Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2012 Lower South gardens  Toplef102012 Lower South gardens  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2012 Lower South gardens  I22gcj102012 Lower South gardens  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2012 Lower South gardens  Toplef102012 Lower South gardens  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2012 Lower South gardens  I22gcj102012 Lower South gardens  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Today at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

2012 Lower South gardens

+5
kgooding
Bluphrog
quiltbea
cheyannarach
walshevak
9 posters

Go down

2012 Lower South gardens  Empty 2012 Lower South gardens

Post  walshevak 4/30/2012, 12:10 pm

I decided the lower south needed a place to showcase the 2012 season. We are well into our growing season and will hit really hot weather sooner than we like. I am on the extreme northern edge of the region and still have some time. Others of you are probably already anticipating or experiencing heat problems and have summer crops going full speed.

My garden consists of 10 4x4 table tops, a chairtop garden, various buckets and pots and some orange deck containers.

rosemary, cilantro, lettuce and radish in orange container, chives and mint

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0517

patio tomato with basil and patio cuke in pot of cillantro that reseed from last year. I'll soon have coriander

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0518

oragano, dill and parley in strawberry pot and blue potatos in orange container

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0519

tomato, pepper, and cuke seedling going to my daughter this weekend. She is in zone 6b and will just about be ready for them. Some of the tomatos are blooming.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0520

last of the greenhouse seedlings. I'll take down the greenhouse next week.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0522

pots of peppers and buckets of determanent tomatos. 4 little key lime plants in square terra cotta pots. Hope I can get them to live.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0523

red norland potatos blooming in rubbermaid bin. planted 17 mar. you can also see my carrot week carrots coming up in the blue pot

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0524

carrots in blue pots, kaledescope carrots in big round pot, herbs in small square pot and lettuce moved from a spot where I needed space for tomatos. Think there is a few basil seedling reseeded from last year. Smells like it anyway.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0525

red and green lettuce, radishes, purple mustard, bok choy, peppers and peas climbing the back trellis

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0526

carrots planted in Nov, new crop of kale and collards

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0527

bolting spinach, 2 eggplants and tomatos starting up the trellis.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0528

strawberry bed started this spring. 1/2 june bearing and 1/2 everbearing Waiting for elephant garlic to bulb up so the strawberries can have the entire bed.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0529

mustard and turnip greens, onions and sugar snap peas up the back trellis. pulled the bolting lettuce and the final plants of last spring's planting of chard today.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0530

the garlic and shallot bed. also has a few onions from last year that I'm using until the new crop comes in.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0531

my new cattle panel trellis between the garlic bed and the watermelon bed. tomatos in buckets ready to grow up the panel.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0532

watermelon and cantaloupe bed. half planted waiting for a later planting to space them out. will be interesting to see what happen when the melons and tomatos meet at the top of the cattle panel

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0533

peppers, the new crop of chard and yellow beets. there are pole bean behind the chard waiting for a trellis. (today I hope)

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0534

grossly overplanted malibar spinach. will have to thin to 2 plants based on the size of Josh's picture. Last trellis to make and put up goes here.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0535

Dinosaur kale, second crop of mustard and turnip greens, onions on the grid and tomatos starting up the trellis.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0536

Yay, I'm getting some broccoli,

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0537

pumpkin planted in front of the broccoli which I am hoping will not shade the newly emerging pole beans on the back trellis too much until they can get tall.

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0538

Pole beans seem to be doing ok behind all that broccoli, and the lone cuke

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0539

tomatos sharing the other cattle panel with the melons

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0540

and the chairtop garden where I'm getting sugar snap peas and lettuce. This bed was planted in Jan

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0541

WHAT ARE THE REST OF YOU GROWING?

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

2012 Lower South gardens  Empty Re: 2012 Lower South gardens

Post  cheyannarach 4/30/2012, 10:07 pm

Wowzers Kay, you have been busy, you garden looks great! I hope you can keep the key limes alive too! Key lime pie is my FAV! Good luck with the heat too, I have never experienced that problem in zone 5A.

