Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Toplef10Lower South - fall/winter gardens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lower South - fall/winter gardens I22gcj10Lower South - fall/winter gardens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Toplef10Lower South - fall/winter gardens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lower South - fall/winter gardens I22gcj10Lower South - fall/winter gardens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lower South - fall/winter gardens

+5
Pollinator
southern gardener
yolos
bnoles
walshevak
9 posters

Go down

Lower South - fall/winter gardens Empty Lower South - fall/winter gardens

Post  walshevak 11/10/2012, 8:55 am

Here are pictures of the beds I planted in Sep. The collards, kale and broccoli almost got decimated by caterpillers until the BT finally took effect.

The experimental indoor salad bed. Mixed lettuce growing well and spinach which took forever and 2 sowings to germinate. Some cilantro volunteered in the spinach bed. Brought these indoors right after the first frost last weekend. Note the worm hilton under the table.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1215

Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1216

The garlic tub planted 11/8
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1217

Swiss chard left from summer and newly sprouted spinach. 2 pepper plants still hanging on.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1218

Lettuce, Kale and radishes.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1219

The collard bed with a few kale plants
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1220

The broccoli bed also has a few kale plants and some radishes
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1221

lettuce moved to the greenhouse a the day before Sandy came through. planted late Sep
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1222

Spinach planted the same time as the lettuce and then replanted 2 weeks later finally coming up. Moved to green house before Sandy.

Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1223

Three mustard plants that survived the summer with some lettuce just sprouting underneath.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1224

an extra broccoli plant and some extra kale plants put into former tomato buckets. And the Mums that I moved from the porch before Sandy blew through.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn1225

Seems like the plants should be further along, but I'm taking what I can get and hoping. By clipping just the outer leaves, I should have enough collards for just me for Thanksgiving.

How are the rest of you in the lower south doing?

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Lower South - fall/winter gardens Empty Re: Lower South - fall/winter gardens

Post  bnoles 11/10/2012, 11:12 am

Hi Kay,

Looks like you have a lot more going than me as I just got started in this hobby at the later part of this summer and spent most of my time and energy building my garden areas.

I did get some collards, garlic and shallots in last month and they are all doing pretty well. I put 18 collards in a 4X4, that I will transform to a strawberry bed next spring. The collards have been kept covered by a tulle frame and are doing quite well as you can see from the picture. I look forward to cooking a nice batch of these for our Thanksgiving guests this year. The garlic and shallots of course won't be ready for harvest until next summer and seem to be doing well in their earthbox environments. I can't wait until Spring so I can plant my table top SFG and watch it come to life.

Lower South - fall/winter gardens P1010002_01-1-1

Lower South - fall/winter gardens P1010004_01-1
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/11/2012, 10:40 pm

Here is my fall garden:

Cauliflower planted 9/1/12.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0211

Swiss Chard planted 9/1/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0212

Broccoli planted 9/1/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0214

45 day Cabbage planted 9/1/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0213

Kholabi planted 8/1/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0215

Small hoop house planted 10/15/12 with fall veggies, 1st row Romaine Lettuce, 2nd row Buttercrunch Lettuce, 3rd row Kale, 4th row Brussel Sprouts. The two plant stands inside the hoop house are there so when the temperature drops I can add a sheet over the veggies under the plastic.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0216

Sugar Snap Peas planted 8/18/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0217

Strawberries (fuzzy) planted 6/2/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0220

Large temporary hoop house with summer veggies trying to hang in there - tomatoes, squash, cucumber, blackeyed peas all planted in pots so I could move them under cover.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Photo11

And last, my humongous live oak tree shedding all the leaves I need for my compost pile.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0221
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/12/2012, 12:05 am

yolos wrote:Here is my fall garden:

Cauliflower planted 9/1/12.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0211

Swiss Chard planted 9/1/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0212

Broccoli planted 9/1/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0214

45 day Cabbage planted 9/1/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0213

Kholabi planted 8/1/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0215

Small hoop house planted 10/15/12 with fall veggies, 1st row Romaine Lettuce, 2nd row Buttercrunch Lettuce, 3rd row Kale, 4th row Brussel Sprouts. The two plant stands inside the hoop house are there so when the temperature drops I can add a sheet over the veggies under the plastic.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0216

Sugar Snap Peas planted 8/18/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0217

Strawberries (fuzzy) planted 6/2/12
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0220

Large temporary hoop house with summer veggies trying to hang in there - tomatoes, squash, cucumber, blackeyed peas all planted in pots so I could move them under cover.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Photo11

And last, my humongous live oak tree shedding all the leaves I need for my compost pile.
Lower South - fall/winter gardens Dscn0221

Wow...your garden is amazing. I'm so jealous! I planted WAY before you. My plants are 2"-4" tall with 3-6 leaves. Good for you. Looks like I have a lot of work to do....
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 11/12/2012, 11:55 am

Wow! You are well ahead of me. None of my cole crops are ready, although they look nice.

We had a touch of frost the past week. Sweet potatoes and Caribbean squash are done. I had picked the squash the day before, and am in process of digging the taters, which have made a nice crop.

Tomatoes, peppers and Irish potatoes all survived the frost. I had picked all the peppers the day before, but they are loaded with blossoms. Maybe we can get a few more. Eggplant and okra are still alive, but seem to have just petered out.

