Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed Toplef10Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed I22gcj10Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed Toplef10Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed I22gcj10Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed

+4
camprn
llama momma
jimmy cee
Windmere
8 posters

Go down

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed Empty Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed

Post  Windmere 10/1/2013, 11:07 am

Hello all,

I have been doing some research regarding planting garlic. I came across some recommendations from Organic Gardening:

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/how-to-plant-garlic?page=0,0

Has anyone tried this method of soaking two hours before planting? 

Let me know you thoughts  Smile
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed Empty Re: Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed

Post  jimmy cee 10/1/2013, 12:05 pm

I've done everything in this link except soak in baking soda,
my garlic has always been excellent.
However cant see where it would hurt to try it.
Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed June_210
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed Empty Sounds good

Post  Windmere 10/1/2013, 12:10 pm

Thanks for your reply Jimmy.  I might try this with just a few cloves and see if there is a difference.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed Empty Re: Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed

Post  llama momma 10/1/2013, 12:38 pm

I planted a box of garlic this past weekend.  The baking soda/seaweed mix might be great but I haven't used it.   Last year mine were planted in straight mel's mix with very good results.  This year the cloves were planted in heavy manured mel's mix that also has a compressed layer of old manure underneath.  Garlic loves manure. In the planting hole went extra compost with an addition of worm castings and azomite.  This was total overkill but it was my choice.  Trying to see if I can grow super monster size garlic.  Wink
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed Empty Nice

Post  Windmere 10/1/2013, 12:44 pm

llama momma,

I like the way you think.  I also planned on adding lots of compost to my MM.  Nice to hear someone else doing the same thing.  Thanks for the input!
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/1/2013, 2:32 pm

I have not done any of these things, except mulch with dried leaves, and I have great garlic.

I do clear the MM of al summer roots and debris. I do use at least a wheelbarrow full of compost in the 4x6 and I do mix it in before planting on or about Hallowe'en.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 10/1/2013, 6:54 pm

Well, as they say... if it ain't broke don't fix it.  If I had some liquid seaweed on hand I'd be more inclined to try it just for fun. I most definitely will be using more than average compost.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/1/2013, 9:34 pm

Windmere wrote:llama momma,

I like the way you think.  I also planned on adding lots of compost to my MM.  Nice to hear someone else doing the same thing.  Thanks for the input!
Your very welcome.  I do love Mels Mix since it was the reason my first year garlic grew a lot of jumbo size bulbs. Several were close to 3 inches in diameter and it was rather thrilling.  So I want to see if it's possible to grow even larger ones.  If anyone wants large bulbs then try to get hold of German Red, its a hard neck variety that is suited for growing in northern states.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/2/2013, 7:47 am

My French farmer pal says only use big bulbs for the planting cloves as there appears to be a strong genetic link to producing big offspring.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/3/2013, 6:08 am

Also, German Red is a variety that produces large bulbs to begin with, along with easy to peel cloves.  This is a hot variety when eaten raw, buttery rich flavor no heat when baked.  I love this variety.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  SalsaMom 10/4/2013, 2:21 pm

Last fall we put out a pound each of three different varieties, in three different standard SFG beds.
Nothing special and the garlic came out GREAT!

Talk about a no-brainer crop!  Just put it in there in the fall and it takes care of itself!

I am in middle TN and it even came through our wet winter with no problems.

I too have heard to hold back your biggest cloves and plant them the next year - if you keep doing that you are supposed to get bigger and bigger cloves all around from one harvest to the next.
SalsaMom
SalsaMom

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 11/15/2013, 6:22 pm

I planted my garlic 2 weeks ago in MM, and they already have 4"+ stems. A year ago bagrada bugs ate them!

I planted organic garlic that I bought at the grocery store.

Is there a way to tell if you have soft neck vs hard neck garlic? 

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/15/2013, 6:34 pm

AvaDGardner wrote:I planted my garlic 2 weeks ago in MM, and they already have 4"+ stems. A year ago bagrada bugs ate them!

I planted organic garlic that I bought at the grocery store.

Is there a way to tell if you have soft neck vs hard neck garlic? 

Ava
http://groworganic.com/organic-gardening/articles/growing-garlic-whats-the-difference-between-softneck-and-hardneck-varieties
Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed Softneck-hardneck-470x188

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Planting Garlic - Soak in baking soda and liquid seaweed WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 11/15/2013, 6:40 pm

Very cool!

But then I'd have to cook with a lot of garlic to find out...sacrificing a head and all!

Thank you!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/15/2013, 7:08 pm

AvaDGardner wrote:Very cool!

But then I'd have to cook with a lot of garlic to find out...sacrificing a head and all!

Thank you!
.... when you pulled the cloves off the grocery store garlic for planting, was there a stalk left in the middle when all the cloves were gone? If so, that was a hardneck variety. If no, then it was softneck.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/18/2013, 10:57 am

AvaD, When you bought the organic garlic and pulled off a couple of cloves on one head, did you notice a stem in the center?  If so, it's one of the hard necks; if not, it's a soft neck.  With the rocambole types of hard necks, the stem is very obvious at the top of even an unseparated head of garlic because the stem/scape is relatively large and quite hard, as shown in CampRN
post.  When next you go to a farmers' market and see garlic, ask the growers.  They'd love to teach you about their garlics: taste, both cooked and raw; what you can expect in storage life; what varieties do best in your area; ways to use a whole head of garlic (like roasting and using the cooked pulp spread on bread like vegan butter); etc.  Most garlic growers become passionate about their crop and want to spread the word.  Let us know how it goes.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down