Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Beans Toplef10Green Beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Beans I22gcj10Green Beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Beans Toplef10Green Beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Beans I22gcj10Green Beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by sanderson Today at 3:39 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Green Beans

+14
walshevak
Marc Iverson
WriterCPA
mollyhespra
southern gardener
Lemonie
Lindacol
GWN
Turan
mschaef
brainchasm
Goosegirl
boffer
ETNRedClay
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Green Beans Empty Green Beans

Post  ETNRedClay 6/2/2013, 1:11 pm

First year with GB, and I don't know what I like, so I bought a BUNCH of different kinds of beans. I'll find out:
1) what germinates (Baby Gourmet has a LOW germ.rate I can tell you that already)
2) what grows well in my conditions
3) what I like the TASTE of
4) what freezes well (if there are any leftovers)

I planted 5/5, 6/1, and will continue 7/1 and 8/1 -- just to see (Pinto in first two plantings because they take so long)

Types of GB
- Stringless Green Pod (50d)
- Tenderpod (50d)
- Derby (53d)
- Tendergreen Improved (53d)
- Contender (55d)
- Kitchen King (55d)
- Harvester (55d)
- Blue Lake Bush (58d)
- Blue Lake Bush 274 (58d)
- Baby Gourmet (60d)
- Cherokee Wax (65d)
- Pinto (85-90d)
- Scarlet Runner
- Rattlesnake

I want to try some colors, too, because I already learned that finding green pea pods among green pea leaves is a trail YELLOW, RED, and PURPLE bean pods among green leaves sounds so much nicer.

I don't intend to grow all of these every year. But I've never done this and I found a lot of 20c and 50c seed packets, so it's an inexpensive experiement.

Any of these above that you love or hate? Any suggestions for further experimenting?
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Green Beans Empty Re: Green Beans

Post  boffer 6/2/2013, 1:29 pm

I'm not familiar with most of your list, so apologies if this is redundant.

I'm partial to a Romano green bean called Helda. They're flat, and fit into canning jars nicely.

I agree that finding green beans on green plants is difficult. My wife and I have developed a habit where we follow each other when harvesting. She'll make the first harvest, then I come along to harvest the same plants. Or visa versa. We find that we miss a lot of beans on the first harvest.

My favorite trellis is an arch type made from re-inforcing wire. The beans literally hang down for easy picking; no searching required.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/2/2013, 2:11 pm

I do the Tenderpods every year, germinate and produce very well for me. Also planting Scarlet Runners this year and will see how they fare.

Another 'colored' bean pod you might want to try is the Dragon's Tongue. They have had very good germination and production for me as well. When ready to pick they are a pale greenish yellow with purple stripes. However, it has been my experience that these are no easier to see hanging in the dense bean underbrush than greenies!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/2/2013, 5:07 pm

Goosegirl wrote:I do the Tenderpods every year, germinate and produce very well for me. Also planting Scarlet Runners this year and will see how they fare.

Another 'colored' bean pod you might want to try is the Dragon's Tongue. They have had very good germination and production for me as well. When ready to pick they are a pale greenish yellow with purple stripes. However, it has been my experience that these are no easier to see hanging in the dense bean underbrush than greenies!

GG
Good to hear someone had good luck with Dragon Tongue, they're so cool-looking!

I planted an entire square (nine plants) with soaked seeds, and dosed with nitrogen-bacteria sprinkles into each hole...got a whopping two plants out of it, and both looked yellow and terrible. They tried to die, but I wouldn't let them. Now they're trying to not thrive, so we'll have to work on that. But so far, for me, Dragon Tongues have been a bit of a disappointment and a sore point in my first year.

(it is very possible I oversoaked them...we'll see)

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/2/2013, 5:20 pm

brainchasm wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:I do the Tenderpods every year, germinate and produce very well for me. Also planting Scarlet Runners this year and will see how they fare.

GG

I planted an entire square (nine plants) with soaked seeds, and dosed with nitrogen-bacteria sprinkles into each hole...got a whopping two plants out of it, and both looked yellow and terrible. They tried to die, but I wouldn't let them. Now they're trying to not thrive, so we'll have to work on that. But so far, for me, Dragon Tongues have been a bit of a disappointment and a sore point in my first year.

I am just about the laziest gardener ever. I soak NOTHING!!! If they don't come up, I plant something else in the spot. So far, all the beans I have tried have wanted to live.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/2/2013, 6:09 pm

My son loves green bean and I never thought that their were some many different types. So my goal if its not to late in the season for us is to hunt up some weird green beans plant or seeds to try. Might just have to find the seeds for next year since I know our growing season is only like 80 days and time has alright starting ticking off of that.