I just planted some peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, and onions today in a different bed and I have some radishes, bunching onions, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and carrots up in another bed. All my summer crops have a while to wait yet.

Your garden looks fantastic!Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/30/2012, 10:16 pm

Your garden is an inspiration. It gives hope to those of us up north who can't put in most of our crops just yet. Love your garden arrangement.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

2012 Lower South gardens  Empty My 2012 SFG

Post  Bluphrog 5/2/2012, 3:36 pm

2012 Lower South gardens  Garde226

I planted my SFG and took this picture in March. As you can see, I started small so that I could make mistakes this year and hopefully be prepared to have a bigger garden next year. The boxes are 20" x 24", have a 3 gallon reservoir in the bottom and are on wheels so that I can move them around when I put up a trellis.

From left to right, the 1st box contains 1 tomato and 1 cherry tomato in the back and swiss chard and carrots in the front. The center box contains 1 green bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper in the back and mixed greens and spinach in the front. The third box contains 2 summer squash and 2 eggplant in the back and 3 cucumbers in the front. There is nothing in the other front square. The small planter contains parsley, chives (seed planted) and basil.

I decided to try blueberries in containers and have purchased bushes, containers and ingredients for more MM. I will have 2 strawberry plants in each of the blueberry containers for the fruit and as a ground cover.
Bluphrog
Bluphrog

Back to top Go down

Post  kgooding 5/3/2012, 5:45 am

Love, love, love the hoop trellises you have going! What a great way to do a trellis and I bet it will look amazing when you have some plants growing on them. For my garden I just followed the directions in the book, pretty much exactly, but my hubby and I relocate for his career every few years so I just LOVE seeing all the pictures and ideas for gardens. Maybe in out next home I will have a bit more level space to put a garden in and can use some of these ideas!
kgooding
kgooding

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/13/2012, 1:34 am

Hi all of you lower south gardeners. Here is a perfect thread for all of you to show off what SFG has taught you. I expect pictures, updates and comments from everybody. Problems if you have them and successes and inovations are welcome.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/13/2012, 3:44 pm

As a first year rookie everything has been a learning adventure. My journey started last fall when I began researching home food production. SFG seemed to be the most productive method per given area. The rookie in me thought Good Friday was my 'first start' date, so I geared all my plans to plant on that date. I started composting better stated as "started AT IT" big flop. Afraid of local yard grass for the 'greens'( pesticides, weed&feed and such)I resorted to rabbit food and coffee grounds. Let me just say the fall and winter rains drowned each of five 4ft by 4ft by 4ft round bales. Giving up ;for now; the ANSFG book put me into gear, suddenly I realized in this area something will grow almost year round.

I began in earnest prepairing the four 4ft by 8ft by 12in beds. I had seen SFG but master gardeners had convinced me 6in beds were not deep enough. I quickly started my "Tater Tires". Having made 3 tire towers using over 1 cubic yard of MM, I realized the cost of my yet to be constructed beds. The bigest mistake I have made was NOT using MM in the beds. I needed almost five yards of MM @ app $150.00 for the first batch I found a cheaper solution. It has a lot of aged bark as an ingredient; trouble is it is still composting using up all the nitrogen that was stated to be "in there". Not discovering this flaw has slowed to dwarfed the production I had expected. MM IS the backbone for rookie gardeners!!!!!

Now for the pictures: I have harvested three large bowls of romaine and buttercrunch lettice from bed1 (in the foreground others behind) 2012 Lower South gardens  P5113010

Bed2 looking west from the end; the tomatoes(and bed3) have suffered from nitrogen defeciency. 2012 Lower South gardens  P5113011

bed3 squash, zucchini, and cucumbers 2012 Lower South gardens  P5113012

bed4 green pole beans( kentucky wonder and bluelake) have not suffered from the lack of nitrogen peppers on the front row not so healthy 2012 Lower South gardens  P5113013

tater tires yet to be determined the tops are wilting back never did see them traditionally flower. 2012 Lower South gardens  P5113014

looking forward to seeing more gardens.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/13/2012, 4:57 pm

WOW! Actually that garden doesn't look all that bad considering you have soil/nutrient issues. Are you planning to replace the soil mix in your beds one at a time until you get them all properly MM or bit the bullet in before fall planting for all the beds. If you are forced to do it one bed at a time, consider using some liquid fertilizer. OR, buy some worm castings and give everything a few drinks of worm tea over the growing season until you can get your MM.

