Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds Toplef10Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds I22gcj10Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds Toplef10Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds I22gcj10Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by OhioGardener Today at 3:54 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 3:04 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds

3 posters

Go down

Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds Empty Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds

Post  andrea.carboni 8/23/2012, 7:51 am

Hello everyone, my name is andrea and I work as a researcher at the Italian Ministry of Agriculture.
I'm looking for some few seeds of the varieties of bean "Nemasnap." Unfortunately this cultivar is not in the list of USDA germplasm, but I see that it is still recommended in the guidelines of the Florida University "Florida Crop/Pest Management Profiles: Snap Beans1" easily found at the University of Florida web pages (I can not leave the link).
So I thought of asking to a forum of local experts ...
I hope you can help me,
thank you,
andrea
andrea.carboni
andrea.carboni

Back to top Go down

Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds Empty Nemasnap

Post  littlejo 8/23/2012, 10:21 am

Hi Andrea,

I could not find any supplier that sells these seed. I had root-knot nematodes in my beans last yr. Clemson ext. service told me then that there was no known bean that was resistant. The heat here may be a factor since resistance is only under 80 degrees. Sorry I could not help in your quest. I have included a link,which you may have already seen, but makes a person not want to grow or eat green beans!
Jo Ann
http://www.ipmcenters.org/cropprofiles/docs/FLsnapbeans.html
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds Empty Re: Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds

Post  camprn 8/23/2012, 10:54 am

Hi Andrea. Does this variety go by any other name, that you know of?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds Empty Re: Desperately looking for Nemasnap seeds

Post  andrea.carboni 8/23/2012, 12:09 pm

Thanks for the kind answers.

Briefly, Nemasnap was developed at Charlestone USDA in 1983 by Wyatt, J.E., Fassuliotis, G., Hofman, J.C. and Deakin J.R. "Nemasnap snap bean" Hortscience 18, 776.

But the breeding program started in the '60s when a mexican resistant source PI165426 (I have it) was crossed with Bus Blue Lake 274, Bonus, Cascade, Extender. No description of the number of the crosses or backcrosses.
Then in the 70's 2 breeding lines came from this breeding program: B4137-1N and B4124-2R.
These 2 BL were crossed and from the F5 stage they were characterisez/selected by single plant (1975 circa).
In 1980 a derived BL B4175 was again characterised and then in 1982 the cultivar Nemasnap was released.

From the Charleston group I was able, some years ago, to get in touch with Wyatt (80 years old); at that time he was retired, but the others collegues were dead. Unfortunately he was the pathologist of the team and not one of the breeders...

I wrote also many times to the University of Florida because the Guidelines (same text of Jo Ann) but they never replied, also because the e-mail "the following recipients failed" (wrong or old address left). I supposed the text too is old, "readeble" but not updated...

This is the reason to disturb your Horticultural Forum, maybe there are some farmers that are keeping those Nemasnap seeds.

There are some traces of this Nemasnap in some other articles pubblished in the 90's till to 2006, mainly by nematologists (and I still wait their answers).

Sorry for my english, and THANKS AGAIN,
andrea
andrea.carboni
andrea.carboni

Back to top Go down

Post  andrea.carboni 8/23/2012, 12:19 pm

littlejo wrote:Hi Andrea,
I had root-knot nematodes in my beans last yr. Clemson ext. service told me then that there was no known bean that was resistant. The heat here may be a factor since resistance is only under 80 degrees.

Concerning temeperatures: it's correct, mostly correct. The most common switch of the resistance is 27°C but we have selected a undeterminate cultivar "Arechi", using PI165426, which is very interesting and resistant to higher temperatures + or - 30°C). We used to cultivate Arechi in the South of Italy, under plastic houses, from March to beginnig of July, and is also quite resistant to flower abortion and tolerant to high temeperatures... And we have a lot of others cultivars too, since RKN are very terrible in some regions.

Please, could I have the contact of Clemson experts? So I can try to write to them?

Ciao,
andrea
andrea.carboni
andrea.carboni

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 8/23/2012, 2:14 pm

I think it's great that you are working on the nematode problem. I do SFG, which is raised bed with a soiless mix, but the root-knot nematodes traveled up thru the bed to get my beans!
Here is the main address, I looked for an email, but did not find one. Jo

Clemson University
Agricultural Services
Clemson, South Carolina 29634
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down