I'm not sure the exact type but we have always done green bush beans. My son only let me have two or three each year though we had plenty he just didn't want to share them. He would eat them raw right in the garden as I would pick them for dinner, he would hold the bowl. When I was done I would look in bowl and it was only have like two beans left that he would snatch quickly. The ones that I did get to eat were divine!! Let me know how it goes and please post pictures for us to look at.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/3/2013, 12:09 am

I will be planting my beans next weekend, after our hopefully last frost.

I plant yellow, green and purple bush varieties and Blue Lake pole bean. This year I am trying a dry bean also, Indian Woman yellow.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/3/2013, 10:15 am

This year beans are one of my major crops. I have tried to focus on beans that are multipurpose, so I can either eat them fresh OR leave them to dry as dried beans.
I still have many jars of dilly beans from 2 years ago...
I am trying all heirlooms this year, and tried to get a few that are "nearly extinct"... which makes it all more exciting bounce

1) Fin De Bagnol An old gourmet French bean
2)Calypso (more for drying)
3)speckled cranberry.... a 3 purpose bean... a snap bean, a green shell bean and a dried bean
4) cherokee Trail of tears POLE... Tender pods purple
5) Blue Jay bush.. (rare heirloom) harvested green or left to dry for rich tasting dry bean
6)Painted pony bush ( snap beans and dryP
7) Sultans Green crescent Snap bean... Almost extinct Smile Green stringless and curved.....
I also have seeds given to me from a very old collection, and thus far have managed to START... Black spaghetti beans..

I am working VERY hard at keeping them apart and keeping track of which one is where, so I can save all these seeds. However one entire 4x4 sfg has been left un labeled, I have sifted through areas trying to find unsprouted seeds to ID them.... Embarassed I think I will be able to in the fall when I save the seeds though.

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  ETNRedClay 6/3/2013, 11:14 am

Please keep us updated. I'm working with Burpee and Ferry-Morris and Bonnie this year. Just to see if I can do this. But since I'm eating a meal a day out of the SFG garden since 4/1, I'm looking around at heirlooms and seed saving and growing something I can't get in the grocery store. Fun!
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 6/3/2013, 12:44 pm

brainchasm wrote:

GG

I really like Dragon Tongues. One time I had a square that did not germinate well but right now I have I think 3 squares producing. They are such compact little plants that I put them in my table tops.

Excellent flavor but very strange the first time you cook them as they turn nearly white but the beans inside stay green.
Now the rattlesnake beans have not germinated well for me. At the moment I don't have any free trellis space to try them again. With the Dragon tongues I can put them anywhere I have a free square.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 6/3/2013, 1:02 pm

How fun to be experimenting with such a variety! I have been keeping my plantings very "vanilla" at my husband's request and he has asked that I find him a "better bean." Until I started my garden, he has only had the store bought canned or frozen and has only developed a taste for those. Razz I have been growing the Kentucky Blue pole and tried some type of bush my first year that was pretty stringy. He thinks the KY Blue have too "sharp" of a green bean flavor and too chewy of a texture. Let me know if you find that any of yours might have a more appealing taste/texture for me to try.

Also, anyone ever grow garbanzo beans? We eat a LOT of humus and wondering if the production:space requirement makes it worth growing our own in our small garden.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/3/2013, 1:08 pm

Garbanzo beans are on my list to try next year, I ran out of space this year. Anybody ever grown them?
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/3/2013, 2:45 pm

I am growing something similar. THey LOOK like chick peas, just a little smaller and almost heart shaped. A woman gave them to me, and calls them russian chick peas...So we will see.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 6/3/2013, 4:52 pm

GWN wrote:I am growing something similar. THey LOOK like chick peas, just a little smaller and almost heart shaped. A woman gave them to me, and calls them russian chick peas...So we will see.

Hmmm...I thought chick peas and garbanzo beans were the same as we have used both (canned) chick peas and (dry) garbanzo beans to make our hummus. :scratch: I clearly need to do some research on them before I venture out and try to grow them. study
Lemonie
Lemonie

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/3/2013, 7:36 pm

From what I found online, the Russian Chick Pea (7mm) is a smaller variety of garbanzo than the really large Kabuli Chick Pea (9-10mm). I eat a LOT of hummus, so I have comsidered growing them but have not looked how long they take to mature. I have a SHORT growing season!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 6/3/2013, 8:54 pm

Lemonie wrote:How fun to be experimenting with such a variety! I have been keeping my plantings very "vanilla" at my husband's request and he has asked that I find him a "better bean." Until I started my garden, he has only had the store bought canned or frozen and has only developed a taste for those. Razz I have been growing the Kentucky Blue pole and tried some type of bush my first year that was pretty stringy. He thinks the KY Blue have too "sharp" of a green bean flavor and too chewy of a texture. Let me know if you find that any of yours might have a more appealing taste/texture for me to try.

Also, anyone ever grow garbanzo beans? We eat a LOT of humus and wondering if the production:space requirement makes it worth growing our own in our small garden.

