Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... Toplef10progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... I22gcj10progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... Toplef10progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... I22gcj10progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

progess pics and oh boy, where do i start...

5 posters

Go down

progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... Empty progess pics and oh boy, where do i start...

Post  jaherns 7/13/2012, 4:24 pm

Ok, I thought I would just post some progress pics and make comments on what seems to be working, whats not working and my thoughts for next year. Any advice is welcome. I do have to say, was discouraged after visiting my brother and seeing his garden looking so much better than mine, and not a pest in sight!
Photobucket" alt="" />
it took forever for the carrots to come up. picked the radishes and spinach (see blank spots). yum. onions already going to seed so I just cut the seed part off. still not sure what to do with the kale and absolutely will not plant the lettuce mix again, or at least not next to the carrots. i don't think I have enough carrots to can. should i put the whole 4x4 in carrots for canning? the eggplant is flowering! I have never grown one of those before.

Photobucket" alt="" />
finally the beets are growing. i was just about ready to give up on them and whats worse, my brother has already picked his. Sad
the celery looks ok and the peppers ok as well. not sure if they seem small yet or not. might just be getting too anxious Very Happy

Photobucket" alt="" />
oh boy, do i have potato stems/leaves. not sure what is in the ground. they must tower a good 2' or so above the box. they started to flower but something ate them and now i see a few holes in leave. i don't see potato bugs but do see grasshoppers. planting 4 eyes per square seems like an awful lot. really need advice on planting here.

Photobucket" alt="" />
this might just be my pride and joy. Asparagus! spears are still coming up. a friend planted seeds in the ground so he always comes over to check out my plot. i have some surface weeds but very easy to pull.

Photobucket" alt="" />

Photobucket" alt="" />

here is where i am most unhappy. cabbage and broccoli and cabbage worms. ugh. i have tried picking and using BT but still not much luck. and way too crowded. i won't plant them in the same box again and i won't plant one cabbage per square. only a few are actually getting heads. i think only 2 per row would be better/8 per box. i am still trying to research this one. i also realize i should have covered them. next year for sure! in fact, i am thinking about pulling the broccoli and giving the cabbage more room. the broccoli doesn't even look good as seen in the second picture. i don't think i have ever grown them before so i really can't judge.

ok, enough said. thanks for looking. any suggestions are welcome.

Jodi
1" of downpour this morning, now getting humid. highs expected near 100 coming up this weekend into next week.
jaherns

Back to top Go down

progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... Empty Re: progess pics and oh boy, where do i start...

Post  CindiLou 7/13/2012, 4:52 pm

I think your garden is looking good. I love seeing so much green!

1.) Your brother may have a different micro climate or may have planted a different kind. I don't usually compare because of the difference that can be found in just one yard.

2.) If you cover your cabbage, broccoli with tulle or netting so the moths can't get in you won't have the worms. Looks like your broccoli needs picking bad! Starting to bloom.

3.) The pests may not have found his garden yet!

4.) Carrots take FOREVER to germinate. The amount you need to plant would depend on the amount you want to can.

5.) Beets are a funny picky veggie. I am lucky, if they don't grow, great! No one in my family likes them but the grandkids rofl They like to eat them raw!

6.) I only plant potatoes 5 per 2x2 box. Mine are huge so waiting to see how that experiment worked!

CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

progess pics and oh boy, where do i start... Empty Re: progess pics and oh boy, where do i start...

Post  cheyannarach 7/13/2012, 5:39 pm

Your garden looks great, a few bugs... eh, everybody has something and you probably look at your garden with a much more critical eye than anyone elses. If it makes you feel better my broccoli still has never started broccoling, same with cauliflower, and the catepillars are in my cabbage. live and learn! Eat that broccoli!!! Way to go! okay
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/13/2012, 6:17 pm

My 8 Yukon potatoes in 2 squares took over 6 and 1/2 squares after growing tall then flopping over. Tying them up seemed to make them madder and more determined. Crazy things. Next year they get their own box. Yours look just fine to me.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4914

Back to top Go down

Post  jaherns 7/13/2012, 7:53 pm

too funny that you say i am being too critical! were you talking to my hubby? he wasn't happy when i expressed disappointment to him. ran out between rain drops and picked the broccoli. chomped on it a bit - yum! do i take out the whole plant or leave it for additional heads to come? i notice tiny ones on the sides.

now my eggplant is leaning. time to stake it up. the wind/rain tonite was hard on it.

thanks for all the comments

Jodi
jaherns

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/13/2012, 9:20 pm

Jodi, you wouldn't mind sending the rain clouds back to the west of the metro would you? Only got about a 1/4 inch here so far. Looks like a little more is coming but we really need at least an inch. Tomorrow is supposed to be 90 and clear again.

By the way, your gardens look really good.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 7/13/2012, 9:42 pm

If your not needing the squares and don't mind the little heads I would leave them to continue! If you want to start warm weather crops then destroy rofl

I have enough squares but mine were not making heads because of the heat I had. So into the compost they went and I will start beets there in a couple of weeks.

Time for fall garden planting for me already! I am replacing the garlic with kolhrabi this weekend. Maybe some turnips and carrots also.

CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down