 80-gallon tumbler in the shade under a couple of trees. 5. Screen the compost before using.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/12/2022, 8:54 am

Hawgwild wrote:OK..so I need a little more advice on a tumbler. I've read through this whole thread.

Trying to decide if I would use one, but did order a somewhat inexpensive one on Amazon...It is a 43 gallon Vivosun Tumbler and had decent reviews.

1. The one I ordered has divider capabilities and just not sure if I want to divide it into two separate compartments or leave that divider out when assembling it.
Guess it a personal choice but what do you think?

Especially with all thing compost, Size Matters! A small compost tumbler will not be effective since it cannot have enough mass to create the heat from the microbial activity. I have two Jora JK-270 compost tumblers, which I purchased for two reasons: 1) They are insulated, which is important in my northern climate; and 2) They are divided to allow me more choices in making compost.  It takes me about two weeks to fill a section with kitchen scraps and pine pellets. When a section is filled, I begin filling the second section. When the second section is filled, I begin filling the third section, and then on to the fourth section. All the while, the tumblers are rotated 5 times each day. But the time the fourth section is filled, the first section has completed composting, and is emptied. I start over filling the first, then emptying the second and re-filling it, etc..

2. I have a couple of fair size compost going in my regular compost bins with a good mix of browns and greens and heating up nicely. Just reading through this thread it seems that some put a good bit more greens in their tumbler then turn to mix it up.
Am I reading that right?

3. Seems like most would turn every couple of days, or after adding more greens or browns as needed.

Not sure you are reading that right. Every time greens are added to the tumbler, browns must also be added. Should have approximately twice as much browns as greens. If it is too rich in greens, it will end up stinky mush. I use pine pellets for the browns since I don't have enough other stuff. A lot of the contents of my compost tumbler is vegetable/fruit pulp from the juice bar, as well as coffee grounds. It takes quite a bit of pine pellets to offset those rich greens.

A compost tumbler must be turned every day. The key is to turn is slowly, not spin it, and to only turn it a few times so that it gently mixes the contents.

I do have an open metal shed I can put it under out of the rain, etc.

I do like that middle 88 gallon compost tumbler on the Mantis website so may go for it if I like this one. Heck. Amazon sells it for $309 and free shipping for prime members of which I am. Would be near $400 from Mantis

A tumbler should not need to be put inside a building, since very little rain can enter it. But, a consideration is that there will be some liquid that drip out of the tumbler, and if it is in a building it will need to have drip-tray under it.

For many years, I had an original ComposTumbler (from before Mantis bought the company), and it was an excellent tumbler.  It eventually rusted through and had to be replaced. I looked at the new Mantis tumblers for a replacement, and was very disappointed. They have really cheapened the quality, and greatly increased the price. Nor do they have the same design as the original one I owned. I ended up spending a little more money to buy a Jora, and loved it so much I bought a second one.

This is the one I bought (10% discount with Spring10 code:

https://compostingwarehouse.com/product/jora-compost-tumbler-270/

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawgwild 3/12/2022, 3:12 pm

Really appreciate all the replies and advice.... I'll use the one I have coming and not install the divider.

Fortunately Amazon has a good return policy so I'll keep the box and packing and send it back if I see an issue with it. Got 30 days to find out and we've never had an issue with returns to them.

If is do decide to get a better one I'll decide on the Jara or Mantis. Those Jara's are really nice though.

Thanks again,
Scottie
Hawgwild
Hawgwild

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 3/12/2022, 4:03 pm

I wonder if you could use a 55 gallon drum as a tumbler? Drill some holes for ventilation Roll it back and forth across a flat piece of lawn. Tip it upright for additions, water in between tumbles.

Not that 55 gallon drums are particularly easy to get anymore.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/12/2022, 4:48 pm

markqz wrote:I wonder if you could use a 55 gallon drum as a tumbler? Drill some holes for ventilation Roll it back and forth across a flat piece of lawn. Tip it upright for additions, water in between tumbles.

My best guess is that the barrel would quickly become too heavy to easily roll around, and would even be heavier to try to lift to add compostables. But then, I remember in engineering school we had frictionless bearings, so anything is possible.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawgwild 3/12/2022, 5:54 pm

markqz wrote:I wonder if you could use a 55 gallon drum as a tumbler?

That sounds like too much work..trying to get away from that... lol!
Hawgwild
Hawgwild

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2022, 8:46 pm

I found my 80-gallon Lifetime tumbler a little hard to turn.  Thank goodness for hand holds and gravity (my weight).Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 Compos57

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

mbsabre likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawgwild 3/17/2022, 9:34 pm

sanderson wrote:I found my 80-gallon Lifetime tumbler a little hard to turn.

A forum member, local to my area, sent me a pic of this same tumbler and I really liked it.  I call the Lifettime company  and was going to order one. Bummer.... out of stock and likely want have any more till latter part of this year.. Member had that tumbler for several years and no real issues.

Did an internet search and checked about 20 different companies and many listed on the Lifetime website...no luck

I had ordered an inexpensive one from Amazon. Got it and about halfway through putting it together realize it likely wouldn't last out the year. Pretty flimsy for sure. Boxed it back up and sent it back to Amazon..

Lifetime had a large dual tumbler....two 50 gallon drums....so ordered that one. Should have it tomorrow. 

Tips for compost tumbler - Page 7 Dual_t10
Hopefully this one will hold up for a while anyway. Still would like to have the other 80 gallon one..

Scottie
Hawgwild
Hawgwild

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/20/2022, 4:29 pm

Looking forward to your feed back. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawgwild 3/20/2022, 5:11 pm

sanderson wrote:Looking forward to your feed back. Very Happy
Should have it Monday afternoon and will post review asap..
Scottie
Hawgwild
Hawgwild

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawgwild 3/21/2022, 8:47 pm

sanderson wrote:Looking forward to your feed back. Very Happy

Going to have to wait another week...UPS came to deliver the tumbler but he showed me how the box was open on both ends and how he had been stuffing parts back into the box.

He was nice about things and ask if I wanted to refuse shipment. Thanks you and yes please send that mess back.

Re-order again and maybe have another try at it by end of week..

Scottie
Hawgwild
Hawgwild

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 3/21/2022, 8:53 pm

That's a disappointment.   Sorry for your loss. Sad
Soose
Soose