Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Buying Seeds Toplef10Buying Seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Buying Seeds I22gcj10Buying Seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Buying Seeds Toplef10Buying Seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Buying Seeds I22gcj10Buying Seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Buying Seeds

+14
floyd1440
LittleGardener
CharlesB
nycquilter
Turan
boffer
CCgirl75
cyclonegardener
quiltbea
beth.hill.712
happycamper
J in VA
rowena___.
cpl100
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Buying Seeds Empty Buying Seeds

Post  cpl100 7/9/2012, 4:38 pm

Just wondering...where do you all get your seeds? Do you just go to the local store and buy them or do you buy them from one of the sites listed in this forum? (Yes, I did see the list!) I noticed Burpee is not on the list which has me worried because I purchased a bunch of Burpee seeds already at the store. Is there some known issue with Burpee seeds not performing or just being inferior?

Is there some kind of additive that must be used on beans? I saw that mentioned somewhere but did not understand it. And, I planted four bean seeds in a pot as a test and nothing has happened as yet--10 days later.

It has taken me so long to make the bed that I will be crushed if nothing grows!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Buying Seeds Empty Re: Buying Seeds

Post  rowena___. 7/9/2012, 6:01 pm

i buy my seeds at a local nursery that carries a wide selection including open-pollinated/heirloom seeds, and F1 hybrids.

burpee is a good company--they developed the big boy tomato and iceberg lettuce. they were big in the victory garden movement during both world wars.

the main reason i get seed catalogs is so i can see what is new. but i almost always buy locally because as much as possible i prefer to keep my money in my neighborhood, and i prefer to support local small businesses.

rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Buying Seeds Empty Buying Seeds

Post  J in VA 7/9/2012, 6:24 pm

Some folks like to order seeds from mailorder catalogs because they have greater variety or access to heirlooms that they can't buy locally. There is also the issue that some like to avoid companies owned/controlled by Monsanto which is responsible for GMO seeds. Evil or Very Mad

One of our favorite companies to order from is Baker Seed in MO. When I can I like to use heirlooms and could save the seeds although I've not been THAT organized yet.

J in VA
J in VA
J in VA

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 7/9/2012, 6:44 pm

It is my personal preference to only buy non GMO (non genetically modified) seeds. I am fortunate that Territorial and Victory Seed are within a one hour drive in my home state of Oregon. I do buy from catalogs but only from companies that have taken the safe seed pledge. I grow everything from seed and have found that purchasing from a company that grows and sells its own seed (for the most part) pretty much ensures a successful crop for my growing climate in the PNW.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/9/2012, 7:04 pm

happycamper wrote:It is my personal preference to only buy non GMO (non genetically modified) seeds. I am fortunate that Territorial and Victory Seed are within a one hour drive in my home state of Oregon. I do buy from catalogs but only from companies that have taken the safe seed pledge. I grow everything from seed and have found that purchasing from a company that grows and sells its own seed (for the most part) pretty much ensures a successful crop for my growing climate in the PNW.

Yes, I would definitely prefer non GMO seeds. Is there a way I can tell which companies have only those? Or do I just go and search out each website?

I do not recall seeing anything about GMO mentioned on the Burpee seeds I purchased. Now I have upset myself!

Thanks for that reminder.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  beth.hill.712 7/9/2012, 7:18 pm

I have a great "seed" tip: I started buying seed this year from a "prepper" company that only sells heirloom variety seeds for almost every veggie type you can think of. My Patriot Supply sells heirloom varieties for each and every vegetable and fruit and almost all herbs with some varieties dating all the way back to the early 1900's!! They sell the seeds n resealable foil packets in water-proof cannisters that can be buried in the ground if necessary. The seed can last for a number of years from one purchase and the pricing in terms of SAVING BIG on $$$ is HUGE!!! The company is called "My Patriot Supply" and the seed packets are MUCH LARGER than what Burpees sells seed for 3 to 4 times the price for 1/4 the amount of seed per packet (in many cases for the same type of seed!! No kidding!! The customer service from this company is also AMAZING and they get the seeds out to the customer literally within DAYS of ordering--year round!! So one can order a full range of seed RIGHT NOW for planning fall plantings and get almost every veggie they would be looking to get in late winter for spring planting. Very NICE!!! Check them out!!! BTW cost per seed packet for ALL seeds is $1.95 in US dollars. Check out MyPatriotSupply.Com Smile

Note: I plan to buy ALL of my needed seeds for NEXT YEAR from this company as soon as the season winds down this fall...in case the US economy goes south or runaway inflation as to seed pricing occurs between now and next spring....I will have my garden seed and not have to worry? ALL seed this compny sells is NON-GMO and Heirloom Smile

Last edited by beth.hill.712 on 7/9/2012, 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Afterthought for the post..buying seed ahead of time to guard against inflation)
beth.hill.712
beth.hill.712

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/9/2012, 7:33 pm

Don't worry about Burpee. I buy their organic seed packets at the local big box stores when I find something I like. This year it was their burpless cucumber.

I also buy from a couple of favorites online, like johnnyseeds.com, Comstock seeds, and Baker Seeds mostly and swap here thru our seedswapping page in late winter for something I want to try first before buying a whole packet.

If you buy, keep them in your crisper in the fridge if you want them to be viable for a longer period. For example, you can save seeds for 5 years with tomatoes this way and germination will still be high.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/9/2012, 7:38 pm

Oops, I forgot to respond about innoculants. We tried an experiment at our community garden this year. One section of sugar peas were coated with innoculant when planted, and the other section were not. The ones that were (we also soaked them overnite in water) germinated a week sooner which we attributed to presoaking them and right now they are producing more peas than those that weren't covered with innoculant and this we attribute to the innoculant itself. I'd say it helps. It helps fix the nitrogen in the roots of the peas and beans.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/9/2012, 7:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for that useful information.

Regarding innoculant, do I just trot myself down to HD, Lowes or the hardware store and buy it? It seems like it should be a small package for something like that. Is it? Any guideline as to what is a fair price? And does it store well? (Seems like a product that would deteriorate with storage but I know nothing, obviously.)
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/9/2012, 8:29 pm

I was amazed at how expensive it was this year as opposed to the year before. Prices have skyrocketed for it around here. I think I spent $9.95 for a small package. It doesn't keep very long but I've used it a 2nd year with good results. Try online at johnnyseeds which carries it. I couldn't find it at Lowe's or Home Depot. I found mine locally at Blue Seal Feeds, a feed and grain store. Tractor Supply must also carry it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 7/9/2012, 10:28 pm

I buy mine from several sources and usually stick with heirlooms: Seed Savers and Baker creek are two favorites. Lately, I've been buying heirlooms at a bulk food store run by the mennonites. They buy the seeds in large bulk quantities and sell it for pennies on the dollar. I also patronize a local hardware store that caters to Mel's mix.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 7/9/2012, 10:30 pm

Cyclone Gardener --

I live in SW Iowa but would love to know your source for Mel's Mix. Thanks!
CCgirl75
CCgirl75

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 7/9/2012, 10:55 pm

CC girl. My source doesn't actually sell the mix, but has I feel the best ingredients to make the mix. It's Wasko Hardware, Keosauqua. If you come in the spring, call ahead as he sells out from time to time. A lot of Amish buy from him. Also, Dutchman's Store in Cantril has hard to find manure soils that I use and other amendments, plus some heirloom seeds. We have a lot of Amish and mennonites in Van Buren County.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 7/9/2012, 11:34 pm

Thank you! It might be worth a trip over that direction sometime.
CCgirl75
CCgirl75

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/10/2012, 12:03 am

Re: inoculant

Some folks swear by it; some never use it.

Here's more info to help you decide:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t9960-inoculation-yea-or-nay
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/10/2012, 12:39 am

I buy from a small local supplier Fisher's Seeds. Judy started helping her uncle Ken and became his partner and then took over for him when he died a few years back. Some of the seed she raises herself, selecting for our climate. I especially like the Mountaineer winter squash her uncle developed and she keeps going.
Then i also buy from Territorial and Irish Eyes/GardenCity. They all are small businesses and select for closer to my climate.

I use legume inoculate, it seems to help. But I use it less now because my beds have been around a while and I assume there it is part of the soil ecosystem now.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Buying Seeds Empty innoculant and seed storage

Post  J in VA 7/16/2012, 11:39 pm

I bought a small package of innoculant a couple of years ago and stored it in my refrigerator. It seems to still be working well as we had our best peas ever this year.

I store my seeds in my chest freezer in their packets in a manilla envelope and they seem to germinate just as well as last year. Anyone had bad luck doing that?
J in VA
J in VA

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 7/17/2012, 6:57 am

this is the first year I used innoculant and it seems to have made a very positive difference. I try to buy only from companies that have a close-to-zero carbon footprint--Johnny's, Territorial, and Seeds of Change. I am going to try to harvest seeds this year. Last year, my coriander reseeded herself and was one of the first to start coming up.
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 7/17/2012, 9:24 am

Fav's
http://www.nativeseeds.org/
http://www.bountifulgardens.org/
http://www.highmowingseeds.com/
http://rareseeds.com/
http://ohioheirloomseeds.com/ (Good prices, small op)

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/
http://www.jungseed.com/

I also get some great seeds from the dollar store (American Seed Co.). I like their kohrabi, cabbage and muncher cuke. Just because it is inexpensive doesn't mean it is bad.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/22/2012, 6:35 am

Middlemomma suggested we ask her to add more companies to her Stickie up there, has she been here since May?
http://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx?hierId=8 - Maybe someone could add the SeedSavers Exchange Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/22/2012, 7:12 am

J in VA wrote:I bought a small package of innoculant a couple of years ago and stored it in my refrigerator. It seems to still be working well as we had our best peas ever this year.

I store my seeds in my chest freezer in their packets in a manilla envelope and they seem to germinate just as well as last year. Anyone had bad luck doing that?

I was fortunate to receive some seeds from another forum member last fall. They came in a manilla evelope, which turned out to be classified as a "coin" envelope, and I kept them in a sealed in a mason jar in the fridge and wondered if they would last till the next spring.
Fortunately the ones I planted all germinated and since I had planted more than I needed I gave some of my plants to my neighbors.

Now I plan to save some seeds this year so I purchased some of the coin envelopes and will be saving and storing the seeds I want for future years....
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/22/2012, 3:32 pm

"LittleGardenerwrote:"
Middlemomma suggested we ask her to add more companies to her Stickie up there, has she been here since May?
http://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx?hierId=8 - Maybe someone could add the SeedSavers Exchange Smile

Added Seedsavers to the list.

Buying Seeds Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/22/2012, 8:44 pm

Floyd, don't save them too long! They do lose germination potency with time.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/22/2012, 9:10 pm

What exactly is an inoculate, what do you do with it and is it for certain plants or all plants? Also, is it possible to save seeds from all veggies? Do you exchange seeds amongst each other?
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/22/2012, 9:21 pm

songstriss wrote:What exactly is an inoculate, what do you do with it and is it for certain plants or all plants? Also, is it possible to save seeds from all veggies? Do you exchange seeds amongst each other?
The inoculant helps build up rhizobia that help the plant fix nitrogen. This link will take you to an article that explains it. This is only for legumes.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/crops/00305.html/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Buying Seeds WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next