Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
moved our beds - Page 2 Toplef10moved our beds - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

moved our beds - Page 2 I22gcj10moved our beds - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
moved our beds - Page 2 Toplef10moved our beds - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

moved our beds - Page 2 I22gcj10moved our beds - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

moved our beds

+30
CapeCoddess
lyndeeloo
HDMama
Pappy Slip
GWN
AtlantaMarie
wife1mom2
Windmere
Triciasgarden
llama momma
Goosegirl
audrey.jeanne.roberts
TLAT1270
Kelejan
kauairosina
keepercjr
mschaef
ETNRedClay
walshevak
FamilyGardening
camprn
melanielundin
boffer
jmsieglaff
jimmy cee
Marc Iverson
Turan
sanderson
donnainzone5
southern gardener
34 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

moved our beds - Page 2 Empty Re: moved our beds

Post  southern gardener 12/31/2013, 11:49 am

sanderson wrote:SG,  Excellent photos to show how they're made.  Much nicer looking than chicken wire.

Thank you sanderson. I like that they're free standing. We put shade film over the top and pin with clothes pins for protection to plants in the summer, easy peeezy!
We have small birds here that actually fit THROUGH the chicken wire! They devour the seedlings. I don't know why we have so many of them in our yard. Our neighbors don't have a problem, but we sure do, and these have really helped.
The hardware cloth is sort of pricey, but it's a one time investment really. We've had some of these for years, and they look just like the day we made them!
Happy new year everyone!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  melanielundin 12/31/2013, 9:58 pm

I am so glad SG that your reply posted to my email. Wonderful clear pic's. My husband appreciated that. I just bought 16 bags of sfg soil. We will probably do beds like you have. Will work on finding out about seeds which looks like a popular subject right now. Thank you for going out in your garden in the dark, though my sister in law in Ramona says the weather is beautiful.
melanielundin
melanielundin

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 12/31/2013, 10:38 pm

melanielundin wrote:I am so glad SG that your reply posted to my email. Wonderful clear pic's. My husband appreciated that. I just bought 16 bags of sfg soil. We will probably do beds like you have. Will work on finding out about seeds which looks like a popular subject right now. Thank you for going out in your garden in the dark, though my sister in law in Ramona says the weather is beautiful.

Oh, you are quite welcome. I know when I want to do something, I wanna do it "now" lol. Yes, we have beautiful weather most of the time here. Had a few nights of frost a few weeks ago, but now, it's been really nice for days! Little windy, but can't complain. Would REALLY like some rain tho! Please let me know if you need more pics or explanation, but it's pretty simple really, just make your sides as tall as you want, we used 6" side because that's how it worked out. Did you buy the pre made Mel's Mix or bags of compost etc?
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/6/2014, 12:59 pm

Hi there, I was wondering if you ever got your covers made for your beds? If so how did they turn out?
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/7/2014, 1:04 am

thanks for sending me this way SG  Very Happy some how I have missed this thread  Embarassed 

love the covers on your beds!! and  cheers  your garden is beautiful!

the hardware cloth is what hubby has been trying to find.....we want to use it for our chicken run and for some critter protection in some of our beds along with using it as a chicken play pen in our garden beds.....then cover it for fall plantings and early spring......what you did with covering your beds is exactly what we want to do.....love it!

hubby cant find any at places like home D and L'os but...he has only been looking online we have not been to the store yet to check it out.....

is the stuff you used called just hardware cloth? and where should we be looking for it?....and please tell me its not toooo spendy.. What a Face ...eeek.....we really need it for the chickens!....hubby said if we are going to have chickens then nothing is going to get them.....we have lots of problems with raccoons, opossums and rats  pale 

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/7/2014, 1:16 am

I got mine at Lowes. In the same area as the chicken wire. And yes, it does cost more.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/7/2014, 1:32 am

thanks Kay....we will go check it out  Very Happy 

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/7/2014, 1:56 am

FamilyGardening wrote:thanks for sending me this way SG  Very Happy some how I have missed this thread  Embarassed 

love the covers on your beds!! and  cheers  your garden is beautiful!

the hardware cloth is what hubby has been trying to find.....we want to use it for our chicken run and for some critter protection in some of our beds along with using it as a chicken play pen in our garden beds.....then cover it for fall plantings and early spring......what you did with covering your beds is exactly what we want to do.....love it!

hubby cant find any at places like home D and L'os but...he has only been looking online we have not been to the store yet to check it out.....

is the stuff you used called just hardware cloth? and where should we be looking for it?....and please tell me its not toooo spendy.. What a Face ...eeek.....we really need it for the chickens!....hubby said if we are going to have chickens then nothing is going to get them.....we have lots of problems with raccoons, opossums and rats  pale 

happy gardening
rose

Glad you found it Rose. They sell it on Amazon in larger rolls. It is sort of expensive, but it works!! And, as I said it really lasts. A 100 foot roll 3' wide is about $120, so not CRAZY expensive. We like it because it stands up all by itself, and looks nice and neat Smile As far as your chickens, SOMETHING has killed all of our chickens for the SIXTH time! We are in the midst of re-doing our pen AGAIN. We think it was raccoons but are not sure?? So frustrating.  
Below is the link for Amazon, and honestly it's cheaper than Home Depot, at least around here, and it was free shipping a while back. All we could find at the big box local stores were shorter rolls, and Amazon has the BIG rolls. We did find a hardware store that carried the big rolls, like at Amazon and ended up buying it there, but paid more, but we wanted it right away Smile

Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hardware+cloth&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahardware+cloth

Thank you for the kind comments on our garden. We are getting excited about the results with the BTE method. It's a lot better than it was, but not "great"....yet Smile Our garden out front with the pig manure is "great"  lol!!  God bless and keep us updated!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/26/2014, 5:00 pm

Little update here. We just topped off all our beds with about 2-3" of homemade compost! Took about one year to make it all, but it's SO beautiful! The beds look so nice and dark brown. Hoping it sifts down through the wood chips and feed our beautiful garden, and some rain would be awesome!!

moved our beds - Page 2 Sfgcom10
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/26/2014, 5:20 pm

That is absolutely beautiful !!!
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/26/2014, 7:57 pm

jimmy cee wrote:That is absolutely beautiful !!!

