Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? Toplef10I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? I22gcj10I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? Toplef10I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? I22gcj10I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 20:32

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Today at 20:31

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Today at 20:22

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 20:14

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 8:22

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 6:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 6:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun 7 Apr 2024 - 8:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 4:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what?

+4
Wyldflower
titans01
backpackermike
jlmiller
8 posters

Go down

I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? Empty I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what?

Post  jlmiller Thu 6 May 2010 - 11:03

Hi, all! I am new to Square Foot Gardening and am working on my first 4x6' raised SFG! It is beautiful and functional, and aside from requiring a LOT of bags of compost (the bed is 12" deep), it has been a joy to work in!

So, here is my dilemma...all of my seeds are sprouting nicely, but I definitely put a generous pinch of seeds in each hole rather than the required 1-3 per hole. Now I have a LOT of sprouts and am unsure what to do with them. The carrots, lettuce, spinach and onions are the issue - should I thin all of them down to one main sprout? The carrots, onions and spinach are about 1" tall; the lettuce is 1/2".

I would appreciate any suggestions from the group!
jlmiller

Back to top Go down

I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? Empty Re: I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what?

Post  backpackermike Thu 6 May 2010 - 12:11

I would cut all the sprouts but one. It is hard to cut the plants but it will be worth it when every thing starts to grow.
backpackermike

Male Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? Empty Re: I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what?

Post  titans01 Thu 6 May 2010 - 12:14

Personally I would just go ahead and thin them. Although you could wait a little bit and eat the thinnings then. It's really up to you.
titans01

Male Posts : 122

http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower Thu 6 May 2010 - 13:02

I think it's probably best to thin the carrots and onions, since it's the root (or bulb) that you want to develop. I have my onions planted 16 per square, but I'll be thinning them to 9 per square through the spring - I can use the green onions early and let others grow to full size. Carrots will probably grow all weird and stunted if you have them too close together, so I'd thin them right away to the ideal distance.

The lettuce and spinach? I'll be thinning mine as I harvest fpr my salads, so I think they would be okay to leave and thin as you use them (harvest occasional whole plants rather than a few leaves from each plant).
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? Empty Too many seeds and sprouts!

Post  jlmiller Sat 8 May 2010 - 6:17

Thanks everyone for the advice! I decided not to anything with the lettuce and will just harvest the outer leaves as they mature. As for the spinach, I did thin them to 2-3 plants per hole and am hoping that I can do the same thing as with the lettuce. I thinned the onions to 2/hole and will go back and take them to 1/hole. As for the carrots, their sprouts are very fragile, so I thinned them to about 3/hole and will thin them to 1/hole after they grow just a little bit more (so I can get a good handle on the one I want to pull out without pulling out the whole thing). Since this is my first garden, I am just glad to see ANYTHING coming up, and will be so glad when it comes to harvest time!
jlmiller

Back to top Go down

I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? Empty this will prove what a newbie I am...

Post  larthur Sat 8 May 2010 - 10:05

I only planted one seed per hole.... oops. I just planted last night should I go add to them? It's my first garden LOL.
larthur

Back to top Go down

Post  jerzyjen Sat 8 May 2010 - 12:12

If this is your first garden then I assume you just bought your seeds. You will probably be ok with one per hole with new seeds because you should have a pretty good rate of them germinating. Thats my 2 cents. Last year pretty much EVERYTHING sprouted, this year with the same seeds i have noticed a slight decrease in all the seeds germinating but still most of them are sprouting right up.
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  michaelweber77 Sat 8 May 2010 - 15:54

This is my first year gardening as well. I planted three carrot seeds in every hole, and every single seed sprouted! After the carrot plants grew to about 1 1/2", I took a pair of scissors and cut the extra plants right at their base. I also pulled some the extras (roots and all) to give to another gardener. I now have exactly 16 carrot plants per square foot. About a week and a half after thinning, the remaining plants seem to be thriving.

I planted too many seeds in each hole - now what? Cimg1311
michaelweber77

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Sat 8 May 2010 - 20:17

I am thinking that 4+ lettuce plants sprouting out of one hole is not going to yield any greens. You are likely to have 4 crappy stunted lettuce plants rather than some early greens and then a full plant. I could be wrong - a bit of a habit with me.

I think what people are saying is if you want 4 plants/sf and you plant 12 - but not all in the same hole then you have some early greens for thinning. If you have 4, 5,6,7 seedlings coming out of the same hole - I would not expect more than 2 at a time to thrive. My point - it they are sprouting out of the same hole - thin them to no more than 2, preferably one.

Am I reading the dilemma correctly?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down