I am already thinking ahead to my fall garden and I'm way north of you.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/13/2012, 7:33 pm

I do hope to replace the mix w/MM but will most likely wait till the off season for that. I already have blood meal for when squares empty and fish emulusion till then. I have already put a 'shake and feed' nitrogen and calcium time release on all the beds.

I am planning two more beds now for sweet potatoes, peas, winter squash probally more kohlrabi and what ever the wife wants to try. We have to move two yard plants before the following two beds go in (will make 8 beds total).

I need to do more with seed; for the most part I have depended on transplants. Soooooooo much to learn to do so little time Rolling Eyes Laughing
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

2012 Lower South gardens  Empty What a difference a month makes.

Post  walshevak 5/27/2012, 6:45 pm

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0631

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0632

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0633

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0634

2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn0710

What is happening in your garden/

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasTracy 5/28/2012, 11:13 pm

Well I would post my pics but honestly, mine is looking pretty pathetic right now. 9 Tomato plants still hanging on but losing more leaves on a daily basis...super leggy but still producing. My cukes are hanging on by a thread but like the tomatoes, still giving me a few to harvest. Beans all done and in freezer. Squash gave me quite a bit but SVB took care of them.

I am now trying to figure out if it's just going to be too hot for me to sow more seeds and just hang til fall. Last summer wasn't successful at all for me with our heat so I don't know what to do yet. On the other hand, even with the decline going on now, I was a lot more successful than my first year of SFG.
TexasTracy
TexasTracy

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasTracy 5/28/2012, 11:15 pm

By the way, awesome pics Kay! Hopefully one day I can have a garden like yours!
TexasTracy
TexasTracy

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/28/2012, 11:52 pm

What little I know about Texas weather indicates to me you should not try much more than beans, southern peas (cowpeas), okra and eggplant for a while. Chard and collards can stand a lot of heat. I must admit, I would be forced to try a new tomato plant or two in a bucket in the shade to see if I could continue to get some maters or at least have a plant grown enough to start producing when the fall cool down finally come. And I am going to try starting some squash plants in cups to replace what I know will be SVB food. I usually can get some squash before they hit. They say butternut squash has too hard a stem to be infested, so I'm trying them this year. I just hope we don't have the weeks of over 100* and night time temps in the 90s like we did last year, nor the lack of rain.

Educate me. I think you can get a good growth in the fall and even overwinter a lot of stuff in a hoop house. If so, maybe taking a break during the summer is better on the stress level.

My garden looks good right now because I still have under 95* daytime temps and below 70 at night. Later this summer I'll have a raggedy looking one as well.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

2012 Lower South gardens  Empty Video of my garden - Lower South

Post  TejasTerry 5/30/2012, 8:01 am

Thought instead of posting a bunch of pics, I'd do a video update of my first garden. All the noise you hear in the background are katydids. We have zillions of them, but they seem to be not doing a lot of damage in the garden...maybe the Neem oil has worked...

TejasTerry
TejasTerry

Female Posts : 160

Back to top Go down

2012 Lower South gardens  Empty JUNE IS BUSTING OUT ALL OVER!!

Post  walshevak 6/1/2012, 7:55 am

Up here in the northern edge of the region, the watermelons and cantaloupe are climbing up their trellis and blooming. Cukes are forming, beans are reaching out for support, early garlic harvested, squash starting to grow (planted mine late). Kale and chard are doing well. Mustard and turnip greens on their second cutting. Collards not doing well - yellow and bug eaten in spite of the tulle.

And a windborne blight has struck my tomatos. Found it a few days ago. Went chemical and treated them. Will see what survives and manages to produce. Only green tomatos so far, nothing near ripening. Went out and got 2 starts which I am going to plant in buckets away from the herd so maybe I can assure myself of some later maters.

