Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are ants in compost bad? Toplef10Are ants in compost bad? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are ants in compost bad? I22gcj10Are ants in compost bad? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are ants in compost bad? Toplef10Are ants in compost bad? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are ants in compost bad? I22gcj10Are ants in compost bad? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are ants in compost bad?

5 posters

Go down

Are ants in compost bad? Empty Are ants in compost bad?

Post  Bobalu 9/6/2012, 9:16 pm

I've always had sugar ants in my compost bins, but tonight I found what looks like a huge fire ant colony that seems to have developed overnight. My bins are made from heavy duty hardware cloth with 1" square openings, and the colony stretches from a volley ball sized clump of clay at the base and goes about 3 foot up the side of the bin. There is now what looks like a wide swatch of dried coffee grounds up the side of my bin. I assume these particles are what once was the material I am composting. If these ants are eating my compost they have to go, but I wanted to check with more experienced composters first.

BTW -- I'm only assuming they are fire ants. I didn't offer my hand in friendship to them to make sure. But just the flurry of ants that swarmed out of the base mound when I stuck it with my pitch fork tells me they aren't common sugar ants.
Bobalu
Bobalu

Back to top Go down

Are ants in compost bad? Empty Re: Are ants in compost bad?

Post  camprn 9/6/2012, 10:03 pm

My guess is that if you turn the pile and disrupt the colony they will either meet their demise or move on. Good luck!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Are ants in compost bad? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend 9/7/2012, 8:36 pm

If they are fire ants, death is the only solution. The nest is probably in the ground so I suggest you move the pile a few feet away (hopefully without getting stung) then using a suitable fire ant killer on the bed in the ground (you should be able to see it again in a few hours). Moving the pile keeps the ants from carrying the poison into your compost. I use Amdro. The trick with Amdro is to not use to much and don't put it directly on the pile, just sprinkle it around the outside of the pile. Amdro is a slightly toxic bait. Fire ants feed the queen by eating a little, carrying it (in their tummy) and regurgitating it. Another worker eats it and repeats the process until it finally gets to the queen where the accumulation in her body gets her. The bigger the mound, the more "in-betweeners" there are. If you use too much Amdro, it can kill the carriers before they reach the queen and the mound will just move. If done right, the mound may move once or more depending on size, but with the queen dead or dying, the mound will eventually die. If you catch a mound right when it starts, it's a lot easier to eradicate. If you don't kill them, they will create more queens and more colonies.
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 9/8/2012, 4:52 am

toledobend wrote:If they are fire ants, death is the only solution.
The trick with Amdro is to not use to much and don't put it directly on the pile, just sprinkle it around the outside of the pile. Fire ants feed the queen by eating a little, carrying it (in their tummy) and regurgitating it. Another worker eats it and repeats the process until it finally gets to the queen where the accumulation in her body gets her. If done right, the mound may move once or more depending on size, but with the queen dead or dying, the mound will eventually die. If you catch a mound right when it starts, it's a lot easier to eradicate. If you don't kill them, they will create more queens and more colonies.
Wow! very helpful. - Now what's a "Fire-ant"? - Wikipedia informs there are over 280 Shocked species of those critters worldwide. Oh boy! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ant "Fire ants can be distinguished from other ants by their copper brown head, & body with a darker abdomen. Worker ants are blackish to reddish, their size varies from 2-6 mm (0.12 in to 0.24 in)." - We have ants almost black, only 1 mm; what are those?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Are ants in compost bad? Empty Heat it up

Post  bwaynef 9/8/2012, 9:08 am

While I doubt that ants will be doing anything to hurt your compost, I wouldn't want them in my compost bin. I would imagine that if you got your compost hot enough the ants would move on.

If you've got a good mix of greens and browns, make sure its evenly moist ...and if it still doesn't warm up, you can mix in some blood meal (or flour or rabbit pellet food, though I've tried neither of those).

If they're fire ants, I'd take whatever action is necessary to get rid of them (...but you would too if you knew what it looked like when 42 of them had bitten your 2 year old daughter)! Preferably, without having to add chemicals to my compost ...but I wouldn't let that keep me from killing them.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down