Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cedar Oil Toplef10Cedar Oil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cedar Oil I22gcj10Cedar Oil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cedar Oil Toplef10Cedar Oil 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cedar Oil I22gcj10Cedar Oil 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cedar Oil

4 posters

Go down

Cedar Oil Empty Cedar Oil

Post  H_TX_2 3/12/2013, 12:49 pm

Does anyone here know if cedar oil has any positive or negative effects? I am looking to have a sprinkler system installed and the installer can also install an attachment that can spray cedar oil in the yard that is supposed to repel mosquitoes. Do you know if it actually works to repel mosquitoes and kill mosquito larvae and eggs? The sprinkler system will not touch my SFGs because those are watered by my own drip system. Some grass, leaves and other material from my yard will be exposed to the cedar oil and end up in my compost barrel. Can this cedar oil make composting take longer than it should? Any other views on the cedar oil?

It's funny how once you start gardening and composting you find that everything is (or should be) connected. If I didn't have a garden I wouldn't really care what was sprayed onto my lawn if it actually kept mosquitoes away.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Cedar Oil Empty Re: Cedar Oil

Post  camprn 3/12/2013, 6:49 pm

Mosquitoes breed in pools of standing water. If you don't have standing water, there is no mosquitoes breeding in your yard.

This is an interesting read about the buggers, with some good advice about them, the life cycle, tolerance levels and management of them.

http://www.stephentvedten.com/23_Mosquitoes.pdf

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Cedar Oil WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/12/2013, 10:53 pm

Ditto camprn and add flowers to attract hummingbirds.
Attracting Hummingbirds to Your Yard
"An adult female can consume up to 2,000 insects per day. Small invertebrates including mosquitoes"
extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-249-W.pdf
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 3/12/2013, 11:55 pm

I guess I should have been a little more clear. I know mosquitoes lay eggs in water but the guy claimed it would kill the eggs and larvae which I don't care about because I don't have any standing water. I was more interested in it being a repellent. I'm guessing if it does have a repellent effect that it wears off within a short time.

My bigger question was what effect it might have on things going into my compost pile. If cedar is good material for boxes because it is rot resistant then will it slow down my compost pile?

I like the idea of attracting hummingbirds or bats to my yard to eat their fill of mosquitoes. Here the mosquitoes are almost humming bird size. I would love to see these oversize mosquitoes battling with hummingbirds.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  LikeToGarden 3/13/2013, 12:25 am

Here's a link to cedar (not oil itself but chips etc) that may help answer your question
greenliving. nationalgeographic.com/soil-composting-cedar-chips-20335.html
LOL big mosquitoes Laughing

Last edited by camprn on 3/13/2013, 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tried to fix link)
LikeToGarden
LikeToGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 3/13/2013, 2:22 am

I don't know about cedar oil, but there is a product called "Mosquito Barrier" that is almost pure garlic juice. It works wonderfully! It also works on ticks. And it supposedly works on a lot of other things, like fire ants. We used some last summer in NC because there is a huge tick problem there (waaaay out in the country) and also mosquitoes. I've ordered some to use here in Savannah this year, but I haven't put it out yet. You just add it to water and use a sprayer (like you would use to apply pesticides). You can also use it on bodies of water (like a pond). You have to add some oil or detergent or something (can't exactly remember) so it doesn't dissipate in the water. You do have to reapply it periodically to keep it working, but it's a great way to fight some nasty bugs naturally! Very Happy We have a huge fire ant problem here, so it'll be interesting to see how well it works on them. NOTHING seems to get rid of them!

OH, and we were outside one evening before I had applied it to the yard, and the mosquitoes were eating me alive! (they LOVE me for some reason!) I just opened the bottle and set it on the ground nearby, and they disappeared almost instantly! I have to warn you, the garlic smell when you open the bottle is overpowering, but once you put it on the yard it goes away pretty quick. It still keeps them away though, for several weeks.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down