Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Toplef10Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea I22gcj10Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Toplef10Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea I22gcj10Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea

+13
Cajun Cappy
cpl100
CapeCoddess
p14shooter
Windmere
landarch
Kelejan
Zmoore
jimmy cee
sanderson
ralitaco
yolos
scruffyfeathers
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Empty Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea 2

Post  scruffyfeathers 3/25/2016, 7:09 pm

Used coffee grounds do store well. I mention this because there is a trick to collecting more than you actually need.  Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea 03251610

I am not a professional gardener so I read as much as I can on the subject. Last spring I learned that coffee grounds make excellent top dressing for your rows of veggies. They are supposed to repel things like snails and slugs as well as feed your earth worms.

Starbucks give the used grounds to gardeners for free. Great. But be forewarned, coffee ground vultures circle above any given Starbucks on a regular basis during the season. I don’t get downtown all that often but when I do I would stop by Starbucks only to learn the grounds had already been picked up. It was discouraging as the only coffee grounds that made it out to my garden came from our Mr. Coffee. We simply don’t drink enough to make a viable contribution to the garden so I kept putting them in my compost pile.

While out Christmas shopping last December I thought I would treat myself to one of Starbucks highly priced, weirdly named brews in one of their special holiday red and green cup. On my side of the counter was a bucket with three large silver bags of used grounds; just sitting there. The sign said FREE but each and every customer stepped by the invitation with little or no interest.

When it was my turn at the counter I asked if I could take one of the silver bags. “Take ‘em all” was the reply. The little Brewster explained that the store policy was that they had to set them out but in the winter time they accumulate to the point that they are collected after a few days and unceremoniously tossed into the trash. I smiled: “Fear Not, little Brewster, that problem has vanished”. With that I juggled the three silver bags and my silly-assed named brew out the door.

Up until mid March I have collected more than 800 pounds of used grounds for my garden. But alas, the vultures are beginning to circle once again so my daily bounty is beginning to diminish. Here’s my point fellow gardeners, if you are not a avid coffee drinker and easily discouraged by dry runs, GO DURING THE COLD WINTER MONTHS! The rewards are phenomenal! Starbucks may not believe in Christmas, but they had surely made my Holidays Happy.
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Male Posts : 83

Back to top Go down

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Empty Re: Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea

Post  yolos 3/25/2016, 8:24 pm

I found a Starbucks that puts their coffee in the large clear plastic bags.  Then they set these bags in a large garbage can with a top on the garbage can.  The garbage can is sitting in the same fenced in area that their dumpster sits.  If the coffee is not picked up by the gardeners, the trash people pick it up when they empty the dumpster.  You can just drive right up next to the dumpster area and take as many plastic bags full of used coffee grounds as you wish.  Another Starbucks I used to go to had those silver bags in a small trash can inside the store.  It was always empty but if you went in around 10 am after the crowd was gone, ask at the counter and they will give you their plastic bag they keep under the counter.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Empty Re: Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea

Post  ralitaco 3/25/2016, 8:53 pm

I don't drink coffee but now that I am making compost, I may have to try going by starbucks to get some.

As for your nighttime bug hunts, if the culprits are hornworms, my attire of choice is shorts and t-shirt covered by a giant yellow rain poncho...
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1303

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/26/2016, 2:06 am

Scruffy, Thanks for the winter tip. Makes sense. We have 3 Starbucks near our home and summer time it is hard to beat the other gardeners.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21603

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/27/2016, 9:43 am

I'll walk into our local Starbucks with a hefty cloth shopping bag on my shoulder, they love to see me, as all they do is dump the grinds in the bag and I'm off. No need to meticulously fill those bags with the grinds.
True, sometimes others beat me to it, however, much better that the garbage dumpster.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  scruffyfeathers 3/27/2016, 1:26 pm

sanderson wrote:Scruffy,  Thanks for the winter tip.  Makes sense.  We have 3 Starbucks near our home and summer time it is hard to beat the other gardeners.

Maybe someone here can give me their opinion on the coffee grounds. I topped all my rows with a light coating of compost and then scattered a healthy supply of grounds above that. A local gardener told me I put them on too soon and should have waited until the seeds sprouted. It’s not that I doubt him, I would just like to get other opinions.

I still have several hundred pounds left so if need be I can sprinkle them again when they will best serve their purpose. If nothing else, this time around at least I may keep my worms happy.
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/28/2016, 8:17 am

I have quite a pile of coffee grinds, I only use them in my compost piles as I turn them over.
I really don't think tossing on the surface of plants wil harm anything, however, I am not certain on that..many folk do and will continue.
I did read somewhere about coffee grinds are devoid of acid, given up in the brewing process, then I read there is acid is grinds...kind of confusing so I am just doing what II feel is best.Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Compos11
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Empty Coffee Grounds

Post  Zmoore 3/28/2016, 11:10 am

Nothing new, just thought this was cool.  I've been getting coffee grounds from Starbucks and have just been picking them up "in the back" in a plain plastic garbage bag.  Now they have started packaging the grounds in a fancy silver bag with a label "for gardening" and placing at the front door right where you come in.  Just kinda cool I thought.

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Starbu10
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 223

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/28/2016, 11:20 am

It does their image a world of good. Very Happy 

No coffee grounds from my local Starbucks as it is located inside a Safeway store and they do not allow Starbucks to give away their used coffee grounds due to health and safety Mad

Very hard to get a regular supply in my small town.  Nothing from Subway even though I am a regular customer there; the workers started letting me have some but after three days the owner stopped it.  Boycott?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6009

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 3/28/2016, 11:32 am

last I checked there were over 50 Starbucks within a 30 minute drive from my house...about half are grocery or Target locations that don't give away grounds.

I have about 10 or so that I can cover on a time efficient route on Saturday or Sunday and end up with garbage bags full of grounds.  Several stores have the small sliver give-away bags up front...but I like half-full garbage bags from the locations that crank out coffee in big time volume.

And as if there weren't enough Starbucks, another just opened about two minutes from our house...low volume with silver bags out front.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 3/28/2016, 11:36 am

Kelejan wrote:It does their image a world of good. Very Happy 

No coffee grounds from my local Starbucks as it is located inside a Safeway store and they do not allow Starbucks to give away their used coffee grounds due to health and safety Mad

Very hard to get a regular supply in my small town.  Nothing from Subway even though I am a regular customer there; the workers started letting me have some but after three days the owner stopped it.  Boycott?
Kelejan, that is awful!  My Starbucks (stand alone) is very happy to give me their grounds.  I just tell them three days in advance so they can accumulate some and then the call me to pick them up. 

I'm very surprised about your difficulties because most businesses want to get on the eco bandwagon.  Do you drink coffee yourself?  We drink a lot, so we can also get small supply that way.  One thing I think about though:  We drink an organic coffee from Cuba.  Also, even though Starbucks does not have "officially" organic coffee, they've told me that their coffee is pesticide free.  Hopefully that is accurate. 

You reminded me to order some from my Starbucks though.  Thanks for that.  Smile
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1422

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/28/2016, 11:53 am

You're welcome, Windermere, for the reminder.

I also used to get veggies from our local Kootenay Market for two years, until the local Health and Safety chimed in. At least that is what they said.  I really believe it was because it was too much trouble as now the City have taken over composting and make their own and use it for themselves and now and then make some available to the likes of us. But I really like to make  my own compost from ingredients I believe I can trust.

I think that maybe from the point of Health, it was perhaps that the veggies they threw out  were in fact edible provided they were picked it over, and because some of the packages, e.g. blueberries, were only just past their sell by date and they were afraid people would eat the stuff and sue them if they became sick?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6009

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  p14shooter 3/28/2016, 2:05 pm

I work for a grocery chain.  Yes, there is a small health and safety reason why we do not give away our waste to individuals.  If they were to consume them (or try to sell them ((it has happened)) and something was wrong, then we are on the hook.  However a major factor is our job security.  When we start to allow people to take away for free, or next to free, then the unsavory employees will start to put the good stuff in with it hoping they will not get caught which will inevitably happen and then we have to terminate them.  That and it is too hard to control if we have multiple people coming in daily to get stuff.  We do give generously to the local food banks product that is not able to be sold, but is still good to eat.
p14shooter
p14shooter

