Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heirloom Vegetable Gardening Toplef10Heirloom Vegetable Gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heirloom Vegetable Gardening I22gcj10Heirloom Vegetable Gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heirloom Vegetable Gardening Toplef10Heirloom Vegetable Gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heirloom Vegetable Gardening I22gcj10Heirloom Vegetable Gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Heirloom Vegetable Gardening

+4
brainchasm
mschaef
camprn
Windmere
8 posters

Go down

Heirloom Vegetable Gardening Empty Heirloom Vegetable Gardening

Post  Windmere 6/1/2013, 10:40 am

Hello all,

I have come across a rather large book (tome really) by William Weaver. The title is "Heirloom Vegetable Gardening." It is being presented by Mother Earth News and is available on Amazon.

The link is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Heirloom-Vegetable-Gardening-ebook/dp/B00AWDSINQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1370096797&sr=1-1&keywords=heirloom+vegetable+gardening

Weighing in at 630 pages, it's supposed to be "the bible for gardeners." It covers 280 heirloom varieties. Originally published in 1997, it was out of print for a while. Evidently copies went for $300.00 at one time.

It is now available on Amazon as an e-book for $9.99. Buying directly from Mother Earth News, it costs $15.99.

Print versions are available on Amazon for $59.99 (used) or $180.00 (new).

Does anyone own this book? I am considering buying it, but I wanted some input from folks here.

study
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Heirloom Vegetable Gardening Empty Re: Heirloom Vegetable Gardening

Post  camprn 6/1/2013, 1:51 pm

I have never seen this book. What did you think of the reviews?

If it were me I would buy the paper version, mostly because I tend to write in the margins of my gardening books.

I have trouble flipping to specific pages in the middle of Kindle version books. Also, if you are a new gardener with a lot of questions, other books may be of more benefit to you this year.
Save the steep priced specialty books for a few years from now.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Heirloom Vegetable Gardening WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 6/1/2013, 5:37 pm

Thanks very much for your response camprn. I noticed the reviews for this book are stellar almost across the board. The exception is one three star review by a woman in WI (Margaret Anne). She expresses her frustration. She says the book leaves her yearning for a "gritier" book. She goes on to say, "he does not pave a clear enough path for gardeners who want to expand their practical knowledge to follow along with him." Everyone else loves the book and gives it five stars. So, as you can imagine, I have mixed feelings about this book. Heard about it through e-mail from Mother Earth News (I very much respect this publisher).

I'm with you when it comes to print books (gardening). I did not get Mel's book in Kindle form so that I could flip through pages as well. The only reason I would by the e-book version of this book is to avoid the high print price.

As you say, this might be for years to come. Camprn... do you have any "go to" books (aside from New SFG Book), that you can recommend? Thanks.

:scratch:
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/1/2013, 5:53 pm

Why not see if your local library could get it for you to borrow? That way you can check it out before buying it. I know that a few years ago I ordered a book through Barnes and Noble and when it came it was totally not what I was expecting. I didn't have to pay for it or keep it. They just put it onto the shelve for someone else to purchase. I haven't read or heard of this book before so I dont have any insight into, sorry.

mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/1/2013, 5:59 pm

Wind, at the bottom of my signature at the end of this post is a link to a thread about other gardening books. I have a few posts there.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Heirloom Vegetable Gardening WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Heirloom Vegetable Gardening Empty Awesome~

Post  Windmere 6/1/2013, 8:22 pm

Camprn, you're the best. I love Rodale books. I've enjoyed Organic Gardening Magazine very much and the 50 yrs book looks great. Used prices on Amazon rock!

Mschaef, thanks for your comment. I've been checking with my library for various books as well. Library closed before I could get to asking them about the Heirloom book. I know the feeling with Barnes and Noble. I have purchased cookbooks from them that ended up being very different from what I expected.

Thanks again~
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/1/2013, 9:00 pm

Your welcome...also if your library doesn't have it see if another library does and if they could get it for you. I think that this is called a interlibrary loan, I think.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/2/2013, 3:37 pm

I bought this:

The Beginner's Guide to Growing Heirloom Vegetables: The 100 Easiest-to-Grow, Tastiest-to-Eat Vegetables for Your Garden

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1604691883/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it's been useful to me. Of course, the "usefulness" of any of these gardening books is tempered by the fact that no one writes with the high desert growing environment in mind...but, c'est la guerre.

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/2/2013, 4:39 pm

brainchasm wrote:I bought this:

The Beginner's Guide to Growing Heirloom Vegetables: The 100 Easiest-to-Grow, Tastiest-to-Eat Vegetables for Your Garden

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1604691883/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it's been useful to me. Of course, the "usefulness" of any of these gardening books is tempered by the fact that no one writes with the high desert growing environment in mind...but, c'est la guerre.

Here's a link to Amazon, Month by Month Gardening in Nevada. Check it out! There is also a Month by Month Gardening in the Deserts of the South West. I got the one M by M Gardening in the Dakotas for my area. There seems to be one for just about everywhere in the US. I LOVE mine! Needed all the help I could get after being used to planting in Nor Cal.

GG

http://www.amazon.com/Month-Gardening-Deserts-Nevada/dp/1591863848/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370205372&sr=1-1&keywords=month+by+month+gardening+in+nevada
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/2/2013, 4:52 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
brainchasm wrote:I bought this:

Here's a link to Amazon, Month by Month Gardening in Nevada. Check it out! There is also a Month by Month Gardening in the Deserts of the South West. I got the one M by M Gardening in the Dakotas for my area. There seems to be one for just about everywhere in the US. I LOVE mine! Needed all the help I could get after being used to planting in Nor Cal.

GG

http://www.amazon.com/Month-Gardening-Deserts-Nevada/dp/1591863848/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370205372&sr=1-1&keywords=month+by+month+gardening+in+nevada
Thanks GG! Kinda wish it focused on vegetables/fruits, since I could give a **** about lawns and roses, but I'll definitely check it out!

Last edited by brainchasm on 6/2/2013, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/2/2013, 5:01 pm

brainchasm wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

GG

Thanks GG! Kinda wish it focuses on vegetables/fruits, since I could give a **** about lawns and roses, but I'll definitely check it out!

The one for the Dakotas has a section on annuals, then a section on herbs & vegetables, then bulbs, corms, rhizomes & tubers, then lawns, then perennials & ornamental grasses, then roses, then shrubs, then trees, then vines and ground covers. Each section has an intro and then month by month guides.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/2/2013, 5:10 pm

I think I might have to get a month by month book for where I live...only one problem: what to due with the book once the military moves us again...hhhmm
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/2/2013, 5:17 pm

mschaef wrote:I think I might have to get a month by month book for where I live...only one problem: what to due with the book once the military moves us again...hhhmm

Pass on the gift of gardening - give it to a friend who still lives in MT! Or keep it as a souvenir of your time in the GWN.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/2/2013, 5:23 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
mschaef wrote:I think I might have to get a month by month book for where I live...only one problem: what to due with the book once the military moves us again...hhhmm

Pass on the gift of gardening - give it to a friend who still lives in MT! Or keep it as a souvenir of your time in the GWN.

GG

See I wouldn't mind doing that but my hubby think that would be a waste of money. So maybe I'll see about getting it from the library.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/2/2013, 5:26 pm

mschaef wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:Pass on the gift of gardening - give it to a friend who still lives in MT! Or keep it as a souvenir of your time in the GWN.

GG

See I wouldn't mind doing that but my hubby think that would be a waste of money. So maybe I'll see about getting it from the library.

I can understand that - Hubby and I think differently about those sorts of things as well! rofl

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/2/2013, 7:28 pm

Sell it on Amazon, or some other website.

Libraries are amazing!

I check out all books from our library system before buying them. If they don't have what I want in MA my library will search the rest of the country until they find it, or if they think it's interesting enough they'll buy it for our library and put me in for the first check out. That's how they recently acquired the 2nd ed ANSFG book.

I have a book checked out right now - The New Victory Garden - that I've renewed 3 times (no one is waiting for it so we can do that) so I've had it for a total of 8 weeks. The book is a month by month veggie gardening for New England. I love it and I'll be buying it. I love you

I just went to my libraries website and put in a request for Heirloom Vegetable Gardening. There are 6 copies in our area. They will email me when it's ready for pick up. Thanks for the tip. Smile

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 6/2/2013, 9:55 pm

Glad that you were able to find it...this is the first base that I have lived on where if the town library has it I have to physically go there to check it out. This is very frustrating for me since we only have one car my my hubby uses it for work and school. Let me know what you think of the book maybe I'll have to look into the library to find it for me.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/3/2013, 9:14 am

Depending on how tight your finances are, you could buy the e-book for a small investment to see if you want to spend the money on the book.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/3/2013, 9:43 am

Thank you for this thread, I have just one click .. bought the book. I have a smaller house and we have gotten rid of most of our books. I LOVE having them on Kindle. I have really gotten into heirlooms this year, with several exotic squash, beans, tomatoes and peppers. In search of more exotic flavours and the sustainability of saving seeds... PLUS I LOVE the concept of trading. I am sure I will have LOTS to trade in the fall, but unfortunately... live in Canada.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down