Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Bean carnage.... - Page 2 Toplef10Green Bean carnage.... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Bean carnage.... - Page 2 I22gcj10Green Bean carnage.... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Bean carnage.... - Page 2 Toplef10Green Bean carnage.... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Bean carnage.... - Page 2 I22gcj10Green Bean carnage.... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Green Bean carnage....

+9
littlejo
sanderson
CapeCoddess
yolos
BeetlesPerSqFt
Zmoore
CitizenKate
lyndeeloo
Bart
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Green Bean carnage.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Green Bean carnage....

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/9/2016, 10:38 pm

Oh, did not know that! Thanks, Kate! Where do ya get Sluggo Plus?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8805

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/9/2016, 10:49 pm

I got mine at a local nursery. The big box stores here don't have it.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/9/2016, 10:52 pm

Here you go - 
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Monterey-1-lb-Sluggo-Plus-LG6575/202043634

It is not sold in HD stores but they will ship it to your store for free for you to pick up.

Or Amazon -
https://www.amazon.com/Monterey-Sluggo-Pellets-Organic-Gardening/dp/B018YMPRQM/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1465527267&sr=1-3&keywords=sluggo+plus
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/9/2016, 10:56 pm

Thanks! Maybe my local nursery will get it or has it. I am not near a big store!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8805

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 6/11/2016, 8:09 am

I am going to have to use something else, they can't get Sluggo Plus in until June 21, all of my little plants will be gone by then. I have had one suggestion, some stuff from Bonide, Eight, it has permethryn in it. I do not like to use this type of thing, but I have lost just about everything. This is the most disappointing start I have ever had. Rock
BTW- everything I put inside a milk jug or plastic cup barrier has not been touched. I do not know why it works, but it does work, just not 100% of the time.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 437

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/11/2016, 2:18 pm

Rock, I'm probably suggesting what you have already tried - small garden or nursery stores? The Sluggo Plus is good because it takes care of slugs/snails without being a danger to pets like the old stuff that looked liked dog food. And, you know dogs, they will eat or try almost anything. When you do locate SP, buy 2 containers so you are ready for next spring. I guess another obvious thing you have tried is a good search and dispatch at night time. I feel your pain.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21603

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/11/2016, 3:51 pm

Rock, go to Ace Hardware and check out the EcoSmart products. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  Also, in the past I've used diatomaceous earth with great success and for some reason forgot about it this year.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GrowRunner 6/14/2016, 12:50 am

I'm going to ring in here and say that my biggest pest, year after year, has been earwigs, believe it or not, and I think they could be a very real possibility as they absolutely love beans plants, in my experience.  Once those first big huge leaves come out from the seed, the next day, those beautiful leaves will often look like lace, and if I don't go out that very night, the next day, the new bean sprout will be nothing but a poor looking little stub.  I have found that earwigs are especially attracted to beans, squash/cucumber plants, okra, rhubarb, and marigolds in my garden.  I have to to midnight patrols, which I'm still doing, almost every night after planting out any new transplants and when seeds start to sprout through spring and early summer.  I have a million pill bugs too, but I rarely catch them in the act of chewing on anything I don't want them to, and when I do, it's typically on the stem of a new seedling at ground level and not up in the leaves.

For the earwigs, I fill up a 30 oz spray bottle with some water and a few squirts of dish soap and with my headlamp on, I go out and gun down any earwig I see.  A squirt or two usually kills them off within several seconds.  I'm seeing less and less of them now, and that's when I know I can soon start sleeping through the night.  I do use Sluggo Plus a little bit here and there too, but it doesn't seem to hold back the earwigs and pillbugs as I still see them roaming around on it.  The pill bugs generally keep to the ground, while the earwigs still climb up on top of the leaves where they're caught in the act of having a feast of the leaves.  Next year, I'm going to start setting out some traps in each bed prior to planting anything in them, in hopes of getting a head start on minimizing damage from any of these veggie killers.

I also have problems with leafminers and my spinach every year. And I'm now seeing lots of baby little grasshoppers out in my garden when out on patrol and that has me worried as I haven't seen many in past years.  I've been spraying them down too, and they seem to die from it like the earwigs do, so I'm hoping that I'm putting a good dent in their numbers and don't see a huge number of adult hoppers as the year progresses.  I've also got an infestation of root weevils wreaking havoc on my strawberry plants, so I've been plucking hundreds of those off my plants at night and disposing of them.
GrowRunner
GrowRunner

Male Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/14/2016, 6:58 am

This article mentions ways to trap them: http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/garden/how-control-earwigs
Emptying a trap into soapy water might be more efficient than squirting them one by one (and result in less soap in the garden.) Some quick searching online suggests pillbugs will also eat oatmeal, so it may be a two-fer-one trap. I'll probably try it later this week in my covered beds. The cover (especially with any breeze, and there's usually at least a breeze) makes it hard to look for pests, and I know there are both earwigs and pillbugs in the tall one. Who knows, maybe I can cut down on the millipede population, too.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1433

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2