Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Toplef10Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? I22gcj10Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Toplef10Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? I22gcj10Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed?

+2
yolos
Windmere
6 posters

Go down

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Empty Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed?

Post  Windmere 4/8/2013, 8:44 pm

Today I made the discovery that dozens of teeny tiny "gauzy white" flies were on my seedlings and lots more on the soil. I have never heard of any beneficial insect fitting this description, so I broke out my neem oil/peppermint soap mixture.

First, does anyone know of a pest that fits my description? Second, I have some neem oil mixture left and I wanted to know what sort of longevity it has. I put the left over amount in the refrigerator.

I had to make two cups of the mixture (mainly because I could not figure out how to make less... my math skills were not advanced enough to figure out the 1/16 of an ounce and 1/16 of a teaspoon necessary for just one cup).

I have to confess, I am terrified that the neem oil mixture I've sprayed will some how hurt my seedlings. I've babied them for so long! I did follow the directions exactly, I'm just paranoid.

Thanks for reading this all.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Empty Re: Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed?

Post  yolos 4/8/2013, 9:06 pm

I am not sure, but I think they are called white flies. I had them last year and an old gardener told me to use yellow sticky traps. Some kind of yellow sheet material coated with a sticky substance. Apparently they are attracted to the color yellow. I did not use this method to get rid of them, but I can't remember what I used. Probably a soap spray. Sorry my brain cells no longer retain much.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Empty Lots of yellow to be attracted to - Abundance of pine pollen

Post  Windmere 4/8/2013, 9:19 pm

Yolos, I got a chuckle when you said that these white flies are attracted to yellow. In light of the fact that all my seedlings are heavily dusted by yellow pine pollen, there's lots of yellow for these blasted flies to be attracted to. I'm joking of course, but seeing as how your just around the corner from me, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about with this awful pollen.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Empty Re: Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed?

Post  camprn 4/8/2013, 9:56 pm

If the infestation is gauzy, it's probably mealy bugs, easily controlled with neem, per the label directions.

http://msgreenthumbwateringpot.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/house-plant-pests/
Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Pest-problems

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 4/9/2013, 12:21 am

I have some organic neem I got from eBay a while back, and the directions say to use it within 4 hours after mixing.

In a fit of laziness I also bought some pre-made neem spray, used it once, and hated the smell so much I will never use it again even if it doesn't require mixing first. Not worth it. Razz I'll stick with Dr. Bronner's and the other neem!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Empty Very helpful information... Thanks!!

Post  Windmere 4/9/2013, 11:45 am

camprn wrote:If the infestation is gauzy, it's probably mealy bugs, easily controlled with neem, per the label directions.

http://msgreenthumbwateringpot.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/house-plant-pests/
Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Pest-problems

Thanks so much for your effort in helping me figure out what kind of pest I have on my plants. After looking at the diagram, I think I have "white flies." I guess I misspoke when I wrote that my flies were "gauzy." I just meant that their wings seemed gauzy.... very delicate. Your help was perfect!
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Gauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Empty Longevity of Neem Oil - Mixture measumements - Very Effective!!

Post  Windmere 4/9/2013, 12:01 pm

Coelli wrote:I have some organic neem I got from eBay a while back, and the directions say to use it within 4 hours after mixing.

In a fit of laziness I also bought some pre-made neem spray, used it once, and hated the smell so much I will never use it again even if it doesn't require mixing first. Not worth it. Razz I'll stick with Dr. Bronner's and the other neem!

NEEM OIL LONGEVITY OF POTENCY

I also obtained some organic neem oil. I got it through Amazon, and it came directly from India in an amber bottle. No directions, just the label that it is "Neem Oil."

Regardless, I had heard that Neem Oil is extremely perishable when it comes to keeping its potency (I just didn't know if it lasted for hours, days, weeks, etc). Four hours? That IS a very short time indeed. Wow! I still have 10 oz left in my spray bottle. That's a shame.

"MICRO MEASUREMENTS"

I had a very hard time figuring out how to how to reduce my neem oil/peppermint liquid soap recipe from two quarts water to two cups water. My calculations got it down to 2 cups water, 1/8 ounce neem oil, and 1/8 teaspoon Dr. Bonner's soap. I would have liked it go down to 1 cup... but figuring out what 1/16 measurements are is just insane!

ON A VERY POSITIVE NOTE:

This morning I checked all of my seedlings and the white flies where completely gone! My plants were still very healthy looking, so the mist of neem oil last night did not harm them in any way. Yay!

cheers
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/9/2013, 5:49 pm

rock on
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 4/9/2013, 11:34 pm

Windmere wrote:This morning I checked all of my seedlings and the white flies where completely gone! My plants were still very healthy looking, so the mist of neem oil last night did not harm them in any way. Yay!

Great news! Smile I don't have a lot of aphids (yet?) but man, do I have soil gnats.. Sad
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/15/2023, 10:26 am

After a PM discussion with a member regarding Fungus Gnats and White Flies, I thought I'd bump this old thread.

It is well documented that Neem Oil is very effective against pests such a White Flies, Aphids, Fungus Gnats, etc., but it must be properly used. Improperly used Neem Oil can/will damage the plants or beneficial insects.  The two primary ways Neem Oil is improperly used is, 1) Using too high Neem Oil to Water ratio, and 2) Using too much soap as the surfactant.  Too much Neem Oil in the water will burn the leaves of the plants, and too much soap in the water will clog the pores of the leaves preventing them from taking in carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen.

Both of these problems can be eliminated by using the correct Neem Oil, such as ones that are marked as Agricultural Neem Oil. Agricultural Neem Oil has the surfactant already added, and is water soluble without the addition of soap. Because it is water soluble, it is easy to correctly mix it at 1 tsp Neem Oil to one quart of water, shake and spray.

There are several brands of Agricultural Neem Oil available, both locally and on-line.  The one I use is Harris Neem Oil which is available at the local Tractor Supply Store, where an 8 oz bottle which makes 12 gallons of spray is available for around $10.00.  Just make sure the brand you buy says "Water Soluble" on the label.

My purpose for bumping this thread is to say don't be afraid to use Neem Oil for pest control, but be sure to use it properly:

• Properly mix it so that the ratio of Neem Oil to Water is not more than 1 tsp per quart of water.
  • Don't spray when pollinators are on the plants, or during the heat of the day.  Only spray very early morning, or late in the evening.
  • Use an Agricultural Neem Oil vs a cosmetic grade Neem oil.
  • For active infestations of pests, be prepared to re-spray every 3 days until pests are eliminated. As a preventive measure it can be sprayed every 2 weeks.
  • Consider using a Neem Oil Soil Drench to provide plants systemic insecticide if there are recurring outbreaks of pests.

This is the Agricultural Neem Oil I buy at Tractor Supply CompanyGauzy White Flies - Does anyone know how long neem oil lasts once it's been mixed? Harris10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down