Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Pensacola FL first timer Toplef10Hello from Pensacola FL first timer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Pensacola FL first timer I22gcj10Hello from Pensacola FL first timer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Pensacola FL first timer Toplef10Hello from Pensacola FL first timer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Pensacola FL first timer I22gcj10Hello from Pensacola FL first timer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Pensacola FL first timer

+2
quiltbea
daddywelder36
6 posters

Go down

Hello from Pensacola FL first timer Empty Hello from Pensacola FL first timer

Post  daddywelder36 Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Hello from Pensacola FL I must say i do need some help and since it is my first time hope i can be forgiven for asking for help on my first post LOL. First i must say that i am in the middle of building my first hoop house and sent my wife to pick up some material. she did just as i asked her 2 do got everything on the list. {IMPORTANT PART} My hoop house is 11' wide by 14' long and i did not tell her the exact size of cover to get i told her 6mil and she got that for me not thinking about the size i assumed she would get the 20 by 100 foot roll. There it is the Mistake she got me the 10' by 100' I never even looked until i cut the end piece of and it worked fine then all of a sudden it hit me after the 10 foot section of course was already put up that this will never work . so i need some ideas on how to make this plastic work since i am sure they will not take it back with a 10 foot section missing thinking please help me if u can,THAK YOU i tried to post pictures but dont think they made it
daddywelder36
daddywelder36

Male Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Hello from Pensacola FL first timer Empty Re: Hello from Pensacola FL first timer

Post  quiltbea Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 pm

From what did you make your hoops for the hoops house? If its pvc pipe you can cut off the ends to make the hoops shorter. If its wire, same principal. No one says your hoops have to be 11' across. In some SFG gardens they are a lot lower and used for row cover in spring.
Or make a bed or two narrower. It'll be easier to work if its only 3' across anyway.
Or you can lay your covering crosswise, doubled in the middle and taped so its wide enough and cut the two whatever length you need. There's always a 'fix' in gardening.

Oops! Forgot to welcome you to the forum. This is the place to ask any questions. We all help one another on this forum. Good luck with your gardening from the great white north.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Hello from Pensacola FL first timer Empty Re: Hello from Pensacola FL first timer

Post  walshevak Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:40 am

Duck tape the 10 ft sections together to make a 19+ section and keep on trucking.

Duck tape is a garden friend.

And WELCOME

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:27 am

Daddy Laughing , see if it is selling on eBay and sell the roll cheap and then buy the correct size ??? Wink

Gas tape is better for sticking plastic sheet but more expensive
There are commercial opaque sticky tapes specially made for joining poly tunnel covers , they work well & are also useful to have incase you need to repair a tunnel cover..
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:41 pm

I used 2 ten feet wide sheets of plastic to cover my hoop house. The house is about 9' wide. I do not know how tall the house is. I took two 9' pieces of pvc and connected them at the top then bowed them over to make the hoops. I used one 10' wide piece of plastic on one side up to the top of the hoops, then overlapped the second piece of plastic about 2' over the first piece for the second side. When the wind blows, there is a lot of air going in between this overlap. So yesterday I bought some clear duct tape and will tape the two pieces together so air cannot get thru the top.

Here is a picture with one side rolled up for air circulation and more sunlight on a nice warm day.

Hello from Pensacola FL first timer Photo10
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Post  Beau Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Hello to from Pensacola as well. Innerarity island to be exact. I am on my second year in contained beds and I must say it makes alot of sence with the poor soil in our area. I am brand new to the forum as well and still awaiting my book. i have made some great resources in the short time I have had my gardens. if i may be of local help, please let me know.
Beau
Beau

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down