Male Posts : 97

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/28/2016, 2:56 pm

Do the Dunkin Donuts give their grounds away?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  p14shooter 3/29/2016, 12:21 pm

is there such a thing as using to much coffee grounds in the compost or am I just being silly
p14shooter
p14shooter

Male Posts : 97

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2016, 9:07 pm

plantoid wrote:Last time I went to Starbucks or possibly a  Costa place here in South Wales UK ( Most likely the final time methinks ) for a cup of disgusting tasting  very much over priced sludge
My taste buds agree with your description.

" Fantastic garden & plant pot compost  material "
            Only £ 3.50 each " 

That's about $5 .00 USD  , you guys over the pond get them for free.
Ouch

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Empty Free Grounds.

Post  scruffyfeathers 3/30/2016, 9:50 am

plantoid wrote:Last time I went to Starbucks or possibly a  Costa place here in South Wales UK
Hey Plantoid,

In lieu of paying Starbucks you may be able to check with fast food places or local, but busy restaurants that serve breakfast. I have three side by side on one street. The problem is they do not separate the grounds from paper trash. Here, if I go right after the morning rush it works to my benefit with minimal trash sorting. I typically call all three first and they do set them aside but the trash sorting is still up to me. Wink
scruffyfeathers
scruffyfeathers

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 3/30/2016, 5:20 pm

I would like to know this also.  Thanks for asking.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/30/2016, 5:36 pm

Using carbon to nitrogen ratio, coffee grounds are a 14:1, a green.  Green defined as less than 30:1.  Browns are over 30:1.  So you would need to add enough browns to bring the number to 25-20 as good, 20-30 as okay. This calculator is fun to play with.

http://klickitatcounty.org/SolidWaste/fileshtml/organics/compostCalc.htm

Last edited by sanderson on 3/31/2016, 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add the link)

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea Empty grounds

Post  sanderson 3/30/2016, 5:40 pm

For coffee grounds, don't forget churches that serve coffee after services, weddings, misc. meetings.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 3/30/2016, 6:05 pm

I am so country boy and non garden geeky I prolly shouldn't post here but alls I know about coffee grounds is i put em in our garbage pile(I dare not call it compost) in the same place all the time.  That makes digging worms very easy since they love it.  One shovel full turns up 20 or more fat worms plenty to use to catch supper. As far as Ph or nitrogen or etc value I aint got a clue but coffee grounds are wonderful worm bait which is wonderful fish bait which is wonderful ot add to the garbage heap and the wheel goes around. Cool
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 656

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/31/2016, 9:07 am

sanderson wrote:Using carbon to nitrogen ratio, coffee grounds are a 14:1, a green.  Green defined as less than 30:1.  Browns are over 30:1.  So you would need to add enough browns to bring the number to 25-20 as good, 20-30 as okay.  This calculator is fun to play with.

Thanks for this calculator. I will be doing some intensive studying with it..
Nothing in my entire life time has ever given me such a learning challenge as this c / n mix ratio.
I do plan on mastering it, although, my compost seems to be doing nicely.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/31/2016, 12:32 pm

bump

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Coffee Gounds and Coffee Ground Tea WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/31/2016, 1:04 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
sanderson wrote:Using carbon to nitrogen ratio, coffee grounds are a 14:1, a green.  Green defined as less than 30:1.  Browns are over 30:1.  So you would need to add enough browns to bring the number to 25-20 as good, 20-30 as okay.  This calculator is fun to play with.

Thanks for this calculator. I will be doing some intensive studying with it..
Nothing in my entire life time has ever given me such a learning challenge as this c / n mix ratio.
I do plan on mastering it, although, my compost seems to be doing nicely.
Sanderson,what a wonderful tool. JC-I agree. we'll figure it out someday--over the rainbow.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/31/2016, 1:14 pm

has anyone try making compost tea from coffee ground or soaking it to get the liquid nutrients pulled out for feeding the plants?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next