Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
new member from land of the outdoor convection oven Toplef10new member from land of the outdoor convection oven 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

new member from land of the outdoor convection oven I22gcj10new member from land of the outdoor convection oven 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
new member from land of the outdoor convection oven Toplef10new member from land of the outdoor convection oven 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

new member from land of the outdoor convection oven I22gcj10new member from land of the outdoor convection oven 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:17 pm

» Hello from Land of Umpqua, Oregon Zone 8b
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:14 pm

» Hello everyone!
by SFGHQSTAFF 10/24/2024, 3:22 pm

» Senior Gardeners
by sanderson 10/23/2024, 6:09 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 10/23/2024, 5:59 pm

» Hello from South Florida
by markqz 10/23/2024, 10:30 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by Scorpio Rising 10/22/2024, 8:50 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by KiwiSFGnewbie 10/19/2024, 6:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 10/18/2024, 3:09 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

new member from land of the outdoor convection oven

5 posters

Go down

new member from land of the outdoor convection oven Empty new member from land of the outdoor convection oven

Post  melanielundin 12/27/2013, 1:57 pm

My son is home for holiday and wants to put in a garden for me. I am intimidated because plants and I do not speak the same language. It gets to freezing here in the winter and hot, hot, hot in the summer and it is always windy.
melanielundin
melanielundin

Back to top Go down

new member from land of the outdoor convection oven Empty Re: new member from land of the outdoor convection oven

Post  sanderson 12/27/2013, 3:17 pm

First - Welcome to the Forum!   glad you\'re here  This is the perfect place to find lots and lots of help to learn Plant language.

I am jumping up and down being so excited for you. bounce bounce  Your son wants to build you a garden??  Go for it.  SFG (Square Foot Gardening) is the perfect way for a beginner to start growing vegetables.  I promise you!  Have you read the book All New Square Foot Gardening?  A must read (and must have).

Don't even worry about freezing winters and scorching hot summers.  There are several of us in California, Nevada and Arizona that garden under those conditions.  The only things we don't grow are bananas and coffee?  We are here to help you through the process.

I know others will jump in and welcome you.  I am going to post a couple of photos to get your son started.

Basic box from FREE 2" x 4" scrap studs from a home construction site.  Always get permission from site manager.  The interior dimensions are 2' x 4'.  Others have 4' x 4' boxes while others have LONG boxes like 4' x 10'.   I like a depth of 2 feet because of the ease of reaching each plant.  You only need two layers making it 7" high.  My 3 layer boxes are 10 1/2 " high for looks in certain spots in the  back yard.  These are bottomless and are set on top of weed fabric on top of the native dirt. :
new member from land of the outdoor convection oven 100_6210

Here are 1' x 3'  small boxes tucked here and there in my back yard made from 8" cedar fencing board.  They have bottoms with holes drilled per ANSFG instructions.  These sit on top of 2" rocks or cement pavers around the house foundation.  They are all elevated to discourage termites:
new member from land of the outdoor convection oven 100_6211

new member from land of the outdoor convection oven 2_new_11

Termite damage when the 1 x 3' boxes were set on the dirt around the foundation of the house.  Hence, all of them are now perched on rocks of double layer of cement bricks or pavers:
new member from land of the outdoor convection oven Termit11

If your son has time, go ahead and install some cheap trellises per ANSFG instructions.  The metal electrical conduit pipe comes in 5' and 10' lengths.  I started with 5" but quickly realized that they were too short.  So I changed them out for 10' cut down to 8."  sort of a compromise.  Photo shows an original 5' trellis plus white PVC frames that can be removed, dismantled and stored.  I covered the boxes with plastic during our hard freeze.  Will also be great for shade relief during our heat waves.  Note the wood chips I use as Mulch to conserve water year around and keep the roots cool during the heat waves.
new member from land of the outdoor convection oven Frames20

Now, if your son is still home and wants one more thing to do, he can help make your Mel's Mix!  

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you.  It's just that when there is a strong male, things are built so much faster!  Bless your son.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21624

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

new member from land of the outdoor convection oven Empty Re: new member from land of the outdoor convection oven

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/27/2013, 4:02 pm

What will help you a great deal is to mulch deeply with wood chips (see the Back to Eden gardening post in non-SFG section for details)  Link here: quarefoot.forumotion.com/t13233-back-to-eden

This will keep your plants roots cooler and help avoid water evaporation.  

You may also want to use a shade cloth over the tops of your boxes.  You can find the shade cloth at your local Home Depot or Lowe's or you can find it online.  You can use a heavier weight/higher shade version.  Just like you don't like the sun beating down on your, your plants will enjoy a bit of shade.  

Read through the older posts here on the site.  Use the search box to  put the kind of search terms that will give you a more targeted read.

Oh!  And WELCOME!!!
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

new member from land of the outdoor convection oven Empty I love pictures

Post  melanielundin 12/27/2013, 5:01 pm

My son is a visual learner so this is really going to get him started right. Thank you everyone
melanielundin
melanielundin

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/27/2013, 6:24 pm

Be sure to check out the regional forum "southwest deserts" for more pictures and ideas. Shade cloth will be your best friend.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/27/2013, 7:15 pm

WELCOME!!! We LOVE pictures, so you will find lots of pictures on the forum to give your son ideas. You will not regret taking him up on his offer!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down