This is my favorite gardening season. Everything is so green, and there are few pests - especially the gnats which are mostly gone. And it's pleasant to do the physical part of it. I've been having back problems, so my physical endeavors have been somewhat curtailed, but it's better and I'm getting back into it as fast as I dare.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/15/2012, 11:53 am

Everyone's veggies are gorgeous! I need to move!

SG, what are you using as mulch? Is that grass?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/15/2012, 1:13 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Everyone's veggies are gorgeous! I need to move!

SG, what are you using as mulch? Is that grass?

CC

CC...it's not my garden, it's from a quote. I WISH it was mine lol. I still continue to struggle with plants growing. They come up, then stop. Hoping for a solution. Congrats on the wonderful looking gardens!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 11/15/2012, 1:17 pm

Its wonderful to see green growing in the south. Its times like this I want to make the move from Maine. My garden is asleep for winter except for Swiss chard, kale and parsnips. All the rest have been long harvested. The herb pots are all indoors so I can have fresh herbs a few extra months.
Good luck and enjoy all the growing you can manage your lucky southeners. I envy you.
I love seeing the photos.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/15/2012, 1:22 pm

quiltbea wrote:Its wonderful to see green growing in the south. Its times like this I want to make the move from Maine. My garden is asleep for winter except for Swiss chard, kale and parsnips. All the rest have been long harvested. The herb pots are all indoors so I can have fresh herbs a few extra months.
Good luck and enjoy all the growing you can manage your lucky southeners. I envy you.
I love seeing the photos.

We are very blessed that we have a wonderful and long growing season. Our area is considered one of the best in the world for agriculture!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Nymiko 11/16/2012, 4:42 pm

bnoles wrote:

Lower South - fall/winter gardens P1010002_01-1-1

I've having pest issues and was advised to put tulle over my SFG and I'm inspired by yours! Did you build your own? do you have any advise for me trying to build my own tulle cage?
Nymiko
Nymiko

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 11/16/2012, 6:20 pm

Nymiko wrote:

I've having pest issues and was advised to put tulle over my SFG and I'm inspired by yours! Did you build your own? do you have any advise for me trying to build my own tulle cage?[/quote]

Hi Nymiko,

The tulle cage solved any insect problems I may have had. You can see it in the background of my picture above. It was very easy to build from 3/4" pvc pipe and elbows. Very inexpensive also.... probably about $25 total including the tulle.

You will need 8 ea 3 way elbows, 8 ea 3 way T's and 24 each 3/4" PCV pipes 2' long. Just a matter of cutting the pipe and fitting it all together. I used 1" PVC pipe pieces I had laying around as scrap to make clamps and cut them about 3 inches long and then cut length wise a little more than half the diameter. Sand the edges a little to keep the sharp parts from tearing the tulle. You can pretty much use any kind of clamp to hold the tulle to the frame if you don't want to fool with making your own.

Pretty simple project and only took probably an hour or less to build.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  Nymiko 11/16/2012, 6:30 pm

bnoles wrote:

The tulle cage solved any insect problems I may have had. You can see it in the background of my picture above. It was very easy to build from 3/4" pvc pipe and elbows. Very inexpensive also.... probably about $25 total including the tulle.

You will need 8 ea 3 way elbows, 8 ea 3 way T's and 24 each 3/4" PCV pipes 2' long. Just a matter of cutting the pipe and fitting it all together. I used 1" PVC pipe pieces I had laying around as scrap to make clamps and cut them about 3 inches long and then cut length wise a little more than half the diameter. Sand the edges a little to keep the sharp parts from tearing the tulle. You can pretty much use any kind of clamp to hold the tulle to the frame if you don't want to fool with making your own.

Pretty simple project and only took probably an hour or less to build.

thank you!
Nymiko
Nymiko

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/16/2012, 6:51 pm

Yolos -
Picture perfect pictures! Wow - great Job!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/16/2012, 8:19 pm

Thanks Llama momma - I was not real clear on the planting information I provided. I did plant everything on the dates I had in the post, BUT, many of the things I planted were actually transplants.

For instance, the Broccoli planted on 9/1/12 were transplants. All the nurseries around here said you could not direct sow the seeds and be able to harvest the broccoli before winter set in. So, I planted 18 transplants and harvested my first head on 10/28 and my last head on 11/9.

I did run a couple of tests to see if I could direct sow the Broccoli in the garden. So, I planted 4 broccoli seeds on 7/27, I planted 4 more broccoli seeds on 8/3, I planted 4 more seeds on 8/11 and on 8/18 I planted my final 4 seeds. Only one of the 16 seeds I planted in August even has a head. One of the very last seeds planted on 8/18 has a small head about the size of a marble. None of the other plants have any heads. I guess it is just too hot in Atlanta to plant broccoli by seed. Even though I used shade cloth in August, the plants just didn't want to grow in that heat.

I have harvested all of the broccoli transplants planted on 9/1/12. Therefore, for other middle Georgia growers out there, that is a good starting time but I think you can also transplant a little later and still get broccoli in the fall. Next year I will try planting the transplants starting around 9/1 and continuing every week for four weeks. Therefore, all of my broccoli will not ripen at the same time, I hope.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum