Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Where to start. Toplef10Where to start. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Where to start. I22gcj10Where to start. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Where to start. Toplef10Where to start. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Where to start. I22gcj10Where to start. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Where to start.

+17
donnainzone5
GWN
martha
plantoid
gwennifer
EatYourVeggies
RoOsTeR
littlejo
Lavender Debs
camprn
Goosegirl
littlesapphire
Chopper
BackyardBirdGardner
Furbalsmom
dixie
jhayford
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where to start. Empty Where to start.

Post  jhayford 1/17/2012, 10:56 pm

Hello,

I am trying to plan my new sfg because last year didn't work out so good lol. But my stevia was fun to eat while trying to save the rest.

Anyway I have several acres and have been trying to figure out where to put the new garden. If you had a choice would you put it up against the house thus having to fight the evil shade monster but its convienient or would you put it out in the middle of the "back yard" between the house and back pasture where shade would not be an issue but a hose and walking there on bad back days would be a problem. I will be expanding my farming in the future bit by bit but the garden is the first part to gets settled. Oh I am going to have both fresh eating and canning/storing beds.

Thank you
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Where to start. Empty Re: Where to start.

Post  dixie 1/17/2012, 11:39 pm

I put mine in the front yard, right next to the house and I enjoyed it tremendously. If it had been further from the house I probably wouldn't have tended it nearly as well, even though there is nothing to do but plant, watch it grow, water when needed & harvest. I went out several times a day just to watch & congratulate myself on switching to SFG from row gardening.

As for shade, it didn't get shaded until around 3-4 PM, so I had no issues with lack of sun.

Let us know what you decide.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/18/2012, 1:11 am

jhayford wrote:If you had a choice would you put it up against the house thus having to fight the evil shade monster but its convienient or would you put it out in the middle of the "back yard" between the house and back pasture where shade would not be an issue but a hose and walking there on bad back days would be a problem.

I would try for a happy medium. If you have an evil shade monster lurking up close to the house, put the garden as close to the house as you can while still avoiding that devil for most of the day.

My own SFGs get shade around 4 or 5 pm in the summer due to trees.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/18/2012, 11:28 am

I would be more interested in why your SFG "didn't work" last year?
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 1/18/2012, 2:58 pm

I would be interested in why it did not work either. I would also not set myself up for failure. Shade is shade. It is either there or it isn't. If there is too much, what's to battle? Do not plant there. That said, the closer to the house the more likely you will keep up. That is one of the big things in ANSFG - having the garden a true kitchen garden and easily accessible.

You can add a water spigot father away from the house if need be - or a long hose. On bad back days the best thing to do is get up and walk. And - keep a chair in the garden. If it is the front of the house that faces south, then by all means, put your garden there if possible.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/18/2012, 3:20 pm

How is the house situated? I ask because the front of my house is almost exactly facing the west. If I put any gardens along the back of my house, I would get a lot of morning sun, but around 2 it would start to get shaded out. However! I have several gardens along the side of my house, which faces the south! Man, those gardens do very very well. Not only do they get a lot of sun, but they're protected from heavy winds, they're easy to get to, and the deer have never bothered them (unlike the gardens I have out at the edge of my yard).
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  jhayford 1/18/2012, 4:33 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:I would be more interested in why your SFG "didn't work" last year?

Well it was a variety of things trying to start too late in the summer with the wrong plants. I tried to use cinder blocks to make my squares and that was a disaster. And people can't keep their sinking cats and dogs on their own propety. We don't really have property divide fences like in the suburbs so that made it a bigger issue.

So I want to move it more to the back of the house. Put up some of the orange fence untill I know the area is good and make my boxes proper.

