Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New from Canada Toplef10New from Canada 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New from Canada I22gcj10New from Canada 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New from Canada Toplef10New from Canada 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New from Canada I22gcj10New from Canada 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New from Canada

2 posters

Go down

New from Canada Empty New from Canada

Post  Smac 4/17/2013, 3:35 pm

Hello
I stumbled upon this site while looking for gardening ideas. I'm not new to gardening, my gardening adventure began before there was internet, with an old beat up 'Rodales Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening' that I picked up a used bookshop. I had beautiful organic vegetable gardens for about 15 years. Watching the development over the years was a joy. The first year, the weeds and bugs were distressing, and I found myself running out of the house whipping a wet t-towel and chasing cabbage butterflies out of the yard. ( I feared our home had become sanctuary for all the bugs in the neighborhood since we used no pesticides. But, then the spiders arrived, with their big beautiful webs, and then birds, and one year we even had moles, then after a few years of trial & error, companion planting & natural remedies, composting & crop rotation, our gardens were lush and clean almost pest free, and amazingly productive. We were poor (single mom and all that) but counted our riches in the mounds of organic produce we grew and preserved in our little inner city back yard. (when people ask my kids how they got so beautiful they say "must be all that tomato stew I ate when I was growing up") I missed it when I had to move seven years ago. I had small plots in various community gardens in various cities, but alas, in spite of my longing, I wasn't able to recreate the experience.

Fast forward seven years, and I have been fortunate enough to mortgage a little old house that has been neglected for many years. Now that spring is starting to arrive here (we still have some snow melting and the temperature is below freezing at night) I am thinking about how to rehabilitate the yard. The ground is uneven, hard and full of burdock. I have pulled and chopped down most of the burdock, but I expect it will come back when the ground thaws. Basically it's like starting at square one. I want to put in a three sisters garden, a potato patch, carrots and peas, some sunflowers, a raspberry patch and of course, tomatoes and greens.
Long winded introduction, to be sure, but I am very pleased to find this forum.
Smac
Smac

Back to top Go down

New from Canada Empty Re: New from Canada

Post  plantoid 4/17/2013, 6:41 pm

Hello Smac , welcome to the site .

Your in for a paradigm shift in your gardening . not much is the same as old time mother earth gardening I can tell you . have you by any chance had a read of the little paragraph to the right of the title lines on the home page ( click the link )
I too was into mother earth gardenig for donkey's years but life circimstances has forced me to wise up to an easier lighter method of gardening.

you'll most likely have been making compost for your own gardens
check out the composting threads both on the left of the home page and in the main index on the home page you may discover interesting differences to what you've been used to doing.

It took me a few weeks to get the ethos of the site under my belt and I still occasionally do some old ways thinking and working ( much to my detriment Laughing )

In my strap lines are details of the book that we use to guide us in our " All New Square Foot Gardening " ( ANSFG) . It is all you need to know to be successful in our way which is also a runaway success in many parts of the world . If you don't have a copy , may I be cheeky and suggest that one will be of great benefit to you , so that you can sing off the same song sheet as the rest of us.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down