Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another new Canadian kid on the site Toplef10Another new Canadian kid on the site 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another new Canadian kid on the site I22gcj10Another new Canadian kid on the site 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another new Canadian kid on the site Toplef10Another new Canadian kid on the site 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another new Canadian kid on the site I22gcj10Another new Canadian kid on the site 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Another new Canadian kid on the site

+3
Kelejan
sanderson
trolleydriver
7 posters

Go down

Another new Canadian kid on the site Empty Another new Canadian kid on the site

Post  trolleydriver 5/4/2015, 10:10 am

Hi folks from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Last summer I bought Mel's book and collected all the ingredients for Mel's Mix.  But that is as far as I got.  I'm now planning to build one or two 4x4 boxes and give it a try.  I'll keep a big part of my "traditional" vegetable garden going this year. 

I have a concern about keeping the SFG irrigated while we are away for one or two weeks at a time.  This has not been a concern in the past with the traditional garden but I think it will be with only 6 inches of Mel's mix in the boxes.  I expect the solution will be some kind of automated drip irrigation system or a hope for rain while we are away.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Another new Canadian kid on the site Empty Re: Another new Canadian kid on the site

Post  sanderson 5/4/2015, 12:17 pm

TrolleyDriver, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here Congrats on finding all the ingredients. Can you share where you found them to give other folks ideas? Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Another new Canadian kid on the site Empty Re: Another new Canadian kid on the site

Post  Kelejan 5/4/2015, 12:43 pm

trolley driver, I have posted a welcome on the Canadian Region thread.

Kelejan from Canada :canada:
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/4/2015, 1:19 pm

Here are my sources for the ingredients I am using:

[*]Mushroom, sheep, cattle manure, one other ... garden centres at big box stores (e.g., Cdn Tire)
[*]Composted horse manure ... my neighbour owns a horse
[*]Sphagnum Peat Moss ... garden centre at big box store
[*]Vermiculite - (this one was not so easy) ... found large bags of coarse vermiculite at Ritchie Feed and Seed in the East end of Ottawa

Note: For some reason the webiste for Ritchie feed and Seed is not online at this time. Sad  I have not visited the store this year but if I have more than one 4x4 box I'll need more vermiculite.  So hopefully they will have it again.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/4/2015, 5:01 pm

This afternoon I thought I would check out my old plastic composter. I put stuff in it last year (e.g., grass clippings, clumps of grass and weeds, harvested vegetable plants, flower plants, etc.). There was about a six inch layer of uncomposted vegetable matter and below that it was all compost which smelled good and broke up nicely when picked up. I was able to fill a large garbage bin with the composted material.  Now I know that this material also includes some soil from my garden.  I would like to mix this compost in with the other five composted items that I mixed together earlier today.  

Should I be concerned about contaminating my Mel's Mix with my composted material that includes some garden soil?  

Should I be concerned about asking too many stupid questions?
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/4/2015, 7:58 pm

First, thank you for listing where you found your ingredients. Yes, I see Richie's website is "under construction" but could you find the phone # and address for our international data base? Thank you.

Second, the only stupid question is, yep, you got it, is the one not asked. Especially on this Forum.

My vote is that your compost does not contain enough garden "dirt" to be a concern. It will be further diluted once it is mixed with the other composts, peat moss and vermiculite.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/4/2015, 8:54 pm

Thanks Sanderson.  Here are the coordinates that I could find for Ritchie.  They also have an outlet in Stittsville (west Ottawa) but I'm not sure if they sell vermiculite. If I get time I'll check it out.

Ritchie Feed & Seed
1390 Windmill Ln
Ottawa, ON
K1B 4V5
Phone: 613-741-4430  
Fax: 613-741-604

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/5/2015, 3:02 am

Trolley, Thank you. I have forwarded to be entered in the International Data Base (home page). What does K1B 4V5 mean? Is that like a zip code here in the States?

Two more questions, what size bag and do you remember, or can you call them, for the price?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/5/2015, 7:34 am

K1B 4V5 is the Canadian Postal Code.

I'll have to check on the size and price.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/5/2015, 8:24 am

Just called Ritchie Feed and Seed.

I was told their Vermiculite is about 3 cubic feet and costs about $29 (Canadian dollars) per bag.  

The person I spoke to asked me if I was using it to mix in soil. He said I probably want medium rather than coarse. He said the new coarse pieces are 1 to 1.5 inches and are used for insulation whereas the medium pieces are finger tip size.

Last year I bought coarse and it seems to be about the right size to me. So now I'm confused (nothing new) as to what to buy. Maybe I'll buy some medium and if it is too small I'll mix it together with my coarse. I'll take a small amount of my coarse with me and see what he says. 

By the way, who said this was going to be easy?  I am thankful there is a place not to far away where I can purchase vermiculite.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Another new Canadian kid on the site Empty Welcome and Thanks

Post  Razed Bed 5/5/2015, 9:04 am

I have a new friend with twin daughters attending Vanderbilt living near you across the border in Gatineau, and I am going to forward this information to her in hopes she will be inspired to plant a garden this year instead of spending the entire summer in basketball gymnasiums.

Good luck with your new garden.  I imagine where you live, you should have smashing success with greens, and greens ounce for ounce are the best thing you can eat fresh from a garden.  Lacinato kale should be the new food of the gods.  I can eat it for breakfast.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/5/2015, 9:36 am

Hi Trolleydriver.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA.  Glad you've joined us!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/5/2015, 9:44 am

Here is some information from the bag of vermiculite I bought last year from Rithcie Feed & Seed.  I think/hope it is good for gardening.

Envirofil Vermiculite Insulation
19 lbs 8.62 kg

Made by VIL Vermiculite a Division of Perlite Canada Inc.

Loose fill, all natural, non abrasive, non toxic.

The main use shown on the bag is for insulation purposes.

A note on the bag but in mcuh smaller font states other uses such as BBQs, composter, garden, mulch, dog houses, bulb and root crops.

Given that I am assuming it is safe for the SFG.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/5/2015, 9:50 am

Razed Bed ... There was an article in the December 4, 2014 Ottawa Citizen newspaper concerning the twins you mentioned.  

I tried to post the link but got a message stating new members are not allowed to post external links for 7 days.

The title for the article is "Gatineau basketball twins taking Vanderbilt by storm."
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Another new Canadian kid on the site Empty That's the girls

Post  Razed Bed 5/5/2015, 10:05 am

The Caron-Goudreau twins are incredible student-athletes, but only Audrey-Ann played this year.  Unfortunately, they have decided to transfer from Vanderbilt, so I will not be seeing the family any more.  It was quite interesting talking with them.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/5/2015, 12:04 pm

Another UPDATE on Vermiculite in Ottawa.

I just got back from Ritchie Feed & Seed.  I bought a 4 cu.ft. bag of "large" vermiculite for $25.99 Cdn plus tax. They tried to sell me medium size but I insisted on the large. 

The pieces of vermiculite look the same size as what I got last year. We also bought some other things (plants, seeds) which allowed me to use a $10 off coupon for purchases over $50. I printed the coupon from the Valpak online website.

Unlike last year's bag of vermiculite which I bought from the same store, this bag does not mention using it for insulation but very specifically states that it is a "natural soil conditioner. The brand name is Holiday Vermiculite but it is made/distributed by the same company as last year, that is VIL Vermiculite.

By the way, it seems that the Ritchie's person I spoke to earlier today on the phone was not really aware of the package size (he said 3 cu ft), actual cost (he said $28-$29) or vermiculate particle size (he said large was 1 to 1.5 inches). So it's always best to go to the store and check for yourself.

I hope this information will be of value to SFGers in the Ottawa area.

I need to get going on my boxes, so I will be looking for (most likely purchasing) wood this afternoon.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard L. 5/5/2015, 12:38 pm

Trolleydriver,
here's what it looks like 
https://servimg.com/view/19216854/2

https://servimg.com/view/19216854/1

Let's hope it does the job
Richard L.
Richard L.

Male Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/5/2015, 2:05 pm

Richard ... that's the same Envirofil Vermiculite I bought last year.  I would like to add some worm castings to my compost but so far no luck finding it.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/7/2015, 10:27 am

Thanks everyone for the welcome.  From now on I will be posting primarily in the International Canada section of the forum. See you there!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/7/2015, 1:26 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Thanks everyone for the welcome.  From now on I will be posting primarily in the International Canada section of the forum. See you there!

You do not have to post completely in the Canadian thread Trolley, as there are many special threads that are open to all.  Very Happy

I would be interested how other members feel about this?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/7/2015, 1:34 pm

Understood Kelejan.  I just thought it would be better if I keep my posts primarily (not exclusively) on the Canadian thread during my build and planting phase. Cheers.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/7/2015, 4:07 pm

Kelejan wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:Thanks everyone for the welcome.  From now on I will be posting primarily in the International Canada section of the forum. See you there!

You do not have to post completely in the Canadian thread Trolley, as there are many special threads that are open to all.  Very Happy

I would be interested how other members feel about this?

+1 Post away any where your heart desires.  I like a particular subject to be all in one thread and not spread around the site based on region.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down