Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Toplef10Sectioning off squares: A suggestion 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sectioning off squares: A suggestion I22gcj10Sectioning off squares: A suggestion 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Toplef10Sectioning off squares: A suggestion 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sectioning off squares: A suggestion I22gcj10Sectioning off squares: A suggestion 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sectioning off squares: A suggestion

+5
southern gardener
EggplantWizard
yolos
quiltbea
daryl.weaver
9 posters

Go down

Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Empty Sectioning off squares: A suggestion

Post  daryl.weaver 12/1/2012, 1:30 pm

I was never happy with the prescribed method for dividing my growing squares in my wooden beds. I tried wood strips and molding...anything I could find. I think they make the already tight squares even harder to work in and they kept coming loose. This fall, when I put my "crops" in, drilled screws halfway in at 12" intervals to create posts and stretched nylon twine in a grid pattern. So far it has worked great. In my new boxes made from cement mixing tubs I will drill holes in the sides near the top and the twine should work perfectly. Anybody have other suggestions that have worked?
daryl.weaver
daryl.weaver

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Empty Re: Sectioning off squares: A suggestion

Post  quiltbea 12/1/2012, 2:00 pm

I screwed small screws along the top of my raised beds and used nylon tomato twine (its stronger than regular garden twine and lasts thru the whole season and more) to make my grids.
I found that putting the screws on the inside of the boxes didn't work. The twine kept slipping loose over the screw's head.
The twine also makes it easier to get underneath for any weeding or harvesting efforts.
Sectioning off squares: A suggestion String12
The tomato twine is also strong enough to twist your tomato vines around during the season so they don't need staking. I attach mine to wires running across from fence post to fence post at the bottom and to stakes wired across the top of those same fence posts.
Note: I put in two tall fence posts (see the green posts) at the north ends of all my boxes for either twining tomatoes and cukes or adding trellis netting for peas and beans. This way I can rotate crops each year and they are always there as needed for twine or trellises.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Empty Re: Sectioning off squares: A suggestion

Post  yolos 12/1/2012, 3:06 pm

I use these screw eyes.
Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Screw_10
I tie one end of the nylon rope to a screw eye, run the rope across the bed and thru a screw eye on the opposite side, then along the side of the bed to the next screw eye and then across the bed again. At the last screw eye, I tie a knot that can be easily undone and then at the end of the season it is easy to remove and work in the bed, then string back again with the same rope.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  EggplantWizard 12/1/2012, 3:11 pm

yolos wrote:I use these screw eyes.
I tie one end of the nylon rope to a screw eye, run the rope across the bed and thru a screw eye on the opposite side, then along the side of the bed to the next screw eye and then across the bed again. At the last screw eye, I tie a knot that can be easily undone and then at the end of the season it is easy to remove and work in the bed, then string back again with the same rope.

this sounds like a great idea. I think I'll implement this method when I build my box.
EggplantWizard
EggplantWizard

Male Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 12/1/2012, 5:22 pm

I literally use a ruler. I mark the grid in the soil as I plant. I don't have the grid all the time, but once they're planted it doesn't matter. I got tired of trying to make a grid work, and slugs and snails hiding under the wood, string breaking, twine falling apart etc. I also have marks on the sides of my raised bets at 1' intervals, so I can see that way too.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/1/2012, 7:47 pm

As with anything else in life, there is always more than one way to do a thing and one works for one and not another.
We choose what works best for us as individuals.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/1/2012, 8:19 pm

I use what ever's handy. In this box it looks like I used rebar, bamboo stakes & some kind of skinny construction leftover wood strips.
Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Ry%3D400

I've also used twigs and thin branches. Next year I plan on trying radishes and carrots as my grids here and there.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  daryl.weaver 12/1/2012, 11:58 pm

yolos wrote:I use these screw eyes.

Better idea than mine. So lad I asked.
daryl.weaver
daryl.weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  daryl.weaver 12/1/2012, 11:59 pm

southern gardener wrote:I literally use a ruler. I mark the grid in the soil as I plant. I don't have the grid all the time, but once they're planted it doesn't matter. I got tired of trying to make a grid work, and slugs and snails hiding under the wood, string breaking, twine falling apart etc. I also have marks on the sides of my raised bets at 1' intervals, so I can see that way too.

Wow. Simple, but it works.
daryl.weaver
daryl.weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 12/2/2012, 1:46 pm

I often use rulers to mark squares. I picked up packages of 4 rulers at the dollar store and glued 4 together to form a square. I use them when planting and to mark the squares til the plants are up.
Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Dscf1110

I also sometimes use the shim grid that Llama Mama suggested. Then have a couple of begs where long direction lines are hot wire(wire used for electric fence) attached with fence staples inside the wood ends of the bed.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/2/2012, 5:44 pm

In the gallery is a picture of my tabletop strawberry bed using shims. The shims are about a foot long so I push them in but on the skinny side. Carpenter shims are also tapered on one end so it is super easy to snap off the end to make perfect squares. If I want a rectangle or bigger square just remove a couple pieces and its done. I'm sold on it and not using anything else ever again.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/2/2012, 5:57 pm

daryl.weaver wrote:I Anybody have other suggestions that have worked?

There are several previous threads about this with some good ideas.
I myself use finish nails capped with cork pieces, so I don't jab my knees, and either cotton or sisal twine which is compostable. In the fall when I am planting my garlic I use the cork pieces as landmarks and press the edge of a thin board into the freshly prepared MM and create a depressed grid.
Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Img_0113

Sectioning off squares: A suggestion Jul_2110

Last edited by camprn on 12/2/2012, 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photos)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Sectioning off squares: A suggestion WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/2/2012, 7:49 pm

When I planted my garlic, I guess I used plastic forks:Sectioning off squares: A suggestion 100_3618

Btw, my garlic sprouted! All but the purple B one. Which means that grocery store garlic is a better sprouter than locally grown garlic.
Hmm...that just seems wrong... No

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down