Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad Toplef10Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad I22gcj10Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad Toplef10Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad I22gcj10Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hurricane
by sanderson Today at 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad

+4
mollyhespra
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
unit649
8 posters

Go down

Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad Empty Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad

Post  unit649 7/18/2013, 11:05 pm

Some of my heirloom Tommy Toe tomato volunteer plants developed Septoria Leaf Spot.  I treated those with a hydrogen peroxide in water solution which seems to have helped.  Then some more of those same plants that were potted but pretty close to the original ones, started getting a few of the same symptoms.  I had found a few aphids on the first ones, so I decided to try baking soda on these.  I combined 1 tsp baking soda, a squirt of dawn detergent, 1 tsp of cooking oil in a quart bottle of water.  I sprayed this plant with that solution.  The next morning all of the leaves were looking black on the edges and curling.  
The first picture is a comparison of before and after treatment.  Bummer.  What did I do wrong?
Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad Imag0014

The second pic shows some tiny plants that never really got started, and were almost dead. I am not sure what was wrong with those.  They were in compost only and I do see some wood bits.  I treated those with aspirin, powered and put in a spray bottle with water.  The difference in those are amazing.  I have new green growth.
Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad Imag0015
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 175

Back to top Go down

Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad Empty Re: Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad

Post  CapeCoddess 7/19/2013, 10:34 am

Maybe it was the 'squirt' of Dawn. When I make the bkg pwdr spray I use about 3 or so drops of Ivory per qt just to make the stuff stick to the plant. I only use a 'squirt' or tsp if I'm going after insects, then I only spray the insect and not the plant.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad Empty Re: Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad

Post  unit649 7/19/2013, 11:30 am

CC, thank you. What is your formula?
Madge
unit649
unit649

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/20/2013, 2:22 am

I've read that most commercial "soaps," including the ones you use for washing dishes, are not really "soap" but "detergent." Soap being fine for plants and detergents being harmful. How to tell if a product on the shelf is soap or detergent, I haven't read. Only "don't use detergents."

So I'm at a bit of a loss there. Only recently have I seen anyone specify in a thread, such as mentioning Ivory. Ivory ... liquid hand soap, I guess? Body wash? Not sure.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3637

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 7/20/2013, 8:36 am

Unit649, I have similar leaf burn on some of my plants from the baking soda, dish soap (dawn), water & oil concoction, though not all. The cucurbits didn't seem to mind the spray at all while the peppers did. I only sprayed the stem of the toms, so I can't say whether the leaves would have looked like yours or not.

I'm guessing it's the dawn, also. Maybe some grated ivory bar soap, mixed with some water to soften & liquify? I think I'll try that & post on the results. I have some Ivory bar soap somewhere.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 7/20/2013, 9:58 am

marc, you are right. I looked at my dawn and it is ultra dawn, and does say detergent.

mollyhespra, I have some Ivory soap, so I will try that also. My mixture did not affect all of the plants that I sprayed either. Even though they were all tommy toe tomatoes, just the first ones that were potted, which were also the first ones that I sprayed. So maybe they got a more concentrated dose. I don't know.

But I won't be using the rest of that mix.

Madge
unit649
unit649

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/20/2013, 11:52 am

I believe that the reason for adding it to the solution is to reduce the surface tension. Insecticidal soap spray is meant to be used on bugs, not a plant treatment. With the few drops of dish soap/detergent that is used in making the solution and if it is limited to spraying bugs, there should be no overall trouble with the plants. Do not use it to treat soil surface.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/20/2013, 1:41 pm

I haven't used any soaps in the garden, but I believe 'castile soap' is frequently mentioned as the go-to soap for use in the garden. It's vegetable based.

http://jack-rosarian.blogspot.com/2013/03/got-castile-soap.html

Google 'castile soap in gardening' for more info.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/20/2013, 1:50 pm

boffer wrote:I haven't used any soaps in the garden, but I believe 'castile soap' is frequently mentioned as the go-to soap for use in the garden.  It's vegetable based.  

http://jack-rosarian.blogspot.com/2013/03/got-castile-soap.html

Google 'castile soap in gardening' for more info.
Avoid the peppermint variety unless you want veggies minty....... or so I've read......Shocked 

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 7/21/2013, 12:38 am

My damaged Tomato plant is hanging on, which I am surprised at since it looked so bad.  So I made up the aspirin treatment and applied it to the damaged plant tonight.  Crossing my fingers that it helps this plant recover.  It has some tomatoes on it that I would love to harvest.
Madge
Aspirin, baking soda treatments, the good & the bad 20130729
unit649
unit649

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/21/2013, 1:32 am

I would keep up the fight Madge!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1633

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/21/2013, 7:14 am

Madge, another thing you could try is filling up that half full container with some good compost, homemade if you have it. The tomato will put out more roots and get more all around nutrition and become more robust.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 7/21/2013, 7:29 am

I have seen baby shampoo recommended for this use. It is very mild.

And one of my neighbors in the garden does use Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap. It's a pure castile soap that comes unscented as well in peppermint and lavender versions. Some Targets carry it but it's pretty pricey. Check the trial size section to see if they have small bottles.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down