Lemonie: We grew the Dragon's Tongue beans, because they were "cool looking" for my grandson. Well guess what? They're delicious, VERY abundant growth and NO STRINGS!! They have a mild green bean flavor. I'm definitely going to do these again. We harvested a big plate full last night for dinner, some were "too big", and still...no strings! We didn't even snap them or take the tops or ends off and they were still good! I checked the plants again today and found another servings worth! They really grew well!!

Green Beans 274447 Green Beans 274447 Green Beans 274447
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/3/2013, 10:18 pm

Lemonie....
I thought chick peas and garbanzo beans were the same as we have used both
THEY ARE the same, which is why I posted about it.
I think that these ones are a variant of a chick pea (OR garbanzo)
Goosegirl, thanks for the info, I had not found much about them, I will let you know how long they take and if they do not take too long I can send you some...
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/4/2013, 1:40 am

southern gardener wrote:
Lemonie wrote:How fun to be experimenting with such a variety! I have been keeping my plantings very "vanilla" at my husband's request and he has asked that I find him a "better bean." Until I started my garden, he has only had the store bought canned or frozen and has only developed a taste for those. Razz I have been growing the Kentucky Blue pole and tried some type of bush my first year that was pretty stringy. He thinks the KY Blue have too "sharp" of a green bean flavor and too chewy of a texture. Let me know if you find that any of yours might have a more appealing taste/texture for me to try.

Lemonie: We grew the Dragon's Tongue beans, because they were "cool looking" for my grandson. Well guess what? They're delicious, VERY abundant growth and NO STRINGS!! They have a mild green bean flavor. I'm definitely going to do these again. We harvested a big plate full last night for dinner, some were "too big", and still...no strings! We didn't even snap them or take the tops or ends off and they were still good! I checked the plants again today and found another servings worth! They really grew well!!

Green Beans 274447 Green Beans 274447 Green Beans 274447
So jealous! Nine plantings of Dragon Tongue, I got two stunty plants!

If I get any beans at all, I'll be amazed!

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 6/4/2013, 9:45 am

Southern Gardner: Awesome! Sounds like I'll need to set aside some space to try those next year. Might try to pick some up at the farmer's market first to test them out on hubby.

GWN: Ooooh! Gotcha! Thanks for setting me straight! Glad I'm not as crazy as the voices say. darn funny
Lemonie
Lemonie

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/11/2013, 9:20 pm

BUMP!

Turan wrote:I will be planting my beans next weekend, after our hopefully last frost.

I plant yellow, green and purple bush varieties and Blue Lake pole bean.  This year I am trying a dry bean also, Indian Woman yellow.
I'm growing Oregon Blue Lake pole beans for the first time this year, and I'm curious if you, Turan, or anyone else who's ever grown them have had this experience: they're about to topple my 6' tall trellis with their weight, and are up to about 10-12' tall/long but are only now just starting to flower.  We had a really late Spring and then a very wet couple of months early on, so I don't know if that's what's up or is this typical?  The seed packet said 6' height, so I didn't count on so much growth or lateness.

Thanks in advance!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 8/11/2013, 9:51 pm

Yeah, my Blue Lakes have done the same thing. I usually do get beans a little sooner, but they always grow well over 6' and form a tangle of vines about 7' to 8' up with additional tendrils heading down. Normally they flower in early July, but I think the weather threw them off. Mine are getting into the swing of things following a week of super hot weather and my beans are taking coming in nicely.
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/11/2013, 10:13 pm

OK, I feel better then. First frost for me is about 4 weeks away, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the info!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/11/2013, 10:18 pm

I have several varieties of beans growing, however the "sultans green crecent snap bean, which is a pole bean and a very rare heirloom, has grown HUGE, way past the 6 foot poles I put up, and now toppling over.
All my other beans have been producing very well except this one.
AND FINALLY 2 days ago they started to flower.
It has been WAYYYY too hot here and that, I believe is what kept them from flowering.

USUALLY my beans slow down their flowering when it gets too hot.

So glad everyone else is getting beans, it was kind of concerning with the incredible amount of growth and NO BEANS.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/11/2013, 10:18 pm

Sounds a bit like what I'm experiencing with my Kentucky Wonders here in Oregon. We had a very late summer with a 35 degree difference between day and night temperatures. Plants about 9 feet tall, initial small burst of flowers that all dropped off, and just yesterday my first tiny bean.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/12/2013, 2:08 pm

My Kentucky Wonders have gotten huge but very few beans this year. The painted lady beans started blooming early and have been blooming their little vines off, but not a single bean. I left them up as the bees were loving them. The yard long beans have huge vines and are producing beans but not that many. Fortunately it only takes a few of them to make a meal for me.

I'm blaming the rich compost I covered my beds with in May. Usually I have a spring crop and the beans go where the peas were without additional compost. This year I didn't have a spring garden. Did I read it here on someplace else that beans prefer a leaner soil?

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content