What's kicking in your gardens? Anything surviving the heat? Got anything planned or are most of you riding out the dog days of summer waiting for Aug when you can start your fall garden. Anybody got pics?

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  marietta mike 7/1/2012, 8:14 am

2012 Lower South gardens  217255 Well here in Marietta Ga it has been hot. No winter to speak of. It is my first year at gardening and got a lot of info from the locals. LOL

The Farmers Almanac was pretty much right on when it came to last frost. I had my bed made just a small one for first year 4 x 4 x 6. Lesson one. 6 inches really does not do the trick for tall items. Next year i will ad an 8 and 10 inch high bed.

I started my MM and put it in the bed. I began talking to people at the markets, Home Depot and Lowes and got a different oppinion from each to when to plant. The one common theme was i was early another frost was on the way. It never showed so i was two weeks, or more, behind in planting.

I have several different tomato plants put in the ground at different times about 10 to 14 days apart. I hope to have tomatos through to the first frost. Most are still green, as of 7/1, but i have started to pull one or two from each plant. Large Beefeater and Celebraty down to Cherry's. No real problem with animals. Lost one to something that took a large bite out one. Lost a couple to worms. A bit of spray and that problem is under control. I have lost my large cukes. I was pulling cukes 10 to 12 inches long 5 inches round. Had to pull them up. Cucumber Beetles got them. My pickleing cukes were in a different part of the yard so they were spared.

Radishes are in their 4th planting. Bell peppers are on the vines. I am not sure if they are normal or not. The plants are only about a foot tall but they are loading up with bells. The yellow bells are not as fast growing but not an issue. Jalapeno Chyanne and Thi peppers are doing well. Peas are being picked every other day and average 3 inches long. Bush beans are just starting to put out. All three bushes are showing sign of beinghealthy. I am growing Okra for a friend. Do not know much about Okra but the plants look good. Not sure if i have Okra or flowers. LOL

Watermelons have tendrills spreading out 8 feet now. I am beginning to find fruit. Marked 6 melons yesterday three on each plant. The pumpkin is looking strong as well but no sigh of fruit as of yet. I have 4 different plants going right now. Three Jack O Lantern plants 12 to 25 lbs average pumpkins and one giant 85 to 100 lb pumpkin plant. The wife and grandson should be happy for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I also have carrots and onions going.

For my first year i am pretty happy with the way things are going. I have learned much. Next year i will spread things out a bit more. The most important thing i believe i have learned is buy your MM in the fall when it is on sale. I have a storage shed i put in that i will use to store my MM stuff. I found out that the price changes from $2 to $6 dollars for different items around here. I got HEN Manure in the fall for $3.75 this spring it was $7. Also picket up more trellis items. Again. In the fall low price in spring price doubled.

BUt i am enjoying myself and am getting ready to plant cool weather items next month. Lettuce and Spinach topping the list with garlic right behind.

Mike 2012 Lower South gardens  240144
marietta mike
marietta mike

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/11/2012, 9:51 pm

Just talked to my son and he said the only thing still growing in his gardens are tomatos, peppers, chard (over harvested, but still alive), long beans (sorta), okra (flowers transforming into new okra) and eggplant (2 new fruits growing for now). I told him it is time to start collard and kale seed.

a mix of hot and sweet peppers.
2012 Lower South gardens  42349810

What are you doing in your gardens in Aug?

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

2012 Lower South gardens  Empty FALL GARDENS and summer hangons

Post  walshevak 10/3/2012, 4:45 pm

I'm late getting my fall garden in, but here's whats growing.
lettuce and spinach planted in what's left of the chairtop gardens.
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1216

chairs are giving up the ghost, so I pitched them
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1217

broccoli
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1218

collards
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1219

kale from starts and seed and lettuce starts
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1220

summer hangons

butter beans finally filling out some pods
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1221

chard cleaned up and top dressed is making a comeback and some peppers are hanging on
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1222

tomatos
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1223

carrot week carrots
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1224

when should i harvesr the sweet potatos?
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1121

and just a peek at my summer entertainment
2012 Lower South gardens  Dscn1122

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down