+2
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/26/2014, 8:53 pm

Thank you  Cool Embarassed Very Happy moved our beds - Page 2 370856013 moved our beds - Page 2 998388915 moved our beds - Page 2 998388915 
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/26/2014, 10:36 pm

your garden looks so lovely, wish I lived closer and could take a walk thru with you  Very Happy 

your homemade compost does look like dark gold!!

im soooo envious  Embarassed  of your weather!!

thank you for sharing pictures with us.....it keeps me going thru our cold days!!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

moved our beds - Page 2 Empty Hardware cloth cages

Post  ETNRedClay 1/26/2014, 11:44 pm

LOVE the pictures.  Have a question:  how do you plan on storing the cages?  Will they be on the beds forever and ever always?  Do you have a place to put them when you want to  plant something taller in the beds?

I've got this issue with my cold frames that fit over my SFG beds... I didn't have a good place to store them after the cold weather turned scorching, and now they got mucked up with grass clippings on the stapled-on row cover.  I can replace the row cover.  But I'm trying to come up with a better solution for storage of garden things when they are out of season.

(And I have a 3'x100' roll of hardware cloth I didn't know what to do with -- I have been inspired by your pictures!  Thanks!)
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/27/2014, 12:03 am

ETNRedClay wrote:LOVE the pictures.  Have a question:  how do you plan on storing the cages?  Will they be on the beds forever and ever always?  Do you have a place to put them when you want to  plant something taller in the beds?

I've got this issue with my cold frames that fit over my SFG beds... I didn't have a good place to store them after the cold weather turned scorching, and now they got mucked up with grass clippings on the stapled-on row cover.  I can replace the row cover.  But I'm trying to come up with a better solution for storage of garden things when they are out of season.

(And I have a 3'x100' roll of hardware cloth I didn't know what to do with -- I have been inspired by your pictures!  Thanks!)

Hi ETN, that's a good question. I HATE clutter! They are rigid enough, that we can stack them 4 high without them collapsing. They may go even higher?? So, we have an area that we stack them. I also "hang" them on the top of our chain link fence. The top of chain link has lots of "spikey things" hanging out the top, and these hang on them really nicely. That's actually my favorite place. We originally only made enough "covers" to cover 1/2 of our beds, because I didn't think I'd ever need to cover them all at once, but after this successful gardening season we needed that many! We have 12" deep garden beds, and the soil is probably about 9" deep? So, with the 6" covers, the plants can grow to about 9" tall before they actually touch the covers. Does that make sense?
If you have 100' of hardware cloth make one for one of your beds and see if you like it! We really like ours. You can cover the covers with shade cloth or whatever you want to use for insulation too, they really hold up nicely.
We don't leave them on forever (and ever lol) if you look in the above post with my instructions, those are the same beds that are shown below with the flowers. I just took the covers off once the plants can take some "pecks" from our nasty birds! lol. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  ETNRedClay 1/27/2014, 12:21 am

Answered all my questions!  I'm eying my tinsnips thinking, it's the middle of the night, and my neighbors are used to seeing me up at all hours outside in subzero temps with the latest project... how bloody would this project be in the freezing dark....
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/27/2014, 12:26 am

ETNRedClay wrote:Answered all my questions!  I'm eying my tinsnips thinking, it's the middle of the night, and my neighbors are used to seeing me up at all hours outside in subzero temps with the latest project... how bloody would this project be in the freezing dark....

just do it!! lol!! how wide/long are your beds? Once you get your "pattern" they go pretty fast!! I wanna see them!! lol
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 2/5/2014, 12:27 pm

Here's a pic of our garden this AM. We are finally getting some cooler weather, and the poppies and bees are so happy! Getting broccoli, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, carrots, beets, spinach, collard greens, peas, and the potato plants are looking nice and healthy!!

moved our beds - Page 2 Panoga10
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/5/2014, 1:23 pm

SG, This photo is from a different view than the "blue chair" gift photo, so I am getting a nice panoramic idea of your garden. I'm really liking it!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 2/5/2014, 2:41 pm

Sanderson, yes, this is a different view. The blue chairs are in the same place, just a different view. The right side of the pic is the North side of our garden, with 22' of 1' wide trellis, the rest are mostly 2x8 garden beds, with a few 4x8 Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/7/2014, 1:51 am

SG love the new view of your garden!!

in the upper right hand corner there looks to be something covered up....a tree stump? a grill?....I was thinking if its a tree stump...its pretty big around and maybe you have or are going to do something cool with it  bounce 

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 2/7/2014, 11:15 am

Rose, you have good eyes! Yes, it's a big pepper tree stump. There is a table top on it, it's hard to see. I use that area to harden off my seedlings. Right now, some of my garden covers (talked about those earlier) are on top of it. God bless!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/7/2014, 3:47 pm

Yes, good eyes. I just noticed the metal poles on the left side of the boxes. What are those used for?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/7/2014, 5:23 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:...in the upper right hand corner there looks to be something covered up....a tree stump? a grill?....

I put on my strongest cheaters, and it still looks like a pile of covered firewood to me!   Razz
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/7/2014, 5:31 pm

Boffer, Don't feel bad. I thought it was a pile of large boulders. Maybe time to get new prescription for me.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next