Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Advice needed Toplef10Advice needed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Advice needed I22gcj10Advice needed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Advice needed Toplef10Advice needed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Advice needed I22gcj10Advice needed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Advice needed

+4
AtlantaMarie
camprn
Scorpio Rising
Veggiesaurus
8 posters

Go down

Advice needed Empty Advice needed

Post  Veggiesaurus 4/4/2016, 7:18 pm

1st a little background: My wife and I are brand new to gardening so we are learning as we go. We have a small to average backyard so we decided to try SFG. We bought a copy of ANSFG and constructed our box. We planned out our entire years planting and already started some plants inside which are doing great. We will be using 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost. I wish we came across this site sooner, we have already learned a lot since visiting a few days ago. The problem we have is with the compost, 1 brand in particular (It was an organic compost with chicken manure). When we opened the bag its was very wet and clumpy. It smelled just like manure. Now being are 1st time using compost we didn't know that it wasn't supposed to smell like this until doing some research later that night. So we mixed it with 20% of our vermiculite and peat moss and loaded up the box. Now we did know it was really wet so we stopped after using all of the entire 1st compost to let it dry out a little. We did not mix the rest of our MM. we still have 80% of vermiculite and Peat Moss and 4 other kinds of compost (Mushroom, Black Kow, Shrimp and seaweed, veggie Organic Mix). We don't know what to do next. Is this safe to keep in our garden for us and the plants? The bag says completely composted. The bags were stored outdoors at our local store. Any advise on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
Veggiesaurus
Veggiesaurus

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/4/2016, 7:31 pm

Hi!  Welcome Veggiesaurus!  Love your moniker, lol!  So, is it fair to say that the chicken based compost smelled like raw chicken poo?  If it is mixed as stated and located in the bottom of the box, it may be OK.  Won't burn if buffered by the rest of the MM that you have the stuff to make, sounds like.  You are a lot better situated than I was, I had already planted last year when I found this site!  

Your biggest worry is nitrogen burn, so if you have a layer of MM or leaves, or whatever between your seedlings and the raw (?) chicken poo, it will give it time to mellow.  A layer of leaves would be great, and then your MM.  IMHO.  

There are many more experienced SFGers here.  Glad you found us!  From Ohio!  Where in PA are ya?  I am northwest, and it is COLD here tonight!  

glad you\'re here

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 4/4/2016, 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : A lawyer of leaves....no.)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/4/2016, 7:33 pm

My recommendation, if the chicken manure bag wasn't hot you're all set. My recommendation is to mix everything up and put it into the boxes you'll be fine. Be careful to measure you sphagnum peat after you have fluffed it up.

glad you\'re here to the SFG Forum!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Advice needed WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/4/2016, 9:46 pm

Hi Veggiesaurus. Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

I agree with Camprn - If the bag wasn't physically warm to the touch, it should be fine.

Warning - this is addictive stuff! :-)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/5/2016, 12:20 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Warning - this is addictive stuff!  :-)
I hope you are referring to SFG and not chicken poo Razz

Welcome Veggiesaurus. You have come to the right place for kind and helpful advice.

Regarding the chicken compost - I used black hen and it really stinks when I first open the bag but goes away once it's mixed in with the other components.

Good luck and keep us posted
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/5/2016, 12:30 am

glad you\'re here veggiesaurus happy hi 
from Kelejan :canada: in British Columbus.

As above, mix it all together and fluff the  peat as suggested by Camprn as the ingredients are measured by volume not weight.

You will enjoy eating stuff you grow yourself.  Somehow it just tastes better. hungry
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/5/2016, 3:44 am

veggiesaurus, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here I read your introduction again and I'm not sure I understand correctly. Did you mix all 5 of the composts together? Then add the mixture to the equal amounts of fluffed peat moss and vermiculite? It sounds like you added just the composted chicken manure to equal parts of PM and Verm and put that in the box. Were you going to repeat that process with each bag of compost variety?

Don't worry about the chicken manure because you will have 4 other sources of compost in the box. Do you mind telling us what the composts are? Even a photo of the bags? Other new gardeners have done this to make sure they are using good composts.

Let me put the measurements of products in a different way. Say you have 5 gallons of fluffed up peat moss. You will then add 5 gallons of vermiculite. Then you will add 1 gallon from each bag of compost for a total of 5 gallons of compost. Now you have a total of 15 gallons of ingredients to wet down and mix thoroughly. Dump in box and repeat whole process.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/5/2016, 9:09 am

Hi Veggie.....my humble advice to you
Learn composting your own as soon as possible. In my opinion compost is the heart of growing.Advice needed Compos14
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Veggiesaurus 4/5/2016, 2:35 pm

Thank you all for the quick replies. I now feel comfortable filling up the rest of our SFG.
Here is a view of our garden with just the questionable compost mixed with vermiculite and peat moss. Hopefully tomorrow we will finish mixing and filling with our MM.

Advice needed Sfg_st10
Veggiesaurus
Veggiesaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  Veggiesaurus 4/5/2016, 2:42 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:There are many more experienced SFGers here.  Glad you found us!  From Ohio!  Where in PA are ya?  I am northwest, and it is COLD here tonight!  

I'm in eastern PA about an hour north of Philly. Its been cold and windy here for the past few days. Can't wait for warmer days.
Veggiesaurus
Veggiesaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  Veggiesaurus 4/5/2016, 2:59 pm

sanderson wrote:Let me put the measurements of products in a different way.  Say you have 5 gallons of fluffed up peat moss.  You will then add 5 gallons of vermiculite.  Then you will add 1 gallon from each bag of compost for a total of 5 gallons of compost.  Now you have a total of 15 gallons of ingredients to wet down and mix thoroughly.  Dump in box and repeat whole process.  

Thanks, this is how we are planning to do the rest. We just did the 1st compost that way because it was soaking wet(you could wring it out) and very clumpy. We thought it might help to air it out a day or two in the sun. I will post pictures of the compost we are using soon. Thanks again for everybody's help.
Veggiesaurus
Veggiesaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/5/2016, 3:11 pm

Nice looking bed!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/5/2016, 7:02 pm

sanderson wrote:Nice looking bed!

Only in SFG Land!

https://www.google.com/search?q=comfy+bed&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=0aFXoZzOACgb5M%3A

It really is a great design!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/5/2016, 9:18 pm

Veggiesaurus wrote:
sanderson wrote:Let me put the measurements of products in a different way.  Say you have 5 gallons of fluffed up peat moss.  You will then add 5 gallons of vermiculite.  Then you will add 1 gallon from each bag of compost for a total of 5 gallons of compost.  Now you have a total of 15 gallons of ingredients to wet down and mix thoroughly.  Dump in box and repeat whole process.  

Thanks, this is how we are planning to do the rest. We just did the 1st compost that way because it was soaking wet(you could wring it out) and very clumpy. We thought it might help to air it out a day or two in the sun. I will post pictures of the compost we are using soon. Thanks again for everybody's help.

We thought it might help to air it out a day or two in the sun

Not a good idea, The suns rays will kill off any microbes living there and nullify that compost.
Understand, compost according to what I have learned is not about nutrients. It's all about the microbes that live within the compost. Once their in position in respective plants location they go to work providing nutrients for the plants. Nutrients collected by plants from microbes are more readily accepted by plants than fertilizer chemicals of which destroys all microbes.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/6/2016, 12:22 am

Veggiesaurus wrote:Thank you all for the quick replies. I now feel comfortable filling up the rest of our SFG.
Here is a view of our garden with just the questionable compost mixed with vermiculite and peat moss. Hopefully tomorrow we will finish mixing and filling with our MM.

Advice needed Sfg_st10
With that bed, your avatar name could be veg-E-saurus Smile

The MM looks really good...you can see the vermiculite and how loose it is.

Is there a particular reason for making that shape and having the 2 keyholes only 1' wide? I am thinking you will have a hard time getting in there to work, especially once plants start spreading their leaves.
You may want to consider a redesign before you fill it up all the way.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/6/2016, 1:19 am

ralitaco wrote:Is there a particular reason for making that shape and having the 2 keyholes only 1' wide? I am thinking you will have a hard time getting in there to work, especially once plants start spreading their leaves.
You may want to consider a redesign before you fill it up all the way.

Veggiesaurus, I didn't want to rain on your parade, but ralitaco has a good point. A U-shape with a 3 foot wide center key hole will make gardening so, so much easier. If you modify it now, before it is finished, you will never be sorry. Just a thought.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down