I think that I figured out where to put it. Kinda a happy medium. I took out a pool for safety reasons (above ground) and the deck is going to be taken out when i get to that. Its not up againt the house but not to far either and I can use the some of the wood in my garden stuff. It is already level a nice sandy bed. I would say probably 20 yards or less away?
jhayford
jhayford

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/18/2012, 8:57 pm

[quote="jhayford"]
BackyardBirdGardner wrote:I would be more interested in why your SFG "didn't work" last year?
snip....... And people can't keep their sinking cats and dogs on their own propety. We don't really have property divide fences like in the suburbs so that made it a bigger issue.[quote]

I feel your pain on this one. We just had a new neighbor move in and their little pooch is not on a chain - no fenced yards in the neighborhood. Right now we are covered in ice and it does not matter much (except watching where I step on the way to my car) but I fear for my boxes come spring, as they are in the side yard, between our house and theirs.....

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/18/2012, 9:09 pm

Leash law or potato gun... hard to decide... Where to start. 27650

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Where to start. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 1/18/2012, 9:16 pm

camprn wrote:Leash law or potato gun... hard to decide... Where to start. 27650

Or those motion sensor sprinklers...
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/18/2012, 9:18 pm

Chopper wrote:
camprn wrote:Leash law or potato gun... hard to decide... Where to start. 27650

Or those motion sensor sprinklers...
+1 Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Where to start. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 1/18/2012, 9:55 pm

I vote paint ball gun. Easier to load and shoot than a spud gun. I like bright pink. Make sure everyone knows my color so the owner can easily find out who is making them wash their dog. Caution.....paint balls can leave a good bruise or dent your car. Make sure you test them on the local children who are willing to wear a bike helmet and goggles so you can perfect your aim on moving targets. (They will shoot back)

Yosemite Debs.....who saves the frozen paint balls for chicken eating raccoons.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/18/2012, 10:13 pm

lol!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/18/2012, 10:22 pm

My outdoor only cat decided my mm was perfect to lay on and if it was real loose she might take a bathroom break.

I tried smacking her with the shovel, but I was too slow. I took that cheap plastic netting to keep out birds and laid it on the garden where the dirt was free of plants. I have my peas growing up thru it. she gave up, will not dig and doesn't lay in the beds either.

As for the dogs, if you see the owner of the dog,( don't let them know you know) Just metion you have a gun for all the stray dogs. Worked for me.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/18/2012, 10:44 pm

littlejo wrote:My outdoor only cat decided my mm was perfect to lay on and if it was real loose she might take a bathroom break.

I tried smacking her with the shovel, but I was too slow. I took that cheap plastic netting to keep out birds and laid it on the garden where the dirt was free of plants. I have my peas growing up thru it. she gave up, will not dig and doesn't lay in the beds either.

As for the dogs, if you see the owner of the dog,( don't let them know you know) Just metion you have a gun for all the stray dogs. Worked for me.
Jo

Shocked

I vote paint ball gun. Easier to load and shoot than a spud gun. I like bright pink. Make sure everyone knows my color so the owner can easily find out who is making them wash their dog. Caution.....paint balls can leave a good bruise or dent your car. Make sure you test them on the local children who are willing to wear a bike helmet and goggles so you can perfect your aim on moving targets. (They will shoot back)

rofl

Where to start. Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/19/2012, 12:11 am

Prior to moving into my home, the tenant before me had put in a standard row garden, approximately 20' x 30' in the back yard, which faces south. Despite his efforts, youth and good intentions, there were already five times more weed varieties than edible vegetables when I moved in.

Well, before looking at the home or seeing there was a garden, I had planned to start my third SFG in five years, this spring. Rather than weed or do anything with the existing garden last year, I allowed the squirrels to harvest the corn, strawberries and other goodies, but that will have to stop this year because there’s a new gardener in town.

Initially I considered a Paint ball gun. Figuring the squirrels would develop a complex, being painted yellow and/or hot pink and not wanting to return. Then I started considering kinetic energy of a paint ball vs. the body mass of a squirrel, deciding a paint ball would probably kill a squirrel due to internal hemorrhaging.

So now I’m undecided. I’m not a tree hugger, but the squirrels were here before me and have a right to exist as long as they don’t cause excessive damage. However, just asking them to behave, probably isn’t going to work and therefore, I’m considering a small electric fence. Also, I’m hoping this will keep any feral cats from using my Mel’s Mix as a litter box.

After reading where this thread has gone so far, I may look into the motion detector sprinklers, but am also open to other ideas that folks have successfully used to deter varmints. Among other means, I also own a high powered pellet rifle, but as mentioned, don’t want to kill them if I don’t have to, just teach them to mind their manners.
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/19/2012, 1:42 am

Lavender Debs wrote:I vote paint ball gun. Easier to load and shoot than a spud gun. I like bright pink. Make sure everyone knows my color so the owner can easily find out who is making them wash their dog. Caution.....paint balls can leave a good bruise or dent your car. Make sure you test them on the local children who are willing to wear a bike helmet and goggles so you can perfect your aim on moving targets. (They will shoot back)

Where to start. 889526 Where to start. 889526 Where to start. 889526 Best. Post. Ever.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/19/2012, 7:09 am

EYV,
If you are a meat eater .. shoot the squirrels as head shots if you're a decent shot , three or four squirrels are delicious if skinned & guttted when warm ,then cooked in a red wine sauce or done as any of the many rabbit dishes such as poaching in milk or apple wine vinegar, with mustard sauce etc etc.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/19/2012, 10:20 am

The dogs should keep away the cats. The cats should keep away the squirrels. The neighbors should keep away their dogs...

(Once you figure out how to keep away the dogs, then maybe change to granulated predator urine for the squirrels.)
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  jhayford 1/19/2012, 9:16 pm

EatYourVeggies wrote:
Among other means, I also own a high powered pellet rifle, but as mentioned, don’t want to kill them if I don’t have to, just teach them to mind their manners.

If you shoot them you can eat them that is what they do here in the south. Oh and most of the neighbors on this road have several guns for fun or hunting or protection so they just don't care about other peoples property and animal control is worthless as a 3 dollar bill.
jhayford
jhayford

Back to top Go down

Post  jhayford 1/19/2012, 9:18 pm

Oh yeah I did figure out where to put the garden. lol
jhayford
jhayford

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/19/2012, 9:21 pm

You say "tree huggers" like it is bad thing Smile

I have had pretty good success with "scare Crows" the motion sensor sprinklers.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Where to start. Empty Squirrels on Steroids!

Post  donnainzone5 1/20/2012, 1:30 pm

I mentioned squirrels in a previous post who were burying green pine cones in my SFG.

A week or so ago, while digging another square, my trowel went "thunk!" I explored, only discover a huge green pine cone. I dusted it off, measured it roughly, and brought it inside to weigh it. The dimensions were 6" long and 9 oz.!

Anyone have any idea what size squirrel could do this? And what it must be eating?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  killjug 1/20/2012, 1:54 pm

On the squarrel issue, an electric fence will kill a squarrel if the wire hits its head. I have seen that happen at my dads house. he had an electric fence around the top of his yard fence to keep his dog from jumping into his chicken pen. We kept finding dead squarrels and could not figure out why. one day we watched as one climbed down a tree the fence was hooked to and when his head brushed the fence he fell down dead. I also hunt squarrels and have shoot on twice through the chest cavity with a 22 and had to pull it out of a hole in a log and shoot it in the head to kill it. It would have died but this was about 5 minutes after it was shoot. A squarrel will survive a paint ball strike unless you hit it in the head with a frozen paintball. Love the post for coons but think if you can get some hot pepper balls they would be better for that.
killjug

Male Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Where to start. Empty Farmers Rules

Post  AranMC 1/20/2012, 6:54 pm

Farmers Rules

1: Shoot Once
2: Bury Deep
3: Say Nothing....

Very Happy

Aran
AranMC
AranMC

Female Posts : 80

http://vibrantinhealth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next