Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I was a newby last year...my garden Toplef10I was a newby last year...my garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I was a newby last year...my garden I22gcj10I was a newby last year...my garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I was a newby last year...my garden Toplef10I was a newby last year...my garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I was a newby last year...my garden I22gcj10I was a newby last year...my garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I was a newby last year...my garden

+5
titans01
boffer
swripley
choksaw
quiltbea
9 posters

Go down

I was a newby last year...my garden Empty I was a newby last year...my garden

Post  quiltbea 3/23/2010, 12:28 pm

This is my garden experience from being a newby last year, 2009.
My son used a sod cutter to clear the back lawn space for my 9 raised beds.
The beds are 2"x12" in 4-foot squares. He filled them with garden loam he had trucked in, 6 yards of it.
I actually had enuf extra loam to add a mound for strawberries, potatoes, sweet corn and an annual bed. No lumber, just raised in a mound.
url=https://servimg.com/view/15016226/6]I was a newby last year...my garden 4-28-010[/url]

I amended the soil, adding composted manure, peat moss, and then marked my foot-sqaure plots with old venetian blind slats I got for a buck at Salvation Army store. I planned nasturtiums and marigolds in one corner of each bed to repel pests.
I was a newby last year...my garden 4-29-010

Next I went shopping for started seedlings since I didn't have the set-up for starting my own at that point. I planted, and planted. I also sowed seeds directly in the garden, like beans and peas and carrots, onion sets, and a host of others.
I was a newby last year...my garden 06-17-10
These are hot peppers and tomatoes in their bed

I was a newby last year...my garden 06-26-10
My New Jersey Wakefield cabbages, bought at Home Dept, came up a treat.

I was a newby last year...my garden 06-17-11
I made cages out of chicken wire and netting to shade my lettuces. I found the chicken wire snagged the netting too much for my taste. I'll try another method for 2010, like tenting cheesecloth over poles at each end of the lettuce plots.

I was a newby last year...my garden 07-03-10
I had one bed with just herbs, but will change that next year also. We only used a few of them fresh. I prefer to get mine at the store, already dried. I haven't the capability to dry them properly. I'll just have a few staple herbs in my 2010 garden.

I was a newby last year...my garden 08-12-10
My garden view in August. I got lots of good, fresh, tasty veggies from our garden for my first year and expect to get more next year. In 2010 I plan on having both a spring and fall crop of the cool-weather crops, like cabbage, spinach, lettuce and the like. The green 7' high fence posts were buried at the end of 6 of my beds so I could string twine for vining crops like beans and peas and to string up my tomato plants as well. The long mound across the front of this photo is 14 1st-yr strawberries.

I was a newby last year...my garden 11-09-10
In November the beds were empty and I'd added a bit of compost from my compost barrel. All in all, we enjoyed the fruits of my labors and I enjoyed every bit of it, even the weeding.

url=https://servimg.com/view/15016226/14]I was a newby last year...my garden 08-05-10[/url]
Its great picking your own veggies to add to your evening meal.

Last edited by quiltbea on 3/23/2010, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

I was a newby last year...my garden Empty Re: I was a newby last year...my garden

Post  choksaw 3/23/2010, 1:55 pm

WOW I was a newby last year...my garden Affraid looks like you had a very bountiful first year congrats i hope my first years is half as good keep up the good work and keep us posted
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

I was a newby last year...my garden Empty Re: I was a newby last year...my garden

Post  swripley 3/23/2010, 2:05 pm

Quiltbea, thanks for the inspirational photos. I'm a newbie this spring and need all the insirpation I can get.
swripley
swripley

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/23/2010, 2:07 pm

Thanks for the great pictorial. There's a lot of ideas in there for sfg gardeners to take note of that aren't often talked about.

Happy Gardening!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 3/23/2010, 11:26 pm

Thanks for sharing. I guess I hadn't thought about checking the salvation army for some cheap gardening supplies.
titans01

Male Posts : 122

http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

I was a newby last year...my garden Empty And Good Will!

Post  quiltbea 3/24/2010, 6:36 am

I also bought several packs of the large plant labels for a buck a package at Good Will. They are soooo nice I haven't even used them yet. I don't know why I'm saving them. These are the large white plastic ones that have a large square at the top that leans back so you can read it when its plunged in the soil.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

I was a newby last year...my garden Empty I was a newby last year

Post  Ray'ssfg 3/27/2010, 5:16 am

I was a newby last year...my garden Icon_biggrin Thanks Quiltbe for sharing photos of your garden. It looks great. Seeing other gardens is one of the best things about the forum.
It will be interesting to see how your garden goes this year.
Cheers from Ray Down Under I was a newby last year...my garden Icon_smile
Ray'ssfg
Ray'ssfg

Male Posts : 122

Back to top Go down

I was a newby last year...my garden Empty My start for 2010

Post  quiltbea 3/27/2010, 7:24 am

I planted 7 squares in my tenthouse for an early start this year. Unfortunately, last nite it went down to 15 degrees so besides the row cover, I also put two thick towels over the plots to keep them from freezing. They haven't even germinated yet and with this cold, I may have to start again.
We'll see.
I was a newby last year...my garden 03-20-13
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaAnn 5/19/2010, 7:47 pm

Your garden is glorious! And yes...nothing like picking your own goodies for a meal. Thanx for sharing and happy gardening I was a newby last year...my garden Icon_biggrin
AtlantaAnn
AtlantaAnn

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

I was a newby last year...my garden Empty This year is coming along well.

Post  quiltbea 5/19/2010, 11:37 pm

I was a newby last year...my garden 05-15-10

The only thing I've lost so far this year is the basil which I bought in pots and planted. For some reason, I just can't seem to grow basil yet. I tried it in a pot and I tried in in a square. Both died. That and chives are my downfall.

I have light row cover on my cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce plots now to protect from insect pests. In the A-frame I've been harvesting radishes and All lettuce mix. I also planted two Matt's Wild Cherry tomato plants to live there thru the season. I've also harvested some Swiss chard. I have buttercrunch lettuce and mesclun mix ready to use. I'm really enjoying this year's SFG endeavor. I started lots early with heavy row cover ready to cover the plants when nites got frosty. No losses yet except for the basil and the chives just don't want to germinate.

Tomorrow will be a nice day, in the 70s, so I'll be out early putting in eggplant, zucchini, peppers and even some tomatoes.....keeping row cover always handy just in case.
I was a newby last year...my garden 05-15-11
Here's my Swiss chard. The 3 Oregon Spring tomatoes were put in a few weeks ago. They can be planted a month before last frost, but I notice they don't do much growing since planted, tho they are healthy. You can see two Basil upper left slowly dying for unknown reasons. Maybe I watered them too much.
It continues to be a learning experience for me. I'm loving it.
I'm always grateful I ordered the SFG book that got me started in veggie gardening.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 5/20/2010, 7:49 am

Lookin' good, Bea! Your garden is coming along nicely.
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 5/20/2010, 11:51 am

Looks terrific! Thanks for sharing with us. Pictures always help inspire me. I keep trying to get my pics off my Blackberry but for some reason it seems to hate my computer. Grrrr! Keep the pics coming--they're awesome!

Carrie
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down