Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 Toplef10Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 I22gcj10Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 Toplef10Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 I22gcj10Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

+17
ericam
darci.strutt
Boz
Turan
greatgranny
Josh
Gilly21
gregrenee88
southern gardener
CapeCoddess
littlesapphire
GWN
walshevak
camprn
LittleGardener
RoOsTeR
cheyannarach
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 Empty Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  gregrenee88 Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:04 pm

darci.strutt wrote:Hopefully my avatar updated! I struggle with such things some days. The garden has been wonderful this first year!! I'm loving it!
Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 P1000710

Very pretty! I'm guessing you have trouble with deer due to the fence?
Renee
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 Empty Re: Monthly Avatar Theme for August: Show off your Garden!

Post  CapeCoddess Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Boz, good for you! I can't get spinach to grow right now to save my soul. What zone are you in?

Darci, lots of footage in that pretty garden. What's growing in there?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:39 pm

We have deer and rabbits! The fence is a must. The deer mesh is nearly invisible so it doesn't hinder the view of the veggies - LOVE that! I anchored it with cinder block planted with flowers on the sides, and flower beds in front, and enjoy them too.

We've eaten well this first year - spinach, lettuce, swiss chard, radish, peas, beet, carrot, kohlrabi, turnip (though only enjoyed the leaves since the root didn't form for me), rutabaga, cilantro, basil, zucchini, tomato, beans - and hopefully soon...cucumber, peppers, acorn squash, parsnip, and some sunflower seeds. I have seeds to plant for a fall crop of spinach, lettuce, kale, arugula, and more radish. Next year I'm planning to plant more leaf crops in the spring since we didn't have enough. And just maybe cut back on the zucchini which did VERY well this year...
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:07 am

darci.strutt wrote:We have deer and rabbits! The fence is a must. The deer mesh is nearly invisible so it doesn't hinder the view of the veggies - LOVE that! I anchored it with cinder block planted with flowers on the sides, and flower beds in front, and enjoy them too.

We've eaten well this first year - spinach, lettuce, swiss chard, radish, peas, beet, carrot, kohlrabi, turnip (though only enjoyed the leaves since the root didn't form for me), rutabaga, cilantro, basil, zucchini, tomato, beans - and hopefully soon...cucumber, peppers, acorn squash, parsnip, and some sunflower seeds. I have seeds to plant for a fall crop of spinach, lettuce, kale, arugula, and more radish. Next year I'm planning to plant more leaf crops in the spring since we didn't have enough. And just maybe cut back on the zucchini which did VERY well this year...
wow! congrats on a nice season!! cheers cheers
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:35 am

CC
I don't have spinach growing I just planted a fall crop. I have been using beet tops and Swiss Chard for my greens during the heat of the summer.
Your garden looks like it is doing good.
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:43 am

Everyone's gardens are looking great, puts my little garden to shame! Laughing

Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 1a07c327

Can't get it as my avatar whilst I'm on the iPad, but thought I'd share anyway. Smile

Big space at the back of the closest bed was my mandarin tree but it died so I pulled it out today and move the pansies and strawberries that were there as well. Just need to get some more tomato stakes for a new grid and 6 more squares, here I come!
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:28 pm

ericam wrote:Everyone's gardens are looking great, puts my little garden to shame! Laughing

Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 1a07c327

Can't get it as my avatar whilst I'm on the iPad, but thought I'd share anyway. Smile

Big space at the back of the closest bed was my mandarin tree but it died so I pulled it out today and move the pansies and strawberries that were there as well. Just need to get some more tomato stakes for a new grid and 6 more squares, here I come!

It looks great! Since you are in the southern hemisphere you are in the middle of your cold season. I see you are growing stawberries...how cold do your nights get? Do you ever get any snow? I've never been to Australia but it is neat talking to someone who is just starting their gardening season when we are over half way through ours.
Renee What a Face

Last edited by gregrenee88 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : reword)
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks Renee, no snow here, don't even get frosts at my house as I'm on one of the higher parts of the suburb. We do get the occasional frost down the hill but in the 12 years I've been at my house I think I've only seen 1-2 frosts in my yard.

The closest place that gets snow is the Blue Mountains (about 1 1/2 hours drive from me) but that is only occasionally.

Night time temps get down to around 3-4C (37F) on average. Daytime maximum is around 15C (59F), 20C (68F) if it's a warm day.
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:05 pm

This is my first ever Mortgage Lifter. To me it is a monster. Bigger than my hand. The 2nd picture shows the "U" shape even better.
Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 8-5-1210
Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 8-5-1211
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Wow, that thing is a monster! I just read the other day that they can get to be four pounds but I thought it was an exaggeration. I guess I was wrong!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:33 pm

After you replied I had to cut it up to fit the pieces on my little wt. watcher scale which only goes up to 1 pound. It was 21 oz. and just under 5 inches long - not a prize winner, still the biggest one for this 2 year newbie Very Happy
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:39 pm

Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 3170584802 Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 3170584802 What a Face What a Face wow!! congrats!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:13 pm

llama momma wrote:This is my first ever Mortgage Lifter. To me it is a monster. Bigger than my hand. The 2nd picture shows the "U" shape even better.

WOW cheers Be sure to put it in the BIG STUFF photo album, no one has any tomatoes in there yet...it might be a winner!!!
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Josh wrote:
llama momma wrote:This is my first ever Mortgage Lifter. To me it is a monster. Bigger than my hand. The 2nd picture shows the "U" shape even better.

WOW cheers Be sure to put it in the BIG STUFF photo album, no one has any tomatoes in there yet...it might be a winner!!!
I have to try the mortgage lifter next year. That surely is a beautiful tomato!!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Ok Josh, I'll put it in there as a starting point for other contributers Smile

Thanks camprn!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:55 am

Holey moley! Nice!

What I can't figure out is how come you have a ginormous red mater in zone 6, and I can't even get my cherrys to turn from green in zone 6....?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:23 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Holey moley! Nice!

What I can't figure out is how come you have a ginormous red mater in zone 6, and I can't even get my cherrys to turn from green in zone 6....?

CC
USDA Hardiness zones refer to temperature extremes only, not growing conditions. To answer your question, find out the Growing Degree Days for your area. The link is to a calculator that will give your local information.

The old saying'to everything there is a season' speaks to this. You both may be in zone 6 but he may have more consistent heat over the course of days or weeks than you do at your location, which will make his tomatoes ripen faster.

:scratch: study

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Monthly Avatar Theme for August:  Show off your Garden! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Camp, I don't understand that calculator. If I put in 02645, what temp do I use and why? Also, it seems I'd use 2011 & 2010 to get the avg of ....what...I don't know.

If I use 70 degrees, it says
Growing Degree
Days (GDD):
2011 = 236.0 GDD
2010 = 298.5 GDD
Average** = 0.0 GDD

I have no idea what this means...that I have zero days at 70???
Feeling pretty dense right about now. Embarassed

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:18 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Holey moley! Nice!

CC

CC -- Maybe 13 + hours of sunlight forces them to turn big and red? Used extra compost, llama tea, and eggshells, or maybe its plain old beginners luck in addition to camprn's input. :scratch:
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:24 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Camp, I don't understand that calculator.

Camprn beat me to the punch - I was going to offer to explain the differences in growing seasons for different locations the same way. (Thanks to boffer for clueing me into GDD's!)

Here's the short answer: First, let's call them growing degree units, or heat units instead of growing degree days. It's much less confusing since more than one unit can accumulate per day. More than one day per day just doesn't make sense!

Second, all plants have a base temperature below which they do not grow. Simplistically, this is 40 degrees for cool season plants and 50 degrees for warm season plants. Tomatoes are a warm season plant, so lets use 50 degrees as the base. So any time the temperature is above fifty, the tomato plant can grow (assuming all other needs are met). The more heat units the plant gets, the more it grows. And remember, more than one heat unit can accumulate per day.

Let's assume all things are equal and do a comparison between you and llama momma. We'll say you both planted identical tomato plants on May 1st. Using the calculator, select 50 degrees as a baseline and a date range from May 1st of this year to yesterday, August 5th. Plug in your zipcode first, and use the same date range and baseline temp with zipcode 43102 for llama momma in Amanda, Ohio. Here's what we get:

zip code 43102: 2171.5 GDD's
zip code 02645: 1499.5 GDD's

So llama mommas tomatoes have been able to soak up 672 more heat units then your tomatoes. Nearly 45% more! Very simply speaking, her tomatoes are 45% further along then yours. Makes sense then, that she would have ripe tomatoes before you, right?

I hope that helps!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:42 pm

+1 the base temp indicates growth, or cell division within the plant. I know the GDD can be tough to wrap ones brain around but keep mulling it over and it will eventually make sense. Very Happy

Last edited by camprn on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Wow Gwennifer! That was amazing! I totally get it!
Thanks so much.

Now, what about the other end of the temp spectrum? Like I read in the Mother Earth News link that maters stop growing around 90 degrees to kick into survival mode. Is there a calculator for that?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Gwennifer, thank you for that explanation! GDDs have stumped me for a long time, but your simple explanation has really helped me as well Very Happy
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:13 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Wow Gwennifer! That was amazing! I totally get it!
Thanks so much.

Now, what about the other end of the temp spectrum? Like I read in the Mother Earth News link that maters stop growing around 90 degrees to kick into survival mode. Is there a calculator for that?

CC
I think all you need is a thermometer for confirmation of that. What a Face

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:48 pm

gwennifer wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:Camp, I don't understand that calculator.

Camprn beat me to the punch - I was going to offer to explain the differences in growing seasons for different locations the same way. (Thanks to boffer for clueing me into GDD's!)

Here's the short answer: First, let's call them growing degree units, or heat units instead of growing degree days. It's much less confusing since more than one unit can accumulate per day. More than one day per day just doesn't make sense!

Second, all plants have a base temperature below which they do not grow. Simplistically, this is 40 degrees for cool season plants and 50 degrees for warm season plants. Tomatoes are a warm season plant, so lets use 50 degrees as the base. So any time the temperature is above fifty, the tomato plant can grow (assuming all other needs are met). The more heat units the plant gets, the more it grows. And remember, more than one heat unit can accumulate per day.

Let's assume all things are equal and do a comparison between you and llama momma. We'll say you both planted identical tomato plants on May 1st. Using the calculator, select 50 degrees as a baseline and a date range from May 1st of this year to yesterday, August 5th. Plug in your zipcode first, and use the same date range and baseline temp with zipcode 43102 for llama momma in Amanda, Ohio. Here's what we get:

zip code 43102: 2171.5 GDD's
zip code 02645: 1499.5 GDD's

So llama mommas tomatoes have been able to soak up 672 more heat units then your tomatoes. Nearly 45% more! Very simply speaking, her tomatoes are 45% further along then yours. Makes sense then, that she would have ripe tomatoes before you, right?

I hope that helps!

Thank you for that explanation! once you said "units" instead of "days" it made sense! I was so confused as to how we'd have 675 etc days?